t-roy 05-Jan-20
SixLomaz 05-Jan-20
yooper89 05-Jan-20
Mule Power 06-Jan-20
Scrappy 06-Jan-20
Surfbow 06-Jan-20
franklin 06-Jan-20
05-Jan-20
Looking for recommendations on an elk drop camp hunt. My son is a sophomore and is graduating in two years and wants to go for his graduation present. This will be our first elk hunt. Hoping to see if anyone has anybody leads for a good outfitter . Or anyone we should avoid. Thanks Dax

05-Jan-20
We went with Fred Eichler a few years ago. The price was good. Area was great. We where into elk everyday 4 guys in camp all had atleast 1 shot op on a bull, some had more... We saw many elk, and mule deer. I have nothing but good to say, I couldn't have asked for a better trip. If your interested you can pm me with any questions.

05-Jan-20
Do your homework. I’ve been on several, but long ago. They were expensive camping trips. Not even close to getting any shots.

05-Jan-20
PM sent

05-Jan-20
There was a great review recently for a drop camp in Idaho....a great sleeper state for non-residents. Good luck as drop camps are either good or really really bad.

05-Jan-20
We had a negative experience trying to book a drop camp hunt with Fawn Gulch outfitters in Colorado several years back. Tried booking with them at a sports show, which they told us they had a slot for us, but would send us specifics on the hunt as well as a contract, once they got home in a week. We waited for a few weeks without a response, then we finally called. They apologized and would send something out right away. Another 2-3 weeks and still nothing. After that, they wouldn’t even respond to our calls or emails. We finally gave up and had to scramble to try and set something else up, last minute (which ended up working out great for us) Fortunately, we had not given them a deposit, but we wasted 2-3 months assuming that we had a spot, when we could have been trying to set up something else.

05-Jan-20
T-Roy, their lack of follow up likely saved you from a crappy hunt. If they can’t manage something that simple.......

05-Jan-20
Definitely agree, Dale. I see their booth at the Deer Classic each year. I just bite my tongue and walk on past.

05-Jan-20
Why spend money on an expensive tent camp risking disappointment? Trust your determination and walk the talk. I paid altogether $2800 in 2018 for a 3 weeks successful elk hunt in CO after 6 months of research and preparation. It is hard work but with a sweet aftertaste at the end of the hunt. Go DIY to Colorado or Idaho. Both states have adequate public resources to help you narrow down 3 hunt areas. Allocate at least 3 weeks and you will be successful. Do not mistake hunting elk with camping if you want to return home with meat in the freezer. Once in the field trust your gut instinct and go where no vehicles are permitted, in a difficult terrain where few dare walk let alone hunt. Build your own story to tell your grandchildren. Good luck.

05-Jan-20
Allocating 3 weeks is easier said than done for most folks.

06-Jan-20
Or Wyoming DIY. No need to narrow it down. Just pick a general unit and hunt it. You’ll find elk.

PM sent

06-Jan-20
We should do a poll on folks that have done a drop camp hunt in the last 10 years to see what the percent of guys that didn't feel ripped off after the hunt. Maybe we all just remember all the horror stories longer than the good ones. Just reading here on bowsite as well as other sites I have a real feeling that most feel ripped off.

06-Jan-20
^Scrappy, many of those horror stories are from guys who expect to be 'dropped' into the middle of a herd of elk and don't realize they'll actually have to hunt them still...

06-Jan-20
You might want to throw "guided hunts" into that poll also....lol.

You can get non-primo landowner tags in N.Mexico for $2500 and be into elk....the landowner will even tell you where they are at.

• Sitka Gear