Bou'bound 09-Jan-20
Hawkarcher 09-Jan-20
Kannuck 10-Jan-20
Jack Harris 10-Jan-20
12yards 10-Jan-20
SBH 10-Jan-20
APauls 10-Jan-20
07-Jan-20
I think a lot has been posted over the past 5-10 years regarding just how absurd and horrible most of the popular hunting shows are and what they evolved into such as the typical "smoked him" (but really gut shot with a rage in the cage) and many are just nothing but infomercials for the most overly hyped brands, and just overall really bad music and acting and staging etc.

Fast forward to an episode of Heartland Bowhunter I had previously taped and watched last night. It was the second episode of a Kodiak brown bear bow hunt. Keep in mind - bear hunting doesn't even appeal to me in the least. However they really captured the essence of the hunt and after distress calling then growling in a big bear to 10-12 yards, it had my heart thumping (a real pants crapper if you will). Mike Hunsicker had no choice but to shoot a standing,, walking bear as it was nearly on them (had no less than two guides carrying heavy artillery as backup thankfully). He somehow kept it together to make the shot and must have gotten heart because you could see the blood gushing as the arrows zipped through and the bear ran downhill and did a flip and roll after 30 yards and was dead at 60 in a matter of seconds! Also looked like he was shooting my favorite head - a solid VPA 3 blade and he certainly got out of it what they do best (penetration with full pass-through). Anyway - just incredible amazing footage and hunting at it's best and a heavy dose of risk/danger on this hunt and with this shot. I do like the way this show is produced overall, and Mike and Sean are the kind of hunters I could easily feel comfortable hunting with and their shows are extremely well produced. Anyone else see that episode and what are your thoughts on today's shows? I also have some episodes of "Buck Commander" recorded and just completely differently produced and it has country stars Jason Aldean or Luke Bryan in them - but my god the one episode I saw with Aldean was freakin' hilarious with the ball busting so I will say that was very watchable.

07-Jan-20
Heartland Bowhunter has very good videography. I enjoy that aspect of the show immensely.

07-Jan-20
Finally? Heartland's been doing this for 10yrs +/-

07-Jan-20
SITO - really stopped watching shows that were on PURSUIT channel which is what I had on Directv... Recently switched to cable and now get Outdoor Channel, which is where I was able to see a few episodes of HB and started recording it because it was good.

07-Jan-20
I've been involved in a few "made for TV" hunts, and I know how different the actual hunt was versus what was shown on TV. I've also grown tired of watching animals run off with over half the arrow flopping out of their sides, then 8-12 hours later, after an exhaustive search that is never shown, they show the proud hunter holding the animal and proclaiming how devastating their mechanical broadhead was.

Uncle Ted's show is embarrassing. Tiffany is no longer the hottie she used to be before having kids. That Pig dude is an idiot. Even Waddell's act has gotten stale.

I rarely watch any hunting shows these days.

Matt

07-Jan-20
Grey Ghost - I was where you are at with shows for many of the reasons and examples you listed. Watch HB - if you can find the Kodiak Bear hunt, well worth watching but all their shows seem to be very good

07-Jan-20
I agree with the comment regarding HB's videography being top-notch. I've watched all the hunting shows out there, and I continue to think HB has the best overall videography. HB's show opening/intro from years ago (showing the retracing of steps leading up to an actual bow shot) is my favorite opening/intro of any hunting show; the accompanying music was terrific.

07-Jan-20
Western Hunter is awesome

07-Jan-20
I typically enjoy HB, and I did see that hunt Jack. It was a heart pumper for sure. I also enjoy Eastman's Hunting TV. Don't know how you guys feel about Red Arrow, but that Kip dude is funny. The commercials are great. Also enjoy watching Midwest Whitetail and some of the Hunting Public you tube stuff. I don't mind The Crush. They go on some pretty cool hunts and I think Tiff has gotten more women into the sport than just about anybody. Lee did a Griz hunt one time that was equally as heart pumping.

07-Jan-20
Nothing against the Kisky's but that whitetail freaks show is practically unwatchable. "Kandyland"... give me a break... I did record it but after watching a few, deleted them. Again nothing personal I know they are experts on whitetail management and hunting but there is something missing there when it comes to production value.

07-Jan-20
HB is a great show, another fantastic one is Jim Shockey's Uncharted.

07-Jan-20
Nick I bet you loved that HB Kodiak Bear episode!

07-Jan-20
There are only a few I will watch. Heartland Bowhunter is one of them.

07-Jan-20
For the most part I stopped watching hunting shows about 10 years ago.

07-Jan-20
Winke’s Midwest Whitetails and Dr. Grant Woods is all I watch. Used to watch Ivan Carter and still do every now and then, but that side of the dial usually isn’t on my radar, so I can’t really say what’s over there now. I don’t get the Sportsman channel in my package or I would watch Bowhunter tv, must you can’t miss what you don’t have......

07-Jan-20
The Hunting public on YouTube . Those boys are killers and doing it right. Fun to watch the excitement !! Hunt

07-Jan-20
I like Uncle Ted and I still think Tiffy is cute plus she has made it thru her cancer bout so far....good for her.

I'll sometimes watch a show if it is something other than whitetail hunting. Most of those whitetail shows tend to get old and stale. A few months ago I watched that fella on the Bucks Of Tecomonte take a Montana heart shot on a deer with a ML and didn't recover the deer. He was impatient and rushed the shot instead of waiting for a broadside shot....at least he was honest about it and showed it. I suspect these TV hunters wing alot of animals and you won't see that.

07-Jan-20
Meat Eater & Solo Hunter are pretty good.

07-Jan-20
Stuck in the Rut on YouTube is damn good too.

07-Jan-20
Heart Land is very good but Meat Eater is my # one. I see lately that his cooking and eating in the field as caught on, on other outdoor shows. Showing that we actually kill an animal and then eat it with gusto, is good PR. my best, Paul

07-Jan-20
Heartland has been one of the best for awhile now. They all seem to be good folks as well. The trend now seems to be more of a contrived "day in the life" of hunting celeb X type of programming.

07-Jan-20
Western Hunter is great!

07-Jan-20
Both Mike Hunsinger and Lee Lacosky hunted with Cole Kramer for Brown Bear. Each shot giants. Both shows were absolutely top shelf.

Cody Robbins show is also terrific.

07-Jan-20
So he took a full frontal on a Grizz? Is that on YouTube ?

I don’t subscribe to that other stuff.

07-Jan-20
I don't even have cable and there are more good shows available for free than I have time to watch. There are many good shows on youtube. I believe Heartland Bowhunter is on there, or maybe it's on Waypoint TV (another free hunting TV show platform) The Hunting Public, Midwest whitetail, Randy Newberg, Meateater, Brad Fry stuff, there are many great options where you don't even have to pay a dime. The Brad Fry I love cause it's Canadian and huge huge animals and just regular farmer Joe type guys. As HUNT stated, the Hunting Public is very well done, and very refreshing. They hunt like we do in many ways. Although Jack you might not want to watch them - they don't use VPA's ;) Live2Hunt with Cody Robbins is ridiculously good but not available for free that I know of.

If you are complaining because there "isn't any good content" you clearly haven't looked hard enough. If you find fishing even mildly entertaining you need to look up Uncut Angling on youtube. By far the best fishing entertainment ever made, from a fellow Manitoban. Especially the 39 hours series.

07-Jan-20
The only one we record is Fred Eichler.

07-Jan-20
Jack, if all you had to compare to were shows on the Pursuit channel in the past, you're in for an eye opener. Although there are still some, ok many, bad ones on Outdoor and Sportsman Channels, they are all for the most part better produced than those on the Pursuit Channel. I had all 3 channels for years and rarely ever watched anything on Pursuit.

Have fun finding out which shows you like and don't during your new channel surfing!

07-Jan-20
Huntman nailed it. The Hunting Public on Youtube. Best hunting show going. I like Meat Eater when it comes to "big time shows"... But man, The Hunting Public does such a good show, you feel like you "know the crew" and are pulling for them as the season rolls on. It's fun to see how they do and approach things.

07-Jan-20
Huntcell - STANDING full frontal, the bear was walking on hind legs looking for a fight after the guide did some bear growls. Imagine a full size kodiak brown bearing down on you standing over 10' tall, and releasing at 12 yards! I could not find video for free view on internet. I did take video of the kill shot with my phone... Not sure I can post it here

07-Jan-20
That would be high level pucker factor for sure.

Who is your buddy now. Sure hope the back up gunners took the jokes back at camp in a good way.

07-Jan-20
“ Tiffany is no longer the hottie she used to be before having kids.“

What an outrageous comment! She still looks pretty damn good to me. And aside from that, now being a mom to a couple kids, an avid and successful hunter, AND fighting and winning her cancer battle... I think she’s even hotter now IMO! Bravo Tiff.

08-Jan-20
No love for The High Fence with Keith Warren?.....unbelievable

08-Jan-20
Heartland has first class video. Rex, Shawns dad, I used to work for in a machine shop. They have built rails for the cameras to move on and changed a lot of the shows approach from just showing a hunter killing an animal to doing amazing shots of the great outdoors. A lot of us see much more in God's great outdoors and they get that. Nap sponsors them, broadhead maybe a Hellrazor; they usually use mechanicals. I'm sure the knew better for a big bear!

08-Jan-20
Western Hunter, Heartland Bowhunter, major league bowhunter are some I like but the YouTube stuff to me is even better. Hunting public and Midwest whitetail.

08-Jan-20
The Hunting Public on YouTube for me as well. They’ve been down here in MS having a hard time with this weather. They are a blast to hunt with and just like you see them on the screen. No premadonna attitudes and working hard to keep the content in line with what their viewers want. I don’t watch the OC at all anymore.

08-Jan-20
I haven't watch hunting shows for years now.

I go on YouTube, and watch average guys, trying to self film a hunt. That is the real world.

Screwing up, missing deer, being thrilled with taking a doe or spike.

That's what i enjoy.

08-Jan-20
There are a lot of good shows on now. There are some real crappers too. The HB episode where he shoots the bear frontal was great. I am pretty sure he was shooting a Hellrazor though as they are sponsored by NAP.

08-Jan-20
I usually watch The Hunting Public and The Untamed on youtube.

08-Jan-20
I don't think it was a Hellrazor as it was nonvented.

08-Jan-20
Meateater is the only one that’s been worth watching to me for several years.

08-Jan-20
Yeah regarding his BH it looked non-vented to me so I though VPA. Whatever it was it sure as hell worked flawlessly and zipped right through I am not sure the guns would have killed that bear as fast!

08-Jan-20
The only one I don't see listed (may have overlooked tho) is The Hunting Beast. Down to earth, good stuff and pretty educational as well.

08-Jan-20
Heartland is good. Shockey’s shows are still my favorites-Uncharted is the best. Live 2 hunt with Cody and Kelsey is another I watch frequently.

08-Jan-20
"I usually watch The Hunting Public and The Untamed on youtube."

x2

Those guys HUNT!

08-Jan-20
I'm not sure I would hunt Kodiak bear with a bow. If I need 2 guys next to me with canons to back me up, I'd feel pretty weak about the situation. I'd just use my own rifle. If I still require backup, well that's fine. I'll try to find and watch the show, might change my thinking. I've been wrong before.

08-Jan-20
PECO I think it makes good sense to hunt those animals with as much backup as possible. Not sure I understand why it would be a limiting factor to bow hunt?

08-Jan-20
SDHNTR + 1

She is a fantastic all around person and promoter of woman’s bow hunting.

08-Jan-20
Midwest Whitetail

08-Jan-20
If you enjoyed the HB Kodiak hunt look at KUIU's youtube channel for "Footsteps of Giants". Very well done

08-Jan-20
The Hunting Public and The hunting beast are weekly watchings for me as they give out info on real hunting.

08-Jan-20
Western Hunter is the best show going I think

08-Jan-20
I like Meat Eater (probably one of my favorites), I think he is a pretty straight forward and stand up guy! Anything by Newberg is also a favorite, he is awesome and a true bowhunter and sportsman, he is right there with Rinella if not above... Born and Raised outdoors and Eichler are always great! Tred Barta is entertaining and so is Tim Wells, I think Wells is nuts, but that may be why I like him:)

08-Jan-20
It doesn't matter but I actually thought it was vented when I watched it, but it sounds like I was mistaken.

09-Jan-20
Just watched HB and the Kodiak bear hunt. Show was very well done, IMO. Major pucker factor, calling that bear into 10-12 yards for sure!

I have a question for guys that would actually know (or at least a pretty good idea) vs the armchair bowhunters. It looked to me that his shot was a bit high (2-3”) and to the right (4-6”) of where I would have guessed would be ideal shot placement. Obviously, it killed the bear, and very quickly at that. My question is, was his shot in the ideal spot, or would further left and/or lower be a better aiming point?

09-Jan-20
Jack Harris, I'm just saying for me, I'm not interested in taking an arrow to a bear fight or any other fight that I need someone to back me up with a big rifle. I'll take the rifle myself. Not saying it is wrong for anyone else.

09-Jan-20
My preference in order: Meat Eater, Jim Shockey, Fred Eichler, Western Hunter, Eastmans, and The Choice. Most of the others are just B.S. and won't waste my time.

09-Jan-20
any Drop Zone fans out there.

09-Jan-20
I’ve had Directv for over a year. Only recently found the Pursuit Channel. Garbage. The other channels I used to have were mostly infomercials but this one is crap. Miss Shockey et al but I guess I can watch YouTube

10-Jan-20
I enjoyed watching "Raised Hunting". Haven't seen it being aired much anymore. Anybody know what happened to it?

10-Jan-20
t-roy asked a good question as it was my thought as well. Impact looked high and way off-center but result looked exactly like perfect heart shot. It seems as though Mike did his homework and knew where to aim for a standing bear heart shot. Two lungs would seem impossible at that angle so had to be perfect heart shot?

10-Jan-20
I thought the same thing, that the shot was off. But I think sometimes we get confused in regards to camera angle vs. shooter angle. I agree the hit looked wrong, but worked great.

10-Jan-20
Lots of good stuff on youtube. Most of the made for tv shows aren't my jam.

10-Jan-20
The beauty of youtube and bowsite is things don't have to be condensed to 20 minute time slots. I'd take some of the 3 day write-ups with photos on here over most shows!

• Sitka Gear