mtnlvr 11-Feb-20
papajack 11-Feb-20
Cornpone 11-Feb-20
elkstabber 13-Feb-20
trentboult 24-Feb-20
VogieMN 24-Feb-20
Jaquomo 24-Feb-20
04-Feb-20
UCSD's thread on freezer failure got me thinking. What is the best remote freezer monitor? My freezer is in the garage, while my wifi router is in the house. I want something that will allow me to check the freezer (or simply get an alert) on my smartphone when I'm away. I don't need all the bells and whistles like humidity monitoring, etc..

I looked at one from Lacrosse, but the reviews all say it won't reset when power blips. I don't want that because power blips where I live. Anyone have any recommendations?

04-Feb-20
Watching ^

04-Feb-20
Me too!

04-Feb-20
I’m also interested. I lost about 100lbs of meat last year. This sounds like a great solution to alleviate my fears

04-Feb-20
I can't speak to the remote monitor, but a surge protector should protect from "blips" (and is just a wise investment for nearly every expensive item that uses electricity). A Wi-Fi extender (I'm not sure what the technical term for that is) parked just inside or just outside your garage should solve the connectivity issue.

04-Feb-20
Buuuuuuut if I lose a 7 foot chest freezer full of meat it will be worth literally thousands of dollars and be an insurance claim and then we are out of meat and my wife will need me to go get some real big game to get things going again at a time when we coincidentally just received thousands of dollars in an insurance claim :/

04-Feb-20
Get a dog.

04-Feb-20

elkstabber's Link
Sorry Jaquomo. This isn't what you're looking for but would work great for a lot of people that don't travel so much. This is a much simpler alarm that has worked very well for me. $18 bucks.

04-Feb-20
APauls, don’t unplug your freezer just ‘cause want to go hunting ! ;-)

04-Feb-20

Svyat619's Link
Faced with the same problem. The solution was a remote control socket

04-Feb-20
APauls...Check your policy. Most don’t have “thousands” of dollars of freezer contents for the freezer glitching. In fact most policies will have only $500 or $1000. Won’t get you too far on a big game hunt. ;)

Sorry Jaq...I got nothing. And I lost contents two freezers this year due to GFI outlet tripping.

04-Feb-20

Jaquomo's Link
This is one I'm considering. It's the one that doesn't automatically reset with a power outage, but aside from that it has pretty good reviews. Around $30 on Amazon. I figure it will be better than nothing and worst case I can have my next door neighbors come over and check the freezer.

04-Feb-20
After loosing a huge freezer full of meat and other goodies, I went a different route. I took that upright high tech electronic POS to the dump. The circuit board did not like to reset after a power glitch. I could have spent $80 for a new board and maybe get the smell out of the freezer but I just chucked it. I bought an new, old school chest freezer, manual defrost, no electronic b.s. and have had no issues. Yes the freezer may die some day, but not a quick as one with an electronic circuit board in it.

04-Feb-20
Kota-man that’s exactly what happened in my situation. A mere power surge during the day when we weren’t home, gfi tripped and a couple days later the smell began. I changed out the gfi so now I want an alarm

04-Feb-20
Thanks Pig Doc. Do us a favor and report back on how it works. I like the "party detect" feature! You know, just in case somebody decides to have a sausage party in my garage while I'm gone..

04-Feb-20
If I had a GF I'd just leave her home to watch it while I'm away. But then....maybe that's why I don't have one. GF I mean.

11-Feb-20
I got an Ambient Weather WS-2000 weather station for Christmas with eight remote temp/humidity sensors. It allows you to set up alerts based off things like temp over or below a set value (humidity, rainfall amounts/rates, wind, wind direction...) as well as graph all data. You can be alerted via email or text. Sensors have good range...I have one monitoring a neighbor's house while they're gone for the winter. I've also got one in my freezer. Sensor battery life is supposedly ~ two years. Base station requires AC power so I'd lose my data logging during the outage, but I should get a text if the station doesn't report for 20 minutes. It was rather expensive, but so far, I really like it.

11-Feb-20
Not sure how elaborate you would want to go but at my place of employment we monitor several vaccine units freezers and refrigerators with TempGuard and Watchdog. The TempGuard provides emails, phone call alarms, and power issue alarms.

11-Feb-20
Well, I started off as a bona fide electrician going through apprenticeship, later became an electronics technologist...still later, with further college, becoming an electrical engineer. There's absolutely no way I'd ever trust an "electronic" freezer...including a GFCI outlet...which is just another electronic device. Get a good monitoring system but never trust electronics to intervene with your power.

13-Feb-20
How about a "temp stick", it's available on Amazon.

24-Feb-20

trentboult's Link
MBA for Executives Program is IIM Calcutta's One Year Full Time Residential Program implied for Executives with over five years of expert experience. It gives mid-vocation experts the perfect stage to enlarge their current ranges of abilities as they try to protection themselves for senior and top administration jobs in the business. Click here https://www.oneyearmba.co.in/one-year-mba-iim-calcutta-post-graduate-programme-for-executives-pgpex/

24-Feb-20
I recently picked up one of these monitors, what temps do you set the upper and lower level at?

24-Feb-20
Vogie, which one did you get?

• Sitka Gear