Highway Star 18-Feb-20
canepole 18-Feb-20
Drahthaar 21-Feb-20
18-Feb-20
It is the lower left tusk of a boar.

18-Feb-20
Warthog?

18-Feb-20
I was going to say beaver incisor, but the fella above probably knows a little bit about hogs!

18-Feb-20
Boar

18-Feb-20
That is a a front claw from a Rocky Mtn Furbutt

18-Feb-20
Sasquatch hands. Definitely. Holding some sort of tooth LOL

That is a HUGE tusk. I've only killed a couple of modest hogs, but their tusks were like 1/4 the length of that one. Maybe less. Seems warthog makes most sense, but you say it could be from anywhere in the world, there are a lot of other wild pigs in various countries.

18-Feb-20
Warthog !

18-Feb-20
Lower jaw warthog tusk

18-Feb-20
It's a Southern raccoon penis bone. Lots of coon hunters keep them.

The ones from up north are much smaller(maybe because of the colder weather ??) and those guys use them as toothpicks.

18-Feb-20
Yup, lower wart hog tusk.

Also possibly one of the fake nails from a trans hairdresser.

18-Feb-20
I’m guessing Warthog tusk...

18-Feb-20
It's mink that we saved penis bones from for toothpicks. Common with us mink trappers in northern Minn anyway.

18-Feb-20
Hillary's Tooth

18-Feb-20

drycreek's embedded Photo
One my son killed
One my son killed
Pretty impressive weapons, especially if he’s pissed !
Pretty impressive weapons, especially if he’s pissed !
Cutters and whetters in East Texas jargon from a boar feral hog. Bad medicine if he gets to use them on you.

18-Feb-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Drycreek may have it. More curve than a warthog.

18-Feb-20
Female warthog

18-Feb-20
I found one that looks just like that on an exotic ranch in CA. They had those hairy boars, not the typical feral hog. With those big straight tusks

18-Feb-20
Boar from the states... The tusks curls back into the jaw. When doing Euro's you have to completely remove the tusks to get the meat out. I've done more than I care to do!

18-Feb-20
Feral hog, domestic hog. Warthogs are solid ivory. Forrest

18-Feb-20

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I have to disagree, Drathaar. I shot 2 warthogs in Africa. Did a euro on one, and just saved the tusks from the other one. I poured epoxy in the cavity of each upper and lower tusk to keep them drying out and splitting.

18-Feb-20
You tried to tell them Matt! I'm guessing you've probably had your hands on as many of those hog tusk as anyone? Hope (semi) retirement is going well for y'all.

18-Feb-20

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Yeah, we may have seen one or two Canepole :) Here are a couple we saved and brought with us. These were pretty decent tusks, but not truly exceptional (those always wanted to go home with the hunters). They're hollow so if you don't fill them with epoxy they will eventually dry out and split like in the pics above.

18-Feb-20

The visible portion of a cutter is the proverbial tip of the iceberg!. My finger is on the outline of this tusk.
The visible portion of a cutter is the proverbial tip of the iceberg!. My finger is on the outline of this tusk.
Here's a closer look at the center tusk from the previous pic. You can see where the gum line was, where there is staining of the tooth just above the gums. The rest of the tooth is hidden inside the jawbone. Someone mentioned that it looked like a beaver incisor, which grows in much the same way. Both rodent incisors and swine tusks grow continually and are kept in check by the opposing teeth. Hence the name whetters for the upper teeth that constantly sharpen the cutters, like a whetstone.

And we are enjoying our "retirement" very much. It's a good feeling to help people with a lot more than bloodtrailing!

-Cheryl

18-Feb-20
My phone won't let me edit the caption, but that was supposed to say gum line not outline.

18-Feb-20
beaver tooth

18-Feb-20
Cheryl glad things are going well. And thanks to you and t-roy on the epoxy tip. I have a couple of sets and they do seem a little fragile.

21-Feb-20
T roy , the first 1/2" to 3/4" of a wart hog tusk is hollow ,( the end that is in the gum) the rest is ivory. Forrest

• Sitka Gear