midwest 26-Feb-20
Pope125 26-Feb-20
Zebrakiller 26-Feb-20
GhostBird 26-Feb-20
Smtn10PT 26-Feb-20
Huntcell 26-Feb-20
Mathewsphone 27-Feb-20
25-Feb-20
This topic has discussed MANY times on Bowsite.

Having read a couple of the current/recent threads about estate planning, having room for "another" trophy, etc, not to mention the cost....I wanted to share a couple ideas that I have used, in the event that any of them may help other Bowsiters in the future.

First, I have observed a significant number of people tend to lean toward shoulder mounts (if a European mount is not being considered). If wall space is limited, pedestal mounts are a great way to possibly utilize some of the floor space of a room, eliminating the need to use wall space. The fact that they are "portable", also gives you some flexibility in the future, if you need to move things around to make more room.

Second, rather than leave the decision to a bereaved family member, I decided to be more pro-active. Over the years, I have always kept an ear open. Many times, in casual conversation, someone was interested in a particular mount. As a result, some will be gifted, hopefully (if things don't change), most are sold. Virtually all of them are now spoken for, once I am wormfood. The important thing is to make those plans NOW, instead of waiting for your executor to have to deal with it.

Third, my gameroom is about 24' X 30', and it is FULL. There really isn't room for any more animal mounts...… and there is only one way into the room. Ingress to the room, is up a rather narrow set of steps, and because of walls, corners, and the stairwell, it is difficult to get larger animals into (or out of) the room. As a result, I have resorted to "pinning" the racks of any antlered animals. This gives me the ability to even get huge antlered mounts into the room. Remember, if you enjoy having your animals scored, you'll need to have that done before the antlers are pinned. The OTHER advantage of pinning an antlered animal is this....let's say that you kill a really nice Mule Deer. You bite the bullet and have the animal mounted, because it is the biggest mulie that you have ever killed.....then, a couple years later, you kill one even bigger. Even if you have the wallspace, you may not want to incur the expense of another mount. Again, if it suits you....have the animal scored......THEN, have the antlers pinned. You can sell the mulie cape and that will probably cover the cost of having the antlers pinned. Then you can remove the antlers from the previous mount, and put in the even larger ones. I have done this a couple times now.....and you can't even tell the difference. I have framed photos of every animal next to each mount....in cases where there are two photos, you can guess what both photos represent.

I get it, this approach isn't for everyone. I just wanted to share a couple things that I have done over the years to keep my taxidermy expenses at manageable levels. Don't forget, you could pin the antlers on pedestal mounts as well.

I am just trying to share some ideas, nothing more.....

25-Feb-20
Good suggestions Jake! I appreciate them and I am sure many others will as well.

25-Feb-20
I think this thread requires a few pictures of 24'x30' room full of animals. :) I'd love to see it!!

25-Feb-20
Great thoughts Jake.

I gave some of my trophies to a museum this year. Provided assistance with income taxes and helped to eliminate future disposal issues.

25-Feb-20
Well, Jake I don’t have such problems as I can fit most of mine in a cigar box, but I think that’s a neat idea, especially the planning ahead part. I think sometimes a spouse might have some conscience pangs about giving her husband’s mounts away knowing what they meant to him, and your plan would alleviate that.

25-Feb-20
Interesting topic, as I am revising my will and we just had this conversation about an hour ago. In 20 years the world will be so flooded with mounts that the only value will be sentimental to close family members, or for dog chews.

26-Feb-20
Lou, For several years, you used to post a "semi live" journal of your Fall Mule Deer bowhunts. If you had a favorite one, I'd ask that you share a link to it.....think of it as a bequeathment to Bowsite…..(Not knowing if bequeathment is even a word)…..put it in the thread entitled "Favorite Bowsite Threads", so we can easily recall it in the future.

26-Feb-20
"I think sometimes a spouse might have some conscience pangs about giving her husband’s mounts away knowing what they meant to him, and your plan would alleviate that".

my wife would care about as much about that as I would giving her shoe collection away.

26-Feb-20
Great ideas, Jake.

Another 'trophy room photos' request here! Emphasis on the pinned animals.

26-Feb-20
Over 46 years of bowhunting , I accumulated a pretty large trophy room. Within the last year I decided to downsize from a 4,500sq house to a 1,800 with no basement . I thought long and hard what to do with all the trophies over 80 mounts , and some great taxidermy work. Long story short I keep the whitetails , and sold off the rest . If I had to do it over I would of not mounted anything . I look at it know , at it was a big waste of money .

26-Feb-20
I love my trophy room nothing better than sitting in there going over memories of past hunts and thinking of future outings, But Im bursting at the seems, with mounts , Im mounting less and less, and cost of mounts have gone out of control, when you pay as much for a mount as the hunt its self I have an issue. Im sure I will have a few more in my future I dont think I have had a zero balance at my Taxidermist since High school.

26-Feb-20
Thanks for the ideas Jake. Pinning the antlers is a great idea.

26-Feb-20
Medicinemann, that's my plan with my moose mount. Taxidermist suggested it and I had never considered it as a possibility until he did. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade it many times.

26-Feb-20
Zebrakiller the amount of mounts you have you could Post an in-depth detailed lengthy photo essay of your mounts and trophy room.

Hint hint.

27-Feb-20
Jake how's the coffee

• Sitka Gear