Chief 419 02-Mar-20
Pop-r 02-Mar-20
huntinelk 03-Mar-20
Jaquomo 03-Mar-20
altitude sick 03-Mar-20
Beendare 09-Nov-22
Dragosabonel 28-Sep-23
27-Feb-20
Dovetailing off the Inreach thread. For those of you who do value survival when the spit hits the fan, do you buy Medivac insurance for domestic evacuation? For international trips, do you buy a cheap, short-term policy to cover treatment there and transport home?

One of my best friends had a bad accident on a trip in Africa and got stuck with a pretty huge bill.

Know that your insurance may not cover treatment in other countries, so you could be on the hook.

I live in the mountains and engage in "risky" activities, and the going rate for helicopter evac is about $32,000. Many health insurance policies don't cover it. Medivac insurance costs $65 a year and most people who live around here have it, because First Responders will call in the chopper when there is any question. My late wife had a dizzy spell and they called in the 'copter even though she told them she was fine before the air ambulance arrived.

Do you guys think about this? (At least those who don't want to die where they lie).

28-Feb-20
My wife got hurt in a wilderness and had to be flown out by medevac helicopter. The bill showed she was flown 134 miles to the hospital and the charge for the med flight was $64,000. My health insurance paid all but $1000 .

28-Feb-20
It’s very important to know what your primary provider covers.

Then an affordable secondary policy can offset the balance of the transport.

In Alaska a very affordable one I have used is Lifemed

It may appear it’s only for residents but they cover anyone.

Out of country I have used Global Rescue and now prefer Ripcord. They aren’t cheap but the peace of mind is worth it.

28-Feb-20
I have MASA. It's basically supplemental insurance and pays 100% of evac that your insurance doesn't pay. It has a lot of other benefits. I also have the insurances, search and rescue etc. offered by the Inreach plan. Several years ago I had a very bad accident in a remote area. My insurance covered the ambulances but very little of the helicopter ride to a trauma center. That's not happening again.

I looked at Ripcord. Great program, and they will come and get your a--, wherever you are. But, you have to use their services, and it has to be more than 50 miles from your home. I was looking for insurance that would cover air ambulance type services no matter what happened, car accident etc. A little over $300 per year for my wife and I. Very affordable.

28-Feb-20
Yes ripcord and Global Rescue require your first call is to them.

And they have to direct the rescue. If someone else calls a local team for you these companies will not pay.

It’s kind of a pain that everywhere you go, you have to instruct everyone around to Only call your company not a local evac team.

28-Feb-20
I have one can’t remember the name of it, but I feel like mine might only be good for northern Colorado medevac I’m not 100% sure on that.

28-Feb-20
Has anyone had any experience using any of these companies while on a trip to the Arctic?

28-Feb-20
The most remote I’ve used it was Nepal

I called for a gastrointestinal bug. And called for some advise. The army special forces medic I talked to gave me some great advice.

A more serious and relevant use of Global Rescue was a guy on our climbing team died at approx 23,000 ft and his wife wanted his body back.

We got his body back down To around 21,000 and she sent a chopper from Kathmandu to send his body back to California.

28-Feb-20
Several years ago we started buying travel insurance for all trips. Mid 60s now and you just never know.

28-Feb-20
With my accident I had to be recovered from the woods and transported to a helicopter. Later, my wife got a flight to get to the hospital (500 miles away). I was in the hospital 9 days. I had to have an ambulance ride back home to an in patient rehab hospital. I had to get my vehicle home. In addition to paying the remainder of the helicopter bill, the remaining coverages would have paid many of these other related expenses. With the emergency air evac from the accident scene, you do not need to call them first or use their services. And, it is global coverage. Here is the wesite: https://www.masaglobal.com/

In essence I lost both my "S" and my cape on this one.

28-Feb-20
Fubar, if you have AirMed/Reach, which is what most of us have in N. CO, they have coverage all over most of the western states.

EMB, thanks for sharing that unfortunate lesson. Hopefully some can learn from it. Glad you got out ok.

Jay, good point about making sure the right one is called. I carry a Reach card along with my ID and emergency contact info everywhere I go. Have it in my hunting pack, scouting pack, etc. in case I'm incapacitated in some way.

28-Feb-20
I'm an annual subscriber to Global Rescue. When I get to a hunt, I give the outfitter and guide a copy of my Global Rescue card and tell them if I need medical attention, call the number on the card. Simple and safe. Luckily, I've never had to use it. Trying Ripcord for the first time this year just to try something new.

28-Feb-20
Regarding part of the original post "For international trips, do you buy....." - I frequently travel to China on business (7 times in 2019) & if I purchase my ticket with my Am Exp Propel card, overseas medical coverage is provided. Medicare will not cover you overseas but being retired military, I also have Tricare (does cover overseas medical issues). Although there is a $175.00 annual fee, Propel provides multiple reimbursements (baggage fees, etc) that help justify the annual fee - the Propel card may be an option for some of you.

28-Feb-20
I carry health insurance for Canada. Covers medieval, but I am on the border and spend the summer in Nfld. $300 covers my wife and myself. My wife used it twice over the years. Stateside, my Medicare supplemental covers medivac. I am insured to death. I am worth more dead than alive, way more.

28-Feb-20
There is no way I typed medieval.

28-Feb-20
Lawdy, I was picturing amputation without anaesthesia!

28-Feb-20
Look into what's available through the InReach service plan. Thru a couple options I felt pretty secure I would get evac and medical attention and a flight back home. Coverage around the world. GEOS SAR and GEOS Medivac Kip

28-Feb-20
I get Global Rescue on all of my international trips. As Kota mentioned, I give a copy of my coverage to the outfitter when getting to camp. I also carry a copy & InReach with me at all times while in the field. Haven't signed up for coverage when hunting stateside, but probably should rethink that.

28-Feb-20
If you use the sos button on the Inreach to summon help, have you already nullified the coverage that Global Rescue would provide, by not contacting them first?

28-Feb-20
I have used Global rescue and I "think" I have been satisfied. Never had to use it so I really cannot be sure of how satisfied I really could or could not be. I have them programmed into the Sat. phone.

28-Feb-20

Herbhunter's Link
Ripcord for me, family plan covers 4 people, range is 100+ miles, get 2 evacuations per year to medical facility of your choice. Have to call them first.

28-Feb-20
huntinelk - If you hit the SOS button on the InReach, the rescue costs are on you or some other plan that you might have. Global Rescue requires that you contact them directly to begin the rescue effort and cover the costs. It's easy to save the Global Rescue contact number in your InReach. Contacting Global Rescue is not much different than hitting the SOS button. When your initial text message is sent, your GPS coordinates are included.

28-Feb-20
In CO, if you have a hunting or fishing license, SAR costs are covered. Then the first responders can decide if you need an air ambulance, which isn't covered under the SAR license surcharge.

28-Feb-20
Pressing SOS on an InReach triggers communication with GEOS. Plans that include Medivac are available starting at &200/ year through GEOS.

01-Mar-20
Knew a young man last summer on a cruise. Had appendicitis. Flew him off the boat to a Mexican hospital that had blood and such all over everything in the emergency room. Transported him to another hospital and his family had to wire $35k to Mexico before they'd operate. Took my desire to ever cruise away. Who has $35k laying around at the house to send to Mexico tonight?! Not many...

01-Mar-20
Pop-r, yep. Thats why buying a short term 30 day travel/rescue/transport insurance plan can be a bargain.

01-Mar-20
Chief 419 wrote: "Pressing SOS on an InReach triggers communication with GEOS. Plans that include Medivac are available starting at &200/ year through GEOS. "

I was looking into the GEOS plans on their website tonight but my understanding of their $200 annual Medevac plan is that it is a repatriation plan. It is designed to organize getting you from a foreign country hospital (after you are stabilized enough to transport) back home to a US hospital. It did not seem to be coverage for emergency transport and medical care from a remote area (the wilderness) to a nearby hospital for initial care. And it didn't seem to cover actual transportation or medical costs from that hospital to a hospital back home; it seemed only to provide coordination.

Maybe I misunderstood it's coverage?

02-Mar-20
Aspen - Your understanding of the Medivac plan is correct. There are also 4 or 5 plans that cover SAR reimbursement expenses. Those plans start at approx. $25.

02-Mar-20
Having to call them first would totally take them off the list for me! That's a joke!

03-Mar-20

huntinelk's Link
Alot of information in this link, doesn't seem like any of the companies are perfect. Anybody in the insurance, legal or medical fields able to add anything to this article?

03-Mar-20
"The key to maximizing a Global Rescue membership, particularly in remote environments where accidents happen, is being able to establish two-way communications with their dispatch office. That means you will most likely need a satellite phone, inReach two-way messenger, or other device."

A few of the guys on the other thread might find this requirement funny. I guess GR, MedJet, SAR are just supposed to "know" you broke your leg and respond to your rescue.

03-Mar-20
From what I understand, can’t you set up the inreach SOS to notify who you want notified?

09-Nov-22
Good thread JAQ, I am in for information

28-Sep-23
Given that the thread is a few years old, it's safe to say that the topic of Medivac insurance is still under-discussed but as relevant as ever, especially for those involved in riskier activities or travel.Honestly, if you're living in an area where the risks are higher, or you're often traveling internationally, Medivac insurance sounds like a no-brainer. A $65 yearly rate to avoid a $32,000 evac bill? Sign me up. Your friend's situation in Africa just underlines how crucial this can be. In terms of what's covered, I recently came across some information on www.coveringcfl.net about open enrollment for health insurance. They have some solid points about what to look for in a policy, which can be relevant for Medivac coverage as well.

• Sitka Gear