APauls 02-Mar-20
elkmtngear 02-Mar-20
grape 02-Mar-20
APauls 02-Mar-20
Ermine 02-Mar-20
Big D 02-Mar-20
BULELK1 03-Mar-20
02-Mar-20
Anyone make bear bacon ever? I've made a couple rounds of bacon myself now thanks to a thread on here and it's been fantastic. I've had caribou bacon before and it was fantastic and hear moose bacon is also good. I was thinking because of the greasiness of bear or it's likeness to pork in some ways bear belly might make some wicked bacon. Anyone ever done it?

I'm also cursing myself for not keeping the moose bellies from my last 2 moose...grrrrr.

02-Mar-20
sounds great! Gotta try it this fall

02-Mar-20

elkmtngear's Link
Steve Rinella has a recipe (see link)

02-Mar-20
Bear ham is awesome. Not sure why I never tried to make bacon..........

02-Mar-20
Jeff, when I was googling it I found that meateater recipe but that is from the "saddle" ie: lower back backstrap. Similar to what they call "Canadian bacon" from pigs I believe. I was wondering if anyone had used the belly. Like REAL bacon lol.

02-Mar-20
"I was wondering if anyone had used the belly. Like REAL bacon lol".

I would guess the belly fat, should work just as well as the back fat... are you going to try it, Adam?

02-Mar-20
Adam .....make it the same way you make walleye bacon from those monsters you catch!!

02-Mar-20
Oh I'm definitely gonna try it. Might have to go dig one out of a den cause I don't wanna wait. KIDDING of course.

Ah Greg, I went for walleye on Saturday. Only managed 20 myself before noon...tough times with an average size of about 20 beefy inches. Man those fish are healthy.

02-Mar-20
I know a guy who is a meat processor. He would make bear bacon and said it was amazing. He loved it

02-Mar-20
Yes I have made it before from bear belly !! It had very good flavor but was tougher than regular pork bacon !! But we used it on pizza and in beans etc. But to just eat it for breakfast with eggs it was just a little chewy

03-Mar-20
Let us know how it turns out Adam----->

Thanks,

Robb

• Sitka Gear