APauls 05-Mar-20
JTreeman 05-Mar-20
Grey Ghost 06-Mar-20
TD 06-Mar-20
Jim Moore 10-Mar-20
carcus 10-Mar-20
Bou'bound 10-Mar-20
04-Mar-20
I have an iPhone 8 and need a new phone case. Since everyone is using their phone for OnX or other mapping / communication, what kind of phone cases are you using? Good ones? Pros & Cons?

04-Mar-20
I've used LifeProof, but they have only lasted one year of life. I do like them for their size and functionality. Am interested on other suggestions as well.

04-Mar-20
I’ve had good luck with an Otterbox

04-Mar-20
I have an iPhone 8 and have a Otterbox. It’s a heavy duty case. I’ve dropped my phone many times on hard surfaces and from treestands and it protected the phone. Last year I ran it over with my roto-tiller and the case was fine but the phone did get bent and had to by replaced. I would also say it’s not waterproof as I dropped my phone in the water recently and found that out too.

04-Mar-20
Otter box X3

04-Mar-20
I have had good results with otterbox but they are a bit bulky. My kids love their Lifecases but they do seem to need to be replaced more often. I am now using a Speck on an iPhone Xr. Pretty happy with it. Get a really good screen film, the plastic one holds up better than the glass. Zag is a really good brand.

Go to a TJMaxx and you’ll find cases for iPhones at 70-90% off. They sell very cheap Tempered Glass screen covers there as well. They crack pretty easily but they are designed to be sacrificial.

04-Mar-20
I like a thin cheap case and then but tempered glass protectors for the front. Phone hardly gets any thicker and still stays as usable as naked. 8’s and afternoon are waterproof on their own anyways. YouTube drop tests show that basically any case is sufficient for accidental drops. Dropped it the other day and smashed the tempered glass. Oh well, $3 loss and put another one on.

04-Mar-20
Otter Box Defender series it adds a bit of bulk to the phone . gives very good protection. Provides good grip. Had Otter box from day one . A phone without Otter box seems naked, thin and slippery, certainly unprotected. Get protection, get Otter Box.

04-Mar-20
I’m the exact same at APauls. I like a thin case and glass screen protector. I’ve had several Otter Boxes and Lifeproofs through the years and never really like any of them too well. I feel I get very similar “protection” without the bulk and expense. And honestly I don’t expect any phone case to last over a year with my lifestyle.

—Jim

04-Mar-20
Otterbox fan here as well. I upgraded to an IPhone 11 recently. Can’t remember if my previous phone was an 8 or not. If so, I’m pretty sure that I still have the Otterbox case for it. If you’re interested, I’d be happy to ship it to you, Brad.

04-Mar-20
Lifeproof cover was definitely a winner for me after I dropped my phone in knee deep mud while hunting ducks this past January, it stayed under water for probably 20 minutes until I realized it was not in my wader pocket then after remembering where I was when nature called (#1) I was able to find it and it was completely fine. I’m on my third year with the cover.

04-Mar-20
Otterbox. Heavy duty and very easy to grip.

04-Mar-20
No cover or box, Motorola with Gorilla glass, it's water proof and shock proof and takes a beating. Shawn

04-Mar-20
I have a lifeproof box on my I-6. I've dropped it a few times and phone is fine. The only problem is the rubber that covers the ringer on off switch tore, so box is no longer waterproof. I'll get something else next time. It was expensive, I'll try something else next time. I got at the time what I thought was the best case because I had lost my previous phone down the hole while ice fishing.

04-Mar-20
My wife has recently taught me that they don’t make a case she can’t destroy her iPhone in 4 phones in the last 2 months......

04-Mar-20
Otter box and a zip lock bag.

04-Mar-20

Busta'Ribs's Link
Here’s what you want. Rokform. Awesome case.

04-Mar-20
Otterbox x100...I have dropped my phone out of my treestand more times than I can count and never a scratch.

04-Mar-20
The lifeproof is great but some of the buttons fail quickly. I have had 2 of them for and S8+ and the volume buttons have crapped out both times. The beauty of this case over most of the others I have looked at is that it truly is waterproof. I dropped mine in the commode one time and it was bone dry with no issues. LOL

04-Mar-20
Just saying, get orange, not camo. Don’t ask how I know.

04-Mar-20
Check out the Pelican case. Very durable and thin. I can’t stand having a George Costanza size wallet for a phone case.

04-Mar-20
Cheap plastic case and screen film. Drop it enough and the screen cracks but the phone is still perfectly functional. I have a life case with the extra charge built in but, man they’re bulky.

I’m pretty sure they make phones as slippery as possible so you will buy a case a or new phone often. Should probably just put hockey tape on it soon as you get home.

04-Mar-20
Less screen time more hunting? I have a $20 case with a screen protector. It’s hard to destroy my phone when it rarely leaves my pocket while hunting.

04-Mar-20
Deertick X10! Never could understand why guys want stuff like that in camo. Knives, etc.

04-Mar-20
Whatever my office gives me. Says Spigen on it. It’s pretty nice.

04-Mar-20
Blackweb here for an Iphone XR. It's the only thicker case that allows people to hear you.

04-Mar-20
APauls and Treeman X2. Just get an inexpensive silicon case with a glass screen protector. Can get the combo for less than $20 on Amazon including 3 screen protectors. Wouldn't waste money on the high end cases. The screen protector will save your butt if you drop it on concrete.

05-Mar-20
iPhone 6 & 8. Lifeproof case for both. They are great when working properly. I have had issues with whom ever I call hearing me but for a few dollars for shipping they will send you a new one. I have had about 5 in the last two years. My phone is is excellent condition when I take it out of the case.

05-Mar-20
Otter Box with screen protector for years. No problems.

05-Mar-20
Some guys are actually making phone calls on their phone? Weird.

Those Rokform cases look badass and I like all the accessories. The one for my Samsung is only $40 and 15% off your first order.

05-Mar-20
"Some guys are actually making phone calls on their phone? Weird."

I was thinking the same. Probably even didnt talk about anything important! haha!

Thanks to all that replied - I'll check some of them out

05-Mar-20

Grey Ghost's Link
I need a waterproof case for my phone, because I spend a lot of time on boats. I've used the Lifeproof case, but it messed with the microphone, and the buttons were stiff and broke easily. When I upgraded to a iPhone 11, I did a fair amount of research on waterproof cases. Based on favorable reviews, I bought the one in my link, not expecting much for $18. To my surprise this case is BETTER than the Lifeproof. There are no microphone issues, and all the buttons are easy to push. The best part is, I can buy 4 of them for the same price as a Lifeproof.

Matt

05-Mar-20
Loopy. It’s nothing fancy but it’s lasted 3 years now and looks new. The silicone loop does keep me from dropping it. Tempered glass to keep my screen from getting cracked when I do drop it.

05-Mar-20
Grey Ghost if you have an iPhone 11 it's already water resistant to 2 meters for 30 minutes why do you need a waterproof case?

05-Mar-20
I have an IPhone 11. Similar to APauls. I have a phone protector/sleeve with a screen protector. Did the same on previous IPhone 7. Replace the screen protector once in a while. That is it.

05-Mar-20
Another vote for the Otterbox Defender. However, do not get the camo case. When it slides down the inside of your bibs, it will end up on the ground, camo side up. Then when it gets dark and starts to sleet and freezing rain, it becomes impossible to find. On a brighter note, the "Find my Iphone" app works. Even if the phone is on silent.

05-Mar-20
APauls,

Water resistant and waterproof are different things. I like to take under water pics, so a waterproof case gives me peace of mind.

Matt

05-Mar-20
I know Matt, but the only reason they call it water resistant is for liability purposes. No case manufacturer will warranty the phone if their case craps either. But if you are regularly using it underwater I guess I can see the extra protection.

05-Mar-20
I’m not really thinking for underwater protection that I’m gonna trust my $1k phone to a $18 case ;)

Was in Florida last week and my buddy decided to go for an unplanned swim. He had an iPhone 11. Regular snap on bumper case, nothing fancy. It went about 1m deep and didn’t miss a beat.

—Jim

06-Mar-20
"I’m not really thinking for underwater protection that I’m gonna trust my $1k phone to a $18 case ;)"

That's fine. Go ahead and spend 4 times as much on a inferior LifeProof case, if it makes you feel better. I was skeptical of an $18 case, too, until I actually got the case in my hands. Then I realized what a ripoff the LifeProof cases are.

Matt

06-Mar-20
Now it's an argument about phone cases...... yeah, and the CF was full of K.O.O.K.s (Keepers Of Odd Knowledge)

I much prefer a fixed blade phone case over one of those untested mech cases.... but honestly any case in a storm.... having used otter boxes and lifeproof I much prefer lifeproof as it's smaller and slides in and out my cargo pockets where it lives much easier, not as "sticky". Otter boxes are not waterproof but tough as heck. Mics need cleaning from time to time on the lifeproof and the buttons are a bit flimsy, but I've hacked them and work much better.

Always willing to try a new head, er, case though. Just as soon as I need a new one.... which is probably in a few years as I run em until they quit telling time....

Coach is one of the ihomies too and refuses to use a case. Like wearing the phone makes her purse look fat..... She's been averaging a broken phone a year, sometimes two, I think the bartender at Verizon is gonna cut her off soon. Maybe it's just her way of getting a new one. Every time she breaks one I tell her "get a case" Nope. Sometimes seems the easiest way to get her to do something is suggest the opposite. Nope again. Theory has been tested and doesn't work for hunting at all.....

10-Mar-20

Jim Moore's Link
I bought one like this for my android phone in 2017. My work requires me to do occasional tower work and it's been dropped a couple of times from 40' or so into the gravel and rocks. Dropped too many times from pockets and hands to count. Seems pretty beefy and at 18.00 I would get another.

See the link.

10-Mar-20
I've used a otterbox defender for years now, my phone survived a 12 foot drop landing on a concrete pile! For a screen protector I love the spigen neoflex so easy to put on and a way better feel than tempered glass.

10-Mar-20
Mophie battery pack case

• Sitka Gear