HUNT MAN 10-Mar-20
cubdrvr 10-Mar-20
Fuzzy 11-Mar-20
Beav 16-Mar-20
cubdrvr 18-Mar-20
cubdrvr 18-Mar-20
Treeline 18-Mar-20
10-Mar-20
Last corned venison I did in my Dutch oven was really dry. Going to try to do this one Sous vide. Have a 2 lb roast about 2 inches thick. Will be curing for 5 days with Morton’s tender quick and the usual spices/brown sugar. Have researched and found two methods; 135 degrees for 48 hrs., and 180 degrees for 10 hrs..

Anyone able to suggest which might work best?

10-Mar-20
135 for 48 is pretty common in the recipes I've seen.

Willie, bacteria can be killed at lower temps with longer cook time at that temp. Research Sous Vide.

10-Mar-20
No suggestions here except I use crock pot and it comes out good, but can be dry if its cooking for too long. Be interested to know how it comes out for you with this method, especially with no fat compared to a corned beef.

10-Mar-20
135 doesn't kill some bacteria outright but it prevents growth and over extended periods you get die off ....any lower though and you can get spore formation from some of the Clostridium species (like C. perfringens) so you need to be able to reliably reach and hold 135 or above. The Tender Quick does also inhibit bacterial growth. (sodium nitrate and nitrite)

10-Mar-20
Yes the drying issue is what I’m trying to overcome. Last one I did in pressure cooker was good flavour but it was so dry I ended up grinding it and mixing with mayo and pickles for a sandwich spread. And since wife wouldn’t help eat it, kinda got tired of it.

I’ll try the 48 hr. and report back. Thanks for the responses.

10-Mar-20
Sous Vide is cooking in a vacuum sealed bag, little to no oxygen makes for little to no life.

bacteria are everywhere or try to be, low oxygen and higher temperature keep them at bay.

10-Mar-20
I follow the recipe/cooking method in Hank Shaw's cookbook and it always comes out really well which makes me curious about the sous vide method. He recommends putting it in a pot barely bigger than the roast and barely covering it with water and simmer on low for 4-5 hours or so depending on size. It says if you use too much water or a big pot, too much of the salt and whatever else will be sucked from the roast.

Since sous vide is just cooking in a bag and no salts will be pulled into the water from the meat, I'm wondering how that changes the flavor or texture. I've got two roasts in the brine right now, maybe I'll try one each way and find out

10-Mar-20
Insta pot

10-Mar-20
Hunt I think I tried the instapot and had same results; too dry. I realize most of the problem is that an elk roast isn’t a beef brisket so not much if any fat. Just going to give it a try and see if it’s an improvement.

11-Mar-20
huntcell except for Clostridium bacteria, they are obligate anaerobes

16-Mar-20
Agree with Hunt on instapot. I did some last night and it was moist and perfect. Go less time with wildgame than recommended for beef. I went 45 minutes with two roast and added two cups of water.

18-Mar-20

cubdrvr's embedded Photo
cubdrvr's embedded Photo
I settled on the Anova site recipie. Called for 48 hrs@135 degrees. That was for a beef brisket, so I pulled it at about 40 hrs. since the venison was quite a bit leaner than a beef brisket. Very moist, so I’m pretty happy with it. Wife gave it a thumbs up and she’s kinda picky about her wild game.

18-Mar-20
I’ve been building arrows on the dining room table, so I guess it’s archery related lol.

18-Mar-20
Sounds like it turned out good! Cooking and preparing wild game is always welcome on the Bowsite!

• Sitka Gear