Paul@thefort 15-Mar-20
12yards 15-Mar-20
Jaquomo 15-Mar-20
KSflatlander 15-Mar-20
Jaquomo 15-Mar-20
TD 16-Mar-20
APauls 16-Mar-20
14-Mar-20
In numerous threads posters have mentioned how our public disagreements hurt our cause, that we must remain united on all issues.

I have never agreed with this totally. Open debate happens in all facets of modern society. Letting the public see we debate, that we are concerned enough to continue moving in a direction that sustains our passion while simultaneously taking into consideration legitimate ethical and other concerns will hopefully improve our standing.

Am I missing something?

14-Mar-20
Agree, healthy debate and introspection is a good thing. Not sure that the general public care one way or the other about our internal debates though

14-Mar-20
The People who don’t don’t like us feel that way because we kill stuff for sport as opposed to sustenance, noT because we argue about the process

14-Mar-20
Grant,

The majority of the public supports hunting. Maybe we should quit calling it sport hunting?

14-Mar-20
Debating issues can be healthy. Unfortunately the internet is an easy place for a debate to quickly devolve into personal attacks.

The actual debate gets lost in the process, threads get locked, people get chased away or simply tune out and often there isn't much positive left. Debate is as good or bad as we make it.

14-Mar-20
What Glunt said

14-Mar-20
I must have miss the train on sport hunting? Sport fishing, yes. Sport hunting, no.

14-Mar-20
Agree with grunt@work. Watching a "my way is the only right way" name calling match is ugly from the outside. Once it devolves to that it's not really a debate anymore, but it is still common.

14-Mar-20
Frank,

Honest and respectful debate is always a healthy, and often productive exercise. Regrettably, some lack the necessary maturity to accept that a challenge to a point of view is not an attack on that persons intelligence, morals or standing; it is merely a contrary point of view and presented respectfully should merit full consideration and discussion.

More and more it seems that society as a whole has gotten increasingly thin-skinned and/or insecure. I agree with the comment about the internet not being the ideal format for a productive discussion on the whole but have seen individuals (on this site) who have been able to keep the focus on the topic and not on the personal.

Thanks for bringing up an important topic!

14-Mar-20
Good to hear from you Mike. As always, well stated

14-Mar-20
"Letting the public see we debate, that we are concerned enough to continue moving in a direction that sustains our passion while simultaneously taking into consideration legitimate ethical and other concerns will hopefully improve our standing."

True but that is not how it plays out. Where you see healthy debate or internal vigor, others will see cleaving lines. Case in point, when VA was debating Sunday hunting, deer dog hunters did not support the measure. This really ticked off all the folks who do not use dogs and, as dog hunting continues to defend itself, it will do so without the full support of the non-dog hunting demographic. In fact, many hunters openly advocate for dog hunting to be made illegal. In VA, that is neither wise nor necessary.

In all things, humankind is inexorably yoked to the proper use of discernment and, because that is so often rare, we should tread carefully in debate. This seems to form an illogical construct of sorts - exercise discernment to negate the lack of discernment - but really it is a call to action. If you are not bright enough or disciplined enough to debate within the context of the greater good, recognize that and be quite or, perhaps, merely echo the global objective (i.e. the stewardship of hunting) to reinforce stated context to the debaters and audience writ large. This is especially true in the age of blogging, etc.

14-Mar-20
I'd rather we debated openly. That way we can not be accused of sweeping issues under the rug. I'd rather we're seen as being aware of controversies, addressing them as best we can, trying to find intelligent and ethical solutions.

We are *never* going to be seen as ethical in *some* eyes but it's important to remember that most voters are neither for or against us. The 10% who hunt are never going to win over the 10% who are anti-hunting; it's important to maintain a good image with the 80% who may well decide our fate at the voting booth.

14-Mar-20
Mike,

Thanks. Great to hear from you!

DanaC, excellent point!

14-Mar-20
Civil debate is a healthy thing like most have said on this thread. I like a debate because defending a position and LISTENING to an opposing posting is a great learning tool. It’s a check on yourself. However, too many people today pass off opinion as fact or simply make stuff up and try to pass it off as fact. I also think generalizing is a great divide here, in hunting, and in our society. If you try to debate some will try to attach you to some generalized group that they oppose to try to gain favor with the bowsite audience. Especially if they are faced with opposing facts.

If you debate honestly, eliminate the personal attacks, keep an open mind, and allow yourself to hear the opposing view or be wrong you will likely learn something useful. At a minimum, you will at least have a better understanding of the other person’s point of view. And that’s a good thing IMO.

Frank, here’s a supplemental question that may help this discussion. When some posters go to personal attacks, why don’t moderators or others posters call it out? Why is it acceptable here and in our society? Why don’t most step in to say it’s unacceptable?

14-Mar-20
You have to becareful as well, for example this forum is not a good platform for debate. Why ? Because posts, and alternative opinions are deleted and censored. The narrative gets defined and shifted.

14-Mar-20
You're all a bunch of thin-skinned sissies. Grow a pair, and get back to me.

;-)

Matt

14-Mar-20
Touché lol. Well done GG.

14-Mar-20
So speaking about debate and how that stage is changing, Just read an interesting report ie, Americans' beliefs about wildlife management are changing". And I also expect, beliefs about hunting are also changing. I found this article as I was researching the "wolf issue" we are facing here in Colorado and trying to understand the voting public when it comes the time for reintroduction of the wolf or not. This article sheds some light on that decision making process. Debate is good but challenging at times especially then one is not at risk or has provided nothing for the management of any wildlife species.

I quote. "Abundant and healthy wildlife populations are a cultural and ecological treasure in the US. Over time, however, the decisions about how agencies manage wildlife have become highly contested: How should managers handle human-wildlife conflicts, endangered species, and predator control.

A new 50 state study, OSU (Ohio) and CSU, Colorado) describes individuals values toward wildlife across states.

Researchers found large declines over time in several states for the group of people defined at TRADITIONALISTS, or those who believe animals should be used for purposes that benefit humans, like hunting and medical research.

Mutualists, on the other hand believe that animals deserve the same rights as humans. They view animals as companions and part of their social networks and project human traits into animals.

Not surprising is that the decline of traditionalists in some states is happening at a really rapid phase. And,"people aren't likely to interact with wildlife in their day to day lives, Instead they learn about these animals in indirect ways by seeing them on TV or social media, where animals may be depicted as more human like. This helps shape a new way of thinking about wildlife and wildlife related issues."

WE here are facing the "debate" over wolf reintroduction. No doubt an uphill challenge as the face of society changes and is changing fast.

my best, Paul

14-Mar-20
Paul,

I have long suspected the 10 percent each of hunters/anti-hunters and the other mostly neutral 80 percent taught in HE classes in the past was no longer accurate.

14-Mar-20
Big difference between debate and arguing about petty things...

14-Mar-20
When there are things that are clearly damaging our effort, we are compelled to talk about them, criticized them and at some point try to abolish them.

Case in point, high fence hunting. Over 85% of the non hunting public approves of hunting for food and wildlife management. Only about 25% approve of hunting behind a high fence. Do we sweep it under the rug and pretend it's not an issue or do we do something about it. The high fence guys will scream "stop being divisive"!

Then you get into baiting, hounds, etc. There are compelling, biological and management reasons to allow using bait and hounds. Some species can't be managed without using those forms of hunting. With other species, it creates an unfair advantage and there is no reason to hunt that way.

There is no real compelling reason to support high fence hunting in the U.S. In other countries, yes. I the United States, no.

We have to police ourselves and we can't do that without debating right and wrong, acceptable and unacceptable.

14-Mar-20
I'd agree H4W. A healthy debate makes sense. I think Trial noted this is not a great platform for various reasons. Ill add to his good point, social media (like this) stinks for debate because we lose all visual and auditory cues regarding the posters intent. So things which normally would help us contextualize the statements being made, we miss, and our bias (we all have one) fills in the blanks defensively, which makes effective communication really hard.

I suspect thats why some really hot button issues easily devolve into online richard measuring contests or insult contests, while general topics (say: help me pic a spot from this photo, or story's about a hunt, etc) rarely have issues.

It does seem, that any time today a hunter notes they are not in favor of something, instantly there is a crash of "stick up for anything hunting or you are the problem" mentality posts. Frankly, that mentality seems to hurt more than the dissenting opinion. Which could be my bias given I'm often the dissent ha ha ha!

It's ok to have differences of opinion on how to do things. Openly listen, be curious, and move on. Suggesting everyone has to be of the same mind or they are the problem, will gradually erode the silo of hunters... it will get smaller and smaller and eventually, be gone.

So, yes, H4W... I think a healthy debate is good for hunters... It's if the hunters can't keep it healthy and resort to really aggresive/poor communication that the debate likely is no longer good for all and should just end. Especially in a social platform like this, given for many reasons we simply can not communicate with the nuance of a face to face discussion in this context.

14-Mar-20
Difference from debate about what YOU want to do and think others shouldn't...... and actively trying to legally take away someones hunting methods or even style. Of course YOU must be right and everyone else wrong. i.e. adultery is wrong in my eyes and should be socially frowned upon. But to make it illegal? Maybe we go back to stoning folks to death in the streets like in, um, some societies.... and yet for others it's a sporting event or hobby....

This "nuance" of "debate" is lost on some. Too many people trying to demand how others live as there is right now. Right down to what you can say and what you can do... and how you should do it.

If it's behavior or "ethics" those things can be about peer or social pressure and not more laws, taking rights away from free people.

14-Mar-20
TD,

Good points. Sometimes in discussions a person passionately arguing their view point receives baseless accusations that they are trying to force their views on others via legislation, even though they have clearly spoken against taking such actions. And sometimes this is done intentionally because the person defending a position/view being critiqued has exhausted all sensible defenses. Again, the challenging nuances of blog debating?

14-Mar-20
I can't comprehend hunting for sport. I hate when the term is used. For me hunting is to feed myself. It's a way of life.......

14-Mar-20
I absolutely am a meat hunter but I will take a 410 to a dove field for some added challenge & that becomes sporting. Or I absolutely don't kill every deer that gives me the opportunity so now you just became a sport hunter because ya had the opportunity to kill & didn't. Or offshore fishing releasing a marlin that is legal to kill & dispite what many believe marlin especially blue ones are good food but if ya release one your sport fishing.

14-Mar-20
Good point trophy hill. If it is essential for you to kill to eat and survive it is absolutely not sport hunting. That is subsistence hunting which is very different.

14-Mar-20
We hunt because we want to, not because we have to in order to obtain meat. That makes all of us sport hunters no matter how you look at it.

Nothing prevents any of us from going to the grocery store.

14-Mar-20
And a lot of us don't live where 'subsistence hunting' is practical. Modest game populations, limited hunting time, limited access, etc. make it a 'pastime' (if 'sport' bothers you.)

Most of the freezer-fillers I know are in trades where they get laid off right around the start of hunting season, and they drive deer all day for the entire gun season. I honestly could not keep up with these guys!

Circumstances partly dictate our outlook on hunting. I think it helps if you've hunted in different places and seen how it's done elsewhere. I've been in places where sticking a gun out the truck door and blasting away are 'acceptable', at least in some , ahh, 'social circles.' Not my cup of chowder but it works for them.

14-Mar-20
There might be a sport aspect in hunting today. I truly don't know. That might sound dumb to some here but, I most definitely plan my yearly food requirements off of what I kill, catch, gather, and grow. I could survive without it. But, I don't want to or ever plan on doing so.

That isn't debatable as far as I am concerned. Honestly, many of the things we debate isn't debatable if we were standing where the other guy was that has an opposing point. However, many issues still are. So, I think it is good to hear what others who differ are thinking concerning our hunting heritage and future. But, there position has to have a basis besides what is convenient, self serving, or influenced by personal bias, in order to be considered as a relative position. that is where many fall short. It's the "me" part of their position that often makes it irrelevant.

15-Mar-20
Debate is good all around . I have changed my opinion numerous times reading stuff here.

15-Mar-20
How about who cares if someon hunts for food or sport? I don't. Does a person feel they have to justify it in some way? Who is it you think you have to justify what you do and how? And why should it matter? Love to eat game. But I'm under no obligation to justify for subsistence. I don't eat coyotes but will hunt them. Rats and prairie dogs I don't eat either. If conditions permit, I'll let a smaller buck walk hoping for a bigger one. That's not just sport.... that's pure trophy hunting. And there's not a damn thing wrong with it. I don't need to justify my wants or desires to anyone just because they see it differently and think I should. Any more than I should alter my life to live it as they feel I should by driving a different car.... or driving at all. Much less how big a coke I can drink.....

Hunting is as literally natural and as personally interactive and involved in nature on a personal level as there is. As primal as food. As hard wired as procreation. That's all that is necessary.

15-Mar-20
Hunting is not elective per se. It's more of a recognized biological and ecological mandate, imo. Some get and it some do not. Obviously, the concept of "sport hunting" does exist but the generalized activity, itself, is hardly as non-essential or superfluous as is commonly posited.

It is a fool who suggests we can turn biology and ecology on its ear and hope to thrive.

15-Mar-20
The biggest problem I've ever seen in debates is that some people think they are the one who set the "ethical/moral barometer" when it comes to hunting, and like most, I have been guilty in the past of doing this. The only subjects I get judgmental on is trespassing, and intentional poaching.

15-Mar-20
My family has always eaten more fish & game than any iv ever known it actually was my chores when I was young to go to the pond & catch bluegills for supper or go to the tobacco barns & shoot pidgens for supper & as an adult I have never changed hunting & fishing consumes me it's all I think about & I absolutely hunt & fish for food .But but but. Times have changed. The $$$ I spend on hunting & fishing is ridicules. It's kind of a stretch to say I fish for food when I have offshore rod & reels that cost $1000.00 each and a benchrest rifle that I have 3000.00 into. That's a long way from a cane pole & a Grossman pellet gun. But my intent when I go hunting & fishing is to bring home food.

15-Mar-20
But my intent when I go hunting & fishing is to bring home food.

Mine also!

15-Mar-20
Paul,

I guess I am incorrect, again. The Conservation Chair's column in the winter 2019 P&Y Ethic cites a recent survey where public support for hunting is at an all time high of 80 percent, and disapproval falling to just 13 percent.

Approval rates were highest for conservation, the food, locally sourced meat, protecting humans and lowest for sport and trophy hunting. May be some good news on the wolf front.

Great publication btw, glad I joined!

15-Mar-20
Some great points above regarding justification; it's easy to be drawn down the rabbit hole of feeling (or being made to feel) that hunting needs to be justified. The risk associated with taking that path, however good the intention is that it begins the process of fractionalizing the hunting community; it can be used (and very likely will be used) to drive a wedge between us (if "A" justifies hunting in "X" context then why doesn't "B" have the same justification for "X"?)

To begin with each of us are unique in many aspects; why we hunt, what we do with the game we take can vary, sometimes significantly. What matters is not the basis of the difference but the commonality in that our actions are both legal and ethical. Those are the only relevant aspects and given their use preclude any need to justify to the non-hunter.

15-Mar-20
I think the answer to the question it the always aggravating 'it depends'.

Before entering into a debate, I try to ask myself, what is the goal here? Can I 'win' and what does 'winning' in this case even look like?

There have been many debates I did not enter simply because, even though the facts were on my side, the facts didn't matter and there was simply no way to win or effect a positive outcome.

Suppose one of the debates about crossbows results in getting them kicked out of archery season & into gun season. Is that a win? Suppose that a few years after hunters can't use crossbows during archery season, the numbers of hunters in the woods drops to record low numbers. Is that a win? It would certainly make for more hunting opportunities for those of us left.

If the arguments against high fence hunting lead to it being outlawed, is that a win? How many really oppose the hunting of a problem animal, like feral hogs, behind a high fence? And I'm referring to wild hogs, trapped once and released onto a ranch for the purpose of being hunted. So, high fences are outlawed and the feral hog problem gets even worse. Is that a win?

As it pertains to hunting, if it is legal and you want to, knock yourself out! There are many aspects of hunting that I choose not to participate in, but that doesn't mean I'm against them. Heck, if I have no experience with them, how would I even know if I'm for or against?

It seems to me there is a difference between saying 'we don't have much in common as far as hunting goes - but we are still fellow hunters' and 'you hunt with a crossbow behind a high fence? Blasphemy, Exile!".

With so many concerned about being 'right' with no thought to the outcome, yes debate absolutely can hurt hunting.

I guess I'm just saying be careful what you wish for - you just may get it.

15-Mar-20
"We hunt because we want to, not because we have to in order to obtain meat. That makes all of us sport hunters no matter how you look at it. Nothing prevents any of us from going to the grocery store."

Until self-inflicted panic in the streets makes it near impossible to by a pound of hamburger in that grocery store...

15-Mar-20
Or toilet paper, hand sanitizer, tissues, etc......

I don’t know why a virus with a mortality rate so low among otherwise healthy adults, has led Americans to such panic.

15-Mar-20
The OP misses that the public doesnt generally see the debate that happens between hunters on internet forums such as this, and that such debate can drive rifts and fragment the base when it comes to providing political support for hunting.

15-Mar-20

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Mike, Kevin...

Disagree that debating fragments us and causes harm. Attached is the report referred to above. Dated 2019, this survey reflects attitudes taken well after the advent of on-line heated debates. If debating caused image problems for hunters, logically that should be reflected in a lower percentage approval, not the highest recorded to date.

Personally I am convinced that some use the fragmentation argument to silence debate on tactics they know the non-hunting public would score much lower on approval. Their continued use of those tactics is causing more harm to hunter image IMHO. That is just my view on certain tactics beaten to a dead horse here numerous times. I do NOT want laws to be changed, rather through debate and discourse hopefully views will change over time to those more aligned to societal norms believed to be positive. Others hold a different view and I accept that. Thanks.

15-Mar-20
Matt,

was in the process of responding when you posted, did not intentionally leave your name out in my response.

Still have to disagree, the debates don't cause a rift that leads to less political support. Without ever debating I would only support what I believe in regardless of what others said. The debates may allow us to gain information that will move our current position, but our political support should, in my case will, follow my beliefs. In other words, I would not support certain approaches to hunting via the voting process that I disagree with regardless of debates, especially if I think those activities may hurt public support for the approaches to hunting I do believe in. Wouldn't most think this way? I ask sincerely. Thanks.

15-Mar-20
Frank, unfortunately, the emotional side of the wolf debate, to the general non hunting voting public, does not support the 80% figure of approval as for many of those "hunting approval" reasons.

15-Mar-20
The argument always comes up that we are our own worst enemy. I can't think of an instance where our infighting has been used to the detriment of hunting.

15-Mar-20
Our arguments on online forums have zero effect on the perceptions of the general nonhunting public. None. My neighbors could care less if I hunt with a crossbow over a corn pile. Our divisions CAN hurt us when they become public and are used against us by policy-makers and/or opponents on ballot initiatives.

Two examples here in CO:

During the bear debate, a number of hunters were publicly and loudly in favor of eliminating spring hunting, baiting, and hounds. This included some "famous" hunters like David Petersen. They became poster children for the anti side.

Now we have hunters speaking out loudly and publicly in favor of forced wolf reintroduction. As before, they are being held up as shining examples.

This is where we are damaged.

15-Mar-20
“Some people don't seem to realize that while they might be successful in eliminating certain methods, tactics or weapons that they don't happen to believe in, it's only a matter of time before someone comes after theirs.“

So if a hunter is against baiting deer and advocates for it to be illegal, that means they are coming after bowhunting next? It’s just a scare tactic IMO and I don’t let arguments like that sway my opinion. All rights and privileges have limits.

15-Mar-20
Agreed Ryan, 100% scare tactics. If true, hunter approval rates would reflect it.

Lou,

Same point, hunter approval is at it's highest. It went up in spite of antis using our own to try and devour us. Yes, certain issues like wolves will bring much emotion to the table, but the general public probably puts anti's rhetoric in the same box with Nugent's hype.

Speaking of wolves, the debates here allowed me to understand the issue much more than my limited experience would allow. Some issues like baiting have been beat to death and nothing to be gained from more of the same, but other issues like the wolves and goats being "removed" from certain sheep ranges makes some of us aware of things we would not otherwise be. Thanks.

15-Mar-20
Frank, "hunter approval" is high, so long as the public approves of how and what we hunt. When they had the chance to decide on spring bear hunting, fall baiting, and hounds, they disapproved by a ratio of 69-31%.

15-Mar-20
Agreed, some unwise decisions like Spring Bear hunting being eliminated in one Canadian province, Ontario, only to be reversed years later when bears became a problem again. That survey screams "focus on hunting as a conservation tool" and everything will take care of itself. Too much focus on trophies within our own ranks probably for the public to be comfortable. That's why it took me so long to join P&Y, glad though conservation is front and center a part of their Mission.

16-Mar-20
"So if a hunter is against baiting deer and advocates for it to be illegal, that means they are coming after bowhunting next? "

Obviously haven't been around when rifle hunters are throwing bowhunters under the bus as being "unethical" in many cases trying to claim their seasons for their own. On another level we have bowhunters, some here on this site, that are essentially doing the same, trad hunters trying to eliminate compound hunters. Baiting bears a great example above. Hunting with hounds, etc.

The answer is yes. Advocating methods of take be outlawed w/regards to feelings and "ethics" by a few for the many, based on their personal feelings and "fair chase" rather than science and established practices will eventually lead to everyone's methods being made illegal. And as stated..... nobody left to come to the rescue of the ethically pure when it comes to their turn in cage.

Throwing folks to the alligators to keep them busy and at bay.....

Basically, nobody is saying YOU have to hunt in any certain way or method other than the one YOU choose. That's an awesome personal freedom. But to not support other hunters doing the same, worse yet advocating to eliminate those methods based on "feelings"...... yeah, IMO that's not good for hunting.

16-Mar-20
I'm curious how people make bold and italic printing in their responses.

16-Mar-20
b what you want in bold /b

APauls, bracket what you want in bold in-between what I did above, only put the less than and greater than sign in that order around the first b and the slash b.

Having a difference of opinion is not the same as throwing people under the bus. Discourse is how standards advance.

• Sitka Gear