CCOVEY 21-Mar-20
CCOVEY 21-Mar-20
CCOVEY 21-Mar-20
CCOVEY 21-Mar-20
Medicinemann 21-Mar-20
CCOVEY 14-Apr-20
GhostBird 14-Apr-20
20-Mar-20
Well since my job site is shutdown (due to snow) and whats currently happening with the Coronavirus i figured it was as good a time as any to type out my 2019 hunting season. Ive been a member for quite a while and don't contribute too much.

Some background about me: I'm 32, and live in Lakewood CO. I work as a superintendent for a general contractor all along the front range. Current assignment is out in Aurora.

20-Mar-20
Time for spring turkey, the wait was finally over! Due to work commitments i had 2 days to hunt birds. My buddy Jim, who now lives i Iowa, and my other buddy KC take an annual trip to Nebraska to chase gobblers every year. We've done this every year since Jim moved out of Colorado, as its a good time to catch up on whats going on in our lives and drink some beer while we do it.

We rolled into town late Friday night, mid April. We decided with the limited time and having no clue where the birds would be it was probably best to bring the scatter guns. Jim was there to great us with a warm fire as we pulled in around midnight.

After a quick hello, that turned into an all night deal, we were off to bed. It was 3AM and morning was fast approaching.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Myself and Jim with our birds.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Myself and Jim with our birds.
We got out of bed the next morning, by bed i mean the front seats of our vehicles, and headed for the woods.

We were greeted with some distant gobbles before first light and started making the journey to where we thought the birds might be. As it started getting light we picked a couple trees about 20 yards apart and took our perch for the morning sit. It didn't take long and the birds were on the ground. They were vocal in the roost but once they hit the ground, not a peep.

about 15 minutes went by and i made a few soft yelps, as soon as they came out of my mouth i saw a bird fast approaching. before we knew it we were covered up in turkeys. there were a couple good ones in the group and i was sitting there with my shotgun up ready to go. Jim was to my right, and KC to my left. I was waiting for one of these guys to touch one off as we were in a stalemate just sitting there watching em strut. Finally Jim let one drive.

I watched the bird Jim shot flop, I picked a redhead and shot as well. I watched the one i shot at flop, get up and start taking off. I shot again and that sealed the deal. I looked over and KC was just there smiling with him phone in his hand taking video. We laughed later than no one wanted to shoot first to be greedy but it all worked out in the end.

20-Mar-20
I'm in.

20-Mar-20
After taking some photos and getting the birds back tot he truck we were off to find the next bunch. There's a farmer next door that lets us hunt so we stopped into his place with a ham and some elk meat for our yearly visit. We ended up chatting with him and his boys for the next few hours and before we knew it it was midday.

We fixed some sandwiches on the tailgate of the truck, and glassed the farmer property. There were a lot of turkeys roaming around midday and also a lot of deer. We hung out for a while, took a nap, and were back at it.

KC still had a tag and the goal was to get one on the ground for him. The area we hunt has a a lot of draws so walking and calling works well. We spent the afternoon setting up and working birds, but weren't able to get one to come in. We spent the evening roosting birds on both pieces and set a plan for the morning.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Mr. Boswell with his fine Nebraska bird
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Mr. Boswell with his fine Nebraska bird
Then next morning we were back at it and the turkeys were right where we left them. Just a mile East of where we were the day before and a little hungover we made our way towards the roosting tree. We setup within 100 yards of where we figured the birds would fly down to and setup a couple decoys. I stayed back and KC and Jim got about 20 yards ahead of me.

We heard the birds hit the ground and it was on! Ive got an old box call my dad gave me when i was a kid and thought it would be cool to call one in with it. It took some coaxing with that and the mouth call but 45 minutes later a beauty tom and some hens were working our way.

KC doesn't know too much about turkey hunting as he had never done it until we met. But the bird coming in was a good one, one of the better ones i've seen out there. Once he got in sight i stopped calling and let the decoys do the work. A minute later the turkey was on the ground and KC was smiling ear to ear.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Jakes all smiles headed towards the target range
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Jakes all smiles headed towards the target range
The next hunt i had was in May with my buddy Jake. We we headed to BC to chase spring bears with an outfitter. This was a spot and stalk style of hunt and one i was really looking forward to. Jake and i met through another friend and had never hunted together but neither of us were bothered. We figured we would have a good time regardless, and we did.

We landed in BC and met our guide. turns out we were in camp in time to get out for the evening. Jake and i grabbed out bows and got some practice in before we headed out for the night.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Jake with his Canadian bear
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Jake with his Canadian bear
We had both killed bears before and both knew what we were after. Jake shoots a stick bow, I a compound. I was after a big bear and Jake said he was going to shoot whatever he could get in range of. Turns out he gets in range of a lot of stuff and had shot a super 10 with a stick bow, finishing it out a couple years prior to us meeting.

We spotted a bear about an hour before dark, and he was in a good spot for a stalk. We crawled through a gully to get within bow range. Ryan popped his head up and the bear was walking right towards us. Jake said he wanted to shoot it and i was all for it! The bear was walking broadside at 10 yards and Jake drew his bow and popped over the ditch.

Thwack! I watched a perfectly placed arrow hit its mark and the bear tore out of there.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Ryan and Jake tracking the bear
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Ryan and Jake tracking the bear

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Nice shed
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Nice shed
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Trying my luck with Jake's rig.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Trying my luck with Jake's rig.
Jake's hunt was over before it even started. But i still had a week and i was looking forward to it! The next few days were spent riding mountain biked on old logging roads, cruising them in Ryans Tracker (the war wagon) and hiking around. We averaged about 6 bear sighting a day, but nothing i was interested yet.

I hadn't been to BC since i was in high school and skied competitively. I forgot how pretty it is up there. This outfit typically hunts from noon on during the day, so mornings were spend shooting, and chatting with the other guys in camp. We were fortunate that there were some cool dudes to share camp with.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
never hunted around these guys before...
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
never hunted around these guys before...
Well i got three stalks in on big bears while i was there, but it wasnt meant to be. Ill add i could have shot an averaged size bear about everyday had i wanted to. It was a super fun hunt with some super good scenery. Jake and i are planning another hunt for this upcoming fall as well.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
might have been the culprit?
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
might have been the culprit?
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Sow looking for her cub. Who happened to be in a tree close to us.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Sow looking for her cub. Who happened to be in a tree close to us.

20-Mar-20
Well there's a start. Time to spend some time with the lady and the dog (who will be in the story later).

Stay tuned. We still have a long ways to go. Antelope, Elk, Whitetails and the sort.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
doesn't get much prettier than that.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
doesn't get much prettier than that.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Up next is archery antelope in my home state of Colorado. Over the years this has been one i really look forward to. Hunting these things on public land in the plains of Colorado, spot and stalk, is one of the most challenging things i've done with a bow. Usually its KC and i cruising to Eastern Colorado in search of some speed goats to flings arrows at. This season it would be different. KC had a kid due in the middle of August so he was out as far as archery hunting was concerned.

KB, who is KC's dad has hunted with us for a few years. hes been a long time gun hunter but has gotten into archery over the last couple years. He was game to come along and crawl around the prairie with me, and i was happy to have him. we spent the next three days doing our damnedest to get him an opportunity...

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
We were into goats from the moment we got there, but were playing hell to find groups that weren't already being harassed by other hunters. We found a piece of public land that had seemed to be overlooked by other hunters and its just what we needed to get things going.

We spent, hours, and days crawling around. either getting busted from 500 yards away, or crawling up to bow range and not being able to draw out bows. I always figure it takes 10-15 stalks on these guys until you find one to cooperate anyway, but that's just me.

We were up before the sun on day two and making our way to the perch to glass a canyon. Once it got light KB noticed a pronghorn directly to our right, about 275 yards away. There were a few rolling hills between us so we spent the next 2 hours crawling our way through the cactus to get within bow range. The goat stood up out of his bed, looked around and bedded again, this time facing the other way. I figured it was our time to get up and cover as much ground as we could to get close to him. We stood up and speed walked until we were within 55 yards of him. We hit our knees and KB loaded an arrow. As soon as he did the buck stood up and started walking at us. I figured he was either dumb or blind but i wasn't asking any questions. he walked to 35 yards and with no cover KB tried to draw his bow. Well that caught his attention and as soon as he was there, he was gone.

On to the next one.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
KB is a hell of a cook. here he is getting the pan ready for some lunch
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
KB is a hell of a cook. here he is getting the pan ready for some lunch

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
not a bad castle
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
not a bad castle
Little side note. I bought a truck tent last summer as me, Emily and the dog like to travel. If you have thought about getting one i would say do it. It makes for a quick place to crash if you're able to hunt out of your vehicle.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
My best buck to date
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
My best buck to date
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
The next day we were off to another piece of public land. We started walking in and we spotted a nice buck right away. He was in a great spot for a stalk and it was going to take a while to get to him. KB elected to chase him and i chose to go check out a couple other pieces of public just up the road.

As i approached the next piece of public land i spotted a buck right away, directly in the center of the public section. I parked my truck and watched him for about 40 minutes. He was acting awful strange. There was a water tank in the middle with a small corral and he kept walking slow circles around it, never bedding down. I figured he was protecting the water from other bucks and thought it could work to my advantage. I grabbed my bow and headed towards the tank. I waited until the buck made it half way around the tank and made my move. I had about 400 yards to cover and not a lot of time to get there, and as a self proclaimed fat kid i figured id get my workout in. I sprinted a couple hundred yards and stopped, searching for the buck. I took off again until i saw the buck start to round the side of the tank. I hit the dirt and was met with a thigh full of cactus, better than a rattler i suppose. At ground level i couldn't see the buck so i kept moving, sliding my bow as i crawled until i reached the small corral.

I was up on my knees, nocking an arrow and searching for the buck as i did. I peaked around the side of the wooden post and there he was. Within bow range and looking the opposite way. I took 3 or 4 ranges on him quick, locked on and drew my bow. I had to walk on my knees sideways to clear the post but he was none the wiser. I took my time, settled the pin into the west wind and let it go. I watched the arrow hits its mark and the goat turn inside out as he went on a death run. 80 yards and a few short seconds later he was dead.

20-Mar-20
Now for my favorite season of them all, archery elk! I spent exactly zero days scouting for elk last summer. Work was crazy busy and i was logging Saturday and Sundays along with my typical 60 hours a week. We had a deadline we had to hit for a University in Colorado and pushing student move in wasn't an option. I figured no big deal, business as usual for elk. We have some great spots and had no issues with elk, or people last year. Boy, was i wrong.

The night before the opener my girlfriend, Emily, and i made the climb to our usual OTC spot. Its not an easy one, but one i've done a lot over the last few years. After a couple miles and couple thousand feet we were on a bench above treeline setting up camp. An hour before last light a herd of elk popped out into the basin below us, with a dandy bull bugling like it was middle of the rut. We sat there and glassed them while making a plan for the next day. A few minutes later KB popped up over the ridge looking like he needed some water and snack. We shot the breeze long enough for KB to set his tent and as soon as he had shelter he went to bed. Emily and i were up most the night, excited for the next day.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Emily getting a mid day nap in
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Emily getting a mid day nap in
At first light the next morning the three of us were in our glassing position searching the basin for the elk we had seen the night before. Sure enough, they popped out in the same spot they went in the night prior. We made a plan to loop around the bull and his cows to get the wind in our favor. Halfway down the steep slide i looked up to see a hunter up above them. We stopped and watched as he made his move. Not long after he dropped in the elk blew out of there, i could only assume he didn't have good wind.

Off to the next basin. We got to the next basin mid morning and stopped to have a snack. We glassed most of the afternoon from the same spot hoping to hear or see an elk. Sure enough, 2 hours before last light another herd pops out. They are in a great spot for a stalk. We start our way towards them. As we get within a couple hundred yards i look up and see a couple other hunters coming in from above them, i know how this will play out. The lead cow barks, the herd busts and that was the last of it. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
I like to draw these and tell Emily i found them. Don't tell her though.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
I like to draw these and tell Emily i found them. Don't tell her though.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Hadn't seen one of these up there before.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Hadn't seen one of these up there before.
Well the next two days are spent hiking, glassing, calling, drawing hieroglyphs and enjoying the outdoors. Or as some say "bow hiking". I later found out that the guys coming in from all directions were coming off the private below, as getting to the public is a long hike if you don't have access through there, which we don't and is what made it so good the years prior. That's how it goes though, nothing is sacred and there's plenty more areas to hunt!

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
a bull a long way off
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
a bull a long way off
Back to work and Tuesday, but lucky for me i only had to work for two days and it was off to the elk woods. I spent most of those two work days trying to figure out where to go. i landed on an area i had hunted deer with a gun and always wanted to chase elk with a bow. Off to the western slope to try my luck.

Wednesday night we were back in the truck and headed on a 4 hour drive to find some elk. We landed around 9PM after stopping in town for some fuel and to fill some gas cans. We could hear elk bugling from our truck tent that night, that was a surprise. The area we chose was PJ country and it was hot, like summer hot. We got up the next day and started our way to a nearby ridge to glass.

We spotted some elk mid morning and made a play at them, but by the time we got there they were gone. That was alright though, at this point we were a couple miles back and it opened up some new country i hadn't been to before. We were able to find some really nice deer and see a few elk back there, and the best part....we had it all to ourselves.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Hard to tell, but a good buck
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Hard to tell, but a good buck

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Snapped this photo while heading to the next spot
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Snapped this photo while heading to the next spot
The next day was more of the same until about midday. Lighting storms moved in and i took cover for a couple hours while the storm passed by. When it stopped i started glassing again and saw a large plume of smoke a long ways off. I assumed it was a fire so i got on the horn and called into the nearest ranger station. I wasn't the first guy but it was a new experience seeing a fire start. I hadn't seen too much that day so i decided to relocated a few drainage's over.

Emily and i hiked into a area we were hoping had some water, as that was few and far between. We sat there and heard a bugle crack off a little before dark. We watched the opposite side of the canyon fill with elk. Talk about luck. It was too late to make a play but we knew where we were going to be the next morning.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
i dont know, will it?
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
i dont know, will it?
Emily and i were in the same spot as the night previous as the sun was rising. We could hear the elk but hadn't been able to locate them as of yet. We dropped down into the bottom as soon as the thermals switched and started working a bull. He was super vocal and a real nice one. He would come in just out of range and we played cat and mouse for a couple hours before he went to bed mid morning. I still had a couple days so chose not to push in after him. I figure i would ambush him in the afternoon or that evening when i had a little better wind. Back up the hill we went to have some lunch at camp. My buddy and his boy were up there that weekend hunting bears so we stopped by their camp and hung out for a little while before getting back after the elk.

After glassing a few areas we went back to where we were that morning. We made our way to our vantage point and dug in for a long sit.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
We watched as the first elk of the evening started his way down the hill. Problem was, we were 200 yards above where he would cross on his way up the drainage. I looked at Emily and said i had to get lower. As soon as the first bull crossed and made his way out of sight i started down the shale covered hill. It wasn't exactly silent. I was halfway down and looked up and another elk, this time a little bigger bull than the first. I stopped and let him pass by, once out of sight i moved closer. I got to a place i had some cover to shoot if another elk chose to do the same thing. Some of the sage is over my head in this area and it made for a great back drop to stand in front of. I knocked and arrow and stood there. It wasn't 5 minutes later i heard a branch break.

I could see some movement up the hill where the two previous elk had came from, and i was ready for that big bull if he was about to do the same thing. I had ranged where the other elk crossed, 28 yards, and had my release on the d loop. I watched as the third bull came marching on the same trail. I drew my bow when his head went behind some brush. I could tell he was legal and i wasn't going to give him a pass. I stopped him, perfectly broadside, and sent it. Shot looked good and i was a happy dude.

I made my way back up the hill to Emily, who was more excited than i was. She was able to watch the whole thing unfold through her binoculars. Having her there was the coolest part of the hunt for me. We headed back to the truck so she could grab her pack and so i could call my buddy to see if he could help. Sure enough, he was there within an hour and we were off searching for my bull.

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
My buddy Josh and his boy Caleb
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
My buddy Josh and his boy Caleb
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
He broke my lucky arrow!
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
He broke my lucky arrow!

20-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
I imagine most of you know this feeling! If it looks like it sweating, its because i am.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
I imagine most of you know this feeling! If it looks like it sweating, its because i am.

20-Mar-20
That's it for the evening. Will try and finish tomorrow. Still have some great hunts left!

20-Mar-20
Awesome so far! Keep it coming!

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
cool views
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
cool views
Since KC couldn't hunt with me for the archery seasons, he decided to use his points and get some rifle tags. He had an antelope tag that he waited 10 years to draw, and he was pretty excited about it. He hunted this are as a kid with his dad and uncles and hadn't been back in a couple year. I had a couple days to burn since my elk season was cut short and was looking forward to being another set of eyes for him.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Cool spot we hiked to
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Cool spot we hiked to
We made it out there early enough Friday night to cruise around and get some glassing in. There were plenty of critters to go around and not many people in this part of the unit.

21-Mar-20
Thanks for sharing sounding great.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Ready to roll
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Ready to roll
The next morning we were back in the truck, headed to a spot we had seen a good buck the night before. We glassed for 20 minutes and picked him out about a mile away. We had no idea at that distance if it was the same one but figured he was worth a closer look. We started our way towards him.

About halfway there we watched as a truck started bajaing out through the sage, wtf KC said. We stood there and watched as 4 guys in orange rolled out of the truck and started their way towards the same goat. Well back to the truck we went, leaving them and the buck to figure it out.

On our way to another area KC spotted a buck and couple does on the side of a sage covered canyon. We grabbed the glass and tripods and started watching. He looked like a respectable buck and KC wanted to get closer to give him a better look. It was flat, but we had some cover to get there. Over the course of the next hour and a half we made our way slowly towards the buck, trying to keep tabs on him as we did. At some point we lost him, but figured he either bedded or was behind some taller cover.

We got to a bush we had ranged that should have put us 150 yards from him. We were scouring the sage trying to pick him out. I turned around and spotted him off to our left. I had my spotting scope on the tripod and let KC look him over. He decided he wanted to shoot him so i popped the scope off and he used my tripod for a gun rest.

BOOM. I watched through the binos as the buck stood their and didn't flinch. "dude you missed, shoot again". The buck was unbothered as KC racked another round. On the second shot he took his time and i watched the buck drop at the sound of rifle discharging.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Annie, the lion hound in training.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Annie, the lion hound in training.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
I snap off more lures than i catch fish.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
I snap off more lures than i catch fish.
Well i was done with hunts in Colorado and it was time to get out with the dog and lady to catch some fish! The rut was fast approaching and i would be headed to meet my brother and father for our yearly whitetail hunt.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Looks good, lets go hunting.
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Looks good, lets go hunting.
November 1st rolled around and i was headed to the midwest. I get to spend a week with my dad and brother every year chasing whitetails and its something i really look forward to. We have been doing this hunt for 11 years, 10 of those years i've been in Colorado while they have been driving from Vermont.

A couple weeks before the hunt the lady and i grabbed my treestand and headed to the national forest in Colorado. The year prior i pulled a boner out of my treestand, wounding a really good buck. I wanted to ensure that didn't happen again. We setup and shot for a few hours while spending a Saturday enjoying the mountains

21-Mar-20
I got into town Friday night, with my family expecting to arrive Saturday afternoon. I got about 4 hours of sleep and was up getting my gear together for the morning hunt. I threw my stand on my back and made my way to a familiar tree that i've had success out of. The morning hunt was slow but i did see some deer, just not where i thought i would.

I spent the middle of the day walking some nearby public land and realized no one was in town hunting yet. This was unusual as the public land around here is usually covered up with people.

That evening i went back to the same piece of property but moved my stand about 60 yards from where i had hung it that morning. The evening hunt was incredible. There were deer everywhere and for the most part i was right in the middle of them. As it was getting dark a really nice buck popped out of the cedars. He was out of range and staring up the hill behind me to my right. I peered over my shoulder and saw an even bigger buck staring back. He snort wheezed, pinned his ears back and made his way to the other deer. They circled each other and the fight ensued. This wasn't one of those play fights, they were full on trying to kill each other and it made for a heart pounding experience. They fought until it was pitch black out, eventually running directly under my tree grunting and thrashing their way past.

21-Mar-20
Great pictures and thanks for sharing your adventures!

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Will it be enough?
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Will it be enough?
Well months before the season had arrived i did my yearly call around. I try to call a dozen new people or so and ask for permission to hunt. If i get maybe or a yes i stop into their house to introduce myself and drop off some goodies. This year i was 1 for 12 and it was exactly what i needed.

After stopping into the land owners house and the farmer that managed the property my dad, brother, and i started walking a new piece to possibly hunt. There was really good sign and a tucked away ag field you couldn't see from the road. There was one really big community scrape with another dozen or so along the field edge. We hung my stand in the only tree we could find to get a hang on into. About 23 yards from that scrape, covering a couple runways to the North. That evening was calling for a NW wind, which was perfect for that spot.

I was in the tree 5 hours before last light, excited to see what the new spot was going to produce. A couple hours before dark i looked to my right and saw a nice buck coming down the field edge. I pulled my binos up and immediately knew he was a shooter. He had a busted G2 on his left side but i didn't care. He was big bodied and had some trash and if he gave me the chance i was going to capitalize.

He was on a march for that community scrape, stopping a freshening up 3 others before he got there. Before he popped out into my shooting lane i drew m bow. I stopped, picked up his back leg and starting scratching his nose. I was at full draw as he stood there for what felt like a minute behind the brush.

I started to shake a little as i was holding my bow back, then he took a couple steps out into the open. I settled my pin and bleated, he stopped and looked around. I let it fly and heard a crack, he donkey kicked and snapped my arrow off with his front left leg. "you stupid MFer" i said in my head. You just shoulder shot a deer at 23 yards. I watched as he ran about 80 yards and cut into the woods. I heard some crashing and then silence.

My mind was racing. I should have been able to hear him for longer, or seen him come out the other side. Is he dead in there? I had to climb down to at least see how much arrow i got in him.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
As he lay
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
As he lay
Well the suspense was killing me, and it looked like there was enough arrow in him that he was probably dead right where i last heard him. I climbed back out of my treestand and made a slow approach to where i saw him go in. There was a decent amount of blood where he ran and it had nice bubbles in it. I took small steps until i could see the bottom of the draw.

There he was! He didn't make it far and expired within seconds of being hit. I was some relieved and excited to say the least.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
I shot my brother and father a text and waited until Matt showed up to help me drag. We got the deer back to the truck and had a few celebration beers back at the rental. I hung the deer for the night and got some good photos the next day before processing him,

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Funky on one side
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Funky on one side
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
The deer cart was a life saver on this one!
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
The deer cart was a life saver on this one!
We spent the afternoon of the next day walking some more public land that we hadnt noticed before. It was a large piece and had a bunch of wooded fingers on it. The three of us split up and all found some really promising sign. A couple hours later we were back at the truck comparing all the pins we dropped between our phone.

Matt found a back corner of the property that looked really good. While he was checking it out he watched a a giant chase a doe for over 20 minutes. That's why you never leave your bow in the truck. He said he could have shot him multiple times from the ground as the buck ran by him twice at under 30 yards.

Well Matt's mind was made up and he was going to be in there in the morning. The next day Matt and dad headed separate directions and i went to another area to try and shoot a doe. I got a text at 9:30 from Matt, "got one down". I sat for another 30 minutes and headed his way.

Matt had seen 4 different bucks that morning and the 4th didn't make it through his shooting lane without and arrow. He was a super cool deer and Matt was happy to kill him.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
No heart tacos on Matt's buck
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
No heart tacos on Matt's buck

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
A great buck for a great guy!
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
A great buck for a great guy!
Well dad still had a buck tag in his pocket and spent the next few days bouncing around seeing what he could find. He had a great encounter with a really old deer out of the same tree i killed mine. Unfortunately the deer caught his wind and that was the last he saw of him. We did get a cool trail cam photo of him but i cant seem to find it.

On the evening of day 6 dad had a nice deer come past him that he chose to shoot. We never know what the buck is going to be so we dub his deer as "Ray bucks". A "Ray buck" may be big, may be small, may be old, may be young. You never know and i love it! Dad doesn't choose his deer for size and makes no excuse for what he kills. He loves hunting more than any man i've ever met and is always happy to fill his tag. Is reverse, we are always the most happy to see him fill his tag out of the three of us.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Meat, its what's for dinner
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Meat, its what's for dinner
2 days before i had to leave and go back to work i was able to shoot a doe out of the first tree i settled in on day 1. My buddies love whitetail meat and i usually try to shoot a nice doe if i can as well so we can process all the meat and split it up. She gave me a 37 yard shot and didn't make it too far before expiring.

21-Mar-20

CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Annie girl
CCOVEY's embedded Photo
Annie girl
The rest of my season was spent training my hound on bobcat scent and trying to put a lion in a tree with a couple new friends i met last year. 2019 was another great year, looking forward to what 2020 has in store.

21-Mar-20
Thanks for following along and letting me share my season with you. Hopefully you enjoyed it.

21-Mar-20
A very enjoyable read and great distraction as I wait for turkey season.

14-Apr-20
Thanks Medicinemann

14-Apr-20
Thanks for sharing... good stuff.

• Sitka Gear