Rut Nut 23-Mar-20
BigStriper 23-Mar-20
Owl 23-Mar-20
Dutch oven 23-Mar-20
Owl 24-Mar-20
Owl 24-Mar-20
rattles33 24-Mar-20
22-Mar-20
As friends hit Costco and sams club to stock up on hamburger, roasts and the like to feed their families for a couple of weeks.. or longer, I can’t help but hope that the nonhunting community might get a better sense of why we hunters do what we do. The sense of self worth being able to provide for ourselves and family is inherent..or used to be...in our dna. Be well.

22-Mar-20
X2 You also

22-Mar-20
Rattles33

I am sure you missed the point on this The friends that are shopping at Costco and Sam's ARE providing for their families. The are doing so by making enough money to provide for their families

You are confusing so much with this.

You are doing what you feel is right by killing game to feed your family Others are doing what they feel is right to provide for their family without hunting

22-Mar-20
I there with them. Elk hunting was slow and I passed a few deer before running out of time to put one in the freezer. Have enough from years past for a while but not nearly enough to skip the grocery store.

22-Mar-20
Just think of all the more meat needed if hunting wasn’t allowed

22-Mar-20
^...great point!

22-Mar-20
Exactly Brad ..and RK he didn't miss anything...he meant without having to rely on the local grocery store.

22-Mar-20
Red meat is actually a smaller portion of our (human) diet.

Grains, greens, and fruits are a larger part. A lot of people, hunters included, don't know the first thing about tilling ground and getting a crop to come in, even if it is a small backyard garden.

But yes, it is piece of mind to know you can do some portion in a way that is not dependent on a tractor and trailer cruising down the interstate.

22-Mar-20
To RK, I don’t think rattles33 is missing or confusing anything?! I had to read your post about 3 times to even understand what the heck you were talking about!

Rattles33 is simply saying he hopes the non hunting community might get a better understanding of why it’s good to be a hunter, where you have an ability to get your own meat instead of lining up at Costco and Walmart and hoping you can buy some today! Ours is in the freezer.

And yes we still need the potatoes...

22-Mar-20
Mike. Gotcha

Watch that Degner kid lmao!

He's a good one

23-Mar-20
"Red meat is actually a smaller portion of our (human) diet. Grains, greens, and fruits are a larger part. A lot of people, hunters included, don't know the first thing about tilling ground and getting a crop to come in, even if it is a small backyard garden."

-Judging by society at large, we don't even rely too heavily on veggies and fruit. Grains and sugar, mostly. And that's a manifest shame because we evolved to eat meat and fat almost exclusively. There is absolutely no need to go to the grocery store -for food- if you have a full freezer. That aside, the OP's point remains, hunting and fishing reduces the burden on retail food stores to the extent it is practiced and reasonably successful.

23-Mar-20
Edit: red meat should be a lower portion of a balanced diet.

23-Mar-20
I dunno folks, look what Cheerios did to Bruce Jenner

23-Mar-20
Good one Fuzzy!

23-Mar-20
"Edit: red meat should be a lower portion of a balanced diet."

Totally disagree but you do you.

23-Mar-20
I will take read meat. Eat like our earlier kin did. I will and I'll enjoy it. Long as I have just a pinch of salt in my possibles bag.

How much grains did you think early natives ate as a % of their diets? some sure but an aweful lot. I know if im tearing thru the calories under the rucksack in high country, sure I can eat bread, oats, carbs for a bit. Then, my body needs protein either red meat or inner organs of large game. Maybe it is the native blood in me I'm not sure but I have to have it.

K

23-Mar-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
tell me again how unimportant red meat was to early man

23-Mar-20
Red meat has some critical vitamins and nutrients you just can't get easily from other sources. That is a known fact. Any vegetarian who states otherwise is miss-informed or lying. While false health adds talk about GMO, growth hormones, antibiotic residues (which basically either doesn't exist or are destroyed by typical food preparation techniques), wild game never has had any of these issues. Forest bathing, social distancing, those new-age key terms all have been going on while hunting for millennia. I don't have any issues pointing this out to nonhunters. You need to have a back -up plan for commerical farming, food preparation. It might actually do you some good and while practicing hunting, fishing, outdoor activities it helps the environment via Lacey Act, Dingell/Johnson, Wallop Beadrox et.al. That should be required knowledge in schools, any education program. That way maybe some mouthly little kid who knows nothing about the environment doesn't end up on the cover of Time or idiot politicians draft up a crazy notion of the New Green Deal..

23-Mar-20
Are those early gardening hoes, fuzzy?!

23-Mar-20
t-roy I think they are asparagus cutters

23-Mar-20
My freezer is full with a half a beef(homeraised), a hog(homeraised), and 2 deer. I have 25 chickens that give me a dozen eggs a day and as soon as it warms will lay more like 20/day. The pasture is full of cows and I had 3 fat does out my window this morning. The diet might not be very diverse but if the store closes I’ll be just fine. I feel bad for those that live a week away from eating their neighbors.

23-Mar-20
Beautiful points there!

A lot of talent and work to make those kinds of points.

Definitely not made to cut up veggies!

23-Mar-20
I kind of had a similar thought. I'm not a prepper by any stretch, but have a deer in the freezer as well as some home raised beef. Small garden. Cows nearby if necessary. We know how to can, butcher, etc. Haven't bought eggs in 2 years because friends bring to us. Lake nearby with lots of fish. Wild game out the door. Things like that.

I too wondered if this might scare some people into being more self sufficient and realizing the benefits of home raised meat and/or healthy wild game.

When this runs its course, will we see a movement of people to hunt for wild game? Interesting to think about

23-Mar-20
I don’t know if this will sway any anti-hunters, I think probably not, but when you see people in lines at a gun store in COMMIEKALIFORNY, you have to think that some anti-gunners are gonna see the light, especially if you come after their TP and beenie weenies.....

23-Mar-20
"I feel bad for those that live a week away from eating their neighbors."

HA HA HA!! Funniest thing I've read in a while!

23-Mar-20
Nice point. I have watched guys make Clovis'. Those two big flakes off sides are very hard to get correct. Made for burying deep into large fleshy mammals.

You cant eat soy bean paste as protein for long without craving a big round steak or some hardwood fire grilled kibabs. OK, I do put peppers and onions tomatoes on my kibab sticks too.

K`

23-Mar-20
Embry. No worries, with your weight loss they’ll pick someone they can survive on longer. Lol

23-Mar-20
For everyone having a hay-day with the red meat comment, show me where it was ever said that red meat should not be a part of a balanced diet. Understand first what lower portion means and then comment.

Cheers.

23-Mar-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
From: Fuzzy 23-Mar-20 I dunno folks, look what Cheerios did to Bruce Jenner

LOL! But actually Fuzzy, it was WHEATIES! ;-)

23-Mar-20
Yeah, right, I'll just bet my non-hunting, gun-hating sister in-law is sheltering in place as we speak thinking just how awesome her blood-thirsty bowhunting brother in-law is! Sure..

I hope there's even less hunters in the field when this all blows over.

23-Mar-20
To me, "lower portion" means a lower percentage of a persons diet. I think red meat should be a higher percentage of most people's diet. But that's just me. Do what works for you.

23-Mar-20
Rut Nut...lmao I stand corrected. Damn red meat is rotting my brain.

23-Mar-20
Eat more veggies Fuzzy! : )

23-Mar-20
If this virus thing would have happened a couple months sooner I would have dropped the string on the Longbow a couple times while it was pointed at a couple Whitetails for more steaks and burger.

Kurt

23-Mar-20
HDE, my research indicates a balanced diet is very much what LINK posted. Over 99% of human DNA was developed during an ice age. They weren't eating fruit and veggies. Well, fruit, perhaps, in short seasons. Fibrous veggies were consumed in times of deprivation and were not nearly as starchy as our cultivated variants. They certainly weren't eating Twinkies, pie and ice cream. What we have come to understand, conventionally, as a "balanced" diet, is likely one of severe detriment and pathology. All one needs to do is look at the metabolic disorders we suffer now to realize how far off the mark we are nutritionally. Honestly,the notion that red meat should be a "smaller portion of our human diet" has no basis in evolutionary biology. A better question, biologically speaking, would be how to individually modulate protein and fat (almost exclusively) to our respective metabolic conditions. Carbohydrate consumption should be treated like handling fire and approached as scantly incidental or remedial. That's my very unpopular but well researched opinion.

23-Mar-20
"Over 99% of human DNA was developed during an ice age"

Show us your scientific references for this.

24-Mar-20
There is plenty of research identifying the Pleistocene epoch. What you are asking for is my math. The 2.3 million years of human development fell within the Pleistocene Epoch which ended roughly 12,000 years ago. That also coincides with the origins of agriculture. Do the math, over 99% of our development occurred during the last ice age (and prior to agriculture). More to the point, less than .0053% of our development occurred during the time of industrial food. The latter point is the most profound because it comprises an acute and radical departure from our evolutionary diet. One can spin or rationalize that away in any manner of choosing but commonsense says there will be significant consequences in following that path.

24-Mar-20
deleted double post

24-Mar-20
Mike ukrainetz nailed intent of my op. Never thought about the Pleistocene epoch:)

• Sitka Gear