Thisismyhandle 31-Mar-20
HH 31-Mar-20
carcus 31-Mar-20
Chief 419 31-Mar-20
TD 01-Apr-20
Mule Power 01-Apr-20
goelk 01-Apr-20
28-Mar-20
I have long been of the opinion that hunters are born, more so than made. Obviously there is a molding process that happens, and there are external circumstances that heavily influence our life choices to do something or not, but I have seen guys who were not born into hunting families that, when exposed to it, took to it like a fish to water.

For me personally, I was born into a hunting family. However, my oldest brother almost never hunts now, but my other 2 brothers are pretty committed. However, I have dived deeper than any of them and seem to have a stronger drive than they do. I have always attributed much of that to being the youngest and having to try harder to be their equal, but I also think my personality lends itself to that, and I was born with that more intense desire to hunt.

I was also exposed to fishing quite a bit as a kid, and while I enjoy fishing, my passion for it doesn't even come close to my passion for the hunt. My wife just shakes her head, because it doesn't matter if it's elk or gophers, I am just driven to hunt. I know there are others on here like that as well. My good buddies the Pauls boys and I are cut from the same cloth, and when we swap stories about our youth it cracks me up how similar we are. I also know that Idyllwild has mentioned that he wasn't raised hunting, but when he was exposed to it there was no looking back. It seems to me that our raising definitely plays a part, but there seems, that for many of us here in the BS, there are many commonalities in our personalities that drive us to hunt, like an invisible force. It's like it's the fiber and genetic makeup of who I am. I have often thought how nice it would be not to be so driven to hunt as I would have money for so many other things, but it seems as if you were to separate me from hunting it would be like separating my soul and body.

So what are all your thoughts? Are we born with a hunting drive like a pointer dog? Or is it mostly just what we have been exposed to? I think both play a major part, but I also think that with many of us it is more genetic and God given than others.

28-Mar-20
I was definitely born with it.

28-Mar-20
I think 95% of men are born with “it”. “It” can manifest itself several ways. I believe most gamers are hunters that no one took hunting or they discovered gaming first. The same thing that allows me to sit for hours in a tree or climb mountains is what keeps them up for hours playing call of duty.

28-Mar-20
I’d say more born to it than led to it. My daughter always laughs when someone at the dog park says their pointer is “just play hunting” because the dog had never hunted in its life. My daughter always responds with “ oh he really is hunting, it just looks like play because he enjoys it so much”.

28-Mar-20
It was baked in the cake. None of my family hunted or fished or had a love of the outdoors like I do. I don't know where it came from but I'm awfully thankful for it.

28-Mar-20
What if you asked the question on a fishing forum?

28-Mar-20
I think so. My dad would shoot a squirrel to eat, but he wasn’t a hunter. I started squirrel hunting at the age of 12 with dad’s old single barrel 12 gauge and never stopped. The only year in my life that I never hunted was when I was working in ND. Got there too late to hunt and left too early, besides that I was working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. I’m 73 and God willing, I’ll hunt until I die.

28-Mar-20
Speaking as a Science Guy....

Nature vs Nurture has been debated forever and we ain’t gonna settle it here...

And opinion polls won’t help.

If you love it, enjoy it. That part needs no further analysis...

28-Mar-20
"What if you asked the question on a fishing forum?"

The responders would exaggerate how big their commitment is. :^)

28-Mar-20
It’s part of our DNA. Even those men that have never been exposed to hunting shop at stores like they were hunting. Not a joke either. We know what we are after we go after it, buy it and are gone. Women on the other hand shop, men buy!

28-Mar-20
Both. My Dad hunted some but once he lit the spark I went all in. Quite jobs, lost girlfriends, quit the football team, sacrificed a lot of money and security to work in the industry and had a blast. When a family came along I had to re-prioritize with no regrets but luckily I crammed a lot in before that. Some nonhunters would still say I hunt a lot but only if they didn't know me when I was single :^)

My brother enjoys it but mostly just goes to hang out with me and my kids. My son likes it and most of my hunting time is used on trying to get him into critters. My daughter could take it or leave it. She is doing her online Hunter Ed during shut down and although hunting isn't a big deal to her she is actually a natural. Quiet in the woods, good situational awareness, clever (could be trouble) and focused on task.

28-Mar-20
75% born

25% with lots of training and commitment

28-Mar-20
Young video gamers are "hunters" too.

My father was a fisherman and had me in the outdoors since I can't remember. I love fishing too, but have had the hunting urge since I was old enough to make my own little bows and arrows.

28-Mar-20
Are people in inner city not born with it but country or rural people are.

28-Mar-20
I’ve gotta agree with DL a bit there...

There’s something about The Pursuit that we all have. And when are men NOT competing with each other?? Why do you think there’s the fixation with Bigger & More??? More points, more inches, more species, more tags filled.

I think some hunters just crave the Hunt, and some hunt mostly to have a way to succeed in competing with other men. The line can be pretty blurry sometimes, and a lot (if not most or all) of us will shift from one camp to the next over the years. Stages of a Hunter and all that....

Makes me wonder, though.... Would we still be as driven to do this if taking a 450” Elk carried all the social prestige of buying a #5 can of Folgers instead of a smaller can?

I don’t know - you listen to the orders at a Starbucks, and you’d think it was a competitive event. Maybe it is?

Maybe we just can’t help ourselves....

28-Mar-20
I wasn't born into it, but always interested and had a knack for walking up on whitetails in the woods in Ohio. Although I could spit on the sidewalk and pull a walleye or largemouth bass out if it at an early age. When I started hunting at the age of 32, there was no turning back and my 7 mag wreaked havoc on the SE NM mule deer population for 12 years. And then I discovered elk and a compound bow. Once again there is no looking back ;)

28-Mar-20
There are lots of guys I know that "like" hunting, but don't have the intensity many of us on this forum do. I have seen others that were born into a strong hunting family that just don't ever get into it. They could take it or leave it. I have a cousin like that. However, he loves music like I love hunting. I love music as well, and am musical, but have no where near the passion he does. When we were little boys, I mean like 2 or 3, I was running around like a maniac with toy guns and riding my tricycle everywhere and Joe would sit quietly and look at books. My mom actually commented to my aunt how she sometimes wished I was more like Joe! Interestingly enough two of Joe's older brothers were hunting fiends, as was my uncle. Joe was definitely not born with it, even though it was readily available and fostered in his family. It's just not a part of his DNA, where as for me it is 100%.

28-Mar-20
Oh, and the analysis is fun because we're in the thick of COVID-19 shutdown, and it's the hunting lull time of the year. Cabin fever at it's finest.

28-Mar-20
I think the draw to it is different in people. Some grow up in a hunting family but never hunt again after growing older. Vice versa. I think it is sonerbivv NBC b everyone could understand. But, not everyone is compelled to do it.

28-Mar-20
First you will have to define what hunting means. Some guys all they care about is antlers and that is all they pursue. Other guys just love being in the woods and enjoy whatever they shoot. Some it is how they hunt, hold themselves to close shots because to them that is being a hunter and being within the games danger zone is what excites them etc. I think we are all born with it but then we branch off to what is really important to each of us.

28-Mar-20
Hunters are all born. Non of them hatched.

28-Mar-20
There are many who "go hunting", but way fewer who are "hunters" as a lifestyle. Forums like this are where more "hunters" hang out.

28-Mar-20
Nature vs Nurture....Nobody in my immediate family hunted or played baseball:two of passions.

I lived in a small Iowa town so opportunity was there as well. So Id say it's a little of both but would definitely have to lean toward Nature. The same applies to most things we are passionate about vs forced into.

I remember reading Andre Agassi's biography years ago and remember how it opens:"I hate tennis."

Raised by an over-bearing father and pushed into the game he became great but hated it over time.

The book "Grit" by Angela Duckworth is excellent regarding topics like this.

28-Mar-20
I actually believe hunting is an innate trait, common to all humans, no different than the urge to mate. I believe as a species, we are ever evolving, just like all the other species on earth, and as we evolve, we are losing our innate tendencies towards hunting as it is less and less necessary due to changes in society. I was definitely born with it, and I’ll definitely die with it. So I suppose I’m just slightly less evolved than those that don’t feel the need to hunt.

28-Mar-20
This was written years ago, but still makes a lot of sense.....

Some People Go Hunting, Others are Hunters:

"The difference has nothing to do with skill or refined ethics. One is not generally superior to the other. The difference may be in the molecular dots and dashes of genetic code. It may have to do with the bending of character in the tender years of childhood. Whatever the case, the result is the same.

An outfitter friend of mine had a client with time and money enough to put a lot of heads on the walls of his spacious trophy room. One day, the client called my friend and said he needed to sell his trophies. He’d gotten himself a new wife who disapproved of hunting. It was a long time before I came around to understanding that man. My first reaction was glib. Get another wife. Then I wondered how a man marries a woman without knowing she’s going to hassle him for hunting. And if he does know her inclination, why bother with her at all?

Fact is, my thinking was wrong. I expect the man did what was right for him. I hope he simply cared more for the woman than he did for hunting. I hope he was the sort of man who just went hunting. Because he and his new wife have hard times coming if he is a Hunter.

Except for those hampered by ill health or advanced age, people who “used to hunt” invariably turn out to be people who went hunting. They will tell you how they quit when they went to college or moved to the city. They make it sound reasonable as if reason counted for anything. To a Hunter, these explanations sound rather strange. As in, “yes, I used to breathe a lot, but it’s really too much trouble when you live in Chicago”. For the Hunter, you see, does not go as a matter of convenience. He goes because he must. And even if you sentence him to pavement for an indeterminate period, he remains a Hunter. He will only cease to be a Hunter when he ceases being.

At the end of his life, my father was sick for a long time. We both knew he was never going to get better. And two weeks before he died, we talked about a new gun he wanted, the shooting he would do with it. He was a Hunter.

Ask a man who goes hunting what he is and he will probably give you his occupation....fry cook, podiatrist, engineer. Likely he thinks of himself as being that job. The Hunter will ordinarily make the same kind of response. He is lying. He will state his occupation to satisfy social convention, but he knows full well that the thing he does to earn money is not what he is.

There is no certain way to predict whether a person will be a Hunter, or one who goes hunting, or one with utterly no desire to hunt. A friend of mine whose family traditions are deeply rooted in hunting, has a son who was introduced properly, encouraged, and given every opportunity to become a Hunter. The son is a fine young man in all respects, but you could not make him show up to deer camp with a club.

Another man of my acquaintance was born to a family of aristocratic, city dwelling intellectuals. He never spent a day in the field until he was grown and had a family of his own. Despite the odds against it, he’s a Hunter to the bone. Pushing a youngster in either direction is useless.

I knew parts of this year’s ago. Yet the whole thing came clear only within the last month, as I read a quote from an outdoor magazine. The quote consisted of a single sentence, reportedly spoken from Sitting Bull. Which is about as strong and straight as words can be. “WHEN THERE ARE NO MORE BUFFALO, WE WILL HUNT MICE, FOR WE ARE HUNTERS AND WANT OUR FREEDOM.”

A non-hunter might get tangled up in the plight of the buffalo and the injustices visited upon the Sioux. The Hunter will not. This is not a statement of sorrow or regret. Instead, it is an eloquently simple observation on the nature of Hunters, and that hunting is natural. It also contains the absolute justification for hunting when basic survival is no longer at issue.

The modern Hunter routinely leaves the comforts of home, travels great distances, spends considerable amounts of money and endures physical hardship. These hunts are done with no assurance of success. Indeed the Hunter often knows in advance the odds are heavily against him.

Hunters have not yet been reduced to hunting mice, precisely because they saw that wildlife required assistance over a century ago. Hunters have a perfectly legitimate claim to the animals they pursue, a claim far more compelling than the perverted foolishness of the “animal rights” movement.

Hunting is more than recreation, more than a wildlife management tool, more than an ancient occupation. Some are Hunters and want their freedom."

28-Mar-20
Busta Ribs x2

28-Mar-20
I agree with LINK above.

As noted, I wasn't introduced to hunting, but was to fishing.

My Eureka! moment came because my passion was long distance backpacking/hiking and I took up archery just for the hell of it. The first time I saw a deer in the wild after shooting my first arrow, I immediately knew I was a hunter and always had been - I'd just never gone hunting.

28-Mar-20
For those that are serious bowhunters like 99% of guys on here it's really simple. We all have an extremely addictive personality. We are no different than the guys that are addicted to golf or fishing or shooting or a million other things people are addicted to. We may have all been introduced differently but we can all count our blessings it was bowhunting and not something stupid like golf.

Oh and don't hate on me for this, it was explained to me by an old friend that has been a bowhunter for over sixty years.

28-Mar-20
Almost all men and some women are born with it. Whether they realize it and embrace it is another topic. Can't escape what has fed us for thousands of years. We have a deep need to hunt.

28-Mar-20
Started hunting with my Dad, as soon as I could keep up with him. But, beyond that, I feel like it's embedded in my DNA.

I can't "not hunt".

28-Mar-20
Fully believe you are born with it ,my dad was never a big hunter but I remember being 3 years old dying to get into the woods ,praying my dad would take me with him,took 5 years before it happened 65 years later still going strong!. my brother could care less about hunting but his son when he was 5 years old I bought him a bow and a dozen arrows and a target the first day he lost all the arrows my brother and I looked around couldn't find any about a month later my brother was moving a wood pile when he started finding the arrows in the woodpile when questioning his 5 year old son his son came clean and told him that he was shooting at the chipmunks in the woodpile he didn't tells us he afraid of getting in trouble,Now 21 he cant get enough of the woods and hunting!!

28-Mar-20
I grew up in what was then the very edge of the suburbs, to parents who were both city born and bred. My only "exposure" to the outdoors was what I saw on TV, like Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett.

But once I learned and understood what they were doing hunting on those TV shows I knew right then and there that, THAT'S what I wanted to do and be. As soon as I could be outside on my own that's all I did was "play" hunter. I was in the woods and fields all the time. When I was 12 I started trapping.

I also had a younger brother who was raised right along with me who was a polar opposite of me as far as the outdoors went. I guess I got the gene but he didn't.

My father in his wisdom was well aware of this and when I was 13 he had a very good friend of his who was a classic all around outdoorsman take me under wing. He taught me the ways of the woods and all about weapons, guns and bows.

I was very fortunate to have this man as my mentor, but had I not I still would have pursued a hunting/fishing/outdoor life. I guess when you're programmed for it you have no choice!

28-Mar-20
I was born with it, always drawn to it, environment reinforced it, and my whole adult life been obsessed with it. Decades and several continents later and no sign of slowing down yet. Whether it was nature or nurture is immaterial now I’m hopelessly hooked.

28-Mar-20
I agree, Scrappy. I meet very few people in person who are the real deal. And when you meet them you know they're obsessed. It's the best conversation when you meet someone else who is truly into bowhunting. Which is probably why we're on this forum everyday.

Seems that people who don't obsess over bowhunting give it up pretty quick. Crazy how many guys only put in for it to have higher odds at a tag, but don't even own a bow before they draw. Then throw in the towel when they realize it's an amazing sufferfest.

I didn't start bowhunting until I turned 18, but I always wanted to hunt just never got to take hunters education. I like to think it's better that way because I pretty much had to figure out most of it on my own. The struggle made me obsess even more. I give up a lot of stuff in life to be able to hunt as much as I can. Wouldn't have it any other way.

28-Mar-20
"I actually believe hunting is an innate trait, common to all humans, no different than the urge to mate."

Totally agree. I grew up in suburban Orange County, CA. When I was a kid, I found the notion of sport hunting to be distasteful. There were no hunters in my family and had very little exposure to hunters in my early years (other than a weird mormon family who lived across the cul de sac).

Retrospectively, as a kid I hunted whatever I could whenever I could - mostly lizards, toads, frogs, and snakes. Was always out exploring when I could.

It wasn't until I was in college that I associated that drive with sport hunting and have been hooked ever since.

There is something beautiful about cultivating an instinct that manifests in us as kids into a productive pursuit in adulthood.

28-Mar-20
One of the things that tripped the trigger in me was a local restaurant in the center of my hometown. Every fall the owners would go on a hunting trip to Maine and come back with several deer and a bear or two. They actually set up a game pole right in front of the restaurant with the deer and bear hanging from it! When they had this I'd beg my mom to drive into town so I could see it. I couldn't get enough of it.

Today they'd be closed down by PETA protesters.

28-Mar-20
I’m kinda with GF on this one. I’m not going to analyze it, I’m just thankful my dad introduced me to hunting when I was four. I’ll be forever grateful that he planted the seed. As was said before, I can not not hunt!

28-Mar-20
I was hunting things in my dreams inside my mothers womb!

29-Mar-20
I don’t know that it’s a gene, as most of my family were farmers. One grandfather hunted and trapped as a kid and young man, but he did that for subsistence and survival through the Great Depression. He hadn’t hunted for many years when I came along.

I’m just very thankful that I grew up where I did, with the parents I have. I grew up with public land at the edge of the yard, and some very tolerant neighbors. And my parents let me run wild from an early age. It was only 30 years ago, but letting an 8-10 year old boy wander alone on thousands of acres of Corps of Engineers land would probably get you hotlined today :)

Thankful too that 30 years ago, you could still find and read books for kids with an outdoors, and hunting and trapping theme. Jim Kjelgaard and others, wrote outdoor themed books that really fired my imagination.

Then discovering Peter Capsticks books while still 12 or 13 years old, really did me in as well.

29-Mar-20
Being born in 1940 and growing up in a semi rural area of Ohio, to be "kid busy" one had to make do with what one had. My dad did hunt and fish once in a while, and took me along sometimes but I did a lot of exploring by myself, building a tree hut out of anything one might find, playing cowboy and indians, swing on natural vines,just being out of doors was great. Just being a kid was great. Actually there was not a lot to do as there were no organized after school games like there are today. But then there was also a lot to do. We moved up to Lake Erie in 49, and what a blessing that was. Roaming beaches, the marshes, the sand hills and farm lands. Fishing in the marshes for blue gills and bass or carp or pike. fun stuff even if we had blood suckers on our legs when we came out of the marshes or we fell through the ice and got wet and cold. Dad gave me my first shot gun at 12 years, a hand me down Winchester model 1897 with a 30 inch barrel. I still remember the first rabbit and first pheasant I killed with that shotgun. Almost all of the grown kids in the neighborhood had a 22 rifle, a shot gun, a dog, a bike (without fenders), I also had a cheap recurve bow to shoot carp with. That bow started my love of the stick and bow hunting for sure. As a kid, everything was fair game. More shots than actual hits but I did kill my first deer in the UP of Michigan while stationed on the Air Force.

So here I am years later, and still have the motivation and passion to hunt and to fish. DNA?, I guess. Born to be a hunter? I guess

Was I born with it? I guess so and it still rages on. my best, Paul

29-Mar-20
Yes, I'm always looking for critters, and have been for as long as I can remember...

29-Mar-20
Born into a hunting family living in the country. Never even thought about it...you just started shooting the .22, running a trap line and tagging along with someone rabbit hunting and such when quite young. Just a way of life.

29-Mar-20
Growing up we litterly hunted & fished for food my father would say it's not that we can't afford store bought meat but why buy it when hunting & fishing is so much fun. It actually was my chores to catch bluegills for supper in the summer & pidgions from the tobbaco barns in the fall & winter. And iv never changed my family has always eaten more wild game & fish than any iv ever known. Now all that said my oldest son has never been a killer he will ocaisonly go with me but it's just never been in his heart to kill things my younger son lives to hunt and fish

29-Mar-20
I was not born with it, but rather born into a family prcticing the culture.

29-Mar-20
No one in my immediate family hunted. I was a nature freak from the beginning and was handed a bow when I was 6 years old. The fuel on the fire....that still burns. After 50 years.

I have a difficult time imagining what would have filled the part of my life that hunting has occupied since I was single digits.....

Not necessarily proud of it now, but the trophy room of my memories includes almost anything that moved. Tweety birds, chipmunks, squirrels, barn swallows on the wing.....hell, we even visited construction sites and spent HOURS hunting mice! One kid would be at the ready with his stik bow while the other kid turned over a piece of plywood and started flinging as the mice tried to escape. I can still feel how exciting that was as an 8 or 9 year old kid.

Archery, added to the hunting experience, may have put me at the fringes of society, but it is a fringe that I will never regret, as again, the options would likely have resulted in an ugly end for me.

Dirt, woods, fields, creeks, rivers, mountains, valleys and pursuing the creatures that occupy them with my bow. Gods personal gift to me for my own salvation. I believe that.

Nature for me, no doubt.

29-Mar-20
I had some good teachers/guidance. Everything I do outdoors Is because of them

29-Mar-20
I don’t know. My dad hunted pheasants a couple times a year, or less. I had an uncle that hunted a lot, but I saw him once or twice a year or less. I turned out to be an avid hunter (small game) when I was a kid. Got into big game and archery after college. Not sure if born or what.

29-Mar-20
My dad did a little pheasant and rifle deer hunting. I also remember him having a bow, but not hunting. Ever since I can remember I loved hunting and couldn’t get enough. I could barely sleep at all the night before we would go pheasant or grouse hunting. I would lay in bed in anticipation 2 hours before my alarm went off counting the minutes down. I have two younger brothers, one hunts once or twice a year and the other not at all. I have a buddy that was just as obsessed as me that I met in jr high, and we still hunt together. My son is almost 21, and he likes to hunt a few times a year as well. I have never pushed him to hunt, but he has had way more opportunities than I did when I was growing up. He is not into near as much as I am.

29-Mar-20
I think "it" has to do with the environment, background and influences experienced in the growth and living process. I also believe it has to do with culture in which someone lives.

For example, I could care less about soccer, rugby or cricket. However, American youth are very much into soccer because they are being raised in that environment. As Americans, I do not believe that they get as fired up about rugby or cricket like a South African or Australian would be. Likewise they probably care less about American baseball.

29-Mar-20
ki-ke: Are we long lost brothers??? You just described my youth!

We even made our own slingshots and hunted squirrels with them.

29-Mar-20
I grew up with hunting and fishing, but the urge was always stronger in me than anyone else in my family. I definitely feel I was born with it. I also feel that there is no distinction between hunting and fishing. It's really the same thing. Some may like one more than the other, just as we may prefer big game over small game, but the pursuit is the same in my opinion.

29-Mar-20
Born. I’ve got 12 male cousins on one side of the family and my brother and I are the only ones that hunt, and he’s about as fair weather as it gets.

I get anxiety if it’s a fall afternoon and I’m not chasing pheasants or sitting in a deer stand.

I’ve got a couple nephews though that I think have “it”. One killed a tom last spring with me and the other hopefully will do the same here in a couple weeks. They love looking at my mounts and it’s all they talk about. Hopefully my son will be the same.

29-Mar-20
I was born with it. I hunted rabbits on my parent's small acreage and grandfather's ranch starting at age 6 til 12 and never got a single one with a BB gun or bow. I bugged my dad constantly until he bought me a $50, 20 gauge at age 12. The next bird season I shot a quail flying with my first shot ever on a flying bird. I was hooked long before I ever got to carry a real gun. I find it interesting that parents will drag kids hunting for years and try to make it as easy as possible for the "introduction" and the kid gets older and has no interest. Raising/watching my nephews and friend's kids, they will beg to go if they really want to.

30-Mar-20
I think most people who has the urge are born with it and for some the urge starts young and some it doesn't happen until something triggers it. My Dad mostly fished and from a young age I fished with a whole different drive than my two brothers and that drive morphed into hunting, fishing and anything outdoors. My Granddad was a hunter and fisherman and we always went fishing when the family visited their cabin in AZ but he hardly said a word to us kids. As I got older I realized Granddad and I had a different relationship than my brothers even though he didn't say much he would take me to his shop and show me his fishing gear that I never knew he had, we would also look at a few mule deer mounts he had hanging in the shop, he would open his gun safe and we would look at all the firearms, we did this every time we visited. He knew that I would cherish his stuff and ended up giving me many of his hunting and fishing possessions and my brothers didn't even know until years later. There are lots of social obstacles but I think you are what is handed down to you in your DNA.

30-Mar-20
My brother was born 8 years before me. He got to fish and hunt plenty as a boy. But he was like green, wet wood and no amount of flame ever lit his desire to hunt or fish.

You might compare me to dry tinder. All I needed was a spark. The fire (which includes fishing) has burned for all the decades of my life. I'm not a specialist....meaning exclusively passionate about hunting. I have a strong passion for both lifestyles and I'm extremely grateful it went that way for me.

I suppose my dna, my upbringing, our lifestyle and some personality traits all lined up to enable this. I recall being 18 years old and figuring out ways to get out of dates so I could hunt or fish. I had to do well in school so I could go hunting or fishing. I had to work hard so the work got done...and I could then hunt. I had to work as a boy so I had money to buys guns, bows, lures and such. So in my case I'd say the love of hunting and fishing was maybe 85% by nature and 15% by exposure. Think spark and tinder.

30-Mar-20
The instinct is innate. The aptitude is variable and, too often, untapped. IMO, the decline in hunting as practiced for sustenance is a fundamental regression rather than a progression in evolutionary terms.

30-Mar-20
Born into it... Rabbits and Beagles. GSP's pheasants and woodcock. Ducks and dekes. Shotgun deer drives and gangs (hated it). Picked up an old Ben Pearson "Critter Getter" around age 20 / 1984 and never looked back. Caught the archery bug when I heart shot a 6-point buck that same November! Most other forms of hunting, went to the wayside after that...

30-Mar-20
Born definitely...I was born in Manhattan and lived in Brooklyn till I was 6 when I moved to the suburbs of Northern NJ. My father is the farthest thing from an outdoors man and very few in my family are. My one uncle had some old guns on the walls, he didn't shoot or use them ever but I was always fascinated with them. Then I started watching hunting/fishing shows on ESPN Sat and Sun mornings which sparked me more. My parents are very supportive and allowed me to take a hunter safety course and pursue what would become my dream/lifestyle. Growing up in NJ, hunting wasn't popular but I didn't care. I've never been one to follow anyways. I shot my first deer ever with a bow when I was 14 and I never looked back. I was already hooked before I shot that deer but that was a moment I'll never forget. I did it all on my own too. I made a lot of mistakes over the years but learned from them and I've become an obsessed hunter. Like others have said, if I couldn't hunt, I wouldn't be alive. Being a father and working limits my time for sure but I will always find the time.

30-Mar-20
I think you can feel it when you hunt if you were born with it. You can easily can adjust your speed to rate that nature moves along whereas those who can’t just never seem to be as successful. You feel in touch with the animals you hunt and somehow you make the same decisions as them as you search them out and eventually you end up in the right place at the right time. But even before that happened, just as any predator you knew that eventually it would all come together because you were born to hunt.

This is the very reason I hunt elk alone. I have partners in camp and we have a great time for sure but when I’m in predatory mode I don’t want to be influenced by another human in any way. That means being distracted and slipping out of the zone.

I often think about the periods in time when men hunted because they had to. From early caveman to native Americans to hunters like Jim Bridger. I think that some of that still naturally lives in some of us.

30-Mar-20
Humans are still natural predators. Example. I know a guy who takes kids to a ranch in Montana every year. These are big city kids and none have ever been exposed to hunting. One of the things they do is build a selfbow while there. After a few days of shooting and learning safety the kids are kind of turned loose to rove a bit. My buddy said you would be amazed that one of the first things they try to do is stalk up on birds, rabbits, even frogs and try to get a shot at them. They don't just go Willy nilly either but make slow deliberate stalks using terrain and cover to get close. That proves to me we are all born hunters. Shawn

30-Mar-20
I ran a guide service for 10 plus years guiding waterfowl hunters. It never ceased to amaze me as to how few of my sports had trouble putting it together. I called it the K kromazone, some people just don't have it.

30-Mar-20
The force is strong in this one... Sorry couldn't help it.

In our DNA.

Bill

31-Mar-20
I was born with it. It's in my DNA to hunt and explore. I picked up my dads .35 rem when I was 4 years old and haven't looked back.

31-Mar-20
Purty sure i was. I'm a Magyar and Native American.

K`

31-Mar-20
I had a desire without any influence at a young age, my kids don't have it despite being around it.

31-Mar-20
I think there is a large segment of the population that is born with it, but doesn't know it. Many people don't get exposed to hunting or have mentor's to show them the way. For many city dwellers, the great outdoors could mean walking the dog at City Park.

My dad was a bird hunter and took me out hunting as a kid. That was the only spark I needed. Hunting big & small game was just a natural progression of my inner desires.

01-Apr-20
Hey... I can quit anytime I want..... just don't happen to want to right now.....

01-Apr-20
I’ve always believed that avid golfers are people who realized they wanted to be outside chasing something but were too influenced by their city living to realize what they should be chasing. Lol

01-Apr-20
born into of family that we hunted and fish and trapped everyday

• Sitka Gear