JohnMC 13-Apr-20
JayZ 13-Apr-20
Quinn @work 13-Apr-20
Rut Nut 13-Apr-20
Bou'bound 13-Apr-20
02-Apr-20
Gorgeous bull

02-Apr-20
The hanging pic does a great job of show how small the hindquarters are on bison compared to other big game animals.

02-Apr-20
That is quite the accusation John

02-Apr-20
Five years worth of burgers there.... huge animal. Congrats to the hunter!!!

02-Apr-20
How would a Bison hunt be conducted for a BOW HUNTER... Walk till you see one in a distance and then stalk. Are you right beside him the whole way. Whats the average shot on one. Looks like a very cool hunt!

02-Apr-20
Thanks for the response via private message Tdvorak. The outfitter you describe JohnMC would not be in business long. Lets not highjack the thread!!

02-Apr-20
Agree, a paragraph like that (by the OP) is not much of a way to encourage business --

02-Apr-20
I want to hear about the hunt, not interested in good or bad guides on this thread. Tell us the good stuff. And congratulations on an awesome bow hunt. Would love to harvest a bison with my bow.

03-Apr-20
How many pounds of processed meat on an average buffalo?

03-Apr-20
Are these ranch hunts or free range hunts?

03-Apr-20
People don’t realize it but walking up on a dead trophy buffalo is like walking up on a pile of 15 or more average size deer. It is unreal.

03-Apr-20
Super cool!!! Is the fat from a buffalo more like a bovine that you can eat or a wild animal that you need to remove?

03-Apr-20
Never heard that before bou....

03-Apr-20
I want one!

TDvorak that pic sure puts their size into perspective!

04-Apr-20
Kind of like a “test drive” but really with all the great info on this site about what you offer and how differentiated you are they should be good even without a test drive

04-Apr-20
Is it easy to draw a bison tag ?Is a license even needed?

04-Apr-20
Looks like a bear had a little snack on that buffalo ham, glad he didn't eat more!!

04-Apr-20
I'm pretty sure those are South Dakota bison

05-Apr-20
Thanks for the Email info Willie

My heck I could spend the next week calling all those references!!!

Makes sense, your advice, to Not do a Combo Species hunt the same week.

Thanks again for the effort,

Robb

05-Apr-20
How do hunters hand the processing time and costs and transportation

08-Apr-20
The following question was asked and not answered as far as I can tell. Are these free range, high fence or ranch hunts? I personally don’t care about ability to enter into a record book or claim the kill for some other record keeping purpose but I, and I’m certain most others, have no desire for a canned, feed lot hunt.

So, that said can you go into some detail regarding how challenging this hunt is for a bowhunter? I’m more interested in a meat bull than a trophy but I have no interest in a canned hunt for either.

08-Apr-20
Check with P&Y for areas that have Free range North American Bison. Last I heard they do not include either North or South Dakota. It’s been implied these hunts are taking place in the Dakotas. Weather it be 2 acres or 200,000 acres high fence , low fence, or no fence for miles, it’s a ranch hunt per P&Y . You will be getting the best accommodations the best food and most importantly the best guide.

My only question is, here it is April, maybe the window to a winter bison hunt has past?

Will hides no longer be prime? Will the world class taxidermist charge more to save a less than perfect cape?

08-Apr-20
on the continuum book-ended by free range hunts on one end and canned hunts on the opposite end there is a lot of room in between when it comes to buffalo.

08-Apr-20
There is, technically speaking, a wild herd within Custer State Park that allows LE hunting. I've not researched it beyond that to know whether bowhunting is permissible on those hunts.

There was a thread on here earlier this year from a BS'r who hunted with a different outfitter in SD and seemed to have had a great time.

I believe Tdvorak had a few things to say on that thread, as well.

08-Apr-20
How many pounds of processed meat on an average buffalo?

08-Apr-20

ki-ke's Link

08-Apr-20
B&C recognizes the Custer herd as free range P&Y does not.

There are areas of park boundary that have large animal limiting fences and there are plenty of park boundaries that have no fences. P&Y does not like the fact the majority of Custer Park Bison are rounded up each year , corralled for a extremely short time as they run them thru for blood testing and cull out some to be sold off. P&Y sees that as to much as a ranch operation rather than free ranging wild animals.

It’s been said that other that the Woods Bison herd in Canada (which some believe is a distinct subspecies) all Bison everywhere else weather labeled ranch or wild lower 48 or Canada have tainted blood and genes of domesticated cattle.

As true Wild Bison was so reduced in population that the few remaining mixed with cattle and the subsequent rebound of North Americsn Bison was all from this small remnant tainted group of Bison .

08-Apr-20
So your "guys" don't age that meat, they just hang for 24 hrs and then cut wrap and freeze ? That's a shame, aging drastically improves the meat quality. We've taken 3 cow bison from the Wyoming state hunts and processed all ourselves, aged for 10-14 days. They are free ranging bison. Have seen many archery hunters take bison on the state hunts, they just ride right up to them on horses, dismount and shoot.

08-Apr-20
The other thread Willy said "I don't advertise here" and now he's "advertising here".

08-Apr-20
I have been involved with Buffalo hunts for quite some time and I would not recommend going this late in the year simply for the fact that the hide would not be prime and not make a good rug or mount. If you're not worried about a rug or mount and just the meat go for it.

08-Apr-20
I had buffalo my bull I weighed it when I bought him he weighed a ton, there not small congrats on the beautiful animal very good meat.

08-Apr-20
Congrats. Any pictures Alex?

08-Apr-20
No bou it was my own private herd that was 20 years back I ended up butchering all the cows and calves and I sold the bull for breeding .I had bought heifers for 85.00 And some for 600.00 the bull I payed 2000.00 a dollar a lb now there a crazy price good for the sellers. Didn’t keep any pics

08-Apr-20
So are these buffalo free range or on high fence ranches? If they are high fence, how many acres are the enclosed area where the buffalo are?

These questions have been asked several times, but I'm not seeing any direct answers.

08-Apr-20
No, that is how he works, talks a lot, but says little. You can ask his 1400 hunters he has guided, if you can get the list from him, good luck with that too.

I’m sure they are on larger ranches, and I doubt they are “high fence”. But they will not qualify for p&y, as has been clearly stated. But he will guide you himself, so you have that going for you....which is nice.

—Jim

08-Apr-20
Bowhunt

I bet jtreeman is right. Probably large ranchs with bison fencing but not high fence.

He is hard to just get a straight answer out of and I have no idea why. Just his way I guess. I would think that method would lose him business but who knows, he says he is full all the time and I have no reason to think that is not true. His marketing plan is just different. But if it works it works.

08-Apr-20
I actually had to read his last post 3 x to figure out he didn’t answer the question...lol

08-Apr-20
"After guiding over 1400 hunters" . Help me with the math here. That may be a new guiness world of records. I've been guiding 14 years, I got about 79 clients under my belt.

08-Apr-20
I’d be really surprised if he gains any business from his posts on Bowsite. I would love to shoot a bison one day and really don’t care if it’s a ranch hunt. BUT I don’t think I meet his minimum requirements as a hunter in order to have the privilege to hunt with him.

08-Apr-20
These are my new favorite threads on Bowsite.

08-Apr-20
Why do I feel like TBM is now hunting bison?!?

08-Apr-20
Glad I made a big buttered popcorn for this one!

08-Apr-20
That mount on the wall looks massive next to that guy. I knew they were big but i didnt realize they were to that degree.

08-Apr-20
Why named Jim River Guide Service. Willie Dvorak guide service would get right to the point.

08-Apr-20
How long is your Bison season and how many of the 160 clients you personally guided last year were Bison Hunters?

08-Apr-20
Huntcell (Doug)

He guides on the James river in South Dakota and the jim river in Alaska. Hence the name

08-Apr-20
I know a lot of outfitters and every one of them Know Exactly how many acres they lease.

Willy is the first outfitter I’ve ever heard that doesn’t know how many acres he’s leasing just that it’s huge. I guess when you’re that good it doesn’t matter how many acres you’re paying for?

08-Apr-20
Quinn

I agree he should know the acreage but with an animal like Bison he is just buying them by the animal and he probably does not have exclusive rights. Other outfitters are bring clients also

That's my bet.

09-Apr-20
RK you are probably correct. :)

Just in case you are a "hunter" who may not want to pull up to the landowner's gate with a check book you may solicit the best guide in the Dakota's who will guide you himself to those pasture'd bison. Unless you meet Willy's minimum requirements to be guided by him then you're out of luck.

If you don't meet Willy's requirements and can't hunt with him I sure hope you could get your side by side close enough to that HUGE bison for a shot. My guess is Willy's processors who are the "the BEST" is also the only one within 50 miles so once you cross the cattle guard from this HUGE ranch you'll be taking the same path as Willy would.

Willy, honestly.............why do you think everyone on bowsite is an idiot and can't see right through your self entitled posts? Every time you post here you only hurt your business with your arrogance. Yes, we know you are THE BEST!

09-Apr-20
4 of the 7 photos posted here are not you. For those 4 photos how many are family members or friends? (yes we already know that every one who hunts with you will be a friend.)

09-Apr-20
Willie Of the 160 clients last year what would you say the breakdown was percentage wise between birds, rodents, and big game. I think that may help the doubters understand how your numbers are very possible and honest.

09-Apr-20
Yes, I'm wondering how many prairie dog and coyote hunting clients he has every year? ;-)

09-Apr-20
Are the prairie dog hunts high fenced?

09-Apr-20
I get it that many of you don't like Willie's business model but please remember his sole business to support himself and his family by being an Outfitter. Booking with him is optional.

The "got ya" questions by some sound like the press at a Trump briefing.

09-Apr-20
I think what a lot of people don't understand is his attitude. To me, it's just very surprising and puzzling coming from someone in the "service industry!"

09-Apr-20
Very well said Charlie. While I don't know this guy, getting real f**king tired of listening to some bashing him with their stupid questions. Some of you cant even read. If you don't like his business, MOVE ALONG.. It is not illegal.

09-Apr-20
Thanks for the laughs guys.....… back to work for a little while.

09-Apr-20
Did anyone else notice the 9.5 mile blood trail comment? Ain’t a trackin spider on earth that could make that journey.

09-Apr-20
Hopefully asking if hunt is conducted free range or in a fenced property is not a gotcha question. Also if it is fenced, the acreage of the property is not a gotcha question. That is a very important question to me.

I did an excellent hunt in South Africa with Ken Moody in June. Every question I asked over two years between booking the hunt and getting dropped back off at the airport was answered. Everything he told me was exactly what happened. I knew what to expect every step of the way. One of the biggest factors for me booking with him was all the years of seeing his answers to questions on bowsite, and customers reviews on here. This was high fenced, i knew it, and I knew what to expect.

I also did a hunt in Texas with a previous sponsor on bowsite for pigs and blackbuck. I knew before I left the answers to the questions above.

I have only done a few guided or trespass fee type of hunts in my life. 99 percent of my hunts are public land deer, elk, or bear hunts, the success/failure of those trips are all up to me

On the rare occasion I am going to pay another party for something to do with a hunting trip I want to know all the details. The success/failure of those hunts are mostly up to the person I am paying for a hunt/access to private land. Specific answers to specific question keep everyone happy!

10-Apr-20
A 160 hunters last year, 365 days last year, you spent 2.28 days per hunter if it’s one on one.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and prove it.

10-Apr-20
if a lot a bird hunters and rodent hunters there could be 5-6 guys in a group so the 160 becomes very possible even with off-days, holidays, airport days, sick days, personal vacation days, etc. It comes down to the mix hunts as to if 160 is possible. You can't take this as 160 single big game hunters.

give the sponsor a break

10-Apr-20
Wow has this become ridiculous. Just shaking my head at this. Apparently being social distanced has created hyper-criticism.

10-Apr-20
Some really have a hard on for willie...

10-Apr-20
So there it is, six posts up. You don't even have to check with any of Slick Willie's many thousands of satisfied clients. Willie's mission statement is clearly defined for the entire Bowsite community right there. It simply says, hunt with me once: "and I'll get a chance to get in your pocket again". Beautiful.

10-Apr-20
I’m curious, anybody else being harassed by Slick Willie via PM? I just received yet another (of many) harassing PM’s from this guy. This time calling me a pervert! Yea, my new Bowsite handle is apparently “BustaPerv” according to ole Slick Willie! Pretty rich considering he is the one claiming he’s trying to get in everyone’s pants!

10-Apr-20
I have scoured his website and for the life of me I can’t find the page where willie says bowsiters have to hunt with him against their will whether they want to or not.

All this animosity so I know it is there somewhere buried in the fine print and I am just missing it but I’ll be damned if I can find it.

If it was a volunteer decision there wouldn’t be all This anger so I know it’s my fault and I am missing it

11-Apr-20
Beauty of a bear!

11-Apr-20
Nice bear! That’s on my bucket list!

11-Apr-20
I don’t know how you could go wrong with a guy who will give you the names of all of his customers and tells you right up front he wants you to be happy enough to do more business with him. That takes balls. More balls than it takes to slam him on this thread. It’s probably why he’s so busy.

11-Apr-20
Busta, he said I had the intellect of a third grader and I was a perv bully. Oh well, won’t be hunting the Willie.

12-Apr-20
Seems pretty clear 99% of the haters posting negative comments have no experience with this outfitter.

12-Apr-20
Hancock...TD could be the greatest outfitter in the world, but I’ve seen enough here to know that I won’t be hunting with him. He can do whatever he wants to promote his biz as he sees fit. Heck, I appreciate him being a Bowsite sponsor. I just don’t agree with his tactics.

12-Apr-20
I also appreciate all the Bowsite sponsors but would never hunt with Willie. His huge ego would make it impossible for me to book a hunt with him & I wonder how he finds a hat that fits? Calling a fellow Bowsiter an "Internet Perv" is just wrong !!!

12-Apr-20
I'm with Kota and Drnaln. I always look to Bowsite sponsors first and have hunted with a bunch. This particular one is not for me but I appreciate his support for this great site.

12-Apr-20
Tdvorak, how many spring Alaska bear hunts did you have booked this year? Also, since they are now all cancelled, did you refund the hunters their deposits or re-book them for next year?

13-Apr-20
Is that Harvey Weinstein on the right??? lol

13-Apr-20

13-Apr-20
The only thing bigger than the animal you will kill with Willie is his ego. LOL great thread!

There are others that can claim to be the best Bison, antelope, bear, whitetail, or varmint guide in all the world. But only Willie can have the honors of claiming to be all of the above! A true jack of all!

13-Apr-20
Correction to post above Wille PM'd me to "Don’t forget mule deer, Coyotes and moose."

13-Apr-20
Tdvorak, I'm not sure how you decided I was an Alaskan guide from my post. Just curious what you were doing with booked hunters given the circumstances.

How many bear hunters do you have booked for the fall? What is your plan if the governor of Alaska doesn't open things up?

13-Apr-20
JohnMC-

You forgot pheasant.

13-Apr-20
AND Prairie Dogs! ;-)

13-Apr-20
Willie do you do any black bear in Alaska

• Sitka Gear