Grey Ghost 06-Apr-20
Treeline 06-Apr-20
Kurt 06-Apr-20
Treeline 06-Apr-20
StickFlicker 06-Apr-20
WV Mountaineer 06-Apr-20
WHOCARES 06-Apr-20
02-Apr-20
Just think of overall animal numbers if essentially out of state hunts don't happen this year. How many non-resident tags that won't get filled, how many animals that won't die. Resident hunting could be outstanding this year due to lack of pressure, but when you think of how many extra animals might make it to 2021...it's never too early to start your planning!!!

02-Apr-20
If Manitoba and Ontario are on lockdown.. this spring, will be tough to do for residents also this spring!!

02-Apr-20
So, as tens of thousands of people are about to die, you are looking at the bright side????

Do what you want, but you may want to delete your post.

02-Apr-20
LKH has a point, BUT the bright side will keep some sane during this. He's just thinking outloud!!

02-Apr-20
Some of us come on Bowsite to GET AWAY from the doom and gloom of daily life these days LKH. So you may want to delete YOUR post. ;-)

02-Apr-20
Not to be insensitive LKH but daily thousands die across the globe without corona. If all we ever did was sit around and pontificate about death what’s the point of living?

02-Apr-20
We as hunters should understand more than most that its natural for there to mass die offs due to overpopulation. Because we are at the top of the food chain we feel a little superior and are a little unprepared when its our turn for a die off. It's not like this is our first pandemic so whining about or being overly sensitive does no one any good. It sucks yes but just like every winter the strong and young survive until spring and we remember those we lost. I for one will pray we lose as few as possible in the world and look forward to being out in the field when its feasible. God bless and stay healthy.

02-Apr-20
I didn't see Apauls post as insensitive. He was talking about closing of seasons and possible affects game populations not people dying. I get what he is talking about.

02-Apr-20
If we don’t get to hunt in 2020 some of us might not make it to 2021!!!!!

02-Apr-20
Willyhill will be here shortly to get you all straightened out.

02-Apr-20

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Shame bringing up something potentially positive in dark times.

02-Apr-20
It would obviously be a benefit to the animals as more would survive for the following year. It would be devastating for local businesses that are really struggling now. Out of state hunters bring in millions of dollars to local and small business and hunting season is a big part of there yearly income.

02-Apr-20
I see nothing wrong with looking forward to a bright future. Optimism is needed now more than ever.

02-Apr-20
Adam, good post! Like to always look on the positive side of the situation myself! Makes it much easier to be a bowhunter.

02-Apr-20
Statistically NR have higher success rates, some units could see some great carryover into next year depending on the weather. And tag allocations could see a bump as well to keep the expanding herds in check. May be a tad early to get giddy about the potential trophy potential due to age class increase carrying over to next year.

Hmmm on the other hand if this Wuhan virus is similar to the Spanish flu of the past century, back then the spring outbreak was a mild precursor to the horrific numbers of deaths, due to the fall resurgence.

I hope not better my number comes up in the draw computer than some flu statistics .

02-Apr-20
I feel sorry for people that can’t find it within themselves to find hope in bad times. Must be a very dark life to live when your so fully focused on only negative aspects of every situation.

02-Apr-20
Hunting is cancelled forever and ever due to the Rona virus. Sorry.

Haha just kidding. Very strange times. I can only hope things won’t get stranger but they might. Cheers to a better 2021 I guess

02-Apr-20
I’m with you Apauls.....once this blows over 2021 should be a great year to be bow hunting ....a light at the end of the tunnel.

02-Apr-20
I have been thinking similarly.

02-Apr-20
Part of living a full and enjoyable life is the ability to make future plans and have something to look forward to.

Here is to an epic 2021 season. Cheers

02-Apr-20
LKH- I hear your message and agree these are sobering times to say the least.

I have always been a dreamer especially when it comes to hunting and times outdoors. So I also get the idea of thinking how this will all pan out in the future including the hunting future.

My best to all.

02-Apr-20
I haven't given up on a 2020 fall season yet!

02-Apr-20
I agree with the op..... I know for a fact that when we all get to go back to the woods, it will be the best hunt we've ever had! Here's looking to 2021!

02-Apr-20
I'm with you midwest. I'm looking at Google maps plotting a way to get out west using secondary roads and were will be the best place to steal a set of local license plates.

02-Apr-20
I vote to ban APauls......and Beav, for that matter!

Who’s with me??!!

02-Apr-20
Colorado license plates [vintage] can be purchased online.

Dont wait - buy yours today!

02-Apr-20
I second that Troy. Banned for life !!

02-Apr-20
In these times it's understandable for some people to be sensitive.

In these times it's also understandable for some people to look ahead to better days.

What APaul posted may sound somewhat cold to some... but it is logical.

02-Apr-20
I was just thinking for a couple hours, HUNT. Let’s not get carried away!

02-Apr-20
I would also like to be banished to wherever Beav and APauls go, sounds like a good time! :-)

02-Apr-20
Death is unavoidable. At this point in my life I realize things I may do I will not see the benefit of, but someone will. I look ahead to next year and things being better. I coach one of the top softball programs in our state and we feel we could win it all this year. But all the years of hard work are not going to end the way we wish. I am already planning for next year. We have to look ahead. APauls is fine with his post. We all die, that's a fact.

02-Apr-20
If this country is still shut down in September, I doubt many will be able to afford any out of state hunts in 2021!

02-Apr-20
Nothing wrong with optimism and hope!

Having said that...the "title" of this thread is inappropriate considering the current events. We don't the world to think we're celebrating this virus.

02-Apr-20
Lol, just checked back in and didn't expect this to go this direction but that's OK. I am glad for the perspective most of you have. Like myself, we look at the controllables in life and the uncontrollables and make the most of what we can control. I am but a meager businessman and although my life is being absolutely hammered in business and my heart bleeds for the people I am incapable of employing at the moment, I do realize that I can not impact or control this virus, or more applicably the result of the way society deals with this virus. Therefore, it is out of my hands. What I can do, is think about the aftermath, and even the positives that come out of it. There is always a silver lining if you look hard enough, and even with coronavirus a man doesn't have to look too far. Animal populations, reduced emissions, people slowing down and appreciating life for a moment, there are many many positives that come from even as unfortunate a situation as this. Hunting in 2021 is another!

I'm also glad most of you don't think like HUNT and might let me back on in a few days ;) Fricken t-roy going and causing a disturbance as usual, I kind of expected that from Ambush my Canadian brother, but ouch Troy that really hurts. If you ban me here HUNT, I will send you spam straight to your cellular device for the period of the ban. Hope every one of you stay healthy.

Now I need to go check back on Beav's awesome turkey thread that I had to get away from earlier in the day.

If anyone thinks I am celebrating the virus I was not. I don't think anyone was. If there was confusion about that I'll just state that right now. Like many have said, just choosing to search for a positive and reflecting on that.

02-Apr-20
If you commented on Pat's "deer drive" thread then you are banned! :)

02-Apr-20
I'm on the "bright side" side.

02-Apr-20
APauls stay positive it’s all good!

02-Apr-20
Next level thinkers like APauls (and maybe his brother too while we are at it) should be considered for banishment. We don't need people looking at the positive sides of things around here. BTW cnelk, are Wyo. and Utah plates available on the internet as I could use a set of each of those. APauls, on the serious side I get you and share your concerns regarding these troubling times, appreciate all that are serving, and hope the best for all that are affected. I think you know that I am being facetious and not serious about the banishment as you are one of the assets on Bowsite......Bob

02-Apr-20
I'll trade folks an Iowa set of plates for western states plates.

02-Apr-20
I posted something positive on my FB feed regarding a better status on the current wuhan outbreaks in NC and SC. One of my best friends was the first to slam me about it. I guess doom and gloom is the way of today. I am tired of seeing it every single day. Any positives are much better. I guess he wasnt as good a friend as i had thought.

02-Apr-20
I have been talking to many on the phone this morning and afternoon. Everyone is doom and gloom here. I always look to the bright side of things.... keeps a person upbeat during a lock down. While many are in the dulldrums, I have been thinking of a plan A, plan B, plan C and a plan D. Plan D is move to the mountains of North Carolina and become a Hillbilly till its all over.

Our little Ontario town now has the China Virus. Community spread they assume as one person never left home, older.

02-Apr-20
Been thinking the same thing!

02-Apr-20
I'm serious to the point of being insufferable. Y'all have seen that by now. But, if my spin around this rock has taught me anything, it's that it will all work out for our benefit. Good post APauls.

02-Apr-20
Agree with Apauls and everybody else that supported his posts. It's getting bad but it would be a bad idea to shit down all future planning and dreams because of the virus.

02-Apr-20
If you don't look forward to the future and goals, what do you have...

02-Apr-20
2021? What?! I thought the world was ending in the next few months according to some other threads here. This is good news!!

02-Apr-20
& lmfao LKH!

02-Apr-20
& lmfao LKH!

02-Apr-20
I have been trying to post on here for two hours! I think I may have been temporarily banned for some reason. I’m toasting a beer to you right now APauls and everyone else on here to better times ahead!

02-Apr-20
Yup, APauls, nice to see you are a "glass half full" kind of guy --- bottoms up to ya!

02-Apr-20

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
"I haven't given up on a 2020 fall season yet!"

Oh, I'll be hunting no matter what. Even if I have to unzip the body bag from the inside.

02-Apr-20
I also agree with the positive people! What’s the point of living if you can’t look forward to something better?

02-Apr-20
For know I’m way to busy building a house for my daughter, I worry about hunting when time comes, but I still make time to come see what’s happening on bowsite

02-Apr-20
I see more a situation where a lot of people have too much time on their hands with the govt paying them not to work...what the F would you do?? I'm going hunting. And so are 10 million other Tom, Dick, and Harries with too much time on their hands.

02-Apr-20
Yes, that is really great for you perhaps. But not for outfitters, guides, hotel and restaurant workers and owners and others who rely on tourism.

03-Apr-20
I can't imagine that any of the fall hunting seasons will be shut down. This panic over the virus will pass, maybe it's a month or two away yet. However, even if it didn't pass, at some point people have to get on with life. Coronavirus will probably be around for ever, just like the flu is. People will adapt and life will move on, including hunting seasons.

03-Apr-20
Growing up, we were so poor that we went to Kentucky Fried Chicken to lick other people's fingers!

Like Apauls, (ya hoser,eh) my Dad said "..just look to the future to get your mind off your present miseries."

03-Apr-20
I've been thinking the same thing as Apauls and have been for a while, we just had a talk about it at work.

03-Apr-20
If I cant travel to Ohio in November because these restrictions are still in place then this country/world has many bigger problems than not being able to hunt. We wont have a country left. If the economy isnt destroyed enough, another 7 months of it will crush it completely. You wont have to worry about hunting because there will be no sporting good stores or any business left.

I understand your post though! It would be great to see certain areas that get hammered with NR pressure has a year off! It could actually change the way people hunt if the following year they saw what positive impacts it had on their area.

03-Apr-20
For 2021, I hope everyone's health is epic. I hope our economies can be described as epic next year. The hunting may or may not be any different, but it would be epic to have seasons without covid-19 restrictions.

03-Apr-20
Will hunt either way. I gotta eat in 2020 just like in 2021.

HH~

03-Apr-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Gotta get the groceries.

03-Apr-20
I've learned over the last three weeks not to post anything positive or hopeful on Social Media regarding the current "doomsday" .

03-Apr-20

svrelk's embedded Photo
"MARSHMALLOW "
svrelk's embedded Photo
"MARSHMALLOW "
Doing my best to stay positive. We are continuing to prepare for our annual Spring Bear camp in neighboring idaho. Couldn't help but think that with many from the area not doing it this year.... that our baits just might get hit harder than ever before... Until I see National Guard forming roadblocks, I'm sticking with my glass is half full....... we will survive this...

03-Apr-20
I just saw that Utah is reducing deer tags by around 9000. I love hunting in Utah. Because they know how to manage game(Sort of). Nature has a way of managing things as well. We only need to worry about the things we can control, how we act, what we say and how we treat people. If I cant hunt somewhere this year because of this virus, I will be very disappointed, but I will keep it to myself( I will tell the bowsite crowd cuz u guys understand).

03-Apr-20
Having just getting off 3 weeks of quarantine yeah I caught the virus. I figured if I bought the farm it's just the circle of life happening. But the whole time just kept thinking about late summer 3D season and fishing along with fall hunting. Call me an optimist :) So not that it matters in the grand scheme of life Apauls is hardly out of line.

03-Apr-20
I guess it depends on perspective. I don't fault someone for thinking about what could be a big positive in the future. We all have different perspectives though. If I was in NYC and my mom or dad was dying from the virus, I probably wouldn't be thinking about hunting or the future, I'd be too caught up in the present to do that. I wouldn't however expect everyone else's world to also stop just because mine had. If someone dared to be optimistic I also wouldn't try to quickly shame them into feeling my pain.

Some people need to build a bridge and get over themselves. Feelings on the sleeve and wanting to rain on everyone around them. If what APauls said did occur, no matter what was presently going on in my life, I know I would definitely want to be out west in 2021.

No issues with the OP or the post - it's a breath of fresh, clean, covid-free air.

--Mitch

03-Apr-20
Love your optimism APauls. I pray we can. I fear life as we were accustomed to - won't be the same a year from now. We do not know what businesses will survive. We do not know what the economy will look like. We do not know if travel will be free and safe - we don't know a damn thing about this virus/germ warfare. As Americans's we like to fix things, solve problems, kick ass, and WIN. I fear we just do not know enough about this virus to predict any form of "closure" being there a year from now. We all want to leave spring, heading into summer with life completely back to normal. I don't think the virus will let us.

03-Apr-20
Economics of it aside, whether hunting is canceled this fall or not (doubt it will, makes no sense for residents), I suspect a drop in non-residents. My SUSPICION is outfitters will be miniamlly effected, assuming travel is freed up. But DIY might be reduced. that will just make the units less crowded.

Don't most tags go to residents anyway? I think WY is a 75-25 split.

03-Apr-20
For tens of thousands of people life will never be the same again, let alone next year. people where I live are losing loved ones left and right in some cases sevaral members of the same family passing away. I am a DIY guy and have planned for Iowa and Nebraska this year having a month to hunt out there, Now I may not even apply, I have been exposed to Covid-19 multiple times in just the last few days at my work. I am now once again self quarantined. I never and I mean never have I thought I would say hunting right now does not matter, NEVER and I have had some real hard times in my life but hunting has always been the thing to get me through stuff. Now it pales into comparison what I am seeing here in NY right now!! Everyone stay safe and Please use your head to stop the spread!! Shawn

03-Apr-20
By the way I should of posted I 100% agree with Adam!! Nothing wrong with having a great outlook, that is actually what gets us through these times!! ITS CALLED "HOPE"!!! Shawn

03-Apr-20
LKH I never understood people who got offended by others talking about something else during “times like this”. Since you’re one of those people can you elaborate or provide direction?

03-Apr-20
I only pray that six months from now we can look back at this thread and chuckle. I LOVE positive thinking but,...

I fear that six months from now, we could all be ashamed of this thread. .

Put this subject in perspective...How many of you would post the title and first post of this thread in a Facebook post? This would go viral (no pun intended) and have a Cecil the lion type reaction.

03-Apr-20

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Svrelk-Awesome, you have traveled into the future. That Bear pic.,May 2020. Tell us more (joking). I'm old & concerned. Follow the rules they ask, use common sense & think of your loved ones & others. THAT is what is the most important for any sane person. I love bowhunting/archery more than most as I say I started in 1956 when I joined a club & bought my 1st bow. I'm 78 & still look forward to an out of state or two bowhunt most years & the bigger Archery events. I use them "now" to renew friendships with fellow bowhunters/archers from other states & my kids & G-kids that bowhunt. My 2020 season is on hold & God willing, 2021 will just be a more "special" time when we share that campfire. I have been through good times & chit up to my eyeballs personally & with loved ones. I'm still here as I truly believe the man upstairs has helped me along the way as I have always kept the faith he would. My biggest fear is my loved one's & immediate family. Hunting will be there when it's safe is my guess. This is an old saying that is in my head when I enter those hard, difficult & sometimes dark times. I think all good people have this inside them. Apauls, your right, 2021 may bring those days afield better in numbers & quality. Nothing wrong with that train of thought. None of us want anything at the expense of someone's life except maybe the Chinese & Iranians.

03-Apr-20
"I fear that six months from now, we could all be ashamed of this thread. .

Put this subject in perspective...How many of you would post the title and first post of this thread in a Facebook post? This would go viral (no pun intended) and have a Cecil the lion type reaction. "

Why would anyone be ashamed to post their hopeful thoughts about a silver lining. Original post was simply about less non resident hunters because of travel restrictions.

Even in sad times, it is OK to be happy about some things. Even if in 6 months things have gotten far worse, I'd like to think that I'll be thinking back and smiling about that happy thought some of us allowed ourselves to have.

03-Apr-20

DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo

03-Apr-20
1 Peter 4:12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.

Most of us if not all of us were somewhat shocked to see something like this happen, but we shouldn't be.

It is sobering to watch the reports of the suffering and dying. Just like when my dad passed away, I refuse to remember him as being sick. I am going to remember the good times. I didn't forget about him being sick, but that is not what I want in my memory.

The US will get through this, we always do and always will.

I appreciate the positive conversation because I plan on hunting this fall.

03-Apr-20
At some point soon this country is going have to make a decision as to how many lives saved is worth going through another great depression.

03-Apr-20
THe Colorado Parks and Wildlife, just reported in spite of rumors, Colorado's hunting seasons will take place for residents and non residents.

03-Apr-20
The song "It is well with my soul" was written by a man names Horatio Stafford who was a successful Chicago lawyer with a wife and five children. After losing a son to pneumonia and going through harsh business struggles he lost his four daughters when a ship went down and only his wife survived. One his way to meat her, he travelled over the spot where the ship went down and wrote that hymn.

While what we go through today (in my opinion) is nowhere near as tragic as this true story, I am so impressed by a man like Horatio being able to see the bright side in such a tragic situation. If I ever look back at a time in my life where things were stormy and see that I was able to see the silver lining at that time I really don't think I'll ever be ashamed about it. In fact it is exactly examples like this and may others that influence me to think the way I do. I know not everyone will agree, and you don't have to. But I don't think I will change either. I also find it a much more enjoyable way to live. I also don't think it detracts anything from those that are going through suffering.

04-Apr-20
Man, oh, man!

If you can’t tell the difference between “this is a great thing” and “won’t it be grand when this is all over”.... May as well pack it in. That’s like telling combat troops that they shouldn’t have any hopes or dreams for themselves when they get back to the world...

No Suffering is ever a Good Thing; none of it is authored by God. But it’s always lessened by the ability to take something positive out of it.

My Grandma was hell on computer data, because she was born in ‘99 (as was my other Grandma, born in ‘95, for that matter). Their generation lived through the Flu epidemic, two world wars, raised their kids during the Depression, then Korea and Vietnam. Both of them lost their husbands early; one at 56 and one at 63. And my little Norwegian granny always said “Jah, well, it always works out for the best.”

And that attitude saw her through to the age of 102.

Just sayin’....

Stay healthy, fellas.

04-Apr-20
Be even better if we're told NOBODY is going hunting this year. I really love the whole idea of closing millions of acres of land and water in the name of social distancing.

04-Apr-20
“ Put this subject in perspective...How many of you would post the title and first post of this thread in a Facebook post?”

Another good reason that I’m not on Facebook. And I agree with those that look at it that we have to have hope. There’s enough doom and gloom out there.

04-Apr-20
I hope all the doom and gloomers don't apply for out of state tags this year

05-Apr-20
Got a couple of good laffs. In these deadly serious times, humor is a necessity. Thanks for the positive posts all.

06-Apr-20
I’ve not written off the 2020 fall season yet.

06-Apr-20
My plans have been changed but I still have in-State turkey, 2 family trips, a big trad shoot in June, a summer full of camping, working on a friends cabin, fishing and then a normal fall of hunting. Will it all happen? No idea but it's on the list until it gets torn off by circumstances.

06-Apr-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I got my mobile quarantine unit ready to roll, yesterday.

Matt

06-Apr-20
Man!

As I get rolling on another birthday and my first day off for “company convenience”, I just can not help but think 2020 is going to be a great year even with all the turmoil!

The news about this pandemic is starting to turn the corner! We will have a cure for the virus soon and the economy will get back on track as well.

Plus, I’m putting in my applications for Colorado today with all the birthday ju-ju good luck so I am sure I will pull in a moose tag and sheep tag this year!

Heck, I’ll probably go ahead and apply for Nevada and as many other states as will let me today! With all my points and a little B-Day luck, I’m hoping to have multiple hunts-of-a-lifetime this year!

Good luck to everyone this application season and the coming fall hunting seasons!

06-Apr-20
Have a great birthday brother! And good luck on your tags.

06-Apr-20
Good luck and happy birthday Tavis! Hope you do get that moose and sheep tag this year! Uh, you forgot to tell us how old you are so we can celebrate properly for you!

06-Apr-20
Cutting the app deadline down to the wire, Treeline. ;-)

Good luck, brother, I'm optimistic, too. And happy birthday!!

Matt

06-Apr-20
53 Whocares!

Already planning how to take off three months for hunting this year...

Looking forward to 2021 for the few tags I don’t draw in ‘20 as well!

Good luck in the draws, guys and gals!

06-Apr-20
Happy Birthday Tavis! Draw that Bighorn tag!

06-Apr-20
Thanks, Kurt!

Would not mind having 2 or 3 sheep tags along with a couple of moose tags and another goat tag thrown in for good measure! ;-)

Got enough points across the western states that something will break loose!

When it rains, it pours! Bring that storm!

Have good rain gear, will travel ;-)

06-Apr-20
I have no problem at all with a person making an observation of a likely side effect of a bad situation and stating a possible positive for the future. Stay strong Apauls!

06-Apr-20
People live and die everyday in this country. We have all experienced it first hand before. We will all experience it in body soon enough. But, based on what seems to be the mortality rate, for 99% of us here, it isn't going to be this virus. Things are bad for certain areas and for certain people but, if we don't find a median area that allows us to get back to work as a country, the final death count of this virus is going to pale to those that perish from poor economic conditions.

Back on topic, I'm going to go hunting if I am still alive. Which I very much plan on being. And, I suspect that the woods will be far more peaceful.

06-Apr-20
Well here's a 73 having a vodka toast to a 53! Maybe I'll have a couple as I dont think I have anywhere to go tonight!! Damn, when I was 53 I was unstoppable! At least that's the way I remember it. Put in for my deer tag yesterday Course that's as a non resident that gets highly discriminated against. Always do otc elk as I just plain want to hunt them every year . Good luck to all you guys with your tags. We will be in the mountains hunting this Fall.

• Sitka Gear