stagetek 15-Apr-20
deserthunter 17-Apr-20
Grey Ghost 17-Apr-20
Paul@thefort 17-Apr-20
RJ Hunt 17-Apr-20
09-Apr-20

stagetek's embedded Photo
stagetek's embedded Photo
I found my Dads old Western knife he used for many years hunting and fishing. Is there anyway this can be restored ?

09-Apr-20
That's really cool, and a big reason I switched from the replaceable blade plastic knives.

I wish I knew how to help you. Good luck with the project!

09-Apr-20
Post this over on the leatherwall. You will find someone there.

09-Apr-20
Contact Knifeguy in the classified section (recurves)

09-Apr-20
Flitz polish will clean the blade, guard, and butt right up. If that's a leather stacked handle, that's a little trickier. Perhaps some light sanding, then leather conditioner. Or re-stack the handle, but that's pretty involved.

Matt

09-Apr-20
If that’s rust on the blade, I have used a wire wheel to remove the rust. The polish and sharpen.

09-Apr-20

10-Apr-20
I just restored a old Marbles knife that was in pretty bad shape. Used wet and dry sandpaper all the way up to 1500 grit. Used a backer behind the sandpaper a small piece of wood then a thick piece of leather. took a lot of elbow grease. Then used Fritz polish. On the leather stacked grip I saturated it with neats foot oil several times.

10-Apr-20

Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
This is my first hunting knife - 1976. I have Flitzed mine a few times. Your Dad's looks older, no leather on mine. It says - Western USA 628 - on the blade. Thanks for the smile.

10-Apr-20
The numbers on mine are 126. There are more on the other side, but I can't make them out.

14-Apr-20
I would keep away from power tools unless you really know what you are doing. A knife flying off a wheel at high speed has killed makers. That said I would start with some simple sanding by hand. Use a block, go one direction til clean. Go up a grit go different direction till all the other grit marks gone. Up to satin finish around 1000-1500 grit. On the leather sand down a little with 220 or so see how bad shape is in and go from there. Just go slow and take time and proceed with care. Is dads knife, important item in my opinion. I make knives and am willing to help. PM me if have questions.

14-Apr-20

Stoneman's embedded Photo
Stoneman's embedded Photo
My brother gave me this Western when I was 9 or 10. Skinned a lot of muskrats and rabbits before it graduated to deer and elk. Sharpened so many times the blade is getting worn.

15-Apr-20
Stoneman, I'd be very happy to get mine to look like that. Just sent mine to knifeguy. I'll post pic's when it comes back.

17-Apr-20
I am in the minority here. I wouldn't touch it. I have my grandfathers knife and left it in the condition that he left it. Every mark is a piece of his road map and memories.

17-Apr-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Here's my Father's old Buck Pathfinder. He liked to sharpen knives. ;-)

Matt

17-Apr-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
You guys know how to tug on the old heart strings. Dad's Old Timer Schrade knife. Below, Buck knife very similar to Matt's. my best, Paul

17-Apr-20

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
Ok. I will have to throw in my best blade. An old Kabar folder my Grandpa gave me 35 years ago. I can’t touch it either. Yes. Tugging on heart strings here.

• Sitka Gear