Ziek 13-Apr-20
lawdy 13-Apr-20
Rookie 13-Apr-20
midwest 15-Apr-20
Bou'bound 16-Apr-20
ScumFrog 16-Apr-20
newfi1946moose 16-Apr-20
10-Apr-20
I heard this morning that Trump is considering opening the economy up May 1st. Does that mean the border too? Just interested in you fellow bear hunters opinions as I know we're all on pins and needles hoping we can get there this spring yet.

10-Apr-20
Wishful thinking. I don’t think Trump mentioned essential bear hunting.

10-Apr-20
Hard to say that things will change much by then. Reading the Montreal/Ottawa papers this morning; Quebec is a mess with the virus centered in Montreal but the rest of the province has very restricted travel in/out of various rural areas. Our hunt is in a NW provincial park and not expecting to be allowed to gather in those parks until well after it has died off. Ontario seems a bit better off. At this point, my group feels it unwise to expect our hunt this year (in QC) given that travel to the camp places one far from any quality health care were one to contract the virus. Further, I have a 1600 mile trip to just get back to upstate NY and that county now has the most rapidly increasing no. of new cases. Hoping our outfitter will push our hunts to 2021.

10-Apr-20
You could very well be correct on the wishful thinking, but I can't imagine him keeping this economy shutdown much longer. I think the damage from that will surpass the damage from the virus itself by a considerable ways.

10-Apr-20

Russell's Link
Suggest using this link to receive updates.

Next reevaluation of the Canadian/US border closer is scheduled to occur on 20 April.

10-Apr-20
what difference does it make if you are required to quarantine for 14 days after entering and 14 days after getting back. that one week vacation just turned into 5.

10-Apr-20
Bou can’t you quarantine in a ground blind?

10-Apr-20
Canadian federal and provincial governments are warning Canadians that current situation not likely to change until mid-summer at the earliest. Spring seasons will not happen and I have serious concerns that Fall seasons are also in jeopardy.

10-Apr-20
Spring I doubt, Fall season is a looooong time away.... Canada can't afford to shut down for long. Canada is broke now.

10-Apr-20
Mule it is dependent on what the authority define quarantine as. Being in a diy solo camp would certainly work. Not sure how many bear hunts are one man jobs.

10-Apr-20
Just watched the PM on TV telling Canadians that social distancing measures will have to be in effect until a vaccine is developed. If that is a year or more away tourism is pooched until that happens. Hate being the doom and gloom guy but looking at it realistically I don’t expect to be hosting clients this year. Hope I am wrong but my gut feeling says 2020 is a write-off and it is usually accurate.

10-Apr-20
The majority of those people are outta work thru no fault of their own and lucky for them they live in Canada or USA where they can get help if needed. The ones that don’t need it but take it anyway because it is available should be ashamed of themselves and face prosecution.

10-Apr-20
I’m usually a worrier he has given me a peace about this whole situation. . Good luck everyone hope u get to chase some bear this year.

10-Apr-20
open open open I need a road trip

13-Apr-20
whatever happened to personal responsibility? If ur sick, don't go. If you haven't self quarantined, don't go. Have border do a quick temp scan at the border and If you are hot, you'll get turned around AND be fined.

13-Apr-20
If only it was that simple. A person can be asymptomatic and spread it, in fact most of the community spread is happening from asymptomatic individuals who may or may not show symptoms at a latter time. Is shooting a bear eating stale donuts out of rusty can really worth risking spreading this to remote areas that aren't yet effected.

13-Apr-20
"opening" is not likely to be a flip of a switch and everything is open. It will most likely be regional and small steps. Things like pro sports, concerts, conferences with LOTS of people, are likely to come last.

small things like restaraunts, etc. will come first and likely not nation wide, but in pockets where there's little infection anyway.

13-Apr-20
No covid yet on the Great Northern Pen in Newfy according to our friends up there.

13-Apr-20
Ontario just extended the state of emergency for another 28 days. About mid May.

13-Apr-20
Sorry looks like there are cases in all for Newfoundland/ Labrador health regions.

In NL total number of COVID-19 cases in the province to 242. Of those cases, 227 are in the Eastern Health region. There are eight cases in the Central Health region, one case in the Western Health region and six in the Labrador-Grenfell Health region.

13-Apr-20

RK's embedded Photo
RK's embedded Photo
If this works here are the Canadian numbers as of today

13-Apr-20
"whatever happened to personal responsibility?"

And therein lies the problem. You need that AND a healthy dose of education. Even if you were totally immune and couldn't become infected, you could still spread it! You could pick it up on your hands, clothes and equipment and transfer it to another person, or his clothes or equipment, and not even directly. You could handle/touch something that is infected, then something that is not, but now is from your touch, and someone else comes along and gets it.

For those that think we are all going to get it so might as well get it over with, you aren't listening. The hope is that we all don't get it at the same time and overwhelm the medical system. I for one want to be the last guy to get it. If I stay healthy longer, maybe by the time I do get it they'll have better treatments and fewer patients to deal with.

Then there is the risk of injury while traveling not related to the virus. Do you really want a trip to a small town emergency room far from home that is probably already overwhelmed with the virus?

Some of you need to try thinking of the bigger picture. But hey, I'm all for a program where you can volunteer to be infected and then locked up for a few weeks without medical aid with other's who just want to get it over with. Survival of the fittest, and all that.

13-Apr-20
Our place in Newfy is about 35 miles North of Port Saunders. I wonder where that case of Covid is.

13-Apr-20
I am with Rob on this. It’s time to face the facts there will be no spring bear season this year. The border is not going to be open to people to vacation and hunt. Be safe everyone!!!

15-Apr-20
May 14th is what I read.

16-Apr-20
The border thing will get very interesting and is multifaceted.

First, what is allowed

Second, what are the conditions associated with crossing and staying

Third, what are people comfortable with regardless of what is allowed

Fourth, what new rule will exist for outfitters to comply with that may or may not make the whole venture viable to even offer.

The first two are inevitable in that there will be a finite point where crossing is allowed and the rules are clear. Don't know when or what, but there will we a clear when and what.

The third, what are people comfortable doing is a total wildcard. People will act very differently about what the could care less about and what they are nervous about and what they are petrified about. something as simple as what if I have a fever on the way back to customs to cross back into the US. Can I even get home?

This thing won't be like a light switch being flipped. It is going to be a slow crawl in the dark for many for quite some time.

16-Apr-20
The scene in Michigan today is troublesome and why the border won't open anytime soon.

16-Apr-20
Bou...very good points. Montreal paper is reporting increasing numbers of deaths and that the PM has no interest in opening up the border to non-essential travel by May 1st. Ontario has increasing problems and the paper further noted Canada would probably not consider relaxing restrictions until into this summer. It is rapidly spreading here in OK and people seem indifferent to social distancing. Some of my friends from Ontario have just left FL and have been told that they will be met by the RCMP when crossing over into Windsor. Info taken and told must do 14 days and to expect unannounced checks.

• Sitka Gear