TEmbry 16-Apr-20
swampokie 17-Apr-20
Quinn @work 17-Apr-20
swampokie 17-Apr-20
swampokie 17-Apr-20
WI Shedhead 17-Apr-20
BULELK1 17-Apr-20
15-Apr-20
It goes without saying that if you don't apply for any hunts, that it's not going to, but if you usually apply for out-of-state hunts, is COVID changing your strategy at all?

Maybe you're out of work or might be and are thinking that you won't be able to afford an out of state hunt come August-December.

Or maybe you're worried about going on the road and catching COVID?

Some others might be financially secure and feel they've got better odds of drawing which might make one put in more applications or maybe less, thinking they might end up with too many tags.

Maybe some people just don't know what's next so they're going just points, or visa versa, etc.

Lastly, some of the draws came and went while China was hiding the truth about the virus so those are already water under the bridge, but that's also a consideration.

What are you all doing?

15-Apr-20
Personally, I'm not changing much. I apply all over from Maine to Alaska to New Mexico and am still applying for my usual tags.

15-Apr-20
No change for me.

15-Apr-20
No change, in across the board, I cant draw crap anyway

15-Apr-20
I’m gonna use my stimulus check to bow hunt more. I’m gonna burn it all up in the Wyoming deer and antelope draw

15-Apr-20
I’m going at it full bore for the hard to draw tags in multiple states.

After over 20 years of playing the game of multi-state applications, the craziness of increasing applicants and increasing costs for applying, I am not going for points only for any of the big 3.

I will also apply for a few long odds-high quality deer and elk hunts because there is a lot higher probability of drawing at least one of those somewhere than sheep, goat or moose.

I have already paid for a blacktail hunt to finish off my deer species.

Would love to pull at least one sheep tag somewhere this year.

Have killed a Shiras and goat so will be focused on top end hunts only there.

No real difference from previous years.

15-Apr-20
I'm hoping to be in-between jobs, or just starting a new one, by then so we will see how this year goes.

15-Apr-20
Still pursuing my life. Putting in go every license I normally do. Plus Wyoming is a good place. Hopefully things will moderate.

15-Apr-20
No change.

15-Apr-20
Have my bear, elk, deer, cat, wolf tags in hand.

K

15-Apr-20
I wrote off New Mexico and just stuck to my home state.

15-Apr-20
No, zero change. May actually apply for a couple more.

15-Apr-20
Why in the world is everyone so desperately trying to figure out who all is hunting this fall. I swear this is the twentieth thread I have seen on hunting forums the last month. Am I missing something here?

15-Apr-20
In all of this mess, the last thing I'm concerned about it catching covid. I worry about states closing their borders to NR this fall and the economic fallout due to the overreaction to Coronavirus. I'm sure I'll draw my Colorado elk tag and I'm applying for everything else I usually do.

15-Apr-20
Why can't people be curious about what other people are going to be doing? Can you read minds? I can't...

15-Apr-20
Nope

15-Apr-20
No change for out of state apps for me but I’m waiting to apply in my home state. I’ve got an AK fishing trip booked in August and if it’s canceled it’ll free up August and September for archery mule deer and elk. I’ve got a bunch of points for both so a high quality tag for at least one species is more likely than not. I might just apply for it all and return the tags of the fishing trip isn’t canceled by Covid.

15-Apr-20
No change here

15-Apr-20
Applying everywhere as normal. Alaska stopped my spring bear hunt, but hopefully fall and winter hunts everywhere else will be good to go.

15-Apr-20
Just points for me again this year. But, that's all I have done for the last several years. Starting fall of 2021, I should have a couple states worth of points that allow for better then OTC elk hunting coming. I'd love to put decent units in Montana and Wyoming in back to back years. And, by then I should have enough deer points in CO to get a decent chance at drawing a Mulie bow tag in the unit I elk hunt. In which, I intend to spend all bow season in CO killing a Mule deer, a bear, and an elk. Goodness, I may never come home if I stay out west that long.

All of this is dependent on Lord Willing of course.

15-Apr-20
I applied for less out of state hunts this year. I felt it was in mine and my family's best interest to not have as much money tied up in apps as usual with recent uncertainties. I still applied in NM and WY elk but left out ID and just bought points in CO. I have a wife and two small kids that come before my hunting. As long as I'm aloud to travel I'll be hunting somewhere out west this year.

15-Apr-20
Not changing much for myself, Ike. Still have a job, building a house and feel extremely blessed to be doing both. Just waiting on those draw results!

15-Apr-20
No change.

15-Apr-20
No changes for me except I had to postpone my Alaska brown bear hunt until next year . Still putting in fall applications

15-Apr-20
Got lucky and drew Arizona right out of the gate this year....that sure changed my application strategy;)

If i check out tomorrow from Covid 19......I have had a good run ;)

15-Apr-20
Most of my apps were in by mid March. So no it’s not changing my strategy.

15-Apr-20
I bought points in CO like usual and only slightly thought about removing my app for WY, but then have pretty much decided against it. I'm guaranteed to draw a general tag and I really really want to go. It's all I've been thinking and planning for the last few months.

15-Apr-20
No change.

15-Apr-20
no change for me either

15-Apr-20
No changes for me.

15-Apr-20
No change

16-Apr-20
No change. I figure with my luck I’ll draw a desert sheep tag then the damn hunt will be canceled :)

16-Apr-20
Covid isn't changing anything but having a 13 year old who likes to hunt and is trying to punch his first bow tag has. Focusing on in-state, drawable tags with some OTC neighboring state stuff. I hope when he is all grown up these memories mean as much to him as mine do of hunting with my dad. Daughter is showing some interest as well. I may not release an arrow at a big game animal for the next several years and thats ok with me. Early mornings, long days and a warm sleeping bag usually add up to a kid who wants to skip a morning after a few days so I'll sneak in some hunting for myself here and there.

16-Apr-20
No change, points only as usual!

16-Apr-20
Had an application plan for 2020 before the sh*t hit the fan. Sticking to it.

16-Apr-20
Nope

16-Apr-20
I put in for the full monty. That said, I could be turning back in 1 or 2 tags depending on how things are going. No one has a crystal ball on what it will be like by then (or even next month for that matter)

16-Apr-20
I'm all in-in multiple states as usual. It looks like almost everyone else is still applying. I'm sure some may not apply this year if they have lost their job or are falling upon tough financial times?

16-Apr-20
No change. Although most is just elk/deer points for me anyway. I did enter the typical long shot sheep/goat ones.

16-Apr-20
Double tap

16-Apr-20
No changes

16-Apr-20
In with my original pre-Covid plan. WY and NM elk. Points in CO.

16-Apr-20
I'm going to increase the number of states I apply for. And the number of species, just because the number of diehards on Bowsite aren't making any changes, the middle of the road guys and weekend warrior types are certainly not going to apply if they are strapped for cash. Should lead to opportunities for those with the means.

16-Apr-20
Business down ... employees come first. We'll need to ramp it up, and that may include this fall, so not applying in Colorado this year (mule deer). Probably doing more hunting close to home this year, though. So, it's a business issue more than anything.

(Encouraging more outdoor activities -- and other healthy, low-risk activities -- could help make this whole issue more tolerable. Concerts, festivals, public transportation at ski slopes -- probably not my thing this year, but they never are!)

16-Apr-20
We are going to stay in state this year.

16-Apr-20
Usual Wy, Mt, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Ks, Iowa

Most are PPs though

Except where there is a random draw on low % issue tags like Goats and Sheep.

16-Apr-20
No change.

16-Apr-20
yes. indirectly. simply knee surgery to fix meniscus and mcl cancelled due to covid. unknown when it will be rescheduled. if i get lucky, i might be able to go OTC.

16-Apr-20
Indirectly for me as well. My regular job requires travel but provides me with total independence & flexibility. Well when the virus travel ban hit I got reassigned to a project manager including a big raise, but chained to my home office desk. So for every application I have to play it conservatively, generally shorter hunts. With 20+ points in most states, this is not the year to draw multiple hunts if I can't combo.

16-Apr-20

Stick & String's Link
Mostly just preference points here in CO and in WY but did apply for an eastern CO whitetail tag and should get it. Probably hunting elk OTC. But I'm assuming the coronovirus deal will be over by this fall and not changing my plans. Do have some clients that are concerned though about booking a 2020 hunt. Some may hold off until 2021. But we allow them to roll the hunt over anyway if there is a conflict.

16-Apr-20
No change for me.

16-Apr-20
In a roundabout way, Yes. COVID is impacting my business, which impacts my holidays.

16-Apr-20
I postponed applying for any deer/elk tags and applied for points only again. I still throw my name in the hat for most sheep/shiras tags. Those are OIL type tags that you just find a way to make work if/when you ever draw.

17-Apr-20
It has caused a lot of hell in my life. I work in the woods and with school ordered out and pipeline welders and everyone else that works "off" being home and unemployed the turkeys and firelines, "trails" as they refer to them are being destroyed at a rapid pace. Turkey season finally opens here next Monday by the way. This covid crap has been a huge drain on our resources and im tired from working in the woods where social distancing and foraging are super mainstream. That being said I went for deer in Colorado, new mex elk and prong, Kentucky elk, Oklahoma deer, elk, prong, az elk and prong, texas gator, barbs, and prong. just like always. New mexico deer is the only one I normally go for that I didn't this year.

17-Apr-20
Thanks SwamPOKIE! So basically you applied for everything no matter what anyone else was doing. Nothing to see here.

17-Apr-20
BasiKaly

17-Apr-20
I keep hearing about this virus over and over as people tremble in fear but I haven't seen anything out of the norm except THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD HAS GONE CRAZY!! We have given up a lot of fought and died for freedoms because we were told it was probly what they should do.

17-Apr-20
No change. If anything applying for more big 3 stuff and figuring out backup plans if Wyoming elk doesn’t turn out well

17-Apr-20
It's kinda screwy not having Wyo elk results but just Az results...…

I've only drawn 1 tag so far so yup I just did NV. and Montana. Utah done back in late February.

Be Safe and stay Healthy All,

Robb

• Sitka Gear