Teeton 19-Apr-20
butcherboy 19-Apr-20
Rock 20-Apr-20
WapitiBob 20-Apr-20
JTreeman 20-Apr-20
17-Apr-20

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
Sams Club is stocking Readywise dehydrated meals in a bucket for $50. Has anyone tried these? Are they any good?

18-Apr-20
I don’t have any experience with that brand. I’m not a fan of dehydrated meals and much prefer freeze dried. Wouldn’t be a bad choice though at that price if you are looking to stock your food storage for emergencies. I take it you found that brand at “our” Sam’s Club here?

18-Apr-20
Yes

18-Apr-20
At least they do not come from China.

18-Apr-20
Rock I’ve had some good dehydrated bats from China. They are really good.

19-Apr-20
butcherboy, they are freeze-dried. Haven't tried them yet.

19-Apr-20
Mt House is still holding strong ... It was selling more than all other brands combined. Probably still is.

19-Apr-20
Mountain house is good but I find that it never really softens up. A lot of the ingredients remain crunchy, even if you double the rehydration time. I bought some a few years back the the Western Expo in SLC from Campfiremeals and I really liked them. They don't seem to be around anymore. Just looking for an alternative to Mt House.

19-Apr-20
JohnMC, not much I will not eat or try but you nailed one I would not without question.

19-Apr-20
Some of these have a long cook time. Not say these do. But I have some that have a 20 or more cook time. That not hot water in a bag. But cook time. Ed

19-Apr-20
Some Mt. House meals don’t agree with me. Lol I’ve tried a few from Heather’s Choice. Didn’t like the sockeye salmon chowder at all. Took forever to rehydrate and it never really did. The breakfasts are pretty good. Haven’t tried the packaroons yet. There are a lot more options out there for freeze dried meals if you look. I’ve freeze dried a few meals for myself with the giant freeze dryers I use for velvet antlers and turkey heads but it takes too long. They aren’t really designed for food like other freeze dryers are. Now if I could get my hands on one of those then that I would be great. I have a giant vacuum sealer and access to all kinds of boil in vacuum bags.

20-Apr-20

Rock's Link
https://www.backpackerspantry.com/

Jim, I have used these in the past and thought they were really good and better than MH

20-Apr-20
Peak refuel is the best, then mt house but peak are $13.

20-Apr-20
Funny Rock, I was not real impressed with the Backpackers Pantry meals I’ve had. Just goes to show how opinions differ.

—Jim

• Sitka Gear