PREZ 17-May-20
Kevin Dill 17-May-20
huntperch 17-May-20
drycreek 17-May-20
Empty Freezer 17-May-20
Mint 18-May-20
JohnMC 18-May-20
16-May-20
Got a new truck w key fob that truck senses where it is so you can unlock doors, start engine etc. I have always had a hide a key in case I lose one. You can't hide a key anywhere on the truck and can't lock a spare inside as it won't allow the truck to lock. What do you do?

16-May-20
Are you worried about hunting or just in general? If it is a proximity key it’s hard to lock them in the truck or leave them anywhere because you never have to take it out of your pocket. If you’re worried about hunting, I always make sure I zip mine into my pack in a specific zipper. Or you can take the spare and hide it under a rock somewhere in the general area of the truck.

16-May-20
Thanks. Those are the solutions I have come up with too.

16-May-20
I assume you can still use a simple key to unlock the door from outside. If so hide one of those on truck. Try wrapping your spare you want to hide inside truck in aluminum foil maybe it won't sense it? Or if that does not work is there a battery you could take out of your spare that is hide inside truck?

16-May-20
Couple options. My key fob has a spare key in it to unlock drivers door. I had one like it made and hidden under truck. I then took my spare fob, removed the battery and hid it in truck. Horn honks until you can get the other FOB and start truck but it works and I am good to go should I lose my FOB in the field. Depending on your truck (I have a Toyota) you might be also able to turn the FOB off, then you can hide it on your truck when out and about Pressing one button then re-enables it

16-May-20
I had a hide a key made to just unlock the door. Alarm goes off if I use it so the Key Fob has to be inside of the truck. I have a key less entry on my Ford & just lock the keys inside but when I do the same thing on my GMC I'm locked out. It happens to me more as I get older & my dogs have locked me out many times!

16-May-20
Great ideas. It will use a simple key. May try to cover w something to keep from being sensed but if doesn't work will prob remove the battery of spare inside truck. Many thanks

16-May-20
Some brands will let you lock the key in the vehicle after multiple attempts, jeep for example is 3 times. So... lock from button on inside of door, shut door, it will auto unluck. Rinse and repeat 2 more times, and it may stay locked. Other option is to try by manually locking the door from the outside with the actual shank.

If those don't work, then, yes you will have to revert to just using a shank in the hide a key on the outside of the truck. Problem with that is, if you lose your proximity key, you can get in the truck, but can't start it. Maybe take the battery out of the key you want to leave in the truck, and tape it to the fob. So when you get in the truck with the outside shank you can still start it. Be aware that using just the shank to gain entry may result in the alarm going off. And you will need remote/proximity key to shut it off.

16-May-20
Take the battery out and reverse it and put it back in. Hide it where you want then

16-May-20
The other issue with hiding those smart keys is that you’re looking at a 300-500 dollar key. It’s not the key from your 88 blazer you got cut at ace hardware. No chance I’m taking a chance of it falling off or getting lost.

16-May-20
My Ford has the buttons on the door so I can unlock without a key. I can leave a key inside of truck and it still locks and unlocks normally.

16-May-20
UCS I think the plan with the smart key is the keep the spare smart key in the truck as in the bottom of glove box. Then hide a cheap key that will only unlock the door outside/under truck. So if you lose your keys you can still drive it home.

16-May-20
I have no knowledge on fob polarity but a lot of newer electronics do not like reverse polarity as in inserting battery backwards. That's becoming a old school method. Couldn't stop my Dad from doing it and it cost him a newer semi-expensive flashlight with electronics and the warning was there.

I have a truck cap on and can leave a spare key in a bag back by the tailgate, then I only need to carry the cap key and they are cheap to get made. Would give Dad a cap key and he could get back in and warm up.

16-May-20
The tailgate also works with the proximity fob so can't lock tailgate with it inside.

16-May-20
Does anyone else think there are too damn many high tech devices on vehicles ? I’m still pissed that they took the dimmer switch off the floor...........and that’s only partly a joke !

16-May-20
Most vehicles can have a non tech key made for mechanical entry. And if you do get silly and loose your prox keys, you are that much closer and cheaper to get a new one made. They are all getting pretty high tec. My brothers( locksmiths) program some of these and they are not cheap. The other thing people do is never use the mechanical key and then expect it to work after collecting dust in the lock for years. Use the key periodically and lube it every now and then is a wise idea.

17-May-20
drycreek, I remember when cars/trucks had crank up windows , no air conditioner or turn signals. Yep, things have changed (self driving cars and $300 key fobs)

17-May-20
They have to make them “worth” $60,000 somehow.

I buy a vehicle and drive it for 10-15 years. I’ve always said I’d rather have manual windows as the motors usually need replaced after 8-10 years, especially in a truck that bounces around dirt roads a lot. I like blue tooth radio but other than that they can keep their electronics. Every time I think about looking at a used vehicle I’m drawn to the pre 2000 vehicles, lol.

17-May-20
I hate what they've done to trucks. A truck should be just that, not a tricked out "yuppie" mobile.

17-May-20
I like the power windows, they’re mighty handy when your dog farts and you’re going down the road. I even like the navigation if it works as designed, but I remember when they put the ignition switch on the column, supposedly that was gonna slow down car theft. It did for about 15 minutes, but all a thief has to do is figure out how to steal 24/7. He doesn’t have a job, so nothing they do is gonna slow him down for long. The $300 key fob is just another lump in my pocket.

17-May-20
I never trust that the door is really locked without yanking the handle when I get out. You do that with these new keys and it unlocks it. I just can’t get used to it. End up looking in the windows to make sure the knobs are down before walking away.

17-May-20
check out Faraday bag for key fob on Amazon. Read the reviews because some of the cheep china knock offs don't work.

17-May-20
Garan- perfect. ordered two pack.

17-May-20
Did you try wrapping it in tin foil ??? It might work.

17-May-20
nvgoat, now I'm glad my truck doesn't have a fob locking tailgate.

17-May-20

17-May-20
How do you know when technology has gone too far? When you can’t jump on a Harley and ride off without a proximity fob and without accepting the warning/disclaimer on the touchscreen display.

17-May-20
Drycreek I agree totally. Engineering gone wild. I never even new ignitions were all going to hell that we had to solve that problem and start pushing a button. Wait a second isnt that where cars and tractors started 100 years ago? Even the cruise control was always so easy to find without looking on the end of the wipers. Now on both our vehicles one Ford one Chevy you need to take your eyes off the road and find them on the middle of the steering wheel.

17-May-20
To continue my useless rant, my mirror adjustment has a button to activate right or left. In addition, it has a master button that you must turn on to activate the L or R mirror. Why ? Wouldn’t the master switch be enough. Eff a bunch of engineers !

My apoligies to the engineers in this audience.....maybe ;-)

17-May-20
i had to buy a key for my Tundra. $200 i believe. I just bolt it to the frame in plastic. Been there for 3 years. check it every year. still works.

18-May-20
HitchSafe works for me.

18-May-20
That would work well if you don't often pull a trailer.

• Sitka Gear