Kevin Dill 28-May-20
newfi1946moose 28-May-20
Mule Power 28-May-20
Alexis Desjardins 28-May-20
Ace 10-Jun-20
Whocares 16-Jun-20
Whocares 16-Jun-20
28-May-20
Today the camp owner where we had an ice out trout trip in Ontario booked for May18, rebooked for June 5 due to border closure, and now off due to closure thru June 21, called to say they decided not to even open up this year. She said her gut says the closure may go longer but said that's only her guess. Said they decided for all the things they would need to do to be open and safe for everyone it is not worth it to them. Offered me a full refund but I said roll it to next May and she said that will be fine. It is a very nice camp on a fine lake. Bummer for them. Hope you guys don't run into that with your plans or you outfitters don't feel in that same pickle.

28-May-20
Son had same deal with an Alaskan lodge. They had a big group going in August, but the lodge is closed for the season.

28-May-20
I got a call from a disappointed (to say the least) Quebec outfitter friend of mine yesterday who told me that he too is forced to close for the season.

He was on his way to his camps to spend a few days in solitude.

28-May-20
Sad to hear stories like these, but glad to know some camps are offering rollovers.

Everything is personal. The pandemic effect is no less personal. If you are physically healthy but suffering great economic pain, that's probably your motivation for action. If your wife or family are directly impacted by, or taken from you by Covid-19....you likely aren't as focused on others' economic woes. Most of us fall squarely in the middle. I don't like seeing people suffer in any fashion, but it's inescapable in some situations.

28-May-20
The reality of all this is that we who enjoy the outfitter/hunter experience will undergo huge changes given the closure of the camps. Scentman is correct. Our spring bear hunt has been pushed to 2021, but I have serious concern that our outfitter will be able to hold out w/o income until then. I would think that Canada would be stepping in with $$$ to save harmless their outfitters and thus help them maintain their client base.

28-May-20
DIY is looking better by the day where possible.

28-May-20
The Canadian outfitters r pretty much on there own the government ain’t going to help much. Hope next year hair straight back for whoever is left.

10-Jun-20

Ace's Link
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada and the United States are set to extend a ban on non-essential travel to late July as both countries seek to control the spread of the coronavirus, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

Washington and Ottawa introduced month-long restrictions in March and renewed them in April and May. The ban, currently due to expire on June 21, does not affect trade.

Canadian and U.S. sources said although the governments had not yet taken a final decision, a further extension was highly likely.

“It’s going to be a clean rollover” on June 21, said a U.S. source who requested anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation. “We will want to look at it again in July.”

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security was not immediately available for comment.

Data show that while the outbreak is slowing across the 10 Canadian provinces, new cases show little sign of abating in Toronto and Montreal, the country’s two largest cities.

A majority of provinces have privately told Ottawa they are reluctant to resume non-essential travel, said a second source.

Several provinces have clamped down on travel within Canada, and a third Canadian source said these inter-provincial restrictions would make it hard to lift the ban on non-essential travel with the United States.

More than 110,000 people have died of the coronavirus in the United States, one of the world’s worst-hit nations. Canada reported 7,835 deaths, and 96,244 coronavirus cases on June 9.

A spokeswoman for Canadian Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, who has overall responsibility for ties with the United States, said both sides agreed the ban had worked well.

Extending the measures would hurt Canadian airlines and the tourism industry.

Carriers, including Air Canada, have been among the worst hit as travel bans resulted in thousands of flight cancellations, forcing carriers to cut jobs and costs.

“There is a push from some sectors for reopening (the border), like Air Canada,” a Canadian government source said.

Asked about reopening the border, Air Canada said in a statement that governments around the world are relaxing restrictions and said it was working with tourism and industry groups to “streamline and clarify rules around travel”.

16-Jun-20
Just announced border staying closed to July 21. Bummer.

16-Jun-20
Say a prayer.

• Sitka Gear