WV Mountaineer 07-Jul-20
Guardian hunter 07-Jul-20
solo hunter19 07-Jul-20
bowcrazyJRHCO 07-Jul-20
wyliecoyote 07-Jul-20
caribou77 07-Jul-20
LINK 19-Aug-20
06-Jul-20
Hi All Anyone have experience using the Alps Traverse EPS 4500 pack? Asking since i currently own and have used for many years a Cabbalas freighter pack and always end up packing a day pack in as well, would like to upgrade to a single pack that i could also use as a day pack to cut down on weight and so when i do get animal on the ground that i can pack some out on the first trip instead of going back to camp for the pack frame. There likely are better packs out there but not sure how many years of elk hunting i have left in me and don't really want to spend $600 or more for some of the high end packs. Thoughts?

06-Jul-20
Buy a Kifaru, Stone glacier or exo. Buy used for $400 or buy new knowing in 5-6 years you’ll be able to get 60-75% of your money back. A cheaper option might be to buy a Mystery Ranch pack not billed as a “hunting pack”. You could probably pick up a used kuiu for $300.

06-Jul-20

LINK's Link
The mystery ranch terra frame packs are on the guide light frame and still have the overload(meat hauling feature).

06-Jul-20
Sorry solo, didn’t intend on killing your thread. Surely someone has tried the alps traverse.

07-Jul-20
Yes, I used one for several years. It’s a decent pack. Only Real complaint is if you have a waist line larger then about 33 inches, the hip pads on the belt will not cover much of the hips. And, if you load it real heavy, you will bend the internal frame.

For a day pack that can haul out the first load in the expandable shelf, it works. For packing in over night, it’s simply not big enough. It might have the CI it advertises but, half of that is in pockets that aren’t designed to hold over night gear.

07-Jul-20
I just ordered one. I have 2 others that are smaller. Very satisfied with them. Use promo code welcome50. It saves half you price . Good hunting

07-Jul-20
Thanks for everyone's feedback! WV Mountaineer that helps a lot since my waist is a bit over 33" and i feel i need all of or more than the advertised 4500 capacity for packing in. Suggestions on web sites to look for good used packs? Also do most of those high end packs compress down enough to double as a day pack? Thanks again!

07-Jul-20
Good prices at camofire.com on Mystery Ranch and others. You can call number on web site.

07-Jul-20
I have owned and used extensively the Traverse 3200...the meat packing pocket is amazing...puts the weight right next to your back plus it will hold a bow, a chair, a ground blind, etc. I am 5'11" and the waist and shoulder straps are perfect for me. Can't beat their prices when they are not on sale...now 50% off...WOW!!

Joe

07-Jul-20
Well at 50% off I think wyliecoyote there just answered your question. If you have interest in any of their packs now is the time to buy. Heck buy 3 different ones from them and send back the 2 you dont like.

As for the high end packs, I havent seen one that doesnt pack down to day pack hunting well. My old kuiu ultra 6000 packed down easily as small as the 1800. Worked so well I sold the 1800 bag. Exo, SG, kifaru, mystery ranch and eberlestock all pack down small. They are all far more packable than the old cabelas freighter packs. Quieter too.

19-Aug-20

LINK's Link
The mystery ranch terra frames are on sale for $230 at Sierra.com.

• Sitka Gear