midwest 08-Jul-20
Woods Walker 08-Jul-20
Inshart 08-Jul-20
Inshart 08-Jul-20
orionsbrother 08-Jul-20
straightshooter 09-Jul-20
GhostBird 09-Jul-20
08-Jul-20
So a guy at work was just sharing his "trip recap" with me. He went on a hike with some friends.

They decided to hike part of the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. They supposedly "had it down" because of being in the Boy Scouts when they were younger.

This guy is complaining about the blisters that he got because he was wearing boots that he put on for the first time the day that they were dropped off.

The original plan was for them to hike three days, camp two nights.

They made it less than ten miles.

He was carrying a crap pack with FIFTY POUNDS of gear (probably better than 1/3 of his body weight) for two nights and still had less than three quarts of water. Which he ended up sharing with his buddy. His feet got beat up by the boots, he ended up dehydrated, overheated and decided to bail out when he realized he'd stopped sweating. Less than ten miles.

I told him that I would've gone over his pack with him, that there was no way he needed fifty pounds for two nights. That I could've loaned him some gear and if he would've let me know ahead of time, I would've warned him about untested boots and 93 degree heat.

I don't know what kind of scouting programs these guys were involved in here in the Chicago Metro Area, but I'm a little surprised.

Now, with my willingness to help, comes the expressed interest in bowhunting.

I'm going to do my best to be an ambassador for our sport... I'm just not sure if I'm getting into a bigger project than I can muster.

08-Jul-20
Bigger project? just do one at a time. ie, do not try to eat the whole elephant in one setting---------just try one bite at a time, and over time.

08-Jul-20
That’s the plan Paul.

I’m not a negative guy. I’m just concerned that this guy is quite a few steps behind my eleven year old and seems to be more hesitant to take suggestions or direction.

I promise to do my best with the limited time that I have.

08-Jul-20
Bet on it, single pair of socks (no 'slip' socks'), no 'moleskin' in that 50 pound sack; probably too macho to use a walking stick. 'Winter' sleeping bag? Cast iron cookware? If you want to see how many mistakes one person can make, backpacking is a 'reality show' ;-)

08-Jul-20
No moleskin. No leukotape. But a Carhart jacket. Cotton tube socks.

It was in the nineties.

08-Jul-20
Bottom line, do you have room for 1 more at elk camp or not?

08-Jul-20
Another day they may have ended up in the hospital. They're lucky.

08-Jul-20
Hazarding the risk of creating another acolyte of the archery "bro culture," I would point him to sound resources -books, podcasts, etc. .

08-Jul-20
Ice Age Trail is a cool area. I ran 50 miles of it!

I hope you make a convert...good on you!

08-Jul-20
You know, those of us who've spent most of our lives in the woods/outdoors have a knowledge base about being in the outdoors that the average person cannot even comprehend. In fact most of us even take it for granted because it's been part of us for so long, we can't even imagine what it's like to NOT to have it. Good on you for trying to pass it on. Hopefully they will listen!

08-Jul-20
Maybe the thing to do would be to offer to hike the trail with him. That may give you some insight as to whether or not he's fit ** or better yet would be a "good fit" with you on an elk hunt, or extended excursion?

There have been some real horror stories about going on an extended hunt / vacation with someone that you discover does not quite belong on certain types of an outing??

08-Jul-20
Maybe the thing to do would be to offer to hike the trail with him. That may give you some insight as to whether or not he's fit ** or better yet would be a "good fit" with you on an elk hunt, or extended excursion?

There have been some real horror stories about going on an extended hunt / vacation with someone that you discover does not quite belong on certain types of an outing??

08-Jul-20
Oh. I am going to attempt to open some doors for him and point him in the right direction. Help introduce him to the sport.

I am willing to try to be a resource. I’ll loan him gear. I will kindly deflect any ideas of shared trips.

09-Jul-20
We all start somewhere. ??

09-Jul-20
Woods Walker for the win

• Sitka Gear