BIGERN 17-Jul-20
Sawdust 17-Jul-20
skookumjt 17-Jul-20
x-man 17-Jul-20
Mule Power 17-Jul-20
Mule Power 17-Jul-20
Bake 17-Jul-20
10-Jul-20
The family will be going to Jackson in August and I'm wondering if any bowsiters have any advice for must see/do activities or things to skip. Two kids, age 10 and 13.

We're planning on Yellowstone one day and Grand Tetons another. I see there are some activities at Snow King resort that look like a possibility. Considering a river trip, horseback riding, etc. I have thought about taking the 10 year old trout fishing if there was a reasonable option. He loves anything hunting/fishing/wildlife related. His sister hunts and fishes but isn't nearly as into it

Any advice either general or specific from locals would be greatly appreciated.

10-Jul-20
We did it a few years ago my boys were a little older. We drove through Yellowstone from Jackson to Gardner Mt. one day, the over Red Lodge(Beartooth Highway) and back down to Cody the next. We liked the north side of Yellowstone more than the parts closer to Jackson. Cody was cool, rodeo and Buffalo Bill museum.

My boys and I did the mountain bikes at the ski resort. Very fun but tough. I was picturing a big wide gravel road winding down the mountain. Wrong! Think BMX. Fun but I was worn out and sore.

10-Jul-20
Headed that way in a couple weeks! We got a VRBO near Jackson for a few nights then up to West Yellowstone for a couple nights.

10-Jul-20
Jackson is very expensive! There’s a lot to see and do down the west side of the state. Rent atvs in Alpine, visit Freedom Arms. Afton is a nice town. West Yellowstone is also a great town to spend time in.

10-Jul-20
I’d also make it a point to go through Sheridan and tour the new Weatherby shop.

10-Jul-20
Definitely do a river float. Right now I'm sitting in the parking lot of Big O tires in Jackson waiting for a flat repair, and this town is busier than a beehive. Can't wait to get back to my secluded camp on the river...

10-Jul-20
Take the hike near Lake Jenny up to the falls below the Tetons. It's awesome! My wife and myself took our honeymoon trip there and fished the lakes around the tetons. Lake Jenny specifically. Where the water from the stream runs into the lake, the cutthroats were staged there and we had a blast catching them. Further North there's another lake that it's name escapes me, but below the spillway, I got into another mess of cutthroats. Lots of fun!

We did this in mid May, 13 years ago and got snowed on the second day. We also stayed at the Jackson hole ski resort hotel and it was laid back and not a lot of people. It's on the West side of JH, I believe. We also took the drive around Yellowstone. Remember this... when waiting for Old Faithful to explode, stay on the upwind side. :)

It's a beautiful place!

10-Jul-20
One day in Yellowstone is not enough to see it all. I really liked the Lamar Valley area great area to see animals. It is a long way from Jackson. If you only have two days to see Teton and Yellowstone. I spend a couple hours coming or going to Yellowstone in Teton and rest of day in Yellowstone. You more or less drive through Teton to get to Yellowstone from Jackson.

10-Jul-20
One day is more than enough to do the Tetons but not near enough to do Yellowstone.

10-Jul-20
Tetons -- gondola ride to summit is an experience. (take coats for the summit, was my experience). I did 5 days in Yellowstone. Mixed in fishing for a few hours a few times, but took a different portion of park each day. 3 days for Tetons, but could do it in less if time constraints. Cody, Wyoming has a Buffalo Bill museum that is outstanding. Even kids would like it. Worth looking into. It could take a good part of a day even if you rush.

Enjoy

10-Jul-20
It would be a shame NOT to do a river float. Our youngest was about 10 when we did it. We wish we would have done the "harder" one when all was said and done. All these years later, that's the one and only thing they remember about that two week trip... a half-day river float. That, and hiking around at the ski resort that we stayed at. We saw more wildlife on the ski slope than the entire Yellowstone Park area.

10-Jul-20
When you guys are talking about a river float, are you talking whitewater rafting?

10-Jul-20
Great year to do it! No busloads of foreigners stopping every 50 feet for chipmunk pictures!

10-Jul-20
The river float out of Jackson is a raft trip, pretty nice and some fast water especially in the Big Kahuna.

10-Jul-20
The good thing about the foreigners is they like to ask you to take their pics with their Iphones. I alway put in selfie mode and take a much of selfies for them. I do all ways get a few good one of them as well.

10-Jul-20
You need two days in Yellowstone. Even then you still won’t see it all. Bum around Jackson for a day. It’s not insane expensive. If you don’t mind a 30 minute scenic drive south along the Snake River for a cheaper but really nice room go to the Flying Saddle in Alpine. Nice indoor pool which your family will appreciate in August.

10-Jul-20
It depends what your family likes to do. If you like hiking, then 1 day is not near enough for either. Our family like's Teton better than Yellowstone.

As said before, great year to go. You won't have to wait for the bus loads of tourist stopping for every chipmunk, buffalo, etc.

10-Jul-20
We have free lodging at a friend's apartment in Jackson so we'll base out of there.

10-Jul-20
The kids might get a kick out of the Silver Dollar and enjoy the "saddle" Bar stools.

11-Jul-20
Go into Jackson Drug on the NW corner of town square and get everyone a huckleberry milkshake! Lunch or dinner at Bubbas.

As far as the float trips... south out of Jackson down the Snake is faster water once you get past Fall Creek. That’s because the canyon gets narrower. But it’s beautiful! North of town from say Jackson lake down is slow and flat. But I never heard anyone who didn’t enjoy having to look at the Tetons all day!!!

11-Jul-20
You can do white water rafting or a float fishing trip, I would vote for the fishing trip, more laid back and a chance to catch a trout, white water rafting is fun but no fishing. Fall has hunter's rates at some hotels in Jackson.

15-Jul-20
We have 2 nights in Jackson & 1 in Gardiner end of month. We have Lamar Valley listed as a go to area.

16-Jul-20
If you are based in Jackson, you are on the south end of Yellow stone - Places like Sheriden, Mt Rushmore, Devil's tower are 5+ hours one way - Tetons is great, Jenny Lake trail - walk it don't take the boat - Lamar valley in Yellowstone is great - Old faithful and the geyser trails on that end are fun - Mammoth hot springs (north end of the loop) is also good - TONS AND TONS in between - We did a float trip from jackson when we where there, very scenic and relaxing - If you want a restaraunt that is not your normal food, Gun Barrel down town Jackson, lots of wild game on the menu

16-Jul-20
Being retired and living a little south of Jackson, one cannot do the parks justice in just a day or two. Still, it is worth trying!

Fly fishing heaven...three great rivers near me: Salt, Greys and Snake. Of course, one can also fish the Yellowstone. Of course, with all that can be done or seen, there may not be much time to fish. Still...an awesome fishery.

We had friends visit last year and they really enjoyed a dual river experience. They took a float trip in the morning and enjoyed the wildlife along the Snake. Afternoon, took a whitewater run. Two different experiences.

Jackson...busy town. Because of all the tourists, especially from the covid states like CA, NY, NJ, etc. it is recommended (and often mandated) the wearing of masks. Locals don't want to get exposed as they face a mandatory quarantine. The local economy are dependent upon tourists, so keep that in mind.

There are a lot of art galleries in town...worth a visit to see wildlife and western art...paintings, sculpture, etc. (Commercial : my daughter is owner of Gallery Wild across from The Wort. ;o) ) Historically, worth visiting The Wort and seeing the Million Dollar Bar.)

Outside of Jackson on the way to the parks is The National Wildlife Museum. Sculptures and artwork from historically important artists who portrayed the area before it became such a tourist mecca.

When it comes to viewing wildlife in GTNP/Yellowstone, traveling the main route will give you views, but you will also deal with traffic. If you have the money, often the guided tours will be a good choice. Most of the guides are very knowledgeable about the biology and geology of the area...and best of all, are connected so they hear of where animal sighting are occurring...often off the main drag.

Note: bring binoculars and cameras.

The famous grizzly sow 699 is a regular show in GTNP. She has three cubs with her this year...a rarity for her age. Again, the guided tours encounter her more often than just driving. It's later in the year now, but in the spring a lot of the animals spend time along the roads as human traffic keeps some of the predators away from the newborn.

If driving, get a good map and take the time to go down some of the lesser traveled roads. It'll give you respite from the traffic and you can find quiet places to picnic. (Stop at Dornan's for sandwiches and supplies!)

Respect the wildlife and keep a proper distance. This year a number of people have had rather bad bison experiences due to getting too close. (Usually it it the Chinese that just have to get in petting distance, but this year some rather stupid people have stepped up!)

If you are of age, it is worth getting a national park senior pass. I believe the price has gone up to $80 (I got mine back when it was $10?), but it allows entrance to all national parks and federal recreational areas. One time fee and good forever.

Sorry if this is a little disjointed...had a couple of mulie bucks in velvet looking in my window.

17-Jul-20
Do not miss driving the Beartooth highway, then see the piggy races in Red Lodge. Be sure to call ahead and secure reservations though. It's a long ride from where you're at so try to find a place for the night in Red Lodge.

17-Jul-20
I was in Jackson and Yellowstone this past week, been going two or three times a year for 7 years now. This past week was the busiest I've seen in Yellowstone. No tour buses but a lot of Cali and Washington state plates. Old faithful was unreal busy. Jackson wasn't nearly as busy as West Yellowstone. Lots of Wolves running around the park this time. We saw more this one trip than all other times combined. Even when very busy it is still worth the trip.

17-Jul-20
Keep the ideas coming. Thanks for all the advice. Anyone have recommendations on float companies or fishing guides they would recommend?

17-Jul-20
So, unless you're fishing, take the wildest whitewater trip you can find. Some of the longer slower rides have more scenery but, the kids will not enjoy that as much as you will.

Our 10 year-old at the time sat in the very front tip of the raft and got drenched with water and tossed about pretty good. I've never heard her laugh so much before or since. All three kids wanted more.

The place we used was on the north side of the park(sorry, don't remember the name) and they had three float trip options that year (depends on how high the water is). They ranged from short and wild to long and slow. We did the middle one, a little longer and slower than the wild one. We ALL regretted not taking the wildest one.

I'll try to find the place we used via google...no promises.

17-Jul-20
I’ll ask a friend from Alpine. He drives for UPS now but has been guiding fishermen for years.

17-Jul-20
He recommends Mangis Guide service. I met the owner at his wedding. Him and his wife were nice people.

17-Jul-20

Bake's Link
Watch this!

• Sitka Gear