t-roy 25-Jul-20
BullBuster 26-Jul-20
Chief 419 26-Jul-20
ArnoldBernadette 22-Feb-21
Missouribreaks 22-Feb-21
Bou'bound 22-Feb-21
23-Jul-20

BOHNTR's Link
P&Y Policy change on velvet antlered animals.

23-Jul-20
This is awesome news Roy! Thanks for all of the work you and your committee put in to make this happen for the velvet chasers!

23-Jul-20
About time!

23-Jul-20
So if I understand it correctly there will be a hard horned, world record, typical mule deer and a separate velvet, world record, typical mule deer? The velvet and hard horned categories will not be mixed in the record books?

Does it include all antlered species, Deer, Caribou, Moose and Elk?

23-Jul-20
It’s about time there has been a systemic and disgraceful prejudice against antlered game just because of the surface of their antlers. It was time for this change. There are trophies and hunters that should be seeking reparations for the prolonged impact and indignation they have had to deal with. This is a big step in the trophy rack equality movement and proof that velvet racks matter. Many still oppose defunding pope and young over prior velvet stigmatizing though. Given this smart change in policy hopefully that will not become necessary.

23-Jul-20
Charlie:

There will be a world record for each separate category; hard rack AND velvet. They have been separated for a long time.

23-Jul-20
Will the Grand Slam folks follow suit? The NA count number will be going up. Will be quite the rush to become the first to get all of them in the velvet category.

This should open up new guiding business opportunities as soon as states and provinces get more early velvet season in the mix.

23-Jul-20
Bou'bound, that was a very entertaining post! You should head over to the Jay Fuller post and do some entertaining over there too.

23-Jul-20
Good one bou. Never cease to amaze with your insight on all things other than cougar hunting.

23-Jul-20
Yeah, Bou......that was good

23-Jul-20
Thumbs up emoji

23-Jul-20
Nice

23-Jul-20
I think this creates a great opportunity for more hunters to pursue a world record quality animal. For a number of species the largest velvet entry to date is not all that big. For some species, there is already a velvet entry that exceeds the hard horned world record. I'm really excited about the potential interest that this creates.

I don't see how this effects the Slam folks. They don't require a typical and non typical to count towards the Slam. Generally, the harvest of the species, regardless of the antler configuration, is what they are looking for. It would make for some interesting "what ifs".

23-Jul-20
Roy, Just out of curiosity, say that someone shoots an antlered animal that has one small patch of velvet on one antler. 99% of the rack is hard horned. Let's say that the record for a hard horned animal is 400 inches, and the record for the velvet class is 250 inches. If the animal scores 300 inches, is it a new velvet record? Who makes the determination as to which "class" the animal is slotted into? As an animal starts to shed it's velvet, will it create problems if the % of velvet decreases as you drag an animal out of the bush after a kill? Personally, I'm not really worried either way....just pondering possible scenarios....

23-Jul-20
Good job Roy.... the Reno Convention will have at least 19 new world records and the potential for 54+ additional animals on display.... I cannot wait. Ed F

23-Jul-20
I say it’s about time. Not that I have any to add to the list but it just seems silly to not include them.

23-Jul-20
Ed, you didn’t hear...Reno’s been canceled! :-)

23-Jul-20
P&Y was coming to Reno!?!? Dammit, I would’ve gone!

23-Jul-20
Jake......they way the Measurer’s manual is written, if “any measurement” is affected by velvet during the measuring process regardless how much velvet covers the antlers, it must be entered in the Velvet category.

23-Jul-20
Thanks Yeager.... So that essentially gives the bowhunter the option of stripping the velvet, or leaving it on....

23-Jul-20
Yttalis,

Hilarious!!!

Roy,

I always like to see P&Y adapting to the needs of a current time. Thanks for your time and effort to The CLUB!

23-Jul-20
Good!

23-Jul-20
Cool

23-Jul-20
Really a great deal

23-Jul-20
Great to see. I always felt badly for guys who were conflicted between mounting their trophies as they killed it and stripping the velvet for scoring purposes. Now they can have the best of both worlds.

24-Jul-20
Now they will have to X-ray all the new “velvet world record” to make sure nothing funny is going on under the velvet to increase score!

24-Jul-20
+1 Matt it was always a tough decision.

Good luck, Robb

24-Jul-20
Nice work Roy and team!

Hilarious response Grant!

24-Jul-20
Thumbs up!!

24-Jul-20
Nice work Roy.

I haven't heard anything about Reno being cancelled. Any truth in this?

24-Jul-20
Zero truth to that mountainman, the comment was tongue in cheek I'm sure. There's a lot of uncertainty in the world obviously but we are a LONG ways out from making that call. Reno convention is still on as planned.

24-Jul-20
Its long overdue in my opinion, a good common sense change. Certain animals did not get the credit that they deserved, such as the mule deer that Cody Robins shot.

24-Jul-20
What's the minimum going to be?

24-Jul-20
Website indicates velvet minimums are the same as corresponding hard horned minimums.

I'm curious about the 60 day drying period. Does that still apply to velvet entries? If so, how does velvet preservation figure into the equation?

24-Jul-20
Same entry minimums (nothing changed there). Drying time is the same as well, once the velvet is cured, drying period begins.

24-Jul-20
LOL Yttails! But don't be picking on poor Bou……………………. ;-)

24-Jul-20
Going to be a nice change. The velvet critters needed a better spot to be recognized.

25-Jul-20
I was thinking about the Cody Robbins buck too. Hopefully he can now enter it at what it scored then and not have to rescore. Gained respect when he said hed chose to keep the buck how it died rather than go for an all time record by stripping it.

25-Jul-20
Velvet antlers shrink everyday.... Roy, correct me if I'm wrong, the top 10 in each catagory will have to go to panel to authenticate their score. All these older, top end animals wont score nearly what they did when they were killed. Ed F

25-Jul-20
VAM!-)

25-Jul-20
Are there already a lot of velvet animals that have been officially scored in past years? If so, is that score the official score for that animal, or will they need to be rescored?

26-Jul-20
I’ve got 4/29 for my velvet Super Slam! LOL

26-Jul-20
Long over due in my opinion as an official measurer. Good job on moving the club forward. Thank you Ed and all involved.

22-Feb-21
I recently read an article on this topic. The animals should get the recognition they deserve, the recognition that cost them their lives.

22-Feb-21
The animal is dead, it will not recognize it's accomplishment.

22-Feb-21
nor will it feel honored. it basically doesn't care. heck it does not even get it's name in the book like we do as hunters.

• Sitka Gear