Inshart 18-Dec-20
BOWNBIRDHNTR 21-Dec-20
Quinn @work 21-Dec-20
coelker 21-Dec-20
coelker 21-Dec-20
coelker 21-Dec-20
17-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Buster here is Cool his right side goes straight forward. At first he looks to only have 1 horn, but it is growing forward. Had him at 42 yard opening day and passed.
coelker's embedded Photo
Buster here is Cool his right side goes straight forward. At first he looks to only have 1 horn, but it is growing forward. Had him at 42 yard opening day and passed.
coelker's embedded Photo
Waterholes are fun to have a camera at... This pup is lucky I did not send an arrow his way.
coelker's embedded Photo
Waterholes are fun to have a camera at... This pup is lucky I did not send an arrow his way.
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
In search of LINK… So opening weekend WY antelope 2020 found my son and I bouncing across the WY sage on dusty roads in hot weather. We got into the unit late Friday night the dark skies allowed for us to set up the spotter and look at Jupiter and its moons… Just before sun up we got up and began the search for the antelope buck my son has dubbed Link… I associate it with missing link some rare monster specimen that represents the mega flora and fauna of the past, for my son Link is a hero with great strength and character…. At any rate link is hopefully over 80” and has a perfect shape mass, length etc… We began the morning covering ground and glassing. Looking at different areas and determining what areas had more and less antelope. We glassed a lot of bucks. In fact over the 2 days we looked at 148 bucks. This did not count all the little tiny bucks and it did not include and repeat bucks. Mid-morning on Saturday my son glassed up this dead head laying in the sage from about 600 yards. It was a solid 5 and his first dead head elk found. So after a phone call to the unit Warden, we arranged to pick up the head and get the proper tag. I did not realize it was $8 for the permit, just FYI for anyone else. That afternoon we explored a few more areas and added to our buck count bun none really stood out. That night as we laid looking at the stars we saw several shooting stars a few satellites We made a plan for the morning and the next. We explored a few more areas before heading back to sit a waterhole we looked at the day before. At 11:30 when we pulled up to the water hole we had antelope on it. We hurried and Set up the blind and hid the truck. We sat from Noon until 5:00 we had 47 Antelope come into the water and 19 were bucks. One might have deserved a closer look but opening weekend of a season that does not end until October 31st means the buck needs to be a bruiser for sure… The fun part about the water hole is taking pictures… Even if it is 92 out and in the blind it is easily 20 degrees hotter. At one point we had 22 antelope within 50 yards of our blind in all directions…

At 5:30 we headed home and glassed as we went. The sad part… The biggest buck we saw all weekend was in the Town of Wamsetter, rubbing a sage brush next to a junk yard….

17-Aug-20
I look forward to following this, keep it comin!

17-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
I never noticed how big the vein is on the nose until they stood with the head down.
coelker's embedded Photo
I never noticed how big the vein is on the nose until they stood with the head down.
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
This buck was kind of tempting, but not too much given the long season...
coelker's embedded Photo
This buck was kind of tempting, but not too much given the long season...
coelker's embedded Photo
Same buck
coelker's embedded Photo
Same buck
So I had lots of pics and these are a few good ones... As a side note, the Coyote pup came in and hung out for a bit. It then found a burrow on the damn and went in... My son decided to see how close he could get. he was about 2 feet from the pup when it came back out. The pup was not sure what to do...

17-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Man I really hope I know what a trophy lope is... I am having a hard time convincing myself I will know a shooter when I see it...
coelker's embedded Photo
Man I really hope I know what a trophy lope is... I am having a hard time convincing myself I will know a shooter when I see it...
A few more bucks. Tons of action for such a short sit. My son was funny... Being ten he really just wants to kill, kill, kill. He is not overly used to me passing shots on decent animals... Truth be told I am not used to it either. I have had 2 antelope tags in my life before this... Both NW Colorado and both archery and both were filled. I am happy to actually trophy hunt since WY is such a great state for hunters...

17-Aug-20
Looking forward to following along! Any better pictures of “Buster”?

17-Aug-20
Sadly no when I first found him, he gave me all sorts of looks at his right side. When I decided to try and snap a pic, he kept circling left and never gave me a good pic angle. I am sure that we will cross paths again. My son is definitely making me look at him again before season is over...

17-Aug-20
Love the pics and great story so far! I hate coyotes as much as anyone but being a dog lover as well I'm 100% sure I could not have shot the pup either. When he grows up he won't be so lucky.

17-Aug-20
Nice photos....good luck and make memories!

17-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Sadly the winter kill was pretty bad in the area this past winter. Especially on the lopes and the deer, but also for some elk..
coelker's embedded Photo
Sadly the winter kill was pretty bad in the area this past winter. Especially on the lopes and the deer, but also for some elk..
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So I realized late I missed a few pics. from my phone to share... Starting first with our new yard target and stand. Bull target in a stand that my son and I built this summer. It is so nice having a quality range at home. I can get to 78 yards without using the sidewalk...

Oh and the beauty of WY is season overlap. I found this mule deer buck earlier this year and I am trying to keep tabs on him. Main frame 3 with matching kickers and a one extra... I hope I cross path with him after Sept. 1st...

17-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo

18-Aug-20
Looking forward to reading more, thank you for posting! Kids add energy to every hunt.

18-Aug-20
This looks to be a fun one to follow. Thanks for sharing with us!

18-Aug-20
Great story and wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing!

18-Aug-20
Looks like a great time with more to come! Looking forward to following along.

18-Aug-20
Looking forward to following along! One tiny thing- please put a couple paragraph breaks in the long passages. Makes it much more readable for those of us following on a phone.

18-Aug-20
This should be good!

18-Aug-20
Going to be a fun one to follow! Great pics!!

24-Aug-20
So second weekend was a bust... We ended up trying to finish up a shed project for the back yard so Saturday was shot. Sunday we took a drive into a unit where I have a doe antelope tag and it was just so hot, smoky and miserable. We did find a few water holes to hunt but we did not find hardly and lopes. At last light I think we found where they are concentrated as I saw more in the headlights than we saw all day. So I will be heading back out that way after work later this week. Sorry a slow week but this weekend I plan on a full hardcore hunt...

24-Aug-20
Keep um coming.

25-Aug-20
Following with anticipation of blood and bone.

25-Aug-20
Love it. Thanks for the write up!

29-Aug-20
excellent photos

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Still have to brush even when hunting...
coelker's embedded Photo
Still have to brush even when hunting...
coelker's embedded Photo
Great camp that first night. Even heard a bugle!
coelker's embedded Photo
Great camp that first night. Even heard a bugle!
coelker's embedded Photo
Not the best photo but a solid desert bull
coelker's embedded Photo
Not the best photo but a solid desert bull
coelker's embedded Photo
The boy is great to have run out and check for water... This water hole had the carcass remains of another hunters good luck...
coelker's embedded Photo
The boy is great to have run out and check for water... This water hole had the carcass remains of another hunters good luck...
This last weekend was a really good weekend. No dead critters, but a fun time none the less. We left the house around 6pm after work. And drove through until just after dark. We set up the tent on the side of the county road and enjoyed a great night of stars.

We have been using this little Eureka back packing tent without the rain fly. It is awesome, you can see the stars get good fresh air and it takes seconds to set up and take down. Just like sleeping on the ground minus the chance that you might wake up snuggling with a buzz worm…

Just before 5:30 am I swore I heard a bugle. Followed by a bunch of coyotes etc. Needless to say sunrise was great and from camp I was able to glass several bucks. After taking a quick look around, there were no bucks around that I was really interested in. As we glassed we ended up seeing the source of the bugle. A solid 6x6 bull was feeding. Not the best pic, but my phone scope is on its way…

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
elk here?
coelker's embedded Photo
elk here?
coelker's embedded Photo
one shed
coelker's embedded Photo
one shed
coelker's embedded Photo
from the truck
coelker's embedded Photo
from the truck
coelker's embedded Photo
28 yard chip shot on this little guy got the pass
coelker's embedded Photo
28 yard chip shot on this little guy got the pass
After seeing the bull we spent the next several hours looking over hundreds of goats and a bunch of bucks. We travelled roads and glassed, and travelled some more… We ended up finding a few elk sheds then soon after found a small herd of elk. Crazy to think they can make a living in such a place…

The first weekend we were out we found a freaky looking buck. In our travels we went back through his area and found him. Not a ½ mile away we found a little better typical as well.

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
little guy that my son stalked with the camera for fun
coelker's embedded Photo
little guy that my son stalked with the camera for fun
coelker's embedded Photo
My son testing the idea that you cant lick your elbow... Made me laugh..
coelker's embedded Photo
My son testing the idea that you cant lick your elbow... Made me laugh..

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
tall but no mass and no cutters...
coelker's embedded Photo
tall but no mass and no cutters...

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Freddie has a pretty cool horn set.
coelker's embedded Photo
Freddie has a pretty cool horn set.
coelker's embedded Photo
Mundo is really close to 80 but just short I think. A great buck especially spot and stalk archery
coelker's embedded Photo
Mundo is really close to 80 but just short I think. A great buck especially spot and stalk archery
coelker's embedded Photo
Mondo and Freddie actually have a fence that is the dividing lines between their territories. They don't like each other much
coelker's embedded Photo
Mondo and Freddie actually have a fence that is the dividing lines between their territories. They don't like each other much
coelker's embedded Photo
If it rains run to town and get ice cream... Cookies and cream for the boy
coelker's embedded Photo
If it rains run to town and get ice cream... Cookies and cream for the boy
The first weekend we were out we found a freaky looking buck. In our travels we went back through his area and found him. Not a ½ mile away we found a little better typical as well.

We watched both from a nearby knob. For several hours. Finally the freak buck decided to get out of his bed and head to water (same water hole we sat last time out). To get to the hole he went through a few humics (dunes with taller plants and different soil structure). I snuck into the humics and assumed he would take the same path from water to his home range. It worked really well, but just no well enough. When he went into the pond I ran 200 yards to the closest humic to his trail I was 20 yards short of my goal when he came back out of the water hole. I was in the open and sat down and held still. After a 20 minute stare down he decided I was nothing and started back on the trail. Remember how I was 20 yards short of my goal. Well he ended up walking past me at 54 yards. I never really drew on him but I was able to get my bow up and had he came through in better range it would have been great.

That evening we looked over some different country as the bigger buck laid in the wide open all day. Saturday afternoon the rain came in. Luckily it missed out little area but both north and south it got pretty crazy. Hail wind, lightning etc. While it was crazy we decided to run into town and get an ice cream and refuel. Not really needed but it was a nice break from glassing…

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
oops wrong pic
coelker's embedded Photo
oops wrong pic
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Seems like every year we have a cool experience with a military air craft. This year we watched this copter making some pretty amazing low altitude maneuvers. Not sure why there but it was cool
coelker's embedded Photo
Seems like every year we have a cool experience with a military air craft. This year we watched this copter making some pretty amazing low altitude maneuvers. Not sure why there but it was cool
Saturday night we decided to set up on the knob overlooking the bucks we had found earlier. By this time we had given the names of Mondo to the big typical and Freaky Freddie to the non-typical. Both are mature bucks and Freddie might even be a little past prime. As the sun set there were still storms around and the wind was picking up. We made a quick meal of sausage and noodles. When it was done we fought to set the tent. 20-30 mph winds play havoc on out ability to get set up. The weather said the wind would dies down in about an hour. Well 4 hours later it was calmed down. The next morning we woke up and immediately found mondo making his rounds and scrapes. Then a few minutes later we found Freddie making is morning routine. We rolled up camp taking extra time to shake out all the sand that had blown around etc. Mondo ended up bedding in a huge flat with nothing around him for 200 yards in every direction. Freddie did the same. We sat behind the glass and looked over everything for few hours while the sun rose and the wind started picking up. As we neared lunch neither buck had gotten up and both were content. We decided to make a trip into a new area and come back later to see if they changed at all.

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
1832 is likely the birth year as it was too early for settlers etc.
coelker's embedded Photo
1832 is likely the birth year as it was too early for settlers etc.
coelker's embedded Photo
imagine over 100 years ago what it was like here... What was occurring in the world and if this person even knew?
coelker's embedded Photo
imagine over 100 years ago what it was like here... What was occurring in the world and if this person even knew?
coelker's embedded Photo
Usually my son giggles at naked lady art by the sheep herders, but this was a classy place... Rock art
coelker's embedded Photo
Usually my son giggles at naked lady art by the sheep herders, but this was a classy place... Rock art
As we did our trip I took my son over to a cool little historical sight.

The rocks have been carved by many over the years. Some names are long gone, come are newer. The earliest names are most likely from sheep herders that started in the area around the very end of the 1800s and early 1900s. These rocks are about a mile north of the Cherokee Trail crossing in blue notch. The Cherokee trail came through in 1849. The trail was named and pioneered by Cherokee Indians who saw great income potential by hauling stock and supplies to miners. Many also sold everything they had on the reservation to strike it rich in the 49 gold rush. They initially started following John Fremonts Trail until they were just south of Elk mountain. They ditched the Fremont trail and eventually the Oregon trail and blazed tier own trail across the red desert. The group was not all Indians, they teamed up with a group led by Evans who were also heading to California. For the next year several members of the Cherokee Nation would sell everything and leave the reservation, prompting the tribal leaders to run a smear campaign against California.

1850 would see the trail pick up traffic and it was somewhat popular until 1858 when the railroad went through.

Fun history… There are a few places where modern roads follow the trail and several places where you can see the ruts from the wagons. After our little history visit, I decided that 10 years old is old enough to start working a clutch and my boy got the keys and the wheel for a section of 2 track. He will get better as the fall progresses. He was more than excited and the 20 minutes behind the wheel made his week.

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
it is a cool rock outcropping...
coelker's embedded Photo
it is a cool rock outcropping...
coelker's embedded Photo
Boys like to climb
coelker's embedded Photo
Boys like to climb
coelker's embedded Photo
Good luck? I seem to think so
coelker's embedded Photo
Good luck? I seem to think so
coelker's embedded Photo
When glassing the boy likes to look for prizes... Bot fossils and petrified wood from our point
coelker's embedded Photo
When glassing the boy likes to look for prizes... Bot fossils and petrified wood from our point
That afternoon the wind really started to pick up and made things difficult. I asked the boy several times if we should just head for home. He was set that both Freddie and Mondo would eventually make a mistake. So we sat in the wind and it blew and blew.

After an hour plus Freddie got up and moved a bit. He milled around and eventually made his way to a sage patch that provided an almost perfect stalk set up. So we jumped in the blazer and drove a mile closer and parked out of sight. I closed the distance and eventually found him at 20 yards. Sadly the little rise between he and I block his vitals as we stared at each other. He eventually made haste. My second close encounters with him.

We drove back to the point and looked around. To get from Freddie to the point we drove right past Mondo who was still in the same bed as he started in that morning. As we passed he stood up and milled around. As soon as we got back to the point he started making a path into some humics and opened a door for a stalk so we hauled butt to a location and I started to run across the plain I made it a whole 30 yards before he stepped out into the open and nailed 200 yards out. I tucked my head and headed back to the blazer he spooked a bit but not bad. So we drove back up to out lookout and set up the tripod and scope again. I glass and can’t find Mondo. Find Freddie way out in the flat.

Then as I scan I can just see the horn tops of Mondo in the sage. After I busted him he bedded down in the perfect spot. I mean literally if I could pick any bed within 5 miles tis would have been it. So as soon as we got the spotter and chairs out we loaded back up and drove back around and hid the blazer and I made the stalk. It was maybe 10 minutes from when we found him to when I knocked my arrow and peeked over to where he was…

But he was gone, 100 yards out he was with a doe and fawn. The buck that spent 8 hours in bed and watched lopes around him all day suddenly felt social. With the wind pounding and the buck paired up I felt it was over for the day, but decided to try any ways. As the fed I slowly started to make progress in the little cover I had. I managed to knock off about 20 yards when the buck decided to bed again and in his new bed I could barely see his horn tops. So when the doe was head down I would move. Did this for a few minutes before she disappeared??? Must have bedded also??? Not sure but with her out of sight I move again and make the distance to 60 before she steps out. She was in a small cut wash. She is 45 yards out with her fawn feeding he is bedded at 60. I move a touch here and there when her head is down. Then he stands up. She eventually makes out that I am not right.

She circles me with her fawn at 30 yards trying to figure out what I am. All I need is for him to follow, but he never does. The doe eventually vacates the areas and he sees another buck a mile away and decides to go chase it off. I was so close and yet so far away. That ended out hopes. Both our target bucks in the wide open and the wind howling… It was a great weekend…. Probably our last Lope weekend until rifle since Elk opens tomorrow…

31-Aug-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Son took one last road shot on the way home

31-Aug-20
Cool Rob, fun following along - you guys are making some great memories. Looking forward to more. Bob

31-Aug-20
Great trip!

You better show us some more pics of your rig.

31-Aug-20
cool thanks for sharing. remember my days with my girls.

31-Aug-20
Great story....We do some work in the Wamsutter area. I've always wanted to spend more time exploring out there, but I always seem to be too busy...keep it coming.

31-Aug-20
Good stuff man! He'll never forget these times

08-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
1978 Cmaper that was bought new by my grandpa... I sure love this little camp and 4 decades of memories with it...
coelker's embedded Photo
1978 Cmaper that was bought new by my grandpa... I sure love this little camp and 4 decades of memories with it...
coelker's embedded Photo
Man it is dry and the cows have hammered this area... But Snow is falling as we speak!!! Wish I was on the mountain rather than work
coelker's embedded Photo
Man it is dry and the cows have hammered this area... But Snow is falling as we speak!!! Wish I was on the mountain rather than work
coelker's embedded Photo
Son took a few minutes and a dozen shots with his air rifle. Man that thing is fun to shoot and accurate
coelker's embedded Photo
Son took a few minutes and a dozen shots with his air rifle. Man that thing is fun to shoot and accurate
So this weekend was our first out for WY elk ever. Man I love WY hunting... On Thursday after work we packed up our little hunting camp and dropped it off... The spot we wanted had already been claimed, luckily I had alternate spots. While at camp my son got in some time shooting his air rifle. He is very excited to find some grouse...

08-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Morning Pitstop for the little guy... HAHA!
coelker's embedded Photo
Morning Pitstop for the little guy... HAHA!
coelker's embedded Photo
Like I said paths have to be chosen carefully. This was early but coming down the boulders was definitely a challenge...
coelker's embedded Photo
Like I said paths have to be chosen carefully. This was early but coming down the boulders was definitely a challenge...
coelker's embedded Photo
The son packed his air gun with hopes for grouse. Snack time meant target practice. All of us love shooting it...
coelker's embedded Photo
The son packed his air gun with hopes for grouse. Snack time meant target practice. All of us love shooting it...
coelker's embedded Photo
Checking the trail camera really provided hope. This bull plus a good mule deer were caught... Exciting? Heck Yes!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
Checking the trail camera really provided hope. This bull plus a good mule deer were caught... Exciting? Heck Yes!!!
Friday night after football practice and dinner we left for camp. We got in bed and were a sleep by 11. Which is really a record for me as no matter what I do it always seems I am up until super late preparing and double checking etc. Well In hind sight we should have stayed up and double checked.

Alarm sounds at 5 am and we get up and moving. Things were going great until I noticed my boots were absent. Asked my wife, she swore she put them in, but they did not make it up the mountain at all. So opening morning was to be hunted in a $10 pair of Walmart clearance sneaker. As a side note, I am now carrying said sneakers as stalking shoes in my pack, they have a soft foam sole and are quiet as anything I have wore for stalking.

At first light we are leaving camp a little late, but luckily it was only 10 minutes in the blazer to our spot for the morning.

We left the blazer in good spirits and then fought the "suck". The area is a mess with boulders, cliffs, blow-down etc. You have to chose path very carefully to get around with any sense of stealth. With 3 of us and one being a 10 year old, stealth was lost due to the extremely dry conditions. We worked out way to a trail camera I set back in July.

This summer got away from me and I only made 2 scouting trips and only set one trail camera in the unit. Kind of old school hunting and in someway I really like its simplicity.

That moring we found good sign, a few rubs, and the trail cam produced signs of both deer and elk. It also had Photos of a huge cow moose. We called and worked a loop. Having hunted the area I have since decided that we need to do everything in the exact opposite direction. At noon we finally found elk and bumped 2 groups one with a very decent 5 point but the ground was just to dry to have any chance at contact.

At lunch time we loaded up in the truck and ran back to town for my boots. We covered 4.5 miles in the "suck" my ankles and balls of my feet were sore but not horrible. My boots made it so much better. Also visiting home meant we could shower... Bonus!!!

That after noon we got back to camp late and immediately headed to another spot I wanted to hunt. The drive took a little too lang and we arrived at the spot about 1 hour before dark. We got out and were trying to make a plan with swirling winds, and no real idea what to do... My son was getting squirelly and could stand it so he grabbed the bugle and let it rip as we were unpacking bow and backpacks. He got an immediate response that way too close. The chaos erupted as the bull bugled back hard. The wind on the point was swirling and we were at the blazer in the wide open. We dropped down 60 yards off the top and set up. Another bugle and second bull answered across the way. The wind was bad and in our attempt to get around the wind we ran square into a small herd. They blew up and took both bulls and everything else with them.

Lesson learned by my son... DO not bugle until everyone is ready. AS it got dork we heard 2 more bulls bugle one small ridge over. A good start, nothing absolutely amazing but good...

08-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
New Normal? 50 miles from pavement and 70 miles from town and still seeing this crap!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
New Normal? 50 miles from pavement and 70 miles from town and still seeing this crap!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
Bulls were quick to exit as soon as we found them, smart enough to cross into unit 100
coelker's embedded Photo
Bulls were quick to exit as soon as we found them, smart enough to cross into unit 100
coelker's embedded Photo
Someone shoved a whitetail into my thread...
coelker's embedded Photo
Someone shoved a whitetail into my thread...
coelker's embedded Photo
Cows in the desert...
coelker's embedded Photo
Cows in the desert...
Despite the chaos Saturday was a good day. The unit we have has a lot of variety. We have ground in wilderness areas and all the way out to desert. For Sunday morning we headed to the desert to see what was happening out there... It is wide open and flat, as I feared the elk in the area were spooky and inaccessible by a bow hunter. Sorry for the crummy pics, but I wanted to provide proof of the desert elk. The bulls were easy to see and judge a good distance because the antlers were bone white.

The sunrise was crazy due to all the smoke. I have a feeling the last of them for 2020 since we have 6" of snow and it is still falling...

We did end up seeing 7 bulls and 27 cows/calves in the desert... Good morning of scouting (not really hunting)

08-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Sunrise was weird due to all the smoke
coelker's embedded Photo
Sunrise was weird due to all the smoke

08-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
My boy playing dress up and with make up!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
My boy playing dress up and with make up!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
All done up for the big dance
coelker's embedded Photo
All done up for the big dance
coelker's embedded Photo
Early on calling in a spike. He got to 18 yards before blowing out...
coelker's embedded Photo
Early on calling in a spike. He got to 18 yards before blowing out...
Sunday for lunch we grilled up bruats and had salad we started the annual UNO game in camp and things got heated. Soon it was nap time for the adults and the boy who slept all morning got time to explore and pack around his pellet gun.

For Sunday night we had a better plan to hunt where we blew up all the elk the night before. We of course needed to mix it up a little so it was make up time for the family... The son does not understand that face paint can go on light...

The plan was awesome, but the elk had decided to change things up. Early in our evening we had a spike show up. It was lucky that my wife gave it a pass. We found some great feed areas, water and trails to bedding despite an early lack of elk action the afternoon hunt was a blast. We made a loop in the area and headed towards the little canyon where we heard 2 bugles late the night before...

I am going to break for a bit and share some back story... My wife was a city girl through and through until she met me. She was born and raised in the Denver area and her outdoor activities were capped at occasional fishing trips to cherry creek, a horse back ride where she found out she was allergic and a camping trip where they got flooded out and her brother dropped his oakleys in a forest service outhouse.

For the last 17 years she has grown and became an amazing outdoors woman. Every year she takes on something new. Despite all she has accomplished, she carries with her a burden that I can't get her to shake. She is always trying to conquer an unseen enemy. She works hard to impress me and does not want to disappoint me or have me disappointed in her. It has been hard on both of us at times, but also an amazing gift. It provides her with drive and motivation... She started actually archery hunting about 5 years ago, and in all those years we have had many close and amazing encounters, but something always goes wrong. All I want for her is success and to have fun, but she seems to put extra pressure on herself... Over the years she has taken several animals with her rifle and called in tons of elk for my archery. She has one archery kill, which was a doe antelope from a blind.

As the sun was setting we stood atop a small rock outcropping. The evening was silent wind was perfect for what we did. But again the elk had all disappeared. In a last ditch effort I decided to let out a last bugle before heading back to the vehicle... We got the low groan of a bull from below. I let out a few cow calls as she picked a spot to set up and my son and I went up the hill 100 yards to call. I never hear her shot and only an elk crashing through the trees followed her calling.

We gathered and replay the situation. It was literally the first time she has ever had a bull in range. She was a mess but was confident in her shot. We sit a 1/2 hour. We get out our flashlights and start to trail. The bull ran away from her in an absolute crap hole of down timber. She described the shot as very good and in the ribs up and down was just below mid body. The arrow buried to the fetching. We went on his trail for about 40 yards before first sign of blood. She kept explaining what should have been a great lung kill shot. So I was hopeful that we would find him in the dead fall where we heard all the crashing.

The blood was not heavy at all and in the 100 yards of dead fall there was only light drops, no heavy blood and no bubbles from lungs etc. After the bull made it through the dead fall we followed his trail up hill another 60 yards to a ridge top where he lost the arrow. The arrow was covered in clean blood tip to tip. No bubbles and again not heavy blood, no clots etc.

After the arrow fell out we lost the blood trail in the dark entirely. It had been almost 2 hours since the shot and the trail was just not visible at all. We marked the location and backed out for the night to return the next day.

She was upset of course. She was afraid that I was disappointed in her, and worse she felt as if she had let her son down. After all he was calling it in for her etc. We returned to camp and after a few tears and reassurance we got a little sleep.

08-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
arrow was clean blood no guts
coelker's embedded Photo
arrow was clean blood no guts
coelker's embedded Photo
Arrows was covered entire length
coelker's embedded Photo
Arrows was covered entire length
coelker's embedded Photo
We left the blazer with packs and anticipation... Returned with disappointment!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
We left the blazer with packs and anticipation... Returned with disappointment!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
Shot placement she said was maybe 4" below the grey mark on this photo? Any thought? Has to be liver right?
coelker's embedded Photo
Shot placement she said was maybe 4" below the grey mark on this photo? Any thought? Has to be liver right?
The next morning we were up early and ready to haul out meat. I kept asking the questions about placement and kept replaying it all as did she... I was convinced we would find the bull in pretty short order.

We left the blazer with the packs and optimism.

We went back to last blood and looked and could not find any thing at all. Tracks alone were impossible to follow simply because it was so dry and had been so long since it rained. There were tracks everywhere...

From where the arrow fell out it was nearly 80 yards before we found any blood, and even then it was 3 little drops as he crested a ridge into a new drainage. Again we followed the trail and lost all blood and in the sage park his track got mixed in with a bunch more.

Again no blood for over 80 yards until I found just a spot on a rock as he left the sage park. He entered another set of dead fall where the blood was again minimal. In my years I have shot 2 bulls I have not recovered. Both were in the brisket and both bled more than this and both had bedded at least once in the first 600 yard of blood trail. We were over 600 yards on this trail with less blood and the tracks did not appear to break stride. I have also hit one bull in the liver and the blood from that shot was significantly heavier and the bull only went 80 yards before he bedded the first time (it took 14 hours for him to die but never ran, and only went 230 yards total).

At about 600 yards the blood stopped entirely, the area where is stopped was covered in tracks fro the night before. We spent the next 4 hours looking griding and searching. Te storm was starting to build so I ran my wife and son back to camp so they could eat clean up and pack for heading home. I returned to the search for another couple hours until the winds was breaking trees off and the snow and lightning began. Never found another drop of blood, never found a bed where he laid. He covered 600 yards with out breaking stride and I have had bloody noses that bled more...

After reviewing everything and having my wife point exactly where she hit I am convinced she was behind the lung and did not hit the liver very hard if at all. I can explain it, just crazy that he never once slowed down, and never bedded and the arrow went through etc.

So our opening weekend was a mix of good and bad. I feel for her, and this is truly the very first animal she has ever hit and lost. She is normally very lethal, she is patient and takes a good shot every time. I just think she pick a spot too far back, and despite not have any guts and clean blood, she just missed anything extremely vital. Since it has snowed and the wind is blowing etc. I will o back up this weekend and look again hard to find the bull.

08-Sep-20
I have had some very similar life experiences with my wife as well. Nothing makes me happier than her being successful and never have I worked harder to recover her animals. I, too, am never disappointed in her if she doesn't kill an animal but I know she puts added pressure on herself. I don't think there's anything we can do to prevent that. Best of luck locating her bull and enjoy the rest of the season!

15-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Good view in the morning with potential until the atvs and crossbows showed up.
coelker's embedded Photo
Good view in the morning with potential until the atvs and crossbows showed up.
So I spent another 8 hours this week looking for the bull my wife hit. Thursday night I saw a bull about 2 miles away through the glass that was up feeding and looked identical to the bull she hit, it had a wound in an area where the arrow had been. He was not moving fast but was near water and feeding. We tried twice this weekend to locate him on the hunt, but no luck. So I am not sure what to think, 4 days laters and he was up and eating and drinking, but was completely alone..

So this weekend (Second Archery weekend my wife was on call and could not hunt. Friday night I went to camp solo. The storm that blew in on Monday messed things up. In many ways. Had caught 5 mice in traps over the week and then caught 4 more over the weekend.

Friday night I hit up a willow creek bottom, no elk or deer.

Saturday morning I went up to a small chunk of BLM surrounded by private, no elk anywhere just "Cross Bow" Hunters Driving ATVs, smoking cigarettes and yelling over the machine noise. Good thing I had low expectations. Saturday morning back into town, Son had a football game. Playing safety he had a few tackles and 1 interception. Spent the midday working on the yard and then headed to hunt that evening.

15-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The snow was so heavy and wet it was packing unreal... A spade shovel of snow was easily 6-8 pounds.
coelker's embedded Photo
The snow was so heavy and wet it was packing unreal... A spade shovel of snow was easily 6-8 pounds.
Saturday evening. The weather the week before got crazy. Wind and snow and cold. Most in the west experienced it to some degree. I feel like we got absolutely hammered by the storm. Both wind and snw wise. Most of the snow melted in a couple days, but where the wind went to work things might not open up until spring in a few spot.

Satirday night we decided to head south into a new area that has lots of mixed ownership. 2 hours before dark I spot a group of bulls a long ways off and between us was mixed ownership. So we take off in the blazer hoping to get close before dark. With 45 minutes left of light we got on a small 2 track that would allow us to get within 600 yards of the feeding bulls. Things were going great, blazer was busting drifts and working hard, then bam a drift that was way deeper than the rest. Took us just over an hour to dig out using the last of the light and the flashlight to get out. No elk, nothing but cold and wet. This caused us to retreat to the house and not go up to camp. Dang storm.... My blazer does not get stuck often but when it does it is stuck stuck...

15-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
our morning hike up the road
coelker's embedded Photo
our morning hike up the road
coelker's embedded Photo
My callers and Grouse hunter...
coelker's embedded Photo
My callers and Grouse hunter...
coelker's embedded Photo
Road Block... I carry a saw but this was a couple hours of work and the 1st of 3 piles in the next mile.
coelker's embedded Photo
Road Block... I carry a saw but this was a couple hours of work and the 1st of 3 piles in the next mile.
coelker's embedded Photo
the largest upturned root I have ever found...
coelker's embedded Photo
the largest upturned root I have ever found...
So Saturday night home to shower dry clothes and regroup for sunday. Sunday morning the boy and I get back up at 4:30 am and load up in the blazer with certain place in mind. Things were going well until just before sunrise we hit a roadblock. Again that storm really messed with our access and the country. Luckily in this spot no atvs or anything were making it around so we just added extra distance to the hike (an additional 1.5 miles each way).

That morning the sunrise was pleasant and despite lots of elk tracks no luck before sunrise. As the morning went on we would run into 3 groups of elk, seeing a total of 20 cows+ cows calves and 2 spike bulls and a small rag horn. It was a great morning as my son called in a calf elk to 3 yards from me and only 8 from himself.

I seriously can not explain ow destructive that storm was... There are thousands of down tress in the area now. Not little trees either. We saw entire stands that were 80 yards wide 100+ long there were all snapped off 6 foot from the ground. There are places where we were hiking before that are now 6 foot deep with dead fall.

In the pics. The one is of a root from a fallen tree. The largest on I have ever saw. On the one wallow we had 4 trees fall on top of it. Just creazy.

15-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Old wallow detroyed by trees found a new one...
coelker's embedded Photo
Old wallow detroyed by trees found a new one...
coelker's embedded Photo
The ground is either rocky or deadfall. There are not many places that are easy to navigate. I am finding a few like this ridge...
coelker's embedded Photo
The ground is either rocky or deadfall. There are not many places that are easy to navigate. I am finding a few like this ridge...
Sunday afternoon we wore completely wasted from the morning hike. The blow down is killer on knees and hips. We made a quick lunch and took a nap in camp. That evening I picked a new area that should be an easier hike. It was easier and a good area. It took us an hour plus of hiking to find and sign but when we did it got heavier as we went further in... Just before dark we finally hit the mother load. For the last 45 minutes we worked a very large bull in the timber and 2 other rag horns. They were screaming left and right. The big bull was glunking all over and things were awesome, excpet for that damn storm.

We got with in 100 yards of the big bull and his cows and they were heading out way until the got stuck in the dead fall. So we watched them for the last 20 minutes of light trying to figure out how to get out to our meadow area. All the while the bulls were screaming and just trying to join our cow party and bugle fest.

They never made it out... As we headed out in the dark with our flashlights we could still hear the group on the ridge calling and working. We will be heading back for that bull for sure...

21-Sep-20
Well I believe the time has come to seek a handle name change from coelker to wyoelker... Details to follow...

21-Sep-20
Looking forward to it!

21-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Pano shot are cool but lack details... Lots of country to see
coelker's embedded Photo
Pano shot are cool but lack details... Lots of country to see
coelker's embedded Photo
on the way up my son decided that this has to be a lucky moth. The moth stayed with us all night until after dark. He liked my pack
coelker's embedded Photo
on the way up my son decided that this has to be a lucky moth. The moth stayed with us all night until after dark. He liked my pack
Friday night rolls around. I spent one more night after work looking for the bull my wife had hit earlier in the year and still no sign, no birds nothing. I am still somewhat convinced I saw the bull up feeding and eating a week ago around 2 miles from where he was hit.

Friday evening rolled around, I am really struggling with family vs hunting activities. My wife opted out of the evening hunt leaving the afternoon to just my son and myself. By the time we got showered, loaded etc. it was 5:00 pm. Luckily, I always have a few random spots for after work or short hours. an hour after we left the house we were a 1/4 mile into the woods with some decent daylight left in a totally new area. Since it was going to get dark and the wind was blowing pretty steady we opted to go straight up to a little peak and glass and listen for the evening. The view was very good when we arrived on top. Sadly just as we topped out, I realized that the glass was back home... So much for glassing all the parks we could see. To the west where we just came from was a long open ridge, to the north was series of sage flats that ran a ridge/saddle line between 2 drainages. To the east was steep nasty cut that dropped quickly into timber and some aspen. The wind was dumping hard into this cut.

We sat for a few minutes and of course in the distance we start seeing elk, but without glass that is all we can tell. From out point there is a rocky ridge heading east on the north side of the deep cut.

As we sit my son get restless pretty fast and starts bugling and par-coring on the rocks. About his 3rd bugle we get a response about 800 yards down the cut in the aspens. He gets excited and comes running over. The problem is to make a move we will need to drop in a 1000 yards and loose 1400 feet in elevation. Not the end of the world but we were trying to decide if we could make it before dark.

21-Sep-20
Time was getting short and the decision to drop down was not easy. My son decides to bugle again and see the response. The bull down low fires back instantly, then William cuts him off and gets him really pissed. At that we decide we better go. As We gathered our stuff we hear a branch break really close and down wind from us. My son freezes as we are in the wide open on top and I tell him we better mover there is an elk close. He stands up to move and all I here is "oh crap dad" and he turns to run past me with huge eyes... I get up to my knees and see antlers just over the narrow ridge we were on. My son ran back 20 yards around the point and started calling. I try to crawl down a touch our of sight of the bull who surely saw us and some how came in from under our wind.

I slide down about 10 yards and knock and arrow and range what I can see. I sneak up a little more and cant see the bull.

My son still calling, and I see the bull starting to circle wind. When he first appeared he was right at 60 yards out, definitely too far out considering the stiff wind we had. By the time I relocate him he had came another 20 yards and was trying to figure out how to get across the rocks to us.

At this point I could tell his sides did not match up but he was a solid 6 on one side...

He circles to our left downhill and into a small patch of stunted growth pines. I whistle/chip and he stops perfectly broadside at 40 yards. with his vital in a perfect V of the trees.

21-Sep-20
Loving this story! Can't wait to see what is next.

21-Sep-20
I draw, and as soon as my string touches my nose the pins were perfect, 40 yard pin right where I wanted it. I release quickly and watch the arrow fly into the v of the trees. on a perfect line until the very last second we have problem. I lose sight of the arrow and see a mall twig fly into the are. The bull jolts into the trees about 40 yards away and stands for a few minutes.

I replay what happened as he slips off out of sight. The arrow was on a perfect flight until the last foot.

We wait 30 minutes and it is just getting dark. We slip down from the ridge and to where the bull was standing. I look back and replay the event and find a small twig that was freshly cut. We go about 10 feet in the direction of the bulls travel and see my arrow. Obvious that it was a passthrough. But I do not like the sign... Not lung or heart for sure, but did not stink like guts, but looked like guts.

We follow the track to where the bull stood for a split second no blood at all... As we whisper I look up and 80 yards in the trees I see the bull stand from a bed and slowly slip away...

We pull out in the dark. In over 20 years I have only twice hit an animal and not recovered it. One was a brisket shot and last year I hit a bull on the last day squarely in the shoulder then on the bottom of the brisket. Last year has haunted me in the worst way...

21-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Sneaking through every 2 step stop and glass.
coelker's embedded Photo
Sneaking through every 2 step stop and glass.
coelker's embedded Photo
the meadow where my wife and son sat... This was from where I spotted the bull laying..
coelker's embedded Photo
the meadow where my wife and son sat... This was from where I spotted the bull laying..
Friday night no sleep, alarm set for 4:30. need to beat anyone up to the spot so they don't blow out my bull. I am still at a loss for what happened. When we arrive at the trailhead 2 others are getting ready to head in and we tell them the situation and they gladly agree to head in the opposite direction.

We reach the peak as the sun rises and sit and listen and watch. We glass everything we can see hoping to see him from a distance instead of walking up on him. Nothing. The time comes to face my fears.

About 80 yards downhill from where we last saw him is a small meadow, it is the easiest and quickest route for a bull to escape. I send my son and wife to the bottom of the park and set them up opening they might get a shot at the bull if he exits the stands of trees he was last in. I take up the track going extra, extra, extra slow. 2 step and glass everything 3 times, then 2 more steps and glass everything... Blood on the track was very sparse, and in the bed we bumped him out of there was one little clot the size of a silver dollar. Not good at all...

I ease up in the general direction he was last seen. By now I am just 60 yards from the park where I sent my wife and son. Again stop glass, and look, listens and move another 2 steps. It is then the emotions got to me. I look up and see the bull.

21-Sep-20
Great story so far can’t wait for the rest!

21-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Spooted with the naked eye, I looked past him several times with the glass... Crazy how hard they can be to see even from 20 yards...
coelker's embedded Photo
Spooted with the naked eye, I looked past him several times with the glass... Crazy how hard they can be to see even from 20 yards...
coelker's embedded Photo
from the front...
coelker's embedded Photo
from the front...
coelker's embedded Photo
my sons face says it all... Accomplishment, pride, determination etc. He has been hiking 10+ miles a day and was certain we were not going to find the bull...
coelker's embedded Photo
my sons face says it all... Accomplishment, pride, determination etc. He has been hiking 10+ miles a day and was certain we were not going to find the bull...
I yell out in celebration then sit down and wait for my wife and son to join me. It was great, my sons first called bull and the relief felt was unreal. It was 7:44 am and almost exactly 12 hours from the last time I saw the bull slipping in the trees.

Total distance traveled was less than 200 yards from shot.

21-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
the boys got it done... 6 on one side and bust skill 5 on the other with good brows a devil tine..
coelker's embedded Photo
the boys got it done... 6 on one side and bust skill 5 on the other with good brows a devil tine..
coelker's embedded Photo
My son insisted on packing the head. His pack did not fit well and the wind on top was raging, but he carried the head just over 1.25 miles to the blazer.
coelker's embedded Photo
My son insisted on packing the head. His pack did not fit well and the wind on top was raging, but he carried the head just over 1.25 miles to the blazer.
We took a few pictures and started to get to work. At 9:15 we had the bull all broke down in bags. The pack out was 200 yards straight up and just over a mile of along somewhat steep open down hill.

First trip out my son and wife split all out equipment and I carried a hind quarter on my shoulder.

Second trip our I took both front quarters, both back straps, both tenderloins and all the neck, rib and burger scraps... It was way heavy. My wife took a hind quarter and my son took the head...

Just a note, my wife does not allow me to take the lower leg off until we are out of the woods. She needs the extra length for leverage. With it attached she can handle and move the hind quarter. If it was just me the legs would be gone.

The entire elk was back to the blazer by noon.

21-Sep-20

coelker's Link
For 10 years old he has a lot of grit and very little quit... He fell a couple times and needed mom help regaining feet etc. I had the pack down as tight to him as I could get, but heads are a mess. I also forgot all my parachute chord so we were force to ratchet strap him in. My son got a work out for sure...

https://youtu.be/gHEIaPIgYbk

21-Sep-20
Good weekend. Now to add a little variety to our hunts this weekend, I am going back after lope and mule deer...

21-Sep-20
That boy has Grit!! Congrats on the bull. Looks like lots of adventures ahead for you and your boy.

21-Sep-20
What an awesome story of perseverance, from all the storm issues to finding the bull! You’re son is very blessed to have a dad like you and we’re blessed to learn from and read your stories. Thanks and well done! John

21-Sep-20
Great story, thanks for sharing. The young man looks like he's hooked for life!

21-Sep-20
Great story! But where did the arrow hit him?

21-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
It is tight but you can squeeze a bull in a blazer with your wife, kids and all your gear... My daughter when she was 6 nick named the blazer gut pile... My jeep is strawberry...
coelker's embedded Photo
It is tight but you can squeeze a bull in a blazer with your wife, kids and all your gear... My daughter when she was 6 nick named the blazer gut pile... My jeep is strawberry...
So as I play everything back, my arrow definitely deflected at the last second. the arrow entered the 4th to 5th to last rib at a hard angle, it exited the guts on the far side right in front of the rear quarter. Luckily it hit one lung, center punched the liver before going into guts.

There was almost no blood at all, maybe 10 gumball drop sized splats total plus the small clot in the bed.

Also I always take a pic of the blazer we affectionately call gut pile. On the back gut pile showed that we had a lot of close encounters that the elk won, but finally we got on the board..,

21-Sep-20
What an awesome story of perseverance, from all the storm issues to finding the bull! You’re son is very blessed to have a dad like you and we’re blessed to learn from and read your stories. Thanks and well done! John

21-Sep-20
What an awesome story and a perfect outcome! Your son is turning into one heck of a young man! Congratulations to you on your bull and to you and your wife for raising a great outdoors family!

21-Sep-20
Great story, and congrats on your bull!!

21-Sep-20

24-Sep-20
Congrats and thanks for taking us along!! I was rooting for your wife to find hers. Sometimes things don't pan out, but the hunt is still extremely successful. You and your wife are doing an amazing job raising a family!! Juggling activities and hunting is a lot of work. And you still have tags to fill so good luck!!!!

24-Sep-20
Thanks for sharing. Well written too!. Glad things are working out in the new state.

24-Sep-20
Thanks for sharing your story I really appreciate it. Congrats on the elk but more congrats for your great family!

24-Sep-20
That was just wonderful and uplifting for sure. A family that hunts together, sticks and loves together. Nicely done all around. My best, Paul

24-Sep-20
WOW, just tremendous to watch you and your family making memories. That video ---- Ha, I'm still smiling - love it!!!!!!

25-Sep-20
Awesome stuff there!! Can I hire your son to call for me next year? Congrats on a great season so far and looking forward to more!

25-Sep-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So here is the deal with my son. I love it, but holy crap am I afraid of my future. I am working out now and trying to get in better shape. Given his current level of dedication and fitness, I see a lot of pain in my future. Growing up my father, was always limiting in how we could hunt. Not to say anything bad, but if it was not with in a 200 yards of a road we would not go. As a kid early on when I was hunting. I would be told things like don't look down there we wont even bother with anything in there... It was always so limiting and frustrating that in some way I began to resent hunting with my father. I love him do not get me wrong and will cherish all our memories, but when I finally went to college and could hunt "MY" way, I spent significantly less time with my father and more on my own. I still make it a point to hunt with him as much as possible (usually help him fill his tags) and now that I am older and have proved to him how to pack out animals and that I have his back he hunts a lot more places and works a little harder.

From my feelings and how we hunted when I was younger, I made a promise to myself to never be the limiting factor on a hunt for my kids. So far I have made it work, and someday I will be more baggage than help but when my son is old enough to hunt I want him to be able to hunt he wants and where he wants. I don't want to be the limiting factor.

I am sure others can relate, I still love hunting with my dad, but I really really really love hunting with my kids and wife.

This weekend I am heading to look for a mule deer and a lope. Wish me luck...

This is one of my favorite pics. My best friend from high school and son on the look..

25-Sep-20
Let me just say this. I am now sitting over a waterhole I have killed 3 bears at and seen some elk but not the first spot I’d choose to try and kill a elk. My daughter is with me who is a senior in high school. It is the fifth year she come along with a bear rifle tag. She badly wants to kill a bear. Seems if she not here I see bear but together lucks not been on our side. Next year she is off to college could be our last mountain hunt for a while. She also got a antelope tag and a deer tag latter in the year. Just typing this is emotional being this will be last year of hunting with her at least as a kid.

I guess the point is don’t worry about limiting him just enjoy the next few years they will fly by. You can always start shifting the weight to his pack if you are having trouble keeping up! Your way of doing might not be your dads way but he obviously started the passion for you. Sound like you have done the same with your kid.

12-Oct-20
So since this has been going and seasons have changed. I will be finishing this thread through the rifle seasons. If you are a die hard archery hunters, please stop at this post and enjoy the thread for what it is and what we accomplished on the archery hunt.

Living in WY we have the somewhat unique ability to hunt archery first then switch to rifle. So as this story progresses forward all hunting will be mainly Rifle Based. However I have sprinkled in several archery attempts while wearing my orange.

12-Oct-20
Keep it coming, coelker! If someone doesn’t want to see what you post, they can just close the thread.

13-Oct-20
Agreed, bring it on. It's been great so far, looking forward to the rest.

13-Oct-20
Great bull and story! Congrats!

13-Oct-20
Congratulations on a great bull with the family! Keep it rolling! I’ll keep coming back for more!

15-Oct-20
Yep, keep it going!

Just to comment on your earlier post I have had similar feeling and can honestly say hunting is the number one reason I'm in decent shape. 8-10 years ago I was NOT. I walked into a gym and told the owner I can't hunt the way I used to and I want to be able to do a lot more hunts with my son. My wife and I go to the gym 5 days a week. At 52 I'm in better shape than I was at 30. My 26 year old son and I have a LOT of hunts ahead of us! Work at getting and staying in shape now, you won't regret it.

15-Oct-20
It has already been said, but what a story of perseverance ! You and your family are gonna have lots of great memories ! Well done, well done !

16-Oct-20
Don’t care at all if you post rifle hunts. I enjoy the posts about your family hunting together. That boy is going to be hell on them WY critters.

14-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Glassing first light from one of my favorite spots... Love this country
coelker's embedded Photo
Glassing first light from one of my favorite spots... Love this country
coelker's embedded Photo
I was a long way off but found a buck bedded in the last set of trees below me. Long ways off and all I could see were antler tops...
coelker's embedded Photo
I was a long way off but found a buck bedded in the last set of trees below me. Long ways off and all I could see were antler tops...
coelker's embedded Photo
Found the shed off a buck I saw years ago... On my way to get a closer look I find several sheds...
coelker's embedded Photo
Found the shed off a buck I saw years ago... On my way to get a closer look I find several sheds...
coelker's embedded Photo
Right before I blew it.. Confirmed he was a shooter and had a great plan... But made newbie move...
coelker's embedded Photo
Right before I blew it.. Confirmed he was a shooter and had a great plan... But made newbie move...
Sorry all seasons just wrapped up.... What a season I had... I will try to cut out some of the fluff and get to the points...

So my wife had one more day to archery hunt the Sunday after we packed out my bull. She however woke up sore and said parts of her body hurt that she was not aware even existed. So the last Sunday of archery we stayed home, cut some meat, took care of house stuff and had a good family dinner. Just before dark I loaded the truck and headed 3.5 hours south to look for a general deer.

Typically I have 20 days of scouting into my deer tags and by the time I tag out I have well over 30 days of scouting and hunting into my bucks. This year since I have a really good lope tag and a good elk tag, I had only spent 1 morning pseudo scouting while chasing lopes.

So as I left the house the plan was simple drive to one of my favorite ridges that typically has a few deer and sleep in the truck bed until the next morning. The night was breezy, but very comfortable. By the way I ended up buying a Thermarest Mondo-king air pad. This was a great in between pad for my use. I have a queen sized air mattress that I like, but it is big and bulky and requires an inflator. This pad is great for just me… The next morning I get out of bed and get dressed. From my camp sight I go about a ½ mile to a really good pinch point and glassing spot. In a typical year I can find several deer from this spot. The trail here leads up a little finger ridge that the deer use to access the river bottom. Usually packed with tracks and a trail cameras show 10-15 deer using it nightly. This morning no fresh tracks, and after a ½ hour no deer. Not good. So I make a plane to circle in the pinon juniper back to my truck and see if I can find anything.

About 20 minutes into my circle I discover why the lack of deer… 5 vehicles drive through and go about 600 yards past my location and start working. They have a couple trailers and equipment to rework a pipeline. Dang, luckily my circle takes me away from the hustle and bustle. About 8:00 am I am glassing the shady sides of tress and spot antler tips. A decent buck and a forky bedded down on a point. But unable to really see the situation I opt to circle the bucks at 800 yards trying to sort out how they were laying etc. As I circle I am also to see the bigger buck and considering that deer were a complete after thought this year he was a dandy 4x4. I move into a spot about 200 yards out to get one final look before making a stalk. The wind meant I needed to approach the bucks from behind them and with the trees between us. From my current location I could range the buck’s bed likely escape route and most importantly my last cover. Everything was under 50 yards are very doable. I can’t believe my luck a good buck in one of the best stalking locations I have ever had…

Then stupidity struck. I sneak back out from my spy point and make a huge error and pay dearly for it. I had a tree between myself and the deer and had to go around a large rock. Not paying attention on the way in I went around the north side, on the way out I went south side. End result was my big fat head was skylined and in view of the buck. They blew out… So I short cut to the beds and check the tracks. Easy to follow fresh tracks hauling balls away. I pick up the track and start to follow. Sort out where they went and start still hunting the track. A couple hours pass and several hundred yards. I felt as if I lost the tracks, but still had an idea where they are headed. About the time I give up and get sloppy they bust out at 40 yards and no shot. Damn screwed up again.

I know now my chances are horrible and abandon hope as they run away. So I revert back to original plan and push forward. One thing about this country is I find some amazing sheds and lots of them. This morning in particular I find over 20 sheds and a few worth keeping. In fact the entire morning I was jumping from shed to shed that I glassed up. When I found the 2 bucks I was headed to a shed I glassed.

14-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The back seat of the mega cab folds down and makes a nice bed... Especially when there is a 30 mph wind
coelker's embedded Photo
The back seat of the mega cab folds down and makes a nice bed... Especially when there is a 30 mph wind
coelker's embedded Photo
More sheds found...
coelker's embedded Photo
More sheds found...
coelker's embedded Photo
Even found sheds next to the truck... This one was not visible from the truck in the pic. But found as I cam back from glassing...
coelker's embedded Photo
Even found sheds next to the truck... This one was not visible from the truck in the pic. But found as I cam back from glassing...
The big front forked 3 is a buck I have a history with. If he is still alive I spotted him the first time over 6 years ago when he was 4. The shed I found was from the previous year. In his prime his front for was way bigger and the back point was less than an inch a apart. I was excited to find his shed. I have pics of him from years ago. I am pretty certain that the winter last year would have killed him.

Around 10 am the sun is up high it is hot and dry. I am ready to short cut back to the truck when once again I jump the 2 bucks completely on accident. They haul but away, but as they go they kick up some other deer that have no idea I was around. One of which was a mature 3x3 around 28” wide. A great buck. I play cat and mouse with him and another 22” 4x4 for about an hour in the trees until the winds switch and blow them out. What started a pretty slow and disappointing morning became a pretty darn good experience.

For that evening I back out of the area and hit few more spots I really like. At last light in a little honey hole I find 3 bucks, one was a 25’ 4x4 still full velvet and the other 2 were dinks. With light fading and crazy wind I have no real option but to sit and watch. Reflecting on the day the 3x3 was by far the best buck and he was in a pretty good area. So the next morning I was going to look for him. When the other bucks ran I had a good idea where they kicked the 3x3 out of his bed. Sunday night the wind was raging. I opted for sleeping in the back seat and skipping the truck bed as the low was supposed 31 degrees and a constant wind of 20 mph. So I slept in the back seat warm and comfy.

The next morning I dive back into where the 3x3 had been. I am slipping through the junipers and slowly working towards the area I thought he would bed. As I am walking down a little sand wash, I realize and start to think that the best bed in the area is in the wash I am walking. So I slow way down. About 20 yards later I round a little cut and the buck is bedded 12 yards away. As soon as I see him he sees me. And blows up. I knock and arrow as he runs out hoping he will stop. At 51 yards he stops and look back… All I can see is head and rump… Darn no shot. I freeze for a long time while he sorts out what to do. He decides to slip away into another canyon, I run about 800 yards to get above him on a trail where I think he might head. I sit and wait with the wind right it could work out. Wait longer and despite being able to see a bunch of country from where I am at, I do not see him. So I figure he was long gone. I try to still hunt my way back to the bed just in case he was between me and it. About 100 yards later I blow him out for the final time. He was actually walking up the trail I was sitting on but ran out of patience. As I looked at his tracks it was obvious that he was taking the opportunity to feed his way up the trail.

That would conclude my archery deer hunt. Lots of action for 2 short days. That night on the way home I tried a few antelope spot and stalks but the wind was raging.

16-Dec-20
Heads up the next entire section is called the suck... It was a hard grind, Opener of Rifle elk on Thursday... Had the time off and made a 5 day hunt out of it...

Thursday morning we opted for a 1 mile hike in the dark and to hit a good area. No bugles no calls nothing. We slowly start making our way across country. About an hour into day light we are maneuvering through a blow down thick patch of aspens. I let out a couple cow calls to help cover our noise. A few seconds later we look up and there is a great bull 20 yards away in the trees. As soon as we know he is there he knows we were there… He blows out and despite our efforts we do not get my wife a shot. She was shaking and my son was amped up. I never saw his antlers but both said he was really big… We continue our hunt calling and hunting in and out of little parks. At 10 am we hit the end of our travels on the south slope. We sit on the ridge above a small canyon and bugle and cow call for 20 minutes. No answer. Nothing. So I decide to let the 10 year old have a go. On his first bugle he gets an answer. No way! Lucky little turd! We move up the ridge towards the call. For next 20 minutes we call back and forth to this bull. The wind starts getting really bad and we back out 200 yards cow calling as we go. We set up looking over a little sage flat and make a few more cow calls and wait. Seconds later a bull comes running to the edge of the flat. I had assumed my wife would have had her gun up and on sticks and ready for this exact situation. But no she was caught with her gun in her lap. As she struggles to get into shooting position the bull locks up at 90 yards. Right as she raises her gun the bull spins and is gone. So opening morning 2 close calls already.

We leave the south slope and slip into the timber on the north slope… What a mess and huge mistake. The storm in early September made the timber an absolute mess. It takes us 5 hours to make it back to the vehicle. The only reason why we went in was to get a trail camera. Climbing over tree after trees, making tons of noise was horrible. We did call in a cow elk and a spike. But it was definitely not worth the effort. The only reason we pushed through taking 5 hours to get out, was to retrieve my one trail camera…

That evening we headed up to our north ridge. An area that is covered with tracks every single time we go. We work up to the last open areas we can before we run into the massive dead fall. We sit until dark listening. As the sun sets we have a cow show up in the timber about 90 yards out. First of October cows have bulls. We get excited call a bit. The one Cow turns into 3, then in 5. This small group feeds out in front of us at 80 yards. We wait until dark and never see a bull. They were all alone. Still really cool to watch.

Friday The next morning we get up even earlier than the day before with goals to try can catch the 2 bulls we encountered in the open before… That doesn’t work as planned, at first light we run into 2 spikes. Both looked very tasty and both gave us multiple shot opportunities as they followed our cow calls around like lost puppies. We saw a couple deer and nothing else. No bugles, no calls, no cows nothing… By this time I had pushed both my son and wife to the breaking points. Over 14 miles in a day and half and 5 of those were the absolute worst blow down I have seen.

To add to our barriers we had a huge bright full moon and balmy temps. Lows in the upper 40s and highs in the 70s. It was shaping up to be a huge grind. A long afternoon nap turned into an afternoon of driving roads and checking holes no elk found but a few deer...

16-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
I liked the meadow but the elk did not...
coelker's embedded Photo
I liked the meadow but the elk did not...
coelker's embedded Photo
Where we did not have blow down the forest service had done massive habitat treatments. It is a mess... A couple years it might be epic!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
Where we did not have blow down the forest service had done massive habitat treatments. It is a mess... A couple years it might be epic!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
A spot that should have had elk. In fact we did have a bull come in hard here but my wife never had her gun up...
coelker's embedded Photo
A spot that should have had elk. In fact we did have a bull come in hard here but my wife never had her gun up...
coelker's embedded Photo
Fun place to sit and watch the sun set...
coelker's embedded Photo
Fun place to sit and watch the sun set...
A few pics from the suck...

16-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
This little bull hung out with us for 20 minutes at under 50 yards and was as close as 12
coelker's embedded Photo
This little bull hung out with us for 20 minutes at under 50 yards and was as close as 12
coelker's embedded Photo
So my son wanted grouse but settled for pine squirrel... He had to clean it all himself and cook it
coelker's embedded Photo
So my son wanted grouse but settled for pine squirrel... He had to clean it all himself and cook it
coelker's embedded Photo
He even saved and cooked the heart... One little tasty bite
coelker's embedded Photo
He even saved and cooked the heart... One little tasty bite
coelker's embedded Photo
He ended up picking it really clean. His mom is not a fan of squirrel meat, but said she could it eat if life or death only after having a taste!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
He ended up picking it really clean. His mom is not a fan of squirrel meat, but said she could it eat if life or death only after having a taste!!!
Saturday So the next morning we head into our same areas and make a huge loop. This time no elk. Nothing, not even a spike. The weather was getting warmer etc. Our hot spot had ran cold. We did a little exploring found some good water and feeding area, etc. We also found a great point to sit on and to watch from. I seemed like a prime spot for elk to feed into view in the evening. That evening we leave the truck and head on a short cut into the point overlooking the feeding area and water. We sit all night and nothing shows up. We could see a fresh rub. We saw fresh sign on the way up but nothing shows up before light. Except this little bull moose which fed past us at 20 yards. He spent almost 20 minutes feeding with in 50 yards of us. We all sat quietly and enjoyed his company… Sunday The next morning we head back into our north ridge area. At first light we leave the vehicle and 100 yards in we spot a small 4x4 rag horn. I could have easily killed him, but by the time we got things sorted out he had ran away unharmed. We work the Northridge area finding elk sign as we go. We head all the way up to the big blow down where we had found elk before and nothing. We decided to cross the blow down. On the other side of the timber patch that was nasty was a point. We crawled up onto the point and let out a bugle. And get a response a good response. We call a bit more and it becomes apparent that the elk was not moving and likely hanging out in a little aspen patch about another mile and half up.

So we make a plan and close the distance. 1 mile of hell to get into a better position. By now we were over 4 miles from the truck and had crossed 3 miserable blow down. We get above the area where the bull was bugling from with the wind right and let out a few calls. Nothing. A few minutes late we hear the bull call from a ways above us again. Another mile in at least. We were spent. It was nearing 11 am the sun was up, it was hot and miserable. We sat and cold called a bit and ate our snacks. Just about the time we are giving up we catch movement in the trees below us. A good 5x5 walks out at 200 yards. I am doing the math in my head and I can’t let my wife shoot. We were a long ways in. We knew we had several blow downs to cross. It was hard but I told my wife we had to pass. If it was a monster bull or her best bull yet I would have let her shoot. But since it was just a normal solid 5 we could find anywhere in any OTC unit I made her pass. That did not make her or my son happy at the time. By the time we got back to the vehicle, both realized just how far the pack would have been and just how much crap we would have to crawl over. That day we get back to camp. My son had been packing his pellet gun all season for grouse. Never seen a grouse. He had been itching to kill. He had been bugging me all month about shoot a pine squirrel and eating it. I told him he had to eat it if he killed. His mother was not so approving. So when we get back to camp I head over to the neighbor camp. They were great guys from Oregon and had been hunting hard. They never got an elk. 4 of them spent an average of 9 points. They were in elk but like us the blow down and the heat and full moon was brutal. I was visiting with them and about 5 minutes later my son comes into camp packing a head shot squirrel. Since he shot he cleaned it, and he cooked it. He ever kept and ate the heart. He used Montreal steak seasoning and grilled the little thing. I ate pine squirrel one time in high school, just to prove I could if I needed too… It tasted like, pine. My son picked his pretty clean. I snuck a bite as did my wife. We both agreed, we could eat it if needed but will not o out of our way. My son as soon as the one was done wanted to shoot more and eat more.

That evening was our last. We decided to go the easy route and walk up to the lookout point over the water and feeding areas. We sat for most of the evening. Nothing came out, then suddenly my son got excited said bull…. Then repeated Bull moose. We sat and watched as this young bull fed past us at 10 yards. He never really paid us any attention for over 20 minutes we glassed and watched as he fed. No elk just a cool story about the moose. Monday The next morning we got up did a small hike/hunt and then returned to camp to take it home. I got a chance to say good bye to the Oregon boys and visit with them before heading down the mountain. We had a good 4 ½ day hunt.

16-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
I was looking for this buck spotted in August
coelker's embedded Photo
I was looking for this buck spotted in August
coelker's embedded Photo
feels like another planet and not deer country
coelker's embedded Photo
feels like another planet and not deer country
coelker's embedded Photo
I spent almost all day hiking into every little hole I could find. Only found a few doe...
coelker's embedded Photo
I spent almost all day hiking into every little hole I could find. Only found a few doe...
I still had a full week off work and an antelope tag and a general deer tag. I love antelope meat, but my truest passion is finding big mule deer bucks. So Monday night I slept in my bed, but my favorite hunting area is a good 3 hours from home. So I am up and out of the house at 4 am. Drive straight through and end up in my deer unit, which happens to also be my antelope unit. At first light I am glassing a grassy bottom with lots of water. In the bottom I find, lopes, elk and deer. But nothing I am willing to hang my tag on. I decide to focus on deer. Antelope are plentiful and unless I see an absolute gagger of a buck I can wait until I have my family or at least my son to harvest a lope. Just as the sun got into the sky I pulled up onto a ridge where earlier in the summer I had found a cool 3x3 with kickers. He was a solid buck and I am certain no one else would have known he existed. My plan was simple, to kick every single nook and cranny until I turned him up or ran out of places for him to be… I worked this bad land area hard. From about 7:00 am until after 3:00pm I hiked and moved. My onx showed I walked a little over 12 miles zig zagging back and forth into all the little cut canyons etc. I found 6 deer. 4 doe and 2 fawns and that was all. Exhausted and wasted I opted to sit a water hole that night and only saw a single doe. This happened to be the very last day that this unit was open for the rifle hunt. So at dark I drove 2 hours into another unit. The beauty of being a WY resident. If you willing to move around the state you have good opportunities to keep hunting on a general deer tag. So around 9:30 I got to my new spot.

16-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Sleeping on the ground is a little unnerving in rattler country. But I was tired and got a good sleep
coelker's embedded Photo
Sleeping on the ground is a little unnerving in rattler country. But I was tired and got a good sleep
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
nap time while waiting for the deer to get up
coelker's embedded Photo
nap time while waiting for the deer to get up
coelker's embedded Photo
The deer are in the cut banks some place... There is actually 2 in this photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The deer are in the cut banks some place... There is actually 2 in this photo
It was an area I know really well and just 2 years earlier produced a good buck for my daughter. I opted to camp right where I planned to start my hunt at daylight. It was still pretty nice out, but the temp was supposed to drop. Low wind and no moisture. So at around 9:30 I put my grill away and crawled into bed. Sleeping on the ground is great. Luckily the temps were low enough I was not too worried about Rattle snakes which are common in this area. I slept pretty well that night. About 2 hours before daylight I hear the faint hum of an ATV. Not much later the atv went flying by heading up the ridge I planned to hunt. The road I parked on goes up about 4 miles and dead ends at the private. 10 years ago when I first started hunting here there were 2 little side roads that each went a ½ mile. That was it. Since then the atvs had made a bunch of side roads and the 4-5 miles of roads has turned into almost 20 as they have driven everywhere and on every ridge etc. Regardless after the first ATV passed I decided to sleep in a bit until I could actually load up camp into the blazer without using a flashlight. Well before that happened, I had a line of vehicles pass me. As it became hunting light I there had been 14 vehicles pass me… I start up to my first glassing spot and see 2 more camps above me with who knows how many in it. Needless to say just way to many people… The few deer I did see were running like hell and the 30 or so minutes I glassed all I heard was constant engine noise. I decided I needed a new plan. There are 3 larger walk in areas in the unit but all were a ½ days drive away. Before I went that way there was a spot my buddy and I had talked about for years. We agreed it had potential but never ended up hunting it. It was only 30 minutes away and I had a chance to catch something up before it bedded. As I bounced my way that direction, I found a group of elk with 3 bulls and the herd bull was a decent 5x5. I drove towards the spot and as I neared I found 2 doe and 3 fawns. I watch them for a bit and determined they were all alone. The spot is a sage bottom that normally has water. It is a cut bank bottom with tall sage. It is dry and badlands etc. As I crested the last ridge that gave me a good view into the sage bottom I looked towards the bottom and see a group of deer about a mile out. I dig out my spotting scope and get it up. There were 8 or so doe feeding to the cut bottom. I scan with my spotter and catch a quick glimpse of a buck slipping into the cut bottom. It was fast and I could not tell exactly what the buck was, only that I needed to get a better look to determine if he was a shooter.

I thought about going down into the cut bank, but I had no idea where he would end up at in the 6’ tall sage, the 2-3 layers of cuts, etc. Added to it I knew there were several other deer that fed into the cuts and who knows where they would end up at. So I decided to wait him out. I perched my blazer at the end of the road overlooking as much of the bottom as I could. I was a little over 1000 yards from where he was last seen. I sat all day from about 8:00am on. 9:00 just sitting, 10:00 sitting, 11:00 dosing off I had a second vehicle and hunters show up. They proceeded to hunt the ridges above me and the buck hard. This made me nervous and as a result I shifted my position over and into the cut back draw. Thinking that if they bumped the deer they would end up using the cover of the bottom to escape. Luckily after an intense hour or so the other hunters gave up and headed out of the area. Then during the midday I changed my hunting clothes, took a spit bath, cooked some brauts, brushed my teeth. All while watching the bottom. I called my wife to give her an update…… She asked if I was hunting or planning to go on a date… 1:00 sitting watching, 2:00 watching and dosing off, 3, 4, 5, just making sure nothing happens. At 5:30 I get my pack and get loaded up. I sneak back down towards the cut banks and start glassing. At 6 I start seeing a few doe and fawns up moving, keep glassing. Soon I see the buck about 800 yards down the creek. The Creek runs mostly North to South. I was on the east side looking SW. The buck is up feeding. Since I had his location I dropped into the cuts and moved fast to close the distance. I pop up on the perfect little hump that should have the buck about 300 yards away. I am just sticking my head over and glassing… He was not there. Soon I look over right towards the setting sun and 80 yards out the buck is looking right at me. In all honesty I could have easily made the off-hand shot. But out of habit I throw my pack down and get into prone. At that the buck decides it was time to leave. I am watching in my scope as he runs and counting yards. Hoping he will make a mistake. At 300 yards and after I shifted he stops. I steady in and squeeze the trigger, again into the sun… As I squeeze my gun or elbow or something rolled. The shot goes but in the chaos I fall off my pack. My gun rolls hard etc. It sucked I had no idea what happened, usually with my shooting I watch the bullet hit through the scope. In this case the scope was nowhere close to where it was. By the time I recover I can’t see the buck at all, but I am positive I heard a solid thwack. I keep looking and see nothing. To complicate matters since I was following in the scope as the buck ran I had no real land marks at all and only my guessed range of 320 yards. I gather my things and put together a plan. Again, after the shot I saw nothing, only hear the thwack… I walk over in the general direction make 1 zig zag and see him laying there. It is a great buck and I am really happy given my season. I snap a quick picture or 2 with my phone as the sun sets. Call my wife and kids as I am hiking back to my blazer. About a 2 mile hike to the blazer then I have a 20 miles drive to get to the buck. I get the buck loaded up and head for home pulling into the drive way just after 1:00 am. The ride was cold, windows down and all vents open to help the buck cool off.

16-Dec-20
Where's the buck picture?

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Not my biggest buck, but one of the luckiest hunts I have been on...
coelker's embedded Photo
Not my biggest buck, but one of the luckiest hunts I have been on...
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Got him home pretty late and left him airing out for the night. It was a fun trip sleeping on the ground etc.
coelker's embedded Photo
Got him home pretty late and left him airing out for the night. It was a fun trip sleeping on the ground etc.
Sorry ran short of time. Here are the pictures of the Buck. Given my total lack of time and the fact that I had only treated my deer tag as an afterthought, i was really happy with the end result. It was worth the wait for sure...

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
we had high hopes for finding deer or elk but no luck...
coelker's embedded Photo
we had high hopes for finding deer or elk but no luck...
coelker's embedded Photo
Mother daughter having fun
coelker's embedded Photo
Mother daughter having fun
coelker's embedded Photo
All tucked in out of the wind and ready to glass
coelker's embedded Photo
All tucked in out of the wind and ready to glass
coelker's embedded Photo
Our Evening View... Pretty nice for a power hike after school on a Friday. I was siting in the exact same spot when I shot my bull in the archery hunt
coelker's embedded Photo
Our Evening View... Pretty nice for a power hike after school on a Friday. I was siting in the exact same spot when I shot my bull in the archery hunt
The next weekend that we could hunt was Oct. 16, 17, and 18th… On Friday after work I got home and loaded up the wife and kids. We have a spot near the house that if we hustle we can just get to hunt before dark. My daughter joins the hunt for the first time this year. We drive up and park with about an hour and half to dark. The wind was blowing hard but we hustle to gain elevation and look over the area where I shot my archery bull. Also when I got my bull I left my wedding ring on a rock… So the goal was 2 fold, go back and find my ring and find elk. Well the wind was blowing hard, really hard, We slipped into my kill location and could not find my ring. So we headed back down as it was getting dark. We had hiked in a mile and on our way down we look up and see bulls feeding across a park only 400 yards from the blazer. So the downhill walk turned into a jog. We got right above where the bulls disappeared looking over a willow bottom. We sat up watching a cow moose feeding in the bottom and let out a bugle. Immediately got a response about 200 yards away in the trees. We could easily see 180 yards in the bottom and only needed the bull to enter the willows. For the next and last 20 minutes of light we bugle back and forth and call. Eventually getting to dark to shoot. In the last light we glass another park above the blazer and see over 25 head feeding in the park. It was too late to see anything other than elk bodies. However it was a great evening with my whole family in tow. Bugling elk, heavy winds, the largest herd we saw this year etc. On Saturday we go back into the areas we hunted beginning of the month. We make a big loop in the morning and nothing no luck at all. All season we have been away from other hunters. In fact it has been amazing. Other than the boys from Oregon camped by us, we never saw an elk hunter in the woods. This weekend was much more crowded as the general deer season opened up. We hiked in just over a mile on Saturday looking for elk, we ended seeing a guy on horseback with son in there for deer and a couple other guys. Again no elk to be seen at all and not luck. At lunch time we cooked up some food and ate. Everyone was tired so I drove roads as they bounced and slept. I was hoping the added pressure from the deer hunters would have some elk out in the opens and moving. No such luck. That evening we went back to the same spot as the night before, we did the same thing. Went to the top and glassed and looked. We saw a couple cows way down in a hole but no bulls. We decided to be right by the blazer as the sun set in case the elk all fed out the same way. I had pretty low hopes simply because there had been deer hunters all around. About 45 minutes to dark we hear a bugle. For the next hour we play cat and mouse with the bugle but never see any elk. We get back into town and everyone is tired etc. The next morning I have a civil war on my hands trying to get them up to hunt. So I surrender and let everyone sleep in. We get up late and make a plan for the day.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
I hate pumpkin patches, corn mazes etc. But the kids love them so we had to go...
coelker's embedded Photo
I hate pumpkin patches, corn mazes etc. But the kids love them so we had to go...
coelker's embedded Photo
It was fun relaxing and just driving around and seeing new country
coelker's embedded Photo
It was fun relaxing and just driving around and seeing new country
coelker's embedded Photo
I got to observe and coach this one...
coelker's embedded Photo
I got to observe and coach this one...
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
We need to get Halloween Costumes and also our pumpkins. So the pumpkin patch is about an hour from our house and a ½ hour to where I have a doe fawn antelope tag. We go to the patch and waste a bunch of money… HAHA. But then afterwards we head out to look for a nice tasty doe antelope. Not long into the hunt and we find a group of antelope. 4 doe, 1 buck no fawns. Perfect. I make a quick move and put down a nice doe lope.

It was fun having my entire family with me. They all took turns cutting and skinning. We loaded the doe into the cooler and let me daughter age 14 practice driving. We listen to 80s music and look around the country. It was a good night.

I was tempted to just eat this tag, but I would have had a small uprising on my hands. Lope meat is the families favorite meat. They devour the stuff like it is going out of style. In fact it is only early December and one entire lope is already gone.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
My daughter driving and jamming out to 80s music after getting the doe
coelker's embedded Photo
My daughter driving and jamming out to 80s music after getting the doe
coelker's embedded Photo
One I should have considered harder
coelker's embedded Photo
One I should have considered harder
coelker's embedded Photo
Another buck that had more mass but not tall...
coelker's embedded Photo
Another buck that had more mass but not tall...
coelker's embedded Photo
Next day we tried for hours but never found a good buck. Eventually we headed home and had to jump around all sorts of highway closures.
coelker's embedded Photo
Next day we tried for hours but never found a good buck. Eventually we headed home and had to jump around all sorts of highway closures.
Saturday the 23rd my son and I get up early and head south to the lope unit. We spend the entire day glassing trying to find a great buck. Long story short we looked at 173 bucks on Saturday and only 2 stood out. We were expecting weather on Sunday, but I thought we could at least locate one of the 2 bucks before it got bad. I thought wrong. The weather set in and it was miserable… -3 F and a 30-40 MPH sustained wind with gust to 60. The 4-5” of snow we got was blowing all around. We worked hard all day trying to find a good buck and get a break in the weather. But we never got both. At one point we found a buck 80 yards off the road. The problem was the wind was blowing so hard I could not shoot. The ground white outs were completely blocking the shot and I was not going to shoot from the truck. We finally were tired of the fight and honestly the lopes were miserable and just holed up in the sage. We could drive within 40 yards and they would not even stand up. I felt sorry for them and honestly at that time under those condition I had no drive to take one. So after 2 days of hunting lopes and looking at over 230 bucks we headed home empty handed.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
I was happy with my last minute lope. I held out to the very end hoping for something really awesome. But good news is this lope is eating awesome... Only my 3rd Buck lope 1st with a rifle
coelker's embedded Photo
I was happy with my last minute lope. I held out to the very end hoping for something really awesome. But good news is this lope is eating awesome... Only my 3rd Buck lope 1st with a rifle
Friday the 30th was a ½ day at work for me. My wife had the day off. So at lunch time when I got home, we hustled up the mountain for an evening hunt. We went back to our spot and spent the evening looking listening and calling. Nothing but a beautiful evening on the ridge and a lack of elk. My wife admitted defeat at this point and simply said it was a great season. We had one more day to find her a bull, but it was obvious she was played out. My son had been all over with me for a couple months at this point. He was also spent. So on the last day of the rifle season I head out solo to fill my buck lope tag. I worked the glass hard and spent all day looking at lopes. Had 2 I probably should have shot but they just were not all that I wanted. As the evening moved on I found a taller buck that I really liked. I made a move and closed the distance to under 100 yards. The buck was feeding with a group of 30 others. I get set up and for the next 45 minutes I watch and wait. The entire time the buck feeds directly away from me. Just before he sky lines he turn sideways, I raise the gun and before I could settle in a doe walks directly behind him. By now the sun has set. There is still 15 lopes between us and he walked out of sight. So I bail on killing him and jump in the truck head to the same flat where my son and I started the hunt. With last light approaching I glass the flat quickly and find the best looking buck at 400 yards out. I run to cut the distance to 200 and fire my final shot of the 2020 WY big game season. I end up processing the buck in the dark and heading home that night. Not a bad first year as a WY resident.

Only thing left is a MT deer hunt for my son…

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So the Wednesday before Thanksgiving hit. At 5:00 am we were loaded and headed to MT for the general deer season. On board was my amazing wife, Daughter, Son and Mother. We drove through to Miles City getting there in decent time. It was just after lunch time when we purchased the apprentice tag for my son. Since he is age 10 he can hunt in MT as long as his mentor has a tag. So after a little planning we left the wildlife office with a general season buck tag and a b list doe white tail for each of us… We grabbed a bite to eat at the Black Iron Grill in Milles City. Definitely good food. Topped off with fuel and headed back towards Broadus. Between Miles City and Broadus we decided to scout/look over some of the random pieces of public lands. I was pretty opportunistic because we were seeing deer everywhere up and moving. We saw several good bucks cruising doe etc.

We checked a chunk of BLM, only 1 doe mule deer there no bucks, checked another chunk and there were 2 really nice 150 class bucks just off the public on the private. But they were content with 10-15 doe each. Then just before dark we found a section of state land that bordered a creek bottom. On the state land we found 30 doe… As we were glassing we spotted a buck. Not huge but big enough for a 10 years olds first hunt. We get out of the truck and the wind is howling and the clouds above are spitting a light sleet. It is cold and we are not the best dressed. We try twice to get a good shot before the buck give us the slip in the last little light we had. Pretty cool…

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
On the search for the missing licenses... Cant believe we lost the licenses and then locked the keys in the truck back to back...
coelker's embedded Photo
On the search for the missing licenses... Cant believe we lost the licenses and then locked the keys in the truck back to back...
However things go from cool to crap in a hurry. As we head into town in the dark, I realize that the licenses are missing. MT printed all licenses on plain jane printer paper this year and as a result they were huge, did not fit in a wallet and they were not water proof at all. SO they gave out little bags that were zip lock and it created a mess trying to carry my licenses and my sons. To protect them I had placed them all in a large Gallon Zip lock. Well as I was driving, I reach into my pocket, no bag. I check the door pocket and no bag. Stop immediately as our licenses were missing in action. So we turn around and go back and start the search. Flashlights for an hour plus 2 people working to find the bag in the wind and rain. No luck. That night sucked…

The next morning up early and start the search again. Cant hunt without licenses and since it was Thanksgiving, there is no way to get reprints etc. So we go back and look where we chased the buck. No luck. So we drive all the way back up to Miles city. And retrace steps. Eventually one spot where we stopped to glass at we walked both sides of the highway. About 80 yards down the highway on the opposite side from where we stopped I finally find the licenses. Huge relief. We haul back to the AirBNB. My wife was eager to get started on Thanksgiving dinner and help my mom and daughter. It was 11:30ish when we got to the BNB so we grabbed a little lunch then packed for an afternoon hunt. My son carried a load out then came back in all upset and unable to talk clearly. So I went out to find our guns, gear and the truck keys all locked in the truck. Crap Thanksgiving day, small town, no chance of a locksmith for another day etc.

Luckily the bnb had 1 wire hanger in the closet. Some hard prying on the door corner and about 40 minutes later I fished the keys out and unlocked the door.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
After some trials and Tribulations we were back on the hunt.
coelker's embedded Photo
After some trials and Tribulations we were back on the hunt.
coelker's embedded Photo
Capping off a deer hunt with an awesome meal!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
Capping off a deer hunt with an awesome meal!!!
That evening we decided to scout/hunt from the truck. We were checking little chunks of public and some larger ones. Figuring out access noting deer locations and more. We were working the white tail country hoping for a doe. We ended up seeing several but did not get any good shot opportunities. Saw tons of deer on private and tried rattling a few spots etc. We made it back to town well after dark and arrived to a great Thanksgiving meal. It was a turbulent day with a great ending...

17-Dec-20
The next morning we needed to “HUNT” so my son and I got up very early and drove almost 2 hours from town. Our plan was to hunt the only spot I could find where we could get more than a mile from a road on public. After a long morning drive we arrived at the hiking spot just before 8:30am. We grab our packs (my son has to pack his own snack, water, shooting sticks, emergency kit, and extra clothes). We leave the jeep and begin the trek. The first ¾ mile produced little sign until we hit a hardwood covered bottom. There we found a few trails with fresh sign. We tried Rattling and calling. No luck, so we moved, trying to rattle and call as we went. We found turkeys but no deer.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Great first morning sunrise. We really had a great weather...
coelker's embedded Photo
Great first morning sunrise. We really had a great weather...
coelker's embedded Photo
Found some old equipment on the Forest near the farm. Lots of turkey in this area, not a lot of deer sign but some. The deer season had been open over a month. Lots of pressure for sure...
coelker's embedded Photo
Found some old equipment on the Forest near the farm. Lots of turkey in this area, not a lot of deer sign but some. The deer season had been open over a month. Lots of pressure for sure...
coelker's embedded Photo
We tried calling in a few little places like this. Good travel trails, cover for bedding, water near by... It was fun but no productive... We ended up climbing on top of the mountain in front of us
coelker's embedded Photo
We tried calling in a few little places like this. Good travel trails, cover for bedding, water near by... It was fun but no productive... We ended up climbing on top of the mountain in front of us

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Over 3 miles in and he is leading the way up the steep nasty hill...
coelker's embedded Photo
Over 3 miles in and he is leading the way up the steep nasty hill...
coelker's embedded Photo
At lunch time we crest the top. Great views, and windy. We opt to sit on some rocks and try to eat.... But we never even get into our packs when things go from slow to awesome!!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
At lunch time we crest the top. Great views, and windy. We opt to sit on some rocks and try to eat.... But we never even get into our packs when things go from slow to awesome!!!!
By noon we had travelled 3.6 miles and not seen a deer yet. We had a specific bowl marked on the onx from my escouting that we had to reach. We had 2 options around the face and hold elevation or over the top. My son decided up and over. 30 minutes later we crested over into the bowl I had marked. The wind was howling and below was a great little sheltered area for deer. We sat on the rocks glassing for about 30 seconds when I spot a doe and good buck slipping around the corner and out of sight. I tell my son and we make a plan. We look over the rest of what we can see in front of us and only find smaller bucks in the bowl.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
The buck was in the shadows between the 2 taller dead tress. 175 yards on a steep downhill angle. My son is very controlled and takes his time to make a good shot. The buck went down left out of sight
coelker's embedded Photo
The buck was in the shadows between the 2 taller dead tress. 175 yards on a steep downhill angle. My son is very controlled and takes his time to make a good shot. The buck went down left out of sight
We move on top of the ridge and sneak into the next bowl where the doe and larger buck had went. As we slip up to the edge, we were spotted by a small buck below us. The buck is nervous and runs back into the bowl we just came from. From where he was standing we look down and see the doe watching him leave and right behind her is the buck we were after. My sons gets set up on his bog pod. He is sitting on my lap and shaking like a leaf. He can’t get steady and can’t get calm. He is whimpering/giggling in excitement trying to be quiet, forgetting to breath etc. Before he gets settled the buck steps behind a tree. We use the chance to reposition and set up again. This time we are in a better position, he is more stable and is shaking but ½ as bad. The buck steps out of the tree and is broadside at 175 yards straight down. My son settles in and is looking at the buck, he ask me to zoom in the scope from 5 to 9 power. I zoom him in and coach him on breathing and tell him to shoot as soon as he it steady. The doe is getting nervous and the time has come… I tell him to shoot as soon as he is steady. He squeezes trigger and the buck is hit hard. It turns downhill struggling to go. The doe is not sure what is going on at all. I tell my son to reload, but before we can the buck disappears in the steep nasty cut wash. We take a few seconds to calm down. We make a plan on how to approach and we sneak up ready for a shot.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
He was dead about 30 yards from the shot... My son was super excited...
coelker's embedded Photo
He was dead about 30 yards from the shot... My son was super excited...
coelker's embedded Photo
He did well keeping his emotions in check, I lost it a little more than him.
coelker's embedded Photo
He did well keeping his emotions in check, I lost it a little more than him.
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
He started off wanting to haul the head back. He made it about 1 mile then let me haul the head with the meat the other 3.5 or so miles!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
He started off wanting to haul the head back. He made it about 1 mile then let me haul the head with the meat the other 3.5 or so miles!!!
We head to the location where the buck was last seen. We look for blood none. We are a little nervous and sneak up. Right below where we last saw the buck was a rock ledge about 6’ tall. As I crested the edge I could see antler from the buck piled up. My son saw the buck next and was super excited. He went down looked it over checked it out. We took a few photos and then began the work. We were 3.6 miles from the Jeep. It was already 1pm and it was just he and I. Since it was so far in, we boned the buck out. We moved all gear to his little pack. I packed up the meat from the 4 quarters, the Back straps, the tender loins, neck meat etc. This all went into my Eblerlestock Just one pack. It was a long haul out but we made it back to the jeep right as the Full moon was giving more light than the sun.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
This was some neat country and definitely need to get back in this area...

The best part, the wife, daughter and my mom all went to billings to shop for black Friday and to get away. We were able to beat them home that night and hide the buck. When my wife called and asked how it went, I simply said poor William… He will have to tell you when he gets here…. He will be alright, at least we have tomorrow… So the girls were set up for a good surprise… It was a great day and my son was pumped.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
My son in between a few grunts and hitting the rattling antlers...
coelker's embedded Photo
My son in between a few grunts and hitting the rattling antlers...
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
We got back to the shot location right at dark. A great sunset awaited us as I headed in to look for the buck
coelker's embedded Photo
We got back to the shot location right at dark. A great sunset awaited us as I headed in to look for the buck
The next morning we get up nice and early, but the getting was slow and hard. We were both sore. So we opted again for hunting closer to town and hitting up small chunks of public. The first chunk we pull up to has a truck and 2 guys sitting on it. So we move up and just as we round a corner we find a doe white tail and a small buck on BLM ground. We try to make a move but the whitetails give us a slip. The next place has a camp with 2 mule deer bucks in it, so they were likely not hunting. But as we were turning around we saw a whitetail buck chasing a doe on the river. We head out and close the distance. As we approach a second little buck goes down the same trail. We set up on the edge of the trees hoping the bucks will come out into view. We grunt, rattle and bleat lightly. Then sit. About an hour passes and noting. By now we are both chilled. So we sneak back to the truck to warm up and find some new ground. We jump into the truck and explore the random BLM chunks getting further and further out from town. At 10:30ish we make a run about 15 miles north to a single random section of state land that barely catches the road on one corner. We decide that midday we would get out and sit on the rivers edge and rattle some, enjoy the sun, and just see what happens. We find an old camper from the 50s and check it out and set up on a pinch point. No deer come and it gets real quiet. The temps were warm and both of us take turns for a few minutes in and out of sleep.

Looking at ONX the section crosses the river a good distance and to our south on the same side of the river there is one better patch of trees to check out. So just afternoon we slip down the river edge towards the other set of trees on our side of the river. As we do so we hit a cut bank and look across from out location 80 yards into the trees and see a doe up feeding. We drop down and glass hard into the thick trees. Spot a little buck then I see a really good buck with her. However there is a ½ frozen river between us. I look at the buck and since I have never shot a whitetail I knew he was a great first whitetail. I tell my son I can’t shoot unless I know I can get across the river. I have never been in the area before and know nothing about the river. I tell William “If only I knew how deep it was.”

Right after I said that a mule deer buck comes walking out of the trees 80 yard from the whitetail. It goes directly at the river and crosses it right in front of us. Just over knee deep at the middle. Yes I can cross if needed. So now we had to get a shot. We crawl around on our side of the river maneuvering for a shot. The brush and trees were thick but after 10 minutes I find a small opening that gives a pretty clear shot. I settle in and squeeze the trigger. At the shot the buck explodes out of its bed and is last seen running dead away in the trees. The doe stands but does not spook. A few seconds go by and the doe is joined by 2 more little bucks. No view of my buck. So it then dawns on me, the river is going to be damn cold. SO we call the local stores, no waders or rafts etc. So we load into the truck and haul butt as fast as we could to Miles city. We grab a pair of waders and despite the long haul we get back just as the sun sets. We drive out to the river’s edge on a little road. I leave my son with the phone in the truck while I slip across the river and look for my buck. As soon as I crossed I was able to find the bed easily. I follow the tracks about 15 yards and find the buck piled up and stiff. I yell to let me son know I found the buck. By 6:30 I have the buck loaded into the truck and have crossed the river 3 times and were headed to the BNB to celebrate my success and the wife’s birthday.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The next morning we get up nice and early, but the getting was slow and hard. We were both sore. So we opted again for hunting closer to town and hitting up small chunks of public. The first chunk we pull up to has a truck and 2 guys sitting on it. So we move up and just as we round a corner we find a doe white tail and a small buck on BLM ground. We try to make a move but the whitetails give us a slip. The next place has a camp with 2 mule deer bucks in it, so they were likely not hunting. But as we were turning around we saw a whitetail buck chasing a doe on the river. We head out and close the distance. As we approach a second little buck goes down the same trail. We set up on the edge of the trees hoping the bucks will come out into view. We grunt, rattle and bleat lightly. Then sit. About an hour passes and noting. By now we are both chilled. So we sneak back to the truck to warm up and find some new ground. We jump into the truck and explore the random BLM chunks getting further and further out from town. At 10:30ish we make a run about 15 miles north to a single random section of state land that barely catches the road on one corner. We decide that midday we would get out and sit on the rivers edge and rattle some, enjoy the sun, and just see what happens. We find an old camper from the 50s and check it out and set up on a pinch point. No deer come and it gets real quiet. The temps were warm and both of us take turns for a few minutes in and out of sleep.

Looking at ONX the section crosses the river a good distance and to our south on the same side of the river there is one better patch of trees to check out. So just afternoon we slip down the river edge towards the other set of trees on our side of the river. As we do so we hit a cut bank and look across from out location 80 yards into the trees and see a doe up feeding. We drop down and glass hard into the thick trees. Spot a little buck then I see a really good buck with her. However there is a ½ frozen river between us. I look at the buck and since I have never shot a whitetail I knew he was a great first whitetail. I tell my son I can’t shoot unless I know I can get across the river. I have never been in the area before and know nothing about the river. I tell William “If only I knew how deep it was.”

Right after I said that a mule deer buck comes walking out of the trees 80 yard from the whitetail. It goes directly at the river and crosses it right in front of us. Just over knee deep at the middle. Yes I can cross if needed. So now we had to get a shot. We crawl around on our side of the river maneuvering for a shot. The brush and trees were thick but after 10 minutes I find a small opening that gives a pretty clear shot. I settle in and squeeze the trigger. At the shot the buck explodes out of its bed and is last seen running dead away in the trees. The doe stands but does not spook. A few seconds go by and the doe is joined by 2 more little bucks. No view of my buck. So it then dawns on me, the river is going to be damn cold. SO we call the local stores, no waders or rafts etc. So we load into the truck and haul butt as fast as we could to Miles city. We grab a pair of waders and despite the long haul we get back just as the sun sets. We drive out to the river’s edge on a little road. I leave my son with the phone in the truck while I slip across the river and look for my buck. As soon as I crossed I was able to find the bed easily. I follow the tracks about 15 yards and find the buck piled up and stiff. I yell to let me son know I found the buck. By 6:30 I have the buck loaded into the truck and have crossed the river 3 times and were headed to the BNB to celebrate my success and the wife’s birthday.

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
Making my way across the river at dark. Opted for the same path the little mule deer buck took...
coelker's embedded Photo
Making my way across the river at dark. Opted for the same path the little mule deer buck took...
coelker's embedded Photo
ummm not my photo or my buck???
coelker's embedded Photo
ummm not my photo or my buck???
coelker's embedded Photo
2 trips across the river and I have my first whitetail buck every loaded and headed to have birthday cake with my wife...
coelker's embedded Photo
2 trips across the river and I have my first whitetail buck every loaded and headed to have birthday cake with my wife...

17-Dec-20

coelker's embedded Photo
My cousins first mule deer buck in Colorado... It was a short trip filling tag opening day
coelker's embedded Photo
My cousins first mule deer buck in Colorado... It was a short trip filling tag opening day
coelker's embedded Photo
He was a trooper... Just like this photo
coelker's embedded Photo
He was a trooper... Just like this photo
coelker's embedded Photo
He was up high trying to bugle at last light
coelker's embedded Photo
He was up high trying to bugle at last light
coelker's embedded Photo
It was great being with my family on so many adventures. 2020 was a blessing for us. Hope everyone else can find the good!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
It was great being with my family on so many adventures. 2020 was a blessing for us. Hope everyone else can find the good!!!
All in all it was a great hunt. Shout out to Bigfin (Randy Newberg) the entire MT hunt was done because of his show.

I did manage to also slip down to Colorado to help my Cousin from Missouri get his first ever mule deer. Not the buck I wanted but he was happy with his first buck and considering how the CPW is managing the deer it might be a long time before guys see a buck of that size on a regular basis...

17-Dec-20
Awesome season and sure is fun getting out with the kid!

18-Dec-20
Congratulations on a fantastic season. Its a great lesson in life for the young man. Work hard, put in your time and it'll pay off eventually.

18-Dec-20
Outstanding, Looks to me like your son and daughter have great parents!!!

21-Dec-20
Thanks for wrapping it all up for us. Great stories and family.

21-Dec-20
Wow, love reading your posts about the family hunting trips. You guys are doing it right. Your son is and is going to be hell on the deer and elk. He shot a great muley and your first whitetail aint to shabby! Congrats!

21-Dec-20
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I am actually thinking about taking the thread. The story and all the pics and making a book for the family. Doing one every year going forward. They are like photo able, journals, diaries all wrapped into one...

21-Dec-20
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I am actually thinking about taking the thread. The story and all the pics and making a book for the family. Doing one every year going forward. They are like photo able, journals, diaries all wrapped into one...

21-Dec-20

• Sitka Gear