Basil 29-Aug-20
wyobullshooter 29-Aug-20
Jaquomo 29-Aug-20
Basil 29-Aug-20
sticksender 29-Aug-20
Chuckster 29-Aug-20
Basil 29-Aug-20
29-Aug-20
Guys I’ve been shooting close to 50 years. Due to age & chronic neck problems I’m having some troubles drawing my bow. Pain & weakness the 1st couple shots. After a few shots much better. I’ve been dropping my draw weight a little most years. Down about 17# from what I shot years ago but still have the weakness & elbow pain those 1st few shots. Last year it nearly cost me a nice buck. Question is any recommendations to warm up prior to practicing?

29-Aug-20
Yep, getting older certainly keeps things interesting! I deal with the same challenges you do. Due to elbow/shoulder issues, I’ve had to drop my poundage from 72 down to 57. Even at that, there are times I simply can’t draw my bow. I use a rubber tube that I got from physical therapy and use it to stretch my arms in all directions, then I stretch out by either hanging from, or pulling against, a pole. Problem is, I’ve yet to find an animal that’ll wait around long enough to do so before I take a shot. I’ll carry my rubber tube and stretch from a tree as I’m hunting and hope for the best. Good luck!!!

BTW, not being able to draw my bow on a chilly morning cost me a slam dunk 22yd shot at a nice 6pt bull three years ago. That still stings, but it is what it is unfortunately.

29-Aug-20
Same challenges for me at 66. I do a series of stretches before I head out to hunt in the morning, plus 10 pulls on a Bowfit (basically adjustable rubber tubing with a handle on one end and a wrist strap on the other)

29-Aug-20
Unfortunately most types of exercises on my bow flex that should help only seem to aggravate my neck. They recommended fusing my neck on 3 levels in 2008. Chiropractor visits & Advil have been keeping me functioning for years. This Covid lockdown crap kept me away from the Chiropractor a few months & really set me back.

29-Aug-20
Can you do push-ups? Or if not then maybe a routine of light lateral lifts with modest weight to build strength.

As far as pre-shooting, I try to always warm up with before a shooting session. Hang by the arms for 20-30 seconds. Then switch to holding the push-up position with the elbows bent for 20-30 more seconds. Then just some standard upper body, arms, and waist stretching.

29-Aug-20
I do the same as wyo and Jaq. If I'm sitting my stand I'll draw and hold once every hour however no drawing the last hour of the day. If I'm still hunting I don't do this. Just before I draw, I take a deep breath in. Maybe that might help you.

29-Aug-20
Yes I do 100-300 push-ups most days in reps of 50-75. Has helped with shoulder pain. The elbow pain is relatively new. In spite of exercise its difficult to build strength. Due to my neck in 2008 I was unable to draw my bow with my bow arm extended. Had to draw my bow against my side then once the bow broke over was able to extend my arm. Things seem to be heading back that way. Might finally have to get that fusion. Dealing with pain day & night is a battle. There are plenty of people far worse off than me

• Sitka Gear