Buglmin 30-Aug-20
HDE 31-Aug-20
Milhouse 31-Aug-20
Scar Finga 31-Aug-20
Screwball 31-Aug-20
HDE 01-Sep-20
Scrappy 01-Sep-20
29-Aug-20
Does anyone know if there are any road blockages or restrictions for crossing native lands in South Dakota, North Dakota, or Montana? I had read prior to the Sturgis motorcycle rally that some roads had been closed due to COVID fears. Not looking to stir up crap. These are sovereign lands. I'm just looking to not have unexpected detours. Thanks

29-Aug-20
No tribal agency can barricade any state or federal highway.

All the can do is set up a "checkpoint" for thru traffic to tell you to roll on through. They can shutdown a road (with authorization) that terminates at a town or pueblo.

29-Aug-20
Thanks, hard to find that info. Appreciate it.

29-Aug-20
When we went antelope hunting in early August, the Jic Apache had a "checkpoint" telling travelers to not stop in Dulce because of a COVID outbreak.

All we did was slow down long enough for them to tell us that. Jic game and fish on the west side of town, Jic tribal police were on the east side.

30-Aug-20

Brotsky's Link
There are still issues crossing the Cheyenne here in S.D. See the link for updates.

30-Aug-20
Been going on for to long.

Lewis and Clark encountered clans asking for tolls to continue up River very early in their trip. In one case even after toll was paid . There was continual harassment for more eventually resulting in gun fire and quick departure up stream. No mention of tolls on return trip as the spring current made for a much more rapid passage downstream quickly passing the tribal camps.

30-Aug-20
I would sure look into it on the South Dakota reservations. I haven't gone through myself but have heard horror stories and then again some went right through.

30-Aug-20
Again, they must recieve authorization to close any federal highway. They can't just wake up one morning and decide to do it because they have sovereignty on resevation lands...

30-Aug-20
HDE... seems to know everything about Tribal Law: Don't listen to anyone else that has real life experience or actually works for a Tribal / Sovereign Nation! HA!

30-Aug-20
So here is direct quote, and I emphasize that Tribal Nations DO NOT Fall Under this!!!

There Are No Federal Highways, they may receive some funding, but the Feds don't own them!

" The vast majority of roads in the United States are maintained by the state or lower-level agencies. However, some roads are maintained by the federal government. Most of these are minor roads in national parks and national forests, which are not listed here. However, a few roads have been developed to connect sites in the national park system or to protect routes of scenic or historic significance, and some roads in national parks or National Parkways are major enough to list roads that are part of other park service sites:"

There are VERY few "roads" that are truly Federal owned...

Has anyone on here driven across a State, or a Native Community and the highway/ roads are absolute crap? There is a reason for that! It's not owned by the Feds...

30-Aug-20
Saying they "can't" shut them down is like saying people can't speed because the sign says 55.

30-Aug-20
AMEN Glunt!!!

30-Aug-20
Just call Rip or one of the Duttons, you’ll get through

30-Aug-20
I do a lot of work in the Jicarilla, and even when they shut down the town, they can't stop the flow of traffic through the town. Same thing on the southern ute and the Navajo nation.

As far as roads across tribal land bring crap, when was the last time you drove across the Navajo nation? Highways are a joke!!

31-Aug-20
Scar, thanks anyway...

31-Aug-20
My brother was turned around in SD on a trip to Rapid City this summer.... like, told to turn around and go back. Not sure what reservation.

31-Aug-20
HDE.. You're Welcome... I tried to do it right brother!

31-Aug-20
I'll second ; Call Rip no more issue.

01-Sep-20
Scar, one question since I'm "clueless"; how come the tribes where I've drilled natural gas and oil wells could not approve the APD (application for permit to drill) and the federal gov't (Bureau of Land Management) had to? Afterall, they are sovereign so should have been able to do whatever they wanted, especially since the Supremacy Clause has no merit with tribal governments.

I'll wait patiently.

01-Sep-20
Just tell the Indians your there to play cowboys and Indians. :)

• Sitka Gear