GF 20-Sep-20
brantman 21-Sep-20
t-roy 21-Sep-20
Glunt@work 21-Sep-20
SmokedTrout 21-Sep-20
painless 24-Sep-20
Stubbleduck 24-Sep-20
18-Sep-20
I know there are other threads on this issue, but I couldn't find them.....so at the risk of being "poofed", here is my response to pop up ads on Bowsite.

Pat made the decision to apparently curb financial losses by allowing pop up ads. I think he knows some people here would object to this, but did it anyway which is his right. Eliminating the Community Forum was also his right, even though he knew it was used and enjoyed by many here.

But back to the pop ups......My response is to make certain that I do not buy any product or service advertised in the ads. Pop up ads are offensive to me, and I will not reward their use by enriching those who choose to utilize them.

18-Sep-20
Thank you for your service! Very heroic.

18-Sep-20
I am seriously thinking of buying that bow/phone thingy to mess around with at the house with the kids......never knew it existed until the pop ups

18-Sep-20
Whoop tee do.

18-Sep-20
be careful Pat might change your handle from 'Sundowner' to plain 'Downer'

18-Sep-20
“ My response is to make certain that I do not buy any product or service advertised in the ads. Pop up ads are offensive to me, and I will not reward their use by enriching those who choose to utilize them.”

So you’re saying that you are fundamentally opposed to allowing businesses to advertise to people who are the most likely to be interested in purchasing their product?

Do TV commercials offend you? How about billboards? Radio? Newspapers?

Criminy..... I suppose you’re offended by the whole Free Enterprise system, then?

Talk about your first-world problems.....

18-Sep-20
The pop ups are what they are. I just wish that dang X were bigger. I guess it’s impossibly small for a reason. ;)

18-Sep-20
Lol

18-Sep-20
Once I knew where the x was, it became a contest between me and myself to see how quickly I could hit that sucker. I won every damn time ! :-)

18-Sep-20
"Do TV commercials offend you?"

Yes, when I am already paying a monthly fee for television service.

"How about billboards?

Yes. They are an eyesore, and take advantage of a captive audience who happens to be traveling down the highway......an audience who probably PAID for the highway, and PAID for the privilege to drive on it.

18-Sep-20
Sorry if getting your thread off subject, but wanted to know where the sun in your name comes from. I get the downer part?

How much is your monthly fee for bowsite?

18-Sep-20
I've never understood how some can complain about pop-up ads or any advertising on a FREE hunting site. There are costs to the owner to maintain and operate this site for all of us to enjoy. I guess if it's that bothersome, you have the freedom to go elsewhere. Just seems silly, as they're really not that big of a deal. JMO

18-Sep-20
BOHUNTR...that’s th answer!!! Just like many free apps u have to put up with th pop up adds. Pay an annual fee and, “POOF”, there gone like TBM! 8^D Pat, can u get a fee going so sundowner and anyone else that wants to get rid of th adds can? Problem solved thanks to BOHUNTR!

18-Sep-20
Some things such as Kindle e-reader allow you an option. On one hand you can have ads presented to you and you pay less or there is the option to pay more and zero ads.

What would you pay a month for access to Bowsite forums in lieu of having pop-up ads? If the answer is $0 yet you are not willing to deal with clicking to close the pop-ups then that is certainly a dilemma for one of us.

I am not bothered too much by pop-ups here as I value the content we help create as forum users. Content that then is owned by the website. Seems like a symbiotic relationship from my standpoint. In the old days I paid for magazine subscriptions of around $12 a year for Outdoor Life, etc. I pay $100 ofr so a year for access to things like OnXMaps, GoHunt, etc.

I suppose is a good choice for some to abandon a website. I refuse to pay ESPN+ a penny and I visit there less that used to when all content was free. I used to subscribe to the ESPN magazine so is not like I am against ESPN. I just have a problem with ESPN+.

I will put up with a lot of annoyance from pop-ups or open my checkbook to learn from this community of bowhunters, though. If the community goes stagnant from people visiting less and posting less then that is a different issue and time will tell. For now, am rolling with the flow here.

18-Sep-20
What has surprised me is the number of pop up ads for which I'm already a customer! Knowing such companies support Bowsite is rewarding. Truth be known, it's likely I heard about many of the products right here on Bowsite threads.

18-Sep-20
No biggie for me. That's why God gave me an index finger. It can use the exercise!

I'll click X's all day before I have to pay.

18-Sep-20
Man, what is wrong with you entitled idiots?!??!?! THIS Site is free!!!! Get over yourselves!!!!!!! You are not that important!!! REALLY!!!! I think I posted the first thing about the popups, but it was a question!!!

Pat, maybe some ungrateful A Holes on here should just go away!!

Thanks for a great site and the opportunity to be on here! I KNOW IT COSTS $$$

18-Sep-20
So I am on saddlehunter.com and for the basic content it's free. But for full content its $15.00 a year. You guys need to give this pop up advertising a break this new post about it regularly is getting old. Just remember it's a free site. Maybe the people who don't want the advertising anymore can pay a $15 a year service fee

18-Sep-20
Thank you, Scar Finga! Some are just entitled minded folks.

18-Sep-20
I’m with Boone. If u don’t like it pay Pat to make them go away. I wouldn’t pay it! The adds don’t bug me.

18-Sep-20
Sundowner.......do you have a sister named Debbie?

18-Sep-20
That hitch looks pretty sweet and I already have more hitches than stuff to tow! Seriously, I have a few buds that own it and it’s the best there is. Lastly, the ads are no big deal. Someone has to pay for the site!!!

19-Sep-20
....Pat, please sign me up for "Bowsite Premium" to eliminate the ads. I guess we are all different.

19-Sep-20
Maybe there needs to be a premium membership that is pop up free.

19-Sep-20
Definitely think he should charge. Would deter a lot of the trolls esprit your paying money. Plus it helps keep this site afloat. Grandfather people already in but going forward charge for membership

19-Sep-20
Couple of thoughts.

First, they are not pop up ads. They are sticky ads that stick to the bottom of the screen. Pop ups which cover the screen are a non starter even though I’d make 2x the revenue on those. 4x if I allowed video ads. Not happening.

We agreed to a 2-3 month run only so I imagine these will continue during hunting season then we will go back to normal.

I am considering a premium membership option but there’s a lot of consideration necessary for that decision. Collecting credit cards numbers has security and privacy implications that I understand well. If we do it, it will need to be done right. There will always be free content here so if we go down that path and you don’t sign up you can still visit and contribute. The perks for membership will be compelling however.

I wish I didn’t have to have any ads or sponsors but it’s not feasible. The infrastructure to support Bowsite is tens of thousands of dollars a year because my traffic is so high. We never anticipated losing so many sponsorships all at once but Covid has seriously affected the archery and outfitter industry more than you can imagine. And some of the firms that weathered this situation are taking advantage of the downturn to renegotiate their rates.

It’s a mess. We’ll get through it but I bet many won’t.

Thanks

19-Sep-20
Not sure what the big deal is, I just ignore them. Like being married.

19-Sep-20
“The perks for membership will be compelling however”

Free hat with signup, perhaps!?! ;-) Limited edition, of course.

19-Sep-20
Yup covid really screw the working class people. Family’s with both dayshift parents. Either gotta hire a nanny or be a stay at home parent. Complete bs. If the pop ups keep the site going so be it. Do what ya gotta do. Really not that bad. It’s small and at bottom of screen. People just wanna complain

19-Sep-20
You have to do what you have to do. Maybe sundowner will pony up and help the site out financially? What say you sundowner? The ads were annoying for the first day or so but it rakes a but a second to close it, and the VALUE you get from this free site should certainly outweigh the ads. If not, find a new site to visit. If it helps to keep the site going then you bite the bullet and deal with it, simple. I wonder how someone gets offended by something they receive for FREElol with all that is going on in the world someone gets offended from a ad on a site they obviously enjoy and gives them great information. Never ceases to amaze me at the balls some folks Havel complain about nothing.

19-Sep-20
The ads don't bother me on my iPad but on my iPhone it takes up half the screen. Couple that with the Bowsite stuff at the top of the screen and I can see exactly one post at a time.

Not good.

19-Sep-20
I got it, Pat!! Bring back community forum and make them pay for it!

19-Sep-20
Over the years I have asked for input on numerous topics from equipment to hunting techniques and have always received great advice, totally free of charge. I have always appreciated it, thank you!

For those not satisfied you can always try and start a competitive site, put your money where your mouth is. I made a small contribution to a group of really great guys that wanted to start a site ever since the CF was shutdown. I have not been back in probably a couple of months. There were few threads on hunting, it was mostly a political site with a bunch of like minded thinkers back slapping each other. At least some of them do little to any archery hunting, and I am including a timed spinner baiting as hunting for the purpose of this post.

My conclusion, yes the CF could be fun, but the hunting related stuff is much better. And, it is difficult to beat this site in that regard, many of the best and most experienced post here and willingly give free advice. If I would pony up for a site I don't bother with any more, I certainly would this one.

And with respect to Pat for making the free market adjustments to keep this going.

19-Sep-20
Kodiak, time for a new phone bud. I am on my phone (iphone11pro) and don’t have an issue. If that tiny add at the bottom is taken up so much of your screen then it’s time to get with 2020 and get a real phone haha.

19-Sep-20
I'd have no problem helping to support Bowsite if a fee helped Pat make ends meet. If a fee was required some guys might not stay & that would hurt the site. Tough call for Pat. Whatever he decides to do each person can then decide what is best for them. The adds are easy to get rid of on my computer but are more of a pain on my phone. I make it work on both.

19-Sep-20

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Phone orientation makes a big difference.

20-Sep-20
My favourite part is accidentally clicking the ad or trying to touch the tiny X and then going to the ad! This way the advertisers will think they are getting a lot of traffic and continue to keep bowsite alive! And I’ll only be slightly annoyed...

20-Sep-20
Dude! Nobody really wants to hear about your issues with your orientation!!

;)

“ Free hat with signup, perhaps!?! “

Flat-brimmed for sure!!

You guys are just a jackpot of material tonight! Hope everyone can take it in the spirit intended.

21-Sep-20
ive yet to find the tiny x,o well have to live with the adds no biggie

21-Sep-20
brantman.....it’s in the very upper right hand corner of the add itself. It is super faint, but it’s there. You might have to hunt and peck to determine where it’s at on your screen. No idea on the phones.

21-Sep-20
I thought the small "X" was on purpose to improve our aim?

21-Sep-20
Never a fan of ads but I understand. And yes it is somewhat ironic that archery hunters can't find the 'X' to close the ads!

I do commend you Pat for not allowing videos and crapping all over bandwidth and cpu time for advertising. Thank you for that.

24-Sep-20
I agree with the OP. I just ignore them as best as possible. Definitely won't buy the product.

24-Sep-20
After a few days I've gotten to where I can hit the "x" without even looking. It has become an automatic reaction when going to a new page. Now......if in fact Bowsite gets some sort of credit if we actually pull up the ad before dismissing it I'd likely learn to do that about as automatically and quickly as the current process. Pat.....does clicking on the add do the website any good?

• Sitka Gear