Fulldraw 11-Oct-20
Rut Nut 12-Oct-20
trophyhill 12-Oct-20
t-roy 21-Oct-20
t-roy 21-Oct-20
Sand man 22-Oct-20
Rut Nut 22-Oct-20
05-Oct-20
I played PeeWee baseball when I was 6-7 years old. So I would be in the past .

05-Oct-20
I played little league. I was kind of a big deal. Let me know if you want to trade war stories!

05-Oct-20
My wife says I am a catch. So that's pretty related.

05-Oct-20
Played ball as a kid. I've been a lifelong Pittsburgh Pirates fan so that's been like getting hit in the head with a baseball bat for the last 25 or so years.

05-Oct-20
I think T-roy on here is Chipper Jones.

05-Oct-20
Little league in the 1960s probably does not count. Fan of the NYY.

05-Oct-20
Rookie league in Pikeville, KY. Cubs organization. A loooong time ago!

05-Oct-20
I was rookie of the year my first year of T ball.

05-Oct-20
Played 4 years of Div 1 baseball but that's where it ended.

05-Oct-20
Pirate organization '78-'81. A true lifetime ago!!

05-Oct-20
I’m just glad you guys didn’t think I was Boog Powell! (for you guys under the age of 60, think “a Swedish version of Pablo Sandoval”.

05-Oct-20
Making it to the Minors is tough. Let alone the Bigs. Which sport has the largest pool to draw from worldwide? Baseball, Hockey or one I’m not aware of?

05-Oct-20
Maybe soccer altitude on a world wide level. Making it to the bigs in baseball is the hardest professional sport in the US. Not only do you have to have the skills sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time. Imagine being a shortstop in the Yankees organization from 93-2010 or so.

Playing professional baseball is the hardest our of all the sports IMO. You could be the best athlete in the world and still not make it to the bigs in baseball. Much more to it than athletic ability.

05-Oct-20
That is what I’ve always heard. Baseball is the toughest to be a at that level. Hitting a ML pitch is fairly tricky.

05-Oct-20
I spent 20 years at Coors Field. Does that count? Closest I came to a big league hit was the time I almost ran over Larry Walker with a pallet of kegs. I have attended the AllStar Game and World Series too.

Sandbrew

05-Oct-20
I spent 20 years drinking Coors does that count?

05-Oct-20
I saw the Atlanta Braves in the Atlanta airport once !

05-Oct-20
Plenty of smartasses on Bowsite that is for sure!!!!

By the way I also played little league. And I think I was good enough to go pro.

05-Oct-20
I struck out 9 batters in a row during pony league around the 7th grade timeframe. Other than that, was when I hit a grand slam when I was in the sixth grade. The ballpark didn’t have a fence and I hit it out into the picnic tables between left and center field. There was poor lighting out there and my guess is they are still looking for that baseball amongst the sycamore leaves.

Scoot... I’m calling Troy, Willie, from now on. LMAO

06-Oct-20
I got beaned twice in high school by a guy who eventually pitched for the Mets, I have approximately 135 Ryne Sandberg baseball cards (among others), I hit Kirk Gibson in the leg with a paper airplane at a Dodger game when I was about 8, and I used to make contact on the 90mph machine at the batting cages...still waiting on that phone call from a big league scout though...

06-Oct-20
My Father-in-law played for the 72 reds as backup catcher to Charlie Hussle, in High School for Canon City he knocked several dingers off Goose. My wife’s cousin Benny won the HS senior kick pass punt thing at Mile High, he was a quarterback but he turned down signing when he was in Dodge City playing college ball for the Astro’s when he went to camp there while his cousin was pitching for them.

Since the inception of Baseball there are still just under 20,000 player numbers. Every professional baseball player in history together barely fill most small sports arenas.

06-Oct-20
My cousin pitched for the Cardinals farm club at the AA level if I remember correctly.

I played home talent in Madison WI. after high school till I got to old at 25. LOL

06-Oct-20
20,000 total wow. That’s approximately how many pro soccer players are active in 2020 alone.

06-Oct-20
I have a brother in law that sports a career .500 batting average against Tom Seaver. He faced Seaver twice during a college game in California. First time up, hit an "excuse me" dying quail over the 1st baseman's head for a single. Says the pitch was up and in...and he was just trying to get out of the way. Struck out on three pitches his next AB. Never faced Tom again. Hey, .500 is .500, regardless how you get there! LOL

06-Oct-20
Anyone in Boulder who rides a Bicycle was an ex-pro but those guys and gals are pretty much all Woke. Doubt they're on Bowsite.

06-Oct-20
2 Million plus guys on Bowsite every year so my guess is at least 50 are current/former major leaguers.

Based on the fun posts I’ve read above I doubt any will surface:) Fact is less than 3% of all folks on Bowsite EVER post. They just read, smile, shake their head, agree/disagree, enjoy the banter then go out and bow hunt...

PS: No sport is harder to master than golf.

06-Oct-20
Charlie, didn't Dan Reardon(Rocking R Ranch) play in college? I know some of his guides played college ball and one might have done a pro stint but can't remember for sure.

06-Oct-20
4yrs D1 and career over

06-Oct-20
My grandfather pitched against Babe Ruth in 1922 when he was 19 years old. That is when barnstorming was a big thing. He took the babe to 3-2, with 2 outs. Ruth then hit the the ball over Roosevelt school for a homerun. He was offered a contract to play for the Yankees, but turned it down. My uncle was a running back for South Carolina Gamecocks. in the late 40's. Then got drafted to the Cleveland Browns. Traded to Detroit, then to the Pittsburgh Squealers.

06-Oct-20
Babson park elementary dodgeball champion. All I got

06-Oct-20
Kyle you had some pretty impressive numbers. Above average stick and speed for a catcher.

06-Oct-20
I was above average at tiddlywinks, but passed on going pro to avoid all of the pressure to perform and be a role model simultaneously.

06-Oct-20
I DID make it onto the field at a major league game years ago, but only briefly.

Those security guys are pretty fast!!

06-Oct-20
I won the city of Fort Collins Bike Rodeo when I was 12, and that same year was named Coloradoan newspaper Carrier of the Year.

I autograph stuff at no charge if you send it my way!

06-Oct-20
This place never fails. Golf clap from me to all of you all. :)

06-Oct-20
Be curious to know how many pro athletes (of any sport) visit Bowsite? Hockey, Football, soccer, and of course, darts, golf, and Nascar.

06-Oct-20
I've played 10 years of co-ed city rec softball. Im down for exchanging hero stories. Im currently batting clean up, so move back.

06-Oct-20
Bloodtrail, congrats on making it further than 99.999% ever do in baseball. I assume you were around the Dodgers organization when Piazza was with them and seeing as you were both catchers wonder if you had any interaction with him? I always liked watching Piazza play plus I heard he was a metal head like myself back in the day. I also heard he was drafted as a favor by the Dodgers because Lasorda was friends with someone in his family (?)

06-Oct-20
I played four years college ball, had a very brief stint in rookie ball, scouted for the Reds for 13 years. Never even sniffed the show, but know a handful that did. I’ll stick to bow hunting, at least I can hit some of the time..

06-Oct-20
Going off what stats I see I'd imagine the Dodgers wanted you out from behind the dish and transition to LF?

06-Oct-20
But Lou lost his Fort Collins Bike Rodeo crown when they found out it was a e bike he was riding ;)-

06-Oct-20
Certainly not a pro at anything here... but my uncles from both parents, my dad, brother and my daughter were all college athletes. Two of my uncles (brothers) were farm system catchers for the Tigers in the early to mid 60's. One did get the call up, but was waiting his draft number to come up and didn't think he was good enough to make a career in the bigs. Hindsight he says- never got the call to fight, so he said he missed his chance to play in the bigs for a week or so until they figured out he shouldn't be there!

06-Oct-20
Bloodtrail... congrats on getting to the big show. Outside of pure talent, it must take a lot of perseverance and dedication to make it to that level.

I once read that hitting a major league fastball is the hardest thing to do in sports... the second hardest thing to do is pole vaulting.

I've played baseball my entire life. Played hardball from T-ball until I turned 20, then I switched to softball just so I could still play. Never made it anywhere but love the game. Currently crushing dingers in the over 40 beer league! LOL! (Well, except for this year)

06-Oct-20
I believe that about hitting a hardball! I played a lot of sports in H.S. and college(including pole vaulting) and always considered myself a pretty good athlete, but I could not for the life of me hit a hardball! : (

06-Oct-20
From watching baseball on TV, it seems the slider is the go to pitch for many pitchers when they need a swing and miss.

06-Oct-20
Nope...never got past high school...and I wasn't great then. I did have former Milwaukee Brewer and Kansas City head coach Ned Yost as a member of my hunting club way back. I even remember making a hunt with him. He wouldn't remember me today from Adam, but we had a mutual friend that we shared many years ago.

06-Oct-20
There are a couple guys on the Leatnerwall. Cannot remember their names. I know one shoots a Javaman bow and played outfield for the Detroit Tigers 7-8 years ago. Maybe KS Shrewman is his handle?

06-Oct-20
God, I miss baseball. I played against Mike Hampton in high school (central Floriduh). I took a flex year after high school and tried out and made a travel team. Had a great time traveling three states. Had a couple guys on that team that had seen time in the pros but injuries got the best of them, moving them down to scrub level. Got a HR off some guy that ended up playing in the NBA, Robbie somethingorother. Watched our third baseman pull a Bible out of his bag at a game one time. I asked him what the Bible was for...he had carved it out to hold a pistol. Apparently the year before a foul ball had hit some bang-bangers girlfriend in the stands and the guy started shooting out onto the field. I ended up playing for the travel team while going to college instead of trying out for the college team. So much fun! I ended up moving back to Colorado in '95 and finished my engineering degree and starting my career. So grateful to have had that time.

07-Oct-20
I collected enough splinters in High School JV to build me a selfbow.

07-Oct-20
I played all throughout my childhood and through high school. I was a good hitter as long as you didn't have too much pop on your fastball. I didn't have the bat speed to catch up to a college level fastball. Loved the game but I didn't have enough ability to play past HS.

07-Oct-20

joehunter's embedded Photo
joehunter's embedded Photo
From age 8 to 25 I caught way to many games and did way to much pre season and in season bull pen work catching pitchers in high school, college, and summer ball. I love baseball and loved catching, but now my knees are the major limiting factor in my life. Especially my out west hunting life.

07-Oct-20
My partner played high level D1 ball and his son signed this year as a pitcher with the Reds. Our minister's son had his first game this year in the majors. I consider both of those huge accomplishments.

My son would give anything to play D1 ball. His greatest limitation are his genetics and his perception of what is really hard work.

Extremely hard work, opportunity and great genetics are all necessary.

07-Oct-20
I used to pitch to a kid who ended up with the bruins in the NHL so I feel I played a part in buildings someone’s confidence via baseball to go big in life. It takes a village.

07-Oct-20
When I was 12 - 15 I played sandlot baseball alot in the neighborhood. That's what many of us kids did. Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles were who I watched. I thought I wanted to be a ball player but that was just a passing fantasy. When I was older, I remember Tim Foley(sp?) walked into where I worked and wanted to buy a pool table for his new home. I think he was playing for the Expos at the time. I thought that was cool. I may have but I don't recall if I met any other pro baseball players. FWIW I did have some junior high and high school coaches who were former NFL players or in one case a head coach of a pro team.

08-Oct-20
stick slinger, that was funny! Who was the player?

08-Oct-20
My son and I met Gary Carter and he said to him "don't be a catcher it will ruin your knees" truer words have never been spoken

08-Oct-20
I am waiting for Hawkeye to make a contribution here. As I recall, he was a pretty good ball player at the college level, but I don't know if he ever it further than that. I seem to recall him telling me that he had good bat speed, but needed better wheels.....what say you, Eyad?

08-Oct-20
Had an uncle and a couple of his sons play. The uncle was the most determined man I ever met. He used to pull a car up and down the road with a harness for exercise. He was a badass!

08-Oct-20
Jake..LOL! I will say that I did get invited to a White Sox tryout in the mid 90s and the worst mistake I ever made was reading my scouting report. 'Average' and 'Slow' were common words used and I realized at that point medicine was a better route to take;)

08-Oct-20
I still have my high school bat (a Pete Rose signature). I use it to whack hardballs and lacrosse balls to my tireless golden retriever who will find and fetch them in the woods behind the house for hours. I can still hit the ball, and throw about 70% of my former ability. At least I still have that, and my knees... :) For an old fart about to retire, I'll take it.

08-Oct-20
Played high school and college. Never made it to pros.

08-Oct-20
Paul Molitor is a distant relative.

08-Oct-20
Hawkeye,

I would have been ectastic to have been called 'average', LOL.

08-Oct-20
Yeah mine would have read sucks can’t hit a ball lol

08-Oct-20
Rattling junkie, Cameron Mann. Played a few years off and on and then played most of his time in Europe

09-Oct-20
Rattling junkie, Cameron Mann. Played a few years off and on and then played most of his time in Europe

09-Oct-20
I played 4 years at Michigan State University. Was co-captain my senior year. Broke the career triples record there (now second on the list). I played back when my coach used to bum dips of Cope from me. That's how long ago I played. Couple years after Kirk Gibson played.

09-Oct-20
Awesome, Bloodtrail.

09-Oct-20
Bloodtrail, did you play for the Jacksonville Suns? If so, I probably saw you play when you came to Jackson, MS.

09-Oct-20
I work with a guy who pitched for the White Sox. He's a big fisherman but doesn't hunt anymore.

09-Oct-20
If you listen closely you can hear “Glory Days” playing...

Chased it through undergrad with a full ride and then figured out I’d have a brighter future in investing in three years of law school.

11-Oct-20
I played fast pitch softball on the same team as Jarrod Washburn when he was in college. He went on to pitch in the majors for 12 years and I believe was the winning pitcher in two games in the World Series pitching for the LA Angels. He's a hunter and I believe he has a deer farm in NW Wisconsin but don't know if he's ever been on Bowsite.

I wonder how many bowlers we have on Bowsite, I carry a pretty high average and have bowled a couple 300 games in league...

11-Oct-20
I think I might have been the first adult pitcher that Derek Jeter ever faced. He was maybe 16 and playing with a bunch of high school all stars in our city league.

He turned out to be something very special, but I was 38 and could still throw pretty good. I think I gave up 2 hits in a complete game. Don’t remember if he got a hit.

11-Oct-20
Yeah, but you were a catcher, stick ;-)

11-Oct-20
I played college baseball D-3 and won offensive player of the year batted lead off and ended the season with a 473 batting average. As a fishing guide in MN. I had Max Sherzer in my boat last year and Josh Hamilton a few years ago. Putting Max on a bunch of Pike, may have built his confidence enough to win the world series last year. At least that's what I'm going with?? He was a cool dude!

11-Oct-20
Go Dodgers. ??

12-Oct-20
DANG! Who pizzed in your cornflakes yesterday ground hunter?! ;-)

12-Oct-20
Did you make any appearances in Isotopes Stadium? Or was that during the Albuquerque Dukes days you played? I’ve seen a lot of Dodgers play over the years. Now we are stuck with the Rockies farm team

21-Oct-20
Pete in Fairbanks is pitching in the World Series, as I type this!

21-Oct-20
My bad! The guy’s name is Pete Fairbanks.

22-Oct-20
When I was 8 I got three teeth knocked out in two days playing ball.

Gave up sports and started hunting.

I guess my folks figured I’d be safer with a gun?!

LMAO!!!

22-Oct-20
LMBO t-roy! : )

• Sitka Gear