The last savage 11-Oct-20
PECO 11-Oct-20
John in MO / KY 11-Oct-20
DiRTY MiKE 11-Oct-20
Thunderhawk 11-Oct-20
Will 12-Oct-20
09-Oct-20

eBike John's Link
I just listened to a Tim Ferriss podcast, he interviewed Steven Rinella on hunting and conservation. It was a good chat. here's the link if you listen to podcasts.. https://tim.blog/2020/10/06/steven-rinella-meateater/

09-Oct-20
I heard it too. Steve seems to do a good job representing the hunting community.

09-Oct-20

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Tim Ferriss donated $100,000, in kind to the Rocky Mt Wolf Project and asked his podcast followers to match this with their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The Rocky Mt Wolf Project is the group along with the Tide Foundation, Defenders of Wildlife, Colorado Serra Club, Zoo and Aquarium Foundation, A bio diversity guy from Boulder, helped raise the 1.4 million dollars to get this Initiative on Colorado's Ballot.. that is pushing wolves into Colorado via the Ballot Initiative.

Tim Ferriss is a wolf in sheep's clothing and not a friend of CPW, Colorado hunters or Colorado livestock growers.

He is a friend of the Pro Wolf crowd. my best., Paul

09-Oct-20
Anytime someone like Steve is given a new platform its win for hunting. Preaching only to your own congregation is a short sighted losing game plan. Thanks for the link.

09-Oct-20
Hi All, Tim Ferriss here.

I’m making a $100K bet on a time-sensitive opportunity: reintroducing wolves to Colorado, and, in doing so, reconnecting wolves from Canada to Mexico. Western Colorado is the missing piece.

As ecologists have told me, and as far as I know, this is the only clear opportunity in the world to reestablish a major carnivore at a continental scale.

The first step is getting the wolf reintroduction measure on the ballot, which requires securing roughly 200,000 signatures in CO. My goal is to help gather as close to 200,000 by the end of September 2019. Volunteer effort is a powerful force, but professional signature gatherers are also needed, and it’s estimated that $600,000 USD should help ensure the 200,000 signatures.

I’m offering $100,000 of my own money as a matching grant. If my listeners and readers donate $100K to the Rocky Mountain Wolf Action Fund (below) by August 28th, I will then add $100K of my own, getting us at least 1/3 of the way there.

This is a rare opportunity to have a massive impact… and there is a limited window of time to help make it happen.

UPDATE:

09-Oct-20
Steve is a great advocate and example

09-Oct-20
So maybe Steve should educate Tim on why forcing wolves on Colorado is a bad idea. But then it is too late for that. Too bad.

09-Oct-20
Paul did you listen to the converstion they on wolf reintroduction in Colorado, because it doesn't sound that way. Steve gave pretty balanced take the subject, that an objective person would relate to. Contrast that discussion to your approach discounting someone with a different point of view.

09-Oct-20
I did not listen to the podcast, my mistake. all I do know is that Tim was convinced by the prowolfers a year or two ago, that the reintroduction of the wolf to Colorado was a great idea and he must have agreed, ie, his donation of $100,000. and requested his followers to do the same. So what is Tim going to do now, ask for his donation back. Good luck with that. My point of view is that I fully support the view point of the Colorado's Wildlife Commission and Staff, to Oppose the forced reintroduction of the gray wolf into Colorado. Tim's mingling with Colorado's scientific wildlife management is unnecessary as he has nothing at stake and nothing at risk. The prowolfers fed him a bunch of BS and he took it hook, line and sinker, thus his donation.

09-Oct-20
and do you believe that his followers that donated live in Colorado. Hell no. This is exactly like the HSUS recent Facebook post asking followers to sign a petition to the USFWS opposing the delisting of the wolf US wide. We do not need outside interests to dictate wildlife management policy to the CPW dept. They found a way with the Ballot Initiative process to circumvent the Wildlife Commission and we know that 98% of the 1.4 million that was spent to get this on the ballot came from outside the state, and that includes Tim's donation. Outsiders seem to know more about Colorado's wildlife, wildlife management than do the experts here that deal with it every day. I am sure Tim sleeps well thinking/dreaming he did something good but all he did was help create a nightmare for Colorado's CPW, wildlife, stockmen, and domestic livestock owners..

09-Oct-20
So these are those green decoy guys. Liberal environmental activists in first lite

BTW Paul is a straight shooter.

09-Oct-20
Rinnella swims both ends of the pool.

09-Oct-20
You mean he wears First Lite AND Sitka??!! Please say it ain't so!

Steve likes wolves.

09-Oct-20
Thanks for the F shack

- dirty Mike and the boys

09-Oct-20
+1 cnelk

09-Oct-20
I’m with Paul!!!

09-Oct-20

Native Okie's embedded Photo
Native Okie's embedded Photo
+1 cnelk and Paul. He does indeed. Tim Ferris in all his wolf glory.

10-Oct-20

I just posted this message on Tom Ferriss's face book page.

From Paul Navarre. Tim, what a shame you had to stick your nose into Colorado's Wildlife Management, ie, your donation of $100,000 to support the forced reintroduction of the gray wolf into Colorado using a Ballot Initiative to do so. The Colorado Wildlife Commission and Staff are opposed to this type of forced reintroduction. Natural migration is ok and they are on record stating such. But NO, you and other like the Rock Mt Wolf Project seem to know more about Colorado's wildlife management practices and goals than do the wildlife experts that live and work here. It might have been a dream of yours to do so but you and other will cause a nightmare for the CPW staff, Colorado hunters, and Colorado livestock producers.

10-Oct-20
all i know is that wolf has access to some great dental care and gets regular cleanings because that is the whitest brightest set of choppers I have ever seen on a wild animal in the midst of a meat feast.

10-Oct-20
Ferris's position on wolf reintroduction is a non issue, his position and advocacy was already taken, you cant change that. What you can change is people perspective moving forward. By giving someone like Rinella a platform to advocate for hunting to an audience that isn't normally exposed to it and is most likely ambivalent to hunting you can potentially change hearts and minds, or at the very least allow other to recognize shared commonality. Failing to recognize opportunities at making inroads with the 80% of the population that is neutral to your cause is sadly a mistake hunters seem all too happy to make.

10-Oct-20
I’m with Paul.

I think Steve does a good job of promoting hunting to non hunters. I also think he does a good job of linking hunting to those who oppose hunting. Meaning it’s dangerous to assume hunters money can buy lobby power to compete with Non hunters. And, his attempt is to showcase how hunting can be natural and accepted in a world where people have lost contact with it as a whole. I do believe he swims in both ends of the pond for this reason.

What I’m growing tired of is hearing the side of the argument that isn’t in the best interest of hunting. I’m tired of political hunting groups. I’m sick of pandering to those who choose heart strings over huntings interests. As hunters we have a responsibility to fight for huntings future. Not be every bodies best friend. Compromise isn’t the answer always. It never will be.

It’s pretty simple, shoot the damn things.

10-Oct-20
Colorados fish and game department should bear no responsibility in protecting the wolf if reintroduced. They operate on money generated from hunting not from people like Tim. So ranchers and dog owners have every right to defend their animals and secure their livelihood.

10-Oct-20
CPw should delist wolves in CO. Manage them the same as coyotes.

10-Oct-20
CPW can not delist the wolf until the USFWS does and that might take years as the prowolfers will sue them as soon as the Federal Delisting is approved. HSUS now has a petition on their web page asking their followers to sign it in opposition to delisting. I have no issue with Steve promoting hunting on Tim's podcast but it is a shame Steve did not have this same conversation with Tim a few years back when he took Tim on a Caribou hunt and prior to Tim being contacted by the prowolfers to make the donation he did. Yep the damage is done and I doubt many who follow Tim's podcast will change their minds concerning the wolf issue as I am sure, Tim will not state to his followers, "I should have not made that donation, I was wrong".

10-Oct-20
Keep your eye on Rinella. Ever since he sold....his show has changed and there is an agenda. There's been some fishy stuff going on over there at Meateater.

10-Oct-20
SBH please elaborate.

10-Oct-20
So I listened to the Podcast and much of what I heard that Steve spoke about I agree with and he might have educated a few that do not know about how hunters contribute to wildlife conservation. They talked lightly about wolves in Yellowstone area and then about Colorado. But Steve then stated this "I know a lot of hunters who want to see wolves on the landscape". Lot of hunters? His statement just convinced the audience and Tim that hunters want wolves on the landscape so why now help that with a $100.000 donation. Damn right I am sensitive on this subject! My best, Paul Navarre, Stopthewolf.org NE Colorado Regional director.

10-Oct-20

Zim's Link
I've been a fan of Rinella for quite some time but I have had some thoughts in line with SBH’s as well over the years. I’m not saying he sold out or anything along those lines, but some of his actions have made me scratch my head, his statement about wolves on the landscape being one of them. When Meateater sold to the Chernin group there was some outcry given that the founder is anti-gun and I had the same initial questions. That said, I felt he provided a reasonable response when we addressed it last year with the recorded statement linked here. All in, it seems he is purposefully obtuse on political subjects in order to try and expand Meateater’s reach to as wide an audience as possible. The wolf issue is a delicate one and while I don’t want wolves exterminated entirely from the landscape, I share some of the same sensitivities as Paul@thefort. It seems if we give an inch, the pro-wolfers take a mile, similar to the grizzly bear issue where the pro-grizzly crowd appeals to the 9th circuit and the goal posts continue to get moved, hamstringing the individual state’s ability to manage predator populations in line with sound scientific research. My hope would be that prominent voices in wildlife management and hunting (like Rinella) would shout this dynamic from the rooftops when they speak with prominent folks like Tim Ferris or Joe Rogan

10-Oct-20
They are all anti trapping

10-Oct-20
How is Steve anti-trapping? He talks about it damn near every week on his podcast.

10-Oct-20
How is Steve anti-trapping? He talks about it damn near every week on his podcast.

10-Oct-20
Yeah ok you don't trap,,,,

10-Oct-20
I just dont understand how anybody that has any comprehension of deer, elk, or ungulate management would think it would be a good idea to reintroduce an apex predator back into the ecosystem. Rinella saying many hunters would like to see them on the landscape is a total disservice to the hunting community. Why not explain the facts that reintroducing wolves will decimate the elk and deer populations and wreak havoc on livestock. Rinella has always struck me as a chameleon depending on his audience. Tally my vote up for you Paul!

10-Oct-20
NoWiser may not trap but Rinella damn sure does.

11-Oct-20
+1 cnelk

11-Oct-20
2 things,, Steven rinella OWNS first lite, he just bought it last year and. He was a very serious trapper when he was younger, idk bout now, but he does trapping segments on his show..from time to time

11-Oct-20
I like listening to his podcasts and watching his shows. New series out on netflix have not watched it yet. Anyhow, he looses some credibility with me from some of the products he endorses. I get it he needs sponsors but come one.

11-Oct-20
Rinella certainly still traps furbearers, not sure about predators. Say what you will about him, but he's probably brought more non-hunting fence sitters over to our side than anyone else in the last 10 years.

11-Oct-20
Rinella puts out nothing but quality product, but he is also most definitely trying to serve two masters.

The next time you're watching an episode of meat eater pay attention to the zero point zero editing and product placement throughout the episode. They do it in such a way that you don't even realize that they're selling you something most of the time.

On the dos boat season 2 where they're fishing lake Michigan for lake trout I was so confused as to why there was a Black rifle coffee can on the middle of the table while they're preparing the marinade. The can didn't have anything to do with the cooking segment. But it does for the sponsorship revenue.

I believe Steve is using the same strategies for the wolf issue and politics.

11-Oct-20
Was talking about the host of the podcast, not rinella. What a dick, most podcasts are bs anyway. New age hunters

12-Oct-20
I'm a Rinella fan, partly for his podcast/show... more so for the way he presents hunting to those he interacts with as a scientifically and socially/emotionally valid activity, and a really positive way to take part in the environment and protect the environment.

I really like that he brings in biology and solid science via many of the folks he has on the show who have spent their lives studying things - be they turkey's, deer, beavers or wolves.

Ill check out the pod cast linked above, my reaction though is that he presents a pretty nuanced view of most things.

• Sitka Gear