Huntcell 28-Nov-20
midwest 28-Nov-20
BULELK1 29-Nov-20
elkster 29-Nov-20
cnelk 29-Nov-20
Surfbow 30-Nov-20
Vonfoust 30-Nov-20
28-Nov-20
Its that time of year where I spend lots of time in the kitchen preparing meat to can, smoke or make sausage.

I got tired of using my cutting boards on the counter - chopping, cutting, tenderizing, seasoning steaks, and then having go to the sink to rinse them off.

So I made this:

A cutting board that fits snug in the sink.

28-Nov-20
Good idea Brad. Should be easy to clean as well.

I need a wood shop!

28-Nov-20
That is great idea! I might just copy that for myself. Thanks!

28-Nov-20
Good idea.

28-Nov-20
Looks good, Brad! Any particular type of hardwood work better for this application? Also, did you treat the wood with anything (mineral oil, etc) or is something like that not necessary?

28-Nov-20
Troy - I used some Alder for this cutting board. Most any hardwood will work - birch/oak/walnut...

Yes, I put the cutting board in the warm oven for a couple hours and kept applying cooking oil to all sides. I'll probably retreat it again soon

28-Nov-20
Well done! The fit is perfect.

28-Nov-20
Looks nice Brad. Sounds like you know a thing or two about wood, but definitely stay on top of treating it and use minimal water as it isn’t laminated.

28-Nov-20
I made one for my travel trailer cause of the lack of counter space. It came with an insert for sink but I did not want to bugger it. I just traced an outline and cut out and sanded. I used an old piece of butcher block I had. Shawn

28-Nov-20
Great idea. Thanks for sharing

28-Nov-20
Smart

28-Nov-20
Very cool. I have a nice butcher block I bought from John Boos ("Boos Block") a few years back that I love. Its a maple board and has held up pretty well with some maintenance. Would be great to have a quality hardwood like that which fits in the sink.

28-Nov-20
thanks for the link. After watching your informative video, more cutting board projects came up as suggestions, man guys really do some neat stuff with wood.

28-Nov-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I got this sweet cutting board from a way too generous Manitoban Bowsiter. Only cost me a bag of Dots!

29-Nov-20
Plus the wood cutting boards are easy to store out of the way.

Nice idea Brad and Nick,

Robb

29-Nov-20
Good job Brad. I have turned bowls for kitchen use and treated with mineral oil, but haven't used cooking oil. Never occurred to me to try it. I will make one like yours to fit the sink in the camp.

29-Nov-20
Thanks for the replies - give it try! [Crisco Shortening works too.]

I made my first cutting board back in 1977 - first project in the school Wood Shop :) My last project in 1982 was a 14' canoe

30-Nov-20
Nice job! I always use mineral oil on my boards instead of plant-based oil. I built a really pretty one out of some countertop cutoffs we had after a remodel project for John Densmore (yeah, the Doors drummer, cool dude). I can't remember the species anymore but it's some crazy African hardwood, smells fantastic and has lasted 15 years thus far.

30-Nov-20
Great idea Brad.

• Sitka Gear