Contributors to this thread:
wyliecoyote 03-Dec-20
Tilzbow 03-Dec-20
BoggsBowhunts 03-Dec-20
wyliecoyote 04-Dec-20
BigOzzie 04-Dec-20
Chief 419 04-Dec-20
03-Dec-20
I have heard 2 answers to this question: After drawing an elk tag in Montana, do you have to go thru a lottery to get an archery permit?

Thanks, Joe

03-Dec-20
No, you just need to buy the bow and arrow license which can be done online or at a local store. If I remember it's only $10.

03-Dec-20
If you’re referring to the 900-20 permit, it IS the permit you draw, not a secondary permit. You can archery hunt on any permit as long as you have the bow and arrow license as listed above, the permit just gives a bow hunter better bang for his buck points-wise since you don’t have to compete against rifle hunters for points

04-Dec-20
Thanks guys...appreciate you taking the time to reply !!

04-Dec-20
As a resident, we buy a conservation license, then we purchase additional stamps to go on that license.

archery is a stamp

fishing is a stamp

warm water fishing stamp

state land use stamp

upland game is a stamp waterfowl is a stamp

big game is a seperate license, but the bow stamp on the conservations covers all other licenses.

so my assumption is you would get your elk permit then have to buy a bow and arrow stamp to shoot archery.

oz

04-Dec-20
Trax - Couldn't agree more. I applied for 5 years before getting my 410 permit. If my memory is correct, the "fine" to put in for the draw every year was $1,175. The consolation prize or returned money was $820. So by the time I drew my tag, I was in for over $2,000. I'll never hunt Montana again, but really enjoyed hunting the Missouri Breaks. Montana has perfected the art of screwing non-resident hunters.

• Sitka Gear