Huntiam 12-Dec-20
The last savage 13-Dec-20
JL 13-Dec-20
Kevin Dill 13-Dec-20
T Mac 13-Dec-20
orionsbrother 13-Dec-20
Kevin Dill 13-Dec-20
10-Dec-20
I’ve never understood how a poacher or someone who steals someone else’s mount can hang that “trophy” and concoct a story of the “hunt”. I’m sure I would hear taunts and recriminations in my head any time I looked at a rack if it had been poached or stolen. I really don’t get it.

Had a guy send me a video of a nice buck on the hoof. I recognized the location. It was taken from a tree right next to the tree that I normally run my climber up. He also texted pics of the dead buck.

I congratulated him, told him it was a good spot and asked about his hunt.

He told me about his new climber, about the video and the kill.

But...

Another buddy of mine called me. He ran into another guy. The guy who actually took the video of the buck. The guy who actually killed the buck. The guy who was in a series of “hero shots” with the buck.

I can’t understand what can be derived from being congratulated for something you had nothing to do with. And telling a concocted story would have to have a personal price, assuming that you have a conscience.

It’ll be interesting the next time I have a conversation with the guy with the false claims. I’m not interested in “unmasking” him or attacking him in pursuit of my idea of “justice”. But I am not going to knowingly have someone lie to me... and for what?!?

Anyone else have someone they know try to claim someone else’s animal as their own?

10-Dec-20
Yep. Back when I was a teenager. 13 I think. I hiked out and got my dad. He showed the men the errors in their way

10-Dec-20
Yep, witnessed it over a fresh roadkill buck that I saw laying on the road in the morning. That afternoon, saw pics of it with a guy sitting on his tailgate with his bow, posing with it... and the story was good. LOL. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to deer, or all animals really. Sort of like a drug that alters their thinking and actions... Its only getting worse too... I'd love to see the guys reaction when you call him out.

10-Dec-20
all men are flawed and imperfect, including those who point out the flaws in others. if the worst thing that guy does is lie about a deer our society is far better off than how others are behaving

10-Dec-20
If a guy lies about a deer he didn't kill do you think he's really honest about other things in his life? I'd hate to loan him money or have him for a brother n law!

10-Dec-20
Yes give all liars a pass right bou? You are something else.

10-Dec-20
That is a crazy story!

Have seen and heard lots of stories from guys that shoot an elk or deer and have someone take it, even in tough to draw units!

Was out with my boy on his first deer hunt in rifle season and saw a group of hunters shoot a good buck. The buck ran down the hill and into some cedars. It was too crowded there so we were leaving when I saw two guys dragging a deer down the hill fast, faster than I could imagine! I stopped and glassed to see what was happening. They disappeared behind a small rise and then a truck came hauling tail out another road below us. I glassed back up on top and there were guys obviously looking for a shot deer in the sage... the guys below hit the pavement and hauled butt away. Pretty sure the buck was hit by the hunters on top and ran down and died below. Whether the guys below shot or not, I don’t know. They certainly moved fast!

I’ve seen and heard about so many guys having an animal taken by someone else in Colorado. In cases where the game warden gets involved, whoever has tagged it owns it.

10-Dec-20
I’m with Snuffer and Drnaln on this one!

10-Dec-20
Yep. My brother had a deer taken from him when he was 15. By a grown man. He bluffed him into thinking he’d missed. Once again, my dad got involved the next day after hearing the story. Went back to where my brother shot the deer with him. My brother pointed where the deer was standing, my dad walked over, found the spot of impact, tracked the deer the 60 yards or so where it fell over and was claimed by the other guy.

It’s amazing what people will do. Especially to young kids. Spineless individuals indeed. All over an animal. There is far more then a kill involved in any hint but, I couldn’t imagine anyone deriving pleasure from taking an animal they didn’t kill.

10-Dec-20
Some feel others shouldn't be held accountable for their actions, probably because they don't want to have to account for their actions. Right Bou.

10-Dec-20
- I don’t have some big axe to grind. This guy didn’t poach a deer. He didn’t steal someone’s mount. He didn’t do something more serious. I don’t intend to be lied to, but I’m not going out of my way to set things straight.

If anything, I feel more sorry for the guy than animosity. I just don’t understand. What kind of hole do you have in you that you futilely try to fill it with bullchit?? I would think that it would make you feel worse.

I’m not interested in being lied to, but I’m not interested in some scene, calling him out. I think he’s been a good guy. Kind to my kids, generous. I truly don’t understand it.

Maybe I am pointing out the flaws of others Bou. I, no doubt, have plenty of my own. That’s not what I was getting at though.

Gotta run. Done with my dump. In to the woods. I’m running behind.

10-Dec-20
A liar? I don't give two F's about how that makes me look... I'm calling them out.

10-Dec-20
Good luck!

10-Dec-20
This is similar to the famous Ohio Booners thread on Archery Talk. One of their members claimed to be chasing and shooting these monster deer. He was adored by many there, got to be a pro-staff member of a TV hunting group and built up a big fan base of quiver sniffers. Another member got suspicious when he recognized one of the mounts and did some investigating on his own. He found out the deer were either game farm bucks or reproductions. Needless to say the quiver sniffers didn't believe it and bashed the guy who did the investigating.......until the evidence was posted. The dubious individual bailed out once he got caught. Horns can make people do stupid things for the greed, notoriety or both.

10-Dec-20
Rowdy Dowdy comes to mind. Ya, thinks like that are indications of major character flaws and don't get a free pass, but as you say Orion, they are simony baffling.

Although I wouldn't mind finding a few of these people if they want to tag my deer, and then I can keep hunting ;)

10-Dec-20
You should stop by his house to see the rack.

10-Dec-20
Unfortunately I don’t think it’s a rare. I think most hunters are slob hunters. Sorry to say it out loud.

But hunters are just another slice of society. Maybe 60/40

Sorry if that feeds into any hate groups narrative or offends anyone. Remember it’s not a fact. Just my observation

Maybe I just have bad luck and run into the few, very often.

But more often than not. I see slob behavior.

It’s actually a big deal for me when I run into or observe sportsman like behavior.

And please don’t impugn my friends. And suggest I need to find other hunters.

If you see other wise that’s great. I would like to be proven wrong in my observations

10-Dec-20
Whenever I hear these stories , I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I’ll make this shorter than the actual story is. About ten years ago, I had one of my hunting life’s worst experiences.

I own land surrounded by county land. It is off the road about a mile. I built a small 16x20 remote cabin on it. I started to hang some horns on the walls that had some sentimental significance. One of which was the biggest deer my dad ever shot in the 50’s. I was very young, but I remember when he drove back into our yard about 8:00am. We thought he had something go wrong. Here he had shot this beautiful 10 point buck. He had it in the trunk of our old Car. Everyone was so excited. Those were the days when you drove around our small town and showed the deer off..

As time passed and my father got older, there was a conversation about what to do with those horns when he passed. They we going to be passed on to me. So in 2012 when my dad died, one of the things that came to me was that set of horns. It was such a terrific reminder of my dad, my youth, and my love for hunting.

That was about the time , 2012, that I built my little cabin deep in the woods. I hung those horns inside above the entrance door. Every time I walked by them, it was memorable.. Those horns were stolen off the wall, along with other horns and some of my own trophies when someone broke in. I still have the cabin, I still have many great times there, and I still think of my dad often. But for the life of me, I will never understand how someone would take that memory away from me.... it still hurts, and there is no way that it will ever return. Thanks for listening....Greg

10-Dec-20
I have an acquaintance who killed a really big deer. At the check station he met a VERY famous hunter and company owner who asked to take a photo with it. Ok. So he posed against a woods backdrop, and wouldn't you know, that hero photo showed up in an ad for the company's products the next year.

Not in the same league, but a few years ago a startup company plucked some hero photos of me off the Bowsite and were using them to promote their products without my knowledge. I had no relationship with that company, and was alerted by a Bowsiter. I called them out on it, and they offered me some free stuff. I told them to pound sand and take my photos off their website.

10-Dec-20
I get along well with the neighbors who own hunting land next to mine. In the last year a new fellow (about age 65) has been invited to hunt their property. I met him, he seemed like a decent guy and we began swapping bowhunting stories. We talked about the joy of bowhunting, traditions, and challenges, etc., etc. A few weeks later he showed me his bow...it was a crossbow! I was floored and asked about all those stories. He said, "...yeah, but this is what I use, always have." I immediately lost 99% of the respect I had for him, not because of his weapon choice necessarily but rather because he choose to intentionally mislead me. I knew right away I could not trust him.

10-Dec-20
We had a guy here in Illinois known as the ghillie god. He was suspected of buying a rack from Kansas, removing a non typical point and taking pictures of it with the rack put on a 2 year old bucks body. When confronted he denied it but has remained quiet ever since.

10-Dec-20
Rowdy dowdy doesn’t understand what the big deal is old sons!

10-Dec-20
That’s crazy but unfortunately I’ve seen/heard it as well. I don’t get it as my “trophies” are only memories of the hunt, I relive them in my mind. The achey muscles, bitter cold, excessive heat, heavy packs, long sits, tracking, dragging, lowest or lows and highest of highs! It’s not inches or size, it’s the memories and if you’re memories are lies, well?

Same as Jacuomo, I’ve been alerted to some of my photos being used without permission.

10-Dec-20
What are the laws regarding use of photos for promotional type purposes that they may have gotten off the internet?

A few years back Montana did a feature on the Elkhorns elk hunting in a magazine they produced at the time. They had 3 or 4 trophy photos in there of "Elkhorns bulls". Well one of the photos was of my buddy. The bull wasn't killed in the Elkhorns and he did not give them permission to use the photo.

10-Dec-20
A very good friend of mine took a guy out hunting who was new to it with little experience. As luck would have it he shot the buck the locals had been talking about. But before he could come down from his tree two guys walked up and told him he better stay ip there if he knew what was good for himself. The one pointed a rifle right at him while the other dragged the deer away and then after awhile he took off running. Never caught up to those guys or saw the deer again.

When I was in my mid 20s I shot a small buck. A 6 point whitetail with one side missing. I walked up to it, flipped it over and dug out my knife but.... no knife! Forgot it. So I walked to a buddies stand to borrow his. As I was approaching the deer I saw orange up there. I looked with my binos and saw a guy looking all around. Once he determined nobody was looking he shot into the ground, leaned his gun against a tree and started dressing out the buck. It was the first day of the season so I walked away and went back to hunting.

I was driving by a bus g trailhead in Montana with a bunch of campers. A guy who was guiding for me was in the passenger seat. We saw a nice rack leaning up against one of the campers and nobody around. He said stop the truck man I’m gonna grab those antlers. I just looked at him and kept driving. When we got back to the ranch I asked him to pack up his shit and go find another job!

10-Dec-20
When I was in my twenties I hunted the Davy Crockett National Forest here in East Texas. It was about the only place that had any deer close to me. A guy in a camp pretty close to us wounded a buck one morning, tried to track it I guess, but gave up on it. We talked to him about it, he was gonna hunt another spot that afternoon, so thinking I knew where that buck would go, I went to the thickest part of that river bottom where I knew there was a slough with a little water in it. Sure enough, easing around the edges I saw that buck stand up out of his bed. He never moved, just stood up. I could see the blood on his shoulder, down low, and his leg was broken. I killed him and found that the shot had broken his leg up high and also shot through the front of his brisket. There was a lot of blood in his bed, he was very weak, and I think he would have died right there, bled to death. Another party in the shooter’s camp, (a loudmouth who had been drinking), was trying to get him to claim that buck as his, , but that didn’t happen. The original shooter knew he had no claim, I knew he had no claim, the buck would have been buzzard bait. Was I wrong ?

10-Dec-20

Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Swampbuck's embedded Photo
I had a wt euro stolen, what really aggravated me about it was it the first buck taking off my property. Not the biggest by far, but after letting bucks go and grow for a couple years and finally taking this one. A lot of time and effort went into it.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall listening to this jack wagon bragging about “his” buck. If anyone happens to come across this mount, let me know. I will gladly pay them a visit!

10-Dec-20
Drycreek - You were not wrong. The other fellow abandoned the chase. The animal then became "fair game" for anyone legally hunting. It was your deer all the way.

10-Dec-20
I had a 6 point sto;en from the woods & a friend had a Doe taken. Long stories but these were Deer we were in the process of recovering within a short time.

10-Dec-20
I had a military friend who rifle hunted elk here in WY. On opening he shot a big 6x6 bull at about 60yds. It ran over a rise and fell. Before my buddy got there he heard a shot. Some other is standing by his bull saying I got him. This other hunters buddy comes running over stating that's our bull. My buddy went back the next day to where the hunter said he shot from. He then went over to where the bull fell and there was a bullet hole in one of the trees to the right of the bull. The other hunter had cleanly missed. My buddy shot another 5x6 bull that afternoon. It isn't worth fighting over!

Had another buddy shoot a 5x5 bull elk during archery season in WY. He knew the bull wasn't going far and probably died very close to a road. He figured I'll go get my truck and drive to the other road. When he got to the other road he could see a gut pile with an arrow stuck in the middle. It was his arrow.

I don't see the pleasure in taking someone else's animal.

10-Dec-20
My first P&Y buck almost never made it home. Shot the buck on public ground the morning of New Year's Eve back in 1991. Made a text book double lung shot. Layered up that morning and I wasn't hunting far from the truck, so I walked back to the truck, layered down and grabbed the deer cart.

Found the blood trail immediately. Hadn't gone more than 50 yards when I crested a rise and saw the buck laying in the bottom. Also saw another bowhunter walking very quickly across the bottom towards the deer. He got to the buck before me and attempted to claim it as his own. Following a pretty heated discussion, he backed off. I asked what on earth would prompt him to lie about the buck. Told me it was the biggest deer he had ever seen in the woods and wanted to take it home.

At that point, he offered to help me get the deer out. I declined and asked him to move on....which he did...head hung low. To be clear, had he said his family needed the meat, he would have left with the meat. But that wasn't his answer to the question. To this day, I've never understood the answer he provided?

10-Dec-20
Myles Keller had a trailer full of his mounts stolen when he was doing the show circuit.

10-Dec-20
I seem to remember a story in a magazine a number of years ago about a guy that would kill a deer and have to walk out to get a cart or get help. He would dress the deer and place the punched tag up the deer's nose before he left. He returned to get his deer and it was gone. They ended up tracing it back to someone that claimed it as theirs. After calling the wardens and paying the guy a visit, they retrieved the tag from the deer's nose and it was returned to the hunter. Not sure if anyone ever remembers reading a story like that in one of the magazines a while back. That one stuck out to me for some reason.

10-Dec-20
I have never had an animal taken from me, but whenever I kill an animal these days, I notch a couple hooves with my knife for ID purposes.

10-Dec-20
When I was in high school a farm down the road from ours raised a few deer. They had a big fenced in enclosure and some real dandy bucks. The deer were all obviously tame and easily approachable, you could walk right in with them and feed them. Anyhow, one year there was a regional big buck contest with a pretty big cash prize and some other stuff. Someone went to the farm one night, shot the biggest buck through the fence with, cut a hole in the fence and took that buck and entered into the big buck contest and won. One of the prizes was a free mount at a taxidermist. This idiot took the buck to a taxidermist about 3 miles from the farm where the buck was poached from. Obviously he was caught, fined heavily and I believe lost his hunting rights for a good many years. I can't for the life of me figure why people do the stupid things they do.

10-Dec-20
I don't get it either, and I'm a guy that really likes that kind of thing. If I could, I'd have piles of horns and antlers laying around to look at, whether I killed them or not.

I don't understand my fascination for it, but I don't really care. I like it

However, I cannot fathom lying and trying to pass off as something you killed, or stealing from someone else. I just don't get it.

10-Dec-20
I lost an Antelope that I shot while I was giving the arrow time to work. When I got to the end of the Blood trail all that was left was a gut pile. some time later (couple of years or more) I found out who had taken it and I knew him. Seems he drove up the road and saw this wounded buck so he got out and finished it off then took it without trying to find out who shot it or if they were tracking it.

10-Dec-20
Always one in the bunch. Feel better now Woods Walker ?

10-Dec-20
I do not worry about such things, no sweat off my back if others lie about their " trophies ". Isn't horn porn great!

10-Dec-20
Do you guys remember the story of the monster 7x9 bull elk, named Samson, who was poached on the YMCA cabin grounds in Estes Park about 25 years ago? That was perhaps the most dispicable example of horn porn greed that I've ever heard about.

Matt

10-Dec-20
Orion, I hope you send a pic of the buck to the guy who claims to have killed it, "did you see the buck so and so killed?". Would love to see how he responds.

10-Dec-20
"I don't understand my fascination for it, but I don't really care. I like it"

Bake, funny you mention that. I found 2 old shed antlers this year while in the woods in 2 different states. Both were pretty chewed up, one more than the other. Nothing even super impressive, small 8 points. I don't need any more shed antlers, but I had trouble leaving them in the woods. I love them, but not to the point I would take someone elses property. I did leave one in the woods and even then, I felt funny just walking away from it, so I get what you are saying.

10-Dec-20
somebody else's trophy is like.......

somebody else's underwear

Stolen underwear???? no thanks oz

10-Dec-20

Marty's embedded Photo
Marty's embedded Photo
Not really trophies but I hang a lot of my pick up heads on the fence at the end of my driveway and just noticed someone helped themselves to 3 racks, my son said “I told you!” I said if they need them that bad, they can have them!

10-Dec-20
Things are not always what they seem. Many years ago l arrowed a doe that was acting a little strange. I felt that it was a good hit so I thought that she would go down fairly quickly after the hit. This was on National Forest but at least a quarter mile below a two-track forest road so I figured to give it some time while I went for my "kill pack". I returned to the spot of the hit and found a great bloodtrail immediately leading to a gutpile 60 yards away but no deer. I had seen a truck back at the road from a nearby camp that passed while I was letting some time pass and knew it had to be them. I went to their camp to confront the group of several adult men and a young boy. I did not know how many it would take to put me on the ground but I knew how many they would use. It turned out that the young boy had Texas-heart shot the deer originally and the arrow was completely buried lengthwise in the deer. They had been tracking the deer down the mountain but no wound was evident. My arrow had cut it's throut which may have looked like his arrow did the job. My arrow had not been found. We figured it out and I was happy to give the boy his first deer as I was only trying to fill my tag with some meat. I was glad to know that someone was not stealing my deer and gave them the whole deer knowing what actually happened......... Badbull

10-Dec-20
I’m 99% sure I had a deer stolen from when I was a naive 15 y/o by some “neighbors” who were helping me “track” a doe. I didn’t figure out what happened until after the fact but I’ve sure never forgot it.

I have no interest in other people trophies. When we moved 5 years ago, the prior owner left 3 very large racked WT shoulder mounts in a spare garage. Said he thought I’d like to have them. I sold them dirt cheap in a yard sale. Now I wish I’d kept them for spare tips!

10-Dec-20
A few years ago at the Iowa Deer classic I was speaking with a well known antler buyer who had just bought a possible world record set of sheds but part of the deal was he could not show them ,or disclose there existence for one year. The non disclosure was said to be for the young shed antler seller to have a chance to hunt the buck without extra pressure. The real story was another antler buyer hired this kid to craft this tale and get the well known buyer to buy these game farm sheds worth maybe 2k for over 25,000.

10-Dec-20
Just got back into my buddy’s cabin. My condolences to anyone who had someone steal an animal or a rack. That’s just shitty.

The guy that I’m talking about didn’t do anything like that. He just “stole” a picture and video, taking credit for someone else’s kill. Not criminal, but nonsensical and bad enough in my book.

And like I said, puzzling. This guy has been a good guy. I have no idea what he gains by having me believe that he killed a deer. I just don’t get it. This pointless lie has me questioning anything and everything he’s ever said.

10-Dec-20
$25k for a set of shed antlers? I'm putting a little more effort into shed hunting from now on.

11-Dec-20
If someone uses your likeness or copyrighted material without permission for commercial purposes, they owe you fair market value AT LEAST, if not some kind of punitive damages.

What’s “fair” depends on how much exposure the work will get; if the user of the material were printing 1,000 brochures, you’d get a lot less than if they wanted it for a magazine ad (10s of thousands of exposures) or the internet (potentially unlimited exposure).

When my wife and I were producing marketing materials for our client, every agreement included a line that protected us if the client asked us to use any images for which they did not have proper licensing rights.

If a company were to rip me off that way, I ’d get my licensing fee out of them one way or another, And I would bet that most of them would settle out of court for a fairly substantial amount, rather than giving me a good reason to be all over the Internet revealing that their product was so fraudulent that they had to steal pictures of other peoples trophies in order to sell it.

Some of the guys over 40 will remember when the string tracker company was offering something like $100,000 or more to anyone who shot and recovered a world record buck while using a string tracker.

But these days… People will steal trophies so that they have something to show potential sponsors, right? Pro Staff. Not only do your buddies envy you, but you get free stuff, even if you’re not getting paid outright. Just one more way in which commercialized Bowhunting is probably as distractive to wildlife as market hunting was back in it today

11-Dec-20
I think pav hit it right on the nose. These type of people have a mental illness or addiction that they just can’t shake. Low morals, bad up bringing, and self enforced pressure for big antlers due to the horn porn society we’re shrouded by. And that makes them think irrationally and explains their irrational behavior.

Now I like a big mature animal as much as the next guy. But in that situation I’d be more concerned on finding the people who shot the animal so they can get it. And I’d want to hear how it went down and the equipment he’s using because I find it interesting.

11-Dec-20
Knew a guy who's father in law cleaned out his trophy room and gave this guy all his unwanted racks. The guy puts them on his wall and calls them his kills. Same guy heard I got two geese with bands on one hunt. Tells me the next day at work he killed a double banded snow goose. Guy was full of it from top to bottom. He killed a few nice bucks while I worked with him and didn't have to lie, not sure what he was after telling people all that BS.

12-Dec-20
I got a mid 170s gross buck a year or two back. A buddy came out to take a look, and I took a picture of him with it. A few weeks later, I found out he'd posted the picture of himself with my deer on FB, and never mentioned a peep as person after person commented about what a great buck he'd gotten. Seemed odd that he wouldn't just post something like "pic of my buddy's buck taken this season". People do weird stuff.

12-Dec-20

12-Dec-20
It’s all about how many Facebook views for most of these guys Like this! Don’t you no everyone’s cooler online !

13-Dec-20
I made a bad liver hit on a really nice buck. My son joined in the tracking for nearly a mile, i found huge blood clots half the dize of a dinner plate. I do admit we pusted the deer when i should have given him overnight, but i knew that the deer was headed directly towads a big townhouse subdivision. So ikept on the blood trail,we were crawling through a maze of tunn k es when my son says , do you hear that pickup? It sounds close. I just assumed we were getting close to the townhouses. Well we did a good track job, right to a huge gut pile , complete with orage gutting gloves and steam still rising, i dug thrunit, yep solid liver hit. From that point i look around and about 120 yards i see a stand, very high, 35 ftish. I go over , fresh cigarette butts, i climb up, perfect view of where the buck died. I tracked the truck tire trail to the edge of the townhouse parking lot,, in a rage i sent my son to the nearby home depot for a cable and bigggest ,thickest lock they have,, i locked this guys very nice treestand to the tree with the lock n cable. Put a note on it w my cell number and a few choice words. Yep he called, yep he admitted to seeing the buck expire, stealing it, and this is the kicker that burnt my ass, he laughed and says your not getting it , i took it to a taxidermist... i took my chainsaw back , cut the tree down,made it fall towards the stand and crushed it, took back my lock and cable,,

13-Dec-20
^.....where you on public land or your own private land? If your private land....I can see your frustrations. If it was land open to the public IMO you shouldn't have locked his stand nor cut down a tree to intentionally damage his stand. I think you open your self up to legal problems. Problems with other hunters comes with public land hunting....it sucks but it comes with the turf and ya have to deal with it the best ya can.

13-Dec-20
I personally don’t care about impressing others with dead animals.....mine or otherwise. It’s just not important. I would have no desire to claim (as mine) something earned by another, nor would I be wanting pictures. However....a photo with your wife or good dog might be another thing.....

13-Dec-20
For some antlers are what defies them as a person and a hollow individual, purely ego driven and will do whatever it takes....sad. I dream of shooting a big buck but it’s not what defies me as a hunter or person. I have no problem with trophy or dink hunters. But when it comes to piss poor character and ethics well that doesn’t cut it in any industry!

13-Dec-20
And yet, Kevin, I have been impressed by your hunts, their recaps, your animals and the adventures. Or maybe “appreciate them” would be a better phrase.

I have no interest in putting a poster of you up in my bedroom or getting a Kevin tattoo, but appreciate the way you seem to approach things.

I am impressed or appreciate many guys here who have done cool hunts and killed exceptional animals.

That and $12.50 might get you a flavored cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I am pleased with my Euro mounts because of the memory of each hunt. Even the less “impressive” whitetail racks and rag horn elk racks.

I’m not taking a solo picture with someone else’s animal. Absolutely no reason. I enjoy pictures of me with my buddies together with their animal from shared hunts.

The idea of hanging someone else’s rack in my place held zero interest to me until my friend passed away. His widow gave me two of his mule deer racks. It pleases me to look at them, think of him and remember hunts with him. I am clear with people that they are not my racks and enjoy the disclosure providing the opportunity to share who he was, a great, gregarious, generous old guy who was tougher than woodpecker lips and the epitome of tenacious.

While disgusted, I can understand the nefarious motivation behind Rowdy Dowdy. He was a fraud trying to profit financially from sponsors. While disgusted, I can understand the nefarious motivation behind stealing someone else’s physical deer to steal the meat.

But I think there’s a weird hole in you that isn’t ever going to be filled by people congratulating you for something that you know is completely untrue.

I just don’t get it.

A customer told me about one of his employees who used someone else’s picture for some online dating site. It didn’t work out well when he got some dates. I doubt having the reality driven home that he isn’t even close to that other guy made him feel better.

I just don’t get it.

13-Dec-20
Well orionsbrother....I know for certain that you get it....you’re in this for the full adventure, and not for the glory. A good many of us are probably made that way. But there are those who are ethically bankrupt and have fragile egos. They’re the same ones who cheat at many things while touting their honest successes. For some reason they need attention and accolades....like kids.

I think it’s good to share the adventures and sometimes the success. I often get more out of hearing the ‘almost’ stories than the ‘look at my giant critter’ accounts. And while I don’t blame Facebook or Instagram, I know they exploit a human tendency which is to be focused on what we think others will like about us....and that’s essentially an expression of vanity.

• Sitka Gear