Zbone 15-Dec-20
Zbone 15-Dec-20
Zbone 15-Dec-20
South Farm 16-Dec-20
TD 16-Dec-20
DL 16-Dec-20
Zbone 16-Dec-20
14-Dec-20
I will admit right up front, born and raised in Cleveland, OH. Graduated high school, college, met my lovely wife there. I still call it home. (Glad the Steelers lost again yesterday!)

This is not intended to be a political thread, please allow it for a little mods. Actually, it is about snobbery. You see, I maybe don't admit it openly, but I am proud I quit rifle hunting nearly 30 years ago. Bow only for me! And even though Native Americans did not have compounds, I always thought I shared more in common with the "purist" pursuit of game with my brethren natives with regards to hunting than I do my own ancestry- Caucasian, grandson of immigrants to this country. Not even sure I am being politically correct in how I am describing stuff, and quite frankly, have grown tired of being concerned about who will get their feelings hurt. FTR, I have recently in PMs been called a fat, old guy, and am not offended by the truth. They could have added in ugly and I still would have agreed.

So, the political part of all of this is the Tribe, my beloved Cleveland Indians, the true Cubs now, announced they are changing their name. Why? I respect the heck out of hunting with bow and arrows. It is much more difficult. And yes, I know some of the horror stories of fires and cliffs, yet most were able to shoot bison while sitting atop a horse galloping at full speed using nothing but completely hand made "traditional" archery.

Here is the important part of this. Will this madness eventually affect bowhunting? At some point will society connect our approach to being politically incorrect and demand it stop? Right now most everyone I talk with respects that I hunt with a bow. But recently I did have one student say she thought firearms were more humane and killed quicker. Hmm, got me thinking.

Maybe the Tribe does have something to do with the future of bowhunting and we should wake up. Maybe being awoke will take on an entirely new meaning. I respect the heck out of native American history and always thought we named teams like the Chiefs and Indians because of respect. I thought the same about archery hunting. Are things about to change and maybe bows will be what they come after next as the second amendment doesn't include them directly. Maybe we need the equivalent of the NRA for bowhunting?

14-Dec-20
The Pope & Young Club...

14-Dec-20
Ghost, you may be correct. After resisting for years I joined as a five year member last year. But there are detractors and if they are going to have the clout of the NRA, we must be more united IMHO.

14-Dec-20
Habitat, saw that this morning. I am also a cleveland native. Crazy part is the Indians was honoring Louis Sockalexis a native American playing for the team.

Maybe Cleveland natives would be a more appropriate name but it certainly was nothing derogatory. I'd be fine with "Slovaks" or Hungarians as that is my ancestors. People are way too sensitive.

Funny side note, couple years ago stopped to get diesel in Mt ot a reservation gas station and I didn't realize I was wearing a chief Wahoo shirt when I hear Go Tribe! Talked to that native American gentleman for a while. Cleveland was his favorite team and was not remotely offended.

How this cancel culture will affect hunting, I have no idea!

14-Dec-20
At least 15 years back PY tried to form the North American Bowhunting Coalition made up of representatives from all states and state bow hunting organizations. We met at the PY hqd in Minn. Their goal, much like the NRA, was to be the voice for bow hunting and represent bow hunters at the state and national level. While the intention was good, the Coalition faded away just after a few years. Is it time again? A Coalition like this needs strong support from bow hunters both from a $$$$ viewpoint but also from leadership. my best, Paul

14-Dec-20
I agree, Frank, the Washington "Football Team" just doesn't have same ring to it. ;-) This PC nonsense has to end.

However, I don't think further fragmenting hunters, based on weapon choice, is the way to preserve any type of hunting. Most rabid anti-hunters don't differentiate between weapons, they hate all types of hunting. We stand little chance of changing their minds.

IMO, a better approach would be to focus on the opinions of non-hunters who aren't necessarily opposed to hunting, they just don't partake in it. Those will be the people who will ultimately decide the future of hunting. I think we should focus on things like the fact that hunting revenues provide the funding for wildlife conservation for all. Colorado's "Hug a Hunter" campaign comes to mind, as it was very successful with non-hunters.

I also think there's an "organic meat" angle that resonants with non-hunters. My wife is a prime example. She has never hunted, and never will, but she loves eating meat this isn't pumped with steroids and other crap that goes into most store-bought meat. I don't think she's alone in her opinions on that.

Just my 2 cents and a pocket full of lint....

Matt

14-Dec-20
Eventually all sports teams will have the same generic moniker as the former Washington Redskins now the Washington Football Team. Your Indians will be the Cleveland Baseball Team, my Pirates will be the The Pittsburgh Baseball team and so on and so on until no one is ever offended by anything anymore. It's the world we live in and I think it's a shame . Not sure how this new cancel culture will effect bowhunting but I'd guess efforts will be made.

14-Dec-20
Look at the division on this page and the state pages. We can't hardly agree on the most basic issues. Forming a coalition is not likely. In general bowhunting is probably going to be one of the last things the cancel culture will go after. It's viewed in better light than gun hunting by most. The technology changes will likely lead to a change there however.

14-Dec-20
The root of the whole problem as I see it would be the entire concept of this "P.C." BULL CHIT. Life was way better before all this P.C. crap. As far as the way a person hunts, who really cares beyond yourself. United we stand, divided we fall.

14-Dec-20
And while were at it, who are WE to assign gender to animals?? I mean, if someone born with male plumbing can be called a woman because he THINKS he is, then how do we know that the doe you just shot during buck season (or vice versa), didn't IDENTIFY as a buck? So someone gets a ticket for that? How unfair is that???

14-Dec-20
I am an Indian. How dare you take away what’s mine and what we “Indians” did before you privileged white people took what’s ours. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

14-Dec-20
The simple answer is legalize marijuana. I never met a pot-head yet that gave two sh!ts about anything. The sooner we all get stoned and "mellow out" the sooner all this PC crap and cancel culture will go away. And, for the record, even "beloved" baseball sucks these days...along with every other professional sport imho..

Most of that was in jest, but seriously, until we all learn to mind our own bisquits this will only get worse. We're too far gone for diplomacy; this will have to be settled on the playground and in the streets. America needs a serious RESET!

14-Dec-20
The PC/Cancel culture is about to go on steroids. Just wait and see...

14-Dec-20
My nephew owns a small film making company. He recently completed a project that had Indian culture it it. He consulted with the local tribe so as not to offend them. Their representative told him that their tribe prefers the term Indian over native American.

When will the P.C. end? Many of our states, counties, cities, etc. have Indian names. Will these need to be changed also?

14-Dec-20
I've hunted turkeys in the 4-corners area on the Navajo reservation several times. I NEVER saw a member of the Reservation hunt with a bow. Usually, they just drove around and shotgunned them from the truck. After my first year hunting there, I wrote to ask if they've ever considered a bow only season. Seemed like a no brainer to me. I never got a response. I guess they only argue their heritage when it suits them.

As to naming sports teams; who cares?!

"...one student say she thought firearms were more humane and killed quicker."

I hope you set her straight.

14-Dec-20
It's just my two cents but here's what I have experienced being a Cleveland resident as well. I have yet to find anybody that is offended by the term tribe unless you count the people trying to gain power by acting butthurt over the name. I truly believe that if there's something in it for them. You're going to find this type of behavior. Again just my opinion

14-Dec-20
I certainly gave it my best shot Ziek, pun intended.

14-Dec-20
All I know, as a Cleveland/Buffalo fan, is that the Browns better beat the Ravens tonight. With the Bills beating the Steelers last night, if Cleveland could win out (with their last game being against Pittsburgh), they could win the division.....

14-Dec-20
Jake,

We are on the same page! And I won’t be able to get the game as our satellite company is in a squabble with the broadcaster.

14-Dec-20
I commuted to a job in Cleveland for 11 year, and attended many Cleveland Indians games. Sad to see the PC that’s taking their name away. Good point by someone that many towns and states are named after tribes. Is that next?

14-Dec-20
I'm waiting for Colorado to drop the "Rockies" name, I heard it may be insensitive to mountains with not enough rocks...

14-Dec-20
The common retort is that this PC stuff has to end! However, we all know it never will. The left is relentless and they are like monkeys. They either crap on or break whatever they touch.

14-Dec-20

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
"The left is relentless and they are like monkeys. They either crap on or break whatever they touch."

SO TRUE!!!

15-Dec-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Being a "Native" Buckeye from NE Ohio, hated loosing Chief Wahoo last year, and now the Indians name is heart breaking being a fan since a kid and seeing them live 50+ years ago... Heck, my X even has a Chief Wahoo tattoo...

If I had my druthers for a new name I like the Cleveland "Spiders" their older name over a century ago would make some cool logos, or the Cleveland Buckeyes of the negro league in the 1940's...

Also like the name the Cleveland "Great Lakers" too...

The rest of the names been floating around don't care much for but probably really doesn't matter anyhow since rumors the Dolans, the majority owners of the Cleveland Baseball Club is moving them to Nashville in a couple years once the Cleveland stadium lease is up in 2023...

15-Dec-20
Another good name for a Cleveland team would be the "Lake Effects"!

15-Dec-20
Redskins looking pretty good this year...

15-Dec-20
Dang! They are assigning offense to groups when there is none taken by that group. Proud graduate of Broken Bow Senior High. I hope they never change from the Broken Bow Indians.

15-Dec-20
Organizations like PY promoting bow hunting is good. More of that, or enhancing it is good.

"Cancel culture", "identity politics" those are areas where it seems so often leading edge political ideologies push. Go ahead, be a R the last 4 years and say you dislike one of the president's policy's or approaches. It's a level of incoming cancel culture that no far left idealist could even hope to achieve - like it or not, it's EXACTLY the same thing.

The challenge is the ability to register context, communicate with that in mind and be able to agree or disagree with ideas without assuming that makes the other person a sub human evil moron.

There are some authors that have written a lot about this from the perspective of social psychology and philosophy who really have some great points. Stephen Pinker, Jonathan Haidt, Michael Shermer all having great insights into this stuff.

Ill admit, part of what I like about them is that they are all often trashed by the leaders of the movement to the right and left, which suggests to me that they are actually thinking and looking for reality and not affirmation. Their books are worth a look H4W.

As for the Indians... Given they are on Lake Erie... I'm going with the Walleyes. That name would make me happy every time I heard it, and the logo of a toothy fish with googly eyes would be awesome. But if it ended up being the "Northern Ohio Indigenous Peoples" or "Kickapoo's" (I think that Native American Tribe was in that area) that would be cool too. Seriously, Kickapoo... They would sell a million hats / shirts etc on day one :)

15-Dec-20
How about the Cleveland Twins Asskickers? Something they can relate to!

15-Dec-20
Or to keep it with more of an "outdoor" theme......"Walleye Wizards"

15-Dec-20
Woods Walker, we have an agreement... "Walleye Wizards" is great!

15-Dec-20
How about leaving it as is.

15-Dec-20
Leave as is? C'mon man...get WOKE! Don't be a racist/bigot/sexist/homophobe/deplorable! (Did I cover all of them?)

15-Dec-20
I agree with zbone! Spiders would be a cool name. Or name them the Thomes. Everyone loved Jim didn't they?

15-Dec-20
How about the Cleveland Cave-ins? Has a nice ring to it and kind of goes along with what they're doing..

15-Dec-20
That'd work too!

Or maybe the Cleveland "Needs A Pair"?

15-Dec-20
Woods Walker...I like Cleveland, but going with your theme. Cleveland Squirrels since they are looking for their nuts? :)

15-Dec-20
Don’t know where you’ve been the last 20 plus years, but bow hunting is already under attack. If bow hunting is ever stopped it will be from the nutjobs on the Left!

“ Go ahead, be a R the last 4 years and say you dislike one of the president's policy's or approaches. It's a level of incoming cancel culture that no far left idealist could even hope to achieve - like it or not, it's EXACTLY the same thing.”

Will, Are you freaking serious? People on the Right are losing jobs and their livelihood because of the cancel culture from the Left. Teachers, Actors, Doctors, Nurses, Policeman, students, and others have been targets of the lunatic Left’s push for cancellation of anyone who disagrees with them To suggest the Left is more benign is outrageous and factually incorrect.

15-Dec-20
Walleyes is already taken by a hockey team in Toledo otherwise I'd be good with that. Then again, people do eat Walleye so it could be offensive to the vegetarians.

How bout the Lake Erie Monsters? Erie is an Indian name so do we change that as well and does that include the actual lake?

15-Dec-20
Cleveland Monsters are an AHL hockey team in Cleveland, cool logo.

15-Dec-20
The Unforgivens

15-Dec-20
Oh no, you are not understanding my point Rupe. I agree with you, the leading edge of the left has lead to cancel culture, and there is a Newtonian pushback starting to occur even on the left. The leading edge of the right loves it too. Trump loves cancel culture. Oh he rails against it all the time and points at anything which is or he can contort into a version of cancel culture. So he likes to present himself as "defender" from cancel culture. Yet any human alive who suggests something other than that which he presents is not just wrong, they are pure evil, satan loving psycho's out to destroy America and ruin lives.

He has, literally, the biggest megaphone on earth from his position right now, and the past 4 years.

And he canceled any one who presented an idea he didnt like with the consistency of a sun rise.

That said, I should have left that out of my last post, because my focus was on options to rename (or not) the Indians.

So, apologies for the frustration.

15-Dec-20
Super, I meant should we have to rename the Monsters sine Erie is an Indian name. Heck, half of Ohio, including Ohio has Indian names.

15-Dec-20
How about the Cleveland Trumplicans? Then they can always claim victory even when they score less points than their opponents.

Slow down...it’s just a joke.

15-Dec-20
Oh for the love of God. We are witnessing the chickens coming home to roost. We have had a leftward political correct death march brought on by liberals and democrats for years. It is the left, yes you, who has brought this upon us. You own it. Dont come on here and blame Trump for it or any conservative for it. It is the left, and only the left that perpetuates it. Indian names are just the tip of the iceberg.

15-Dec-20
C'mon man, you should know by now that's the way Democrats work.....lie, mislead, cheat and repeat as necessary until you gain P O W E R. They have to do it that way, because if the told the truth about what they REALLY want (which they are incapable of doing anyway) then NOBODY would ever vote for them.

15-Dec-20
There's cool and then there's.. CLEVELAND COOL.

15-Dec-20
Not to start any chit, but why are y’all still watching these America hating kneelers ? Seems counterproductive to me to be worried about a team name while watching a bunch of overpaid fools on their knees because they have been treated so poorly. Someone who looks like them may have, but the players themselves have most likely been coddled since grade school and offered every advantage to get where they are, then most of them are broke when they can no longer play. Tempest in a teapot.......

15-Dec-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
The "Walleyes" have been mention locally before...

Tribe owners, the Dolans released a statement yesterday that the new nickname will have no reference at all to Native Americans cultures, so anything associated with Indians is out...

The AHL hockey team the Lake Erie Monsters changed their name to the Cleveland Monsters a couple years ago... Luv their logo, and attached is my ball cap, which by the way I bought at an Indian's game in the gift shop at Progressive Field a couple years ago...

15-Dec-20
Maybe to be really PC it should be the Cleveland "They".

15-Dec-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Lake Erie Monsters

15-Dec-20
Cleveland Monsters

15-Dec-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo

16-Dec-20
In all honesty, who really gives a crap about professional sports any more?? So many other more worthwhile distractions in this world than pro-sports. I used to love baseball, still do at the little league to collegiate level, but these overpaid and so often "oppressed" pros lost me the second they took a knee on the opener. Far as I'm concerned they should all call themselves the "has-beens"..

16-Dec-20
I appreciate the sentiments, but a little off track to the point I was trying to make.

Tons of threads here about broad heads, blood trails, trail immediately or wait etc. And most of us are hunting with compounds equipped with sights, range finders, NJ (had to get that in there), carbon arrows etc.

I bet natives would have liked all of the broad heads we debate over today. That’s my point, archery hunting today is nothing like what it was when people made everything by hand with only what nature directly provided, and had to do it to survive. Did they discuss much about how long to wait to follow up a wounded animal? This was a tough life and their ferocity is indisputable. Now it is an insult to honor that culture?

Maybe I am leaping to conclusions, but at some point archery hunting seems destined for the same criticism IMHO. The criticism being white man turned archery hunting into something obscene compared to what it originated from. Will there be a major push to limit archery hunting to traditional equipment with all other tackle relegated to a general season?

16-Dec-20

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
To all the Woke teams looking for a Woke name..... I vote for Bronies..... or maybe Soy-Somethings.....

Why do those in charge care so much what non-fans think? Why do they NOT care what the fans think and have to say? Simple, because they are not really fans themselves. It's just a job they do. They work for employers..... corporate employers, not the fans. Such as Sports Announcers and "commentators" really wish they were "real" news anchors and news anchors wish they were actors, thinking they are Brad Pitt.... they feel "relegated" to sports and "demoted" as their personal beliefs and virtuoso virtue signaling.... well, nobody really cares what those are. Just give us the scores and play by play..... we want to watch the game....

It's not just sports.... these same people are intentionally destroying everything of cultural entertainment they touch from Star Wars though Marvel Universe, Gaming.... everything. It's not enough to start their own.....they literally have to destroy what is iconic and appropriate it. Which is yet another irony they are blind to.... "appropriate" is an evil word in Woke vernacular.... unless it is them doing it.....

They not only don't work for the fans or even care.... many times they have an open disdain for them. It seems they can't make the connection of where the money starts off before the corps begin marketing it and manipulating it.

WRT native Americans and archery...... are you suggesting white "cultural appropriation"? They dropped those bows and arrows pretty much the first time they shot a rifle. Same as most sailors quit sailing 3 and 4 mast ships when steam engines came out and people quit using horse and buggies when cars came on the scene. There is production and efficiency..... and there are hobbies. There are still sail boats, horses and archery. But they are hobbies, they are non-essential..... no matter how deeply these things may be embedded in your cultural history. Cultural history itself is in fact just a hobby. Hobbies are things a person does out of choice, interest, even love. I grew up around 2 reservations and knew plenty of NA hunters.... all rifle hunters though. At the time (granted, a LONG time ago) I know of none that bowhunted and most laughed at us packing sharp sticks.

Hey.... what round you think that Player of the Week Vandy Kicker is going in???

16-Dec-20

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Probably didn’t need to discuss that. They were most likely trackers like the Africans are that can track an ant through sand. They probably knew how far ahead to go and in which direction to intercept the animal by where it was hit. A fella I know makes absolutely lethal arrowheads

16-Dec-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear