jstephens61 14-Dec-20
Oryx35 14-Dec-20
Brotsky 15-Dec-20
Mt. man 15-Dec-20
jstephens61 15-Dec-20
JSW 15-Dec-20
jstephens61 17-Dec-20
14-Dec-20
Let me start by saying I believe in the Clubs principles and have been a general member for 5 years. I’ve never entered a animal, been to 1 convention. I received paperwork to become a Regular member a month or so ago.

My issue is, there’s one measurer in Illinois that has 3 game violations against him and plead guilty. I called the Club about it and they said they’d look into it. Nothing.

Searched a guy who used to own Midwest Trophy Bucks down the road from me. He has 8 bucks entered. He has been sued multiple times, charged with transporting live deer without a permit, has several OPs in the past. He has so many violations against him that he had to sell his business because if he was seen taking money from a client, he’d go to prison.

Guess my question is, if the Club has such high moral standards, why do they let guys like this measure and enter animals? Do they just want the money? Before I sign up for regular membership, I’d like to know where they stand.

14-Dec-20
I will try to help, but I do not know any specifics on the issues you brought up, nor is it any of my business.

First the club has to have proof of violations, what the details surrounding them are and when they happened. As with everything these days everything takes time to check out and verify so maybe that is why you have not seen anything happen. Do you know if this measurer is still listed on the clubs list of official measurers.

As for the former outfitter are his violations game law violations or something else? Not sure if the club looks into anything but game law violations.

14-Dec-20
When did you call the office and do you remember who you spoke to?

14-Dec-20
Roy, I don’t remember, it was a lady. Ron, the outfitter has several game violations. The Captain of Illinois CPOs went on a rant one day when I mentioned his name. And yes, the measurer is still listed. The phone call was over 6 months ago and I gave her a website to check the facts.

14-Dec-20
Sent you a PM

14-Dec-20
Responded

14-Dec-20
Clubs cannot take action to remove a member unless someone is willing to bring forth charges, otherwise they can be sued. Is anyone willing to sign their name and reputation to bring forth charges?

14-Dec-20
John, this is not hearsay, it’s a matter of public court records. Easy enough to look up in Illinois.

14-Dec-20
And why would you not stand up for what is right?

14-Dec-20
As a newly minted Regular Member, I can say that I appreciate the OP bringing this up, and Roy looking into it.

15-Dec-20
Roy will get to the bottom of it and it will be handled swiftly and fairly. The club acts pretty quickly on these things typically when they are brought to light. Appreciate you sharing the info with Roy!

15-Dec-20
I have been a member for over 20 years and seen many removed. It takes a bit of time, but I as well as others know Roy will get to the bottom of it. Thanks for bringing it up! The P&Y is top notch in my opinion.

15-Dec-20
Thanks guys. I was worried that posting this subject would bring down the wrath of the gods.

15-Dec-20
The Club takes fair chase hunting very seriously. If we are aware of a serious violation we will take action. You have to realize that we rely on fellow bowhunters to inform us when a member has been convicted of a violation. It's not like the guy told us about it when it happened. We have to be alerted or we never know.

While hunting last month a guy called me to tell me about a problem. I didn't have a way to take notes so I asked the guy to send me what proof he had. Now, 6 weeks later, I've not received anything. That happens a lot. Someone raises a concern but never provides any documentation. Then he is upset because nothing happened. We don't have the resources to pay someone to peruse the newspapers searching for poachers. You have to do that for us.

The Club has to have proof of a conviction before it can take final action. We can't go by rumors or unsubstantiated accusations. If you are aware of a violation that we should know about, please take the time to help us through the process.

We never want our membership or our records tainted by unethical individuals.

You also need to be aware that we seldom publicize it when someone has been removed. Doing so creates another level of liability which we normally try to avoid.

17-Dec-20
Just to let everyone know, this is being looked into and handled.

Thank you to everyone that reached out. It has reinforced that fact that the Club is the place I need to be.

17-Dec-20
Good to hear, thanks.

• Sitka Gear