sitO 18-Dec-20
Quinn @work 18-Dec-20
ahawkeye 19-Dec-20
jerrynocam 19-Dec-20
Heat 19-Dec-20
Quinn @work 19-Dec-20
Quinn @work 19-Dec-20
17-Dec-20
OK since they took away the Community Forum I guess I'll ask here. Bowsite has some great contributors.

Hawaii Newbies!

My family, wife and 2 teenage kids are going to Hawaii 2nd week of March for the first time. We have a total of 7 full days on the islands. I'm assuming 2 islands is about the max we can do with those days?

Looking for non-hunting recommendations as to what islands and where on each island to go. ( I will return one day to Lenai to hunt :)) We are looking for nice accommodations- resort, hotel or VRBO/Airbnb places. We are looking for beautiful beaches, snorkeling, fishing, good restaurants and things for kids to do. We are not necessarily looking for city life as in Honolulu and Waikiki but realize a few nights there may not be bad.

Where has your family gone and what did you enjoy?

18-Dec-20
Is that 7 days before or after the mandatory 10 day quarantine? HI actually takes that seriously (tracks cell phones per my friend who went there for family business recently).

18-Dec-20
No quarantine needed if you take test. Hopefully it’s changed some by March

18-Dec-20
Good to hear, rules must have changed since my friend's last trip.

18-Dec-20
Well make sure you buy insurance on everything. We booked a couple weeks in in Hawaii in March to celebrate some big milestones for my wife and I. We were supposed to leave this Sunday. Hawaii’s “trusted” testing sites made it impossible for us to get there. If you look, most of the sites are in Cali/WA/AK. Those that are nationwide are extremely limited, you cannot make appointments 72 hours prior to testing, and both state up front they can’t guarantee results in 72 hours. You MUST have the results before you step on the plane or it is 2 weeks mandatory quarantine. We did everything we could but finally pulled the plug last week. Hawaii is making it very difficult to go there.

18-Dec-20
We've only done Kauai but I've had several family members do most of the islands. They all agree that Kauai is the best followed by Maui and the big island. We stayed on Poipu Beach and felt that was a great area and would probably stay there again or on the north side of the island. Waimea Canyon is absolutely stunning. Lots of hiking trails to explore. The Napli Coast is a must. We did it by helicopter but you can see it by boat also. Hanalei bay and Tunnels are two great beaches on the north shore. I could go on and on about different areas of Kauai. We did 10 days on Kauai and felt that was perfect to explore the whole island, anything less would've been rushed. Any questions just ask

18-Dec-20
Maui was our favorite. I recommend buying everyone swim fins and a snorkel mask. From there google best places to snorkel on... We hit 5 different spots and saw fish all over the place. What is funny is that as you are swimming, you will see the charter boats pull up with their paying clients!!! Eat at Udon Noodle in Honolulu!!!!! We did a lot of Yelp to find the local places and it was a blast. Eating at food trucks with the chickens walking around is fun. PM if you have any questions. We traveled to Maui, Oahu and Big Island.

18-Dec-20
Be dang careful when swimming and snorkeling. The rip tides in Hawaii are no joke. Many of the beaches do not have life guards.

18-Dec-20
I went last year. We stayed 7 days on Maui. I wouldn't recommend two islands on your schedule. The highlights for me were snorkeling at Molokini and hanging with TD of course. Going up to Haleakala and driving around to Hana are popular also. Whatever you do, if you make it to Maui be sure to go to Mama's Fish House to eat.

18-Dec-20
Maui- Miso Phat sushi, Ono tacos food truck in Lahaina (fantastic and cheap), Thai Chef (It's bring your own beer, fantastic food and a tiny little hole in the wall place), Monkeypod kitchen for fresh fish; buy snorkeling gear and just stop at a snorkel bob's (buy something in there so you're not just using them) and they'll help you out with great spots to go snorkel. go snorkeling earlier in the day and nobody will be out; WI teacher is right a lot of the pay snorkel trips will include that. Molokini snorkel trip is definitely worth it, we usually do ours through the pacific whale foundation. Road to Hana is awesome and a fun day trip, take your time and pull off on a few turnouts and go see some waterfalls. Haleakala sunrise is great too. Bring your good binoculars, whale's will still be there when you're there. We spent a lot of our time having a beer and watching whale's.

Oahu- glad we went to check out Pearl harbor but I hated Waikiki, way too many people.

18-Dec-20
I second Mama's Fish house on Maui! Road to Hana was fun, we went to the local Wal-Mart and bought cheap masks and snorkels, you can literally pull off the side of the road anywhere and snorkel.

18-Dec-20
Spent about a week on the big island, Oahu, and Kauai. Of the three Kauai prob favourite followed by Oahu then big island. Would love to try Maui. Basically the only place I’ve ever vacationed in my life and I can’t imagine anything better.

18-Dec-20
Sunrise on Mt. Haleakala is worth the trip Mama's Fish House is awesome, and if there are kite surfers on the north shore they are fun to watch. Those guys are crazy!!! All this was on Maui.

18-Dec-20
Kauai - 1995 I stayed at the Hyatt in Poipu-It was great, The Swan restaurant, visited Waimea Canyon Catamaran off Nepali coast was great visit Princeville Resorts overlooking Hanalei Bay was beautiful, Kee Beach was at end of road to snorkel.....Maui Hyatt was good Mama's Fish House a must, road to Hana did it wouldnt do again, jumped into 1 of 7 sacred pools along roadside, Bike down Haleakala, helicopter ride.

18-Dec-20
This is great. Thanks for all the help! Definitely some great ideas here. keep em coming.

18-Dec-20
I got some message today they are lowering quarantine to 10 days. Screw em, just turn your phone off..... or get your test app. Up to you, I'm nobody's mother and mine told me I didn't have to listen to people like that.... or at least that's how I took it. I know my first reaction when somebody tells me something I HAVE to do..... If told I HAD to eat my ice cream or I couldn't leave the table..... somebody was going to have to mop up some melted ice cream....

Just a bit of friendly advice to folks visiting HI, FWIW...... if all you were going to have is a week, pick an island and spend the week there. Unless you LOVE airports, car rentals and hotels/condos, with just a week and traveling to multiple islands, that's mostly what you will see.

The islands are bigger than what many imagine. And there is much more to see and do than you would imagine. Maui alone we have a climate that goes from nearly 400 inches a year in Iao Valley to about 15 inches in Kihei, about 5 miles apart. And temps from the hi 80's to freezing in about an hour's drive. Hana should not be missed..... that's at MINIMUM a very full, long day all by itself. Spectacular. IMO Haleakala Crater (sunrise can change your life....) is an easy full day if you do any hiking at all, we spend a weekend in the crater once a year or so and I've lived here over 40 years. If in the winter, we get snow up there now and then, I was snowed on last year bird hunting in Jan at about 6-7000 feet. Summit is 10,000 and that's starting from sea level, not a jump start from 3 or 4 thousand. A full day minimum for a ferry trip to Lanai that can double as a cheap whale watch (they've hit em from time to time too). Might even get in a half day hunt or fishing (personally I'd be getting in a couple or 3 but that's just me.....) All that is without gettin' any sand in your skivvies..... beaches, snorkeling..... lots to do if you like the outdoors. And that's just Maui. Each island is very different and, IMO, should be taken on it's own.

If I had a couple weeks I might think about a couple islands. But you'll lose a day in travel, easy. Just as you lose a day coming in and lose a day leaving.

Just my opinion. And worth every penny..... folks are gonna do what they do anyway..... usually what the family tells em they're gonna do.... =D

18-Dec-20
I'm not sure how this quarantine BS works, but I'd imagine it involves cell phones. How about this..... leave your phone in your hotel room. Just leave it there. Do what you want. They still sell CAMERAS. This country has fallen so far, so fast. Masks, quarantine, etc. How far away are we from Gestapo agents demanding "PAPERS!!!!"? If this is what you want for our country, please, say so. I want to know who's on my side, and who isn't. I can't comment on your VACATION, as far as where you should go, what you should do.... but you are an AMERICAN CITIZEN, and I am certain, you are SUPPOSED to be able to travel freely. Masks. I have a neck gaiter thing I can see through.... it meets the requirements of a "face covering". If I pull it over my eyes, I can see through it. Apparently, it makes people feel better, because when I choose to put it on (very rarely) it seems to make everyone less hostile. I've been asked several times about not wearing a mask, to which I usually reply, "I have a condition. ", which is supposed to end the conversation.... but it doesn't always. When pressed about it, I answer, "I think masks are bullshit. "

18-Dec-20
Maui

Road to Hana- a day trip; Mama's Fish House( best dining food in Hawaii); Kapalua Plantation Golf Course (Tuna sandwich for lunch) beautiful scenic view Home of the PGA tournament winners tournament; Plenty of public beaches in Maui

Kauai

Hyatt Kauai Hotel- great place to stay. Nice private beach. Nice area to hike; Poipu Bay Golf Club- walk from hotel to see where Tiger Woods won 9 PGA Grand Slam tournaments out of 15 yrs.; Tidepools Restaurant at the Hyatt- beautiful dinner venue; Merriman's Restaurant (dinner venue) (in a neat shopping center); Duke's Restaurant (great lunch sandwiches & burgers)- nice view; Helicopter tour of the island

18-Dec-20
Thanks TD. I'm hearing more of your advice from a few people to just do one island and I'll probably do that. Just need to decide which one. They all seem to have their +'s and almost everyone has a different opinion.

18-Dec-20
My family loves Maui. We have 4 boys under 13. We've done that trip twice. 7 days I wouldn't waste time swapping islands. Find a nice place near black rock/Lahaina and settle in. Warm weather, warm water, sun....wish we were going. It's expensive so not something we can swing every year but we try to go every other year. Have great time on the island. No other place like it.

18-Dec-20
I I were limited to 1 island, I would select Maui. I would add in visiting the volcano mountain. And driving the north end of the island.

18-Dec-20
If you're going to do Kauai make sure the N end is open for travel, roads were washed out when I was there. Spent ten days, fished 4 of those, there are Peacock Bass on that island. It's a more laid back environment than the other's they say, depends on where you stay I think. Get a burrito at Da'Crack and thank me later.

18-Dec-20
As of now we have ruled out Kauai. The require a 14 day quarantine and don't accept a 72 hour negative Covid test. That may change but we will probably already have made reservations elsewhere.

Right now we're leaning toward spending a couple days in Oahu as we fly into there anyway and then head to Maui the rest of the trip. Any recommendations on towns in Maui? We'd like to rent an Airbnb or VRBO condo.

19-Dec-20
In my opinion DO NOT GO TO A LUAU total tourist trap and waste of money. My wife and I saved up and went for a honymoon a year after we got married. Loved every second except when we had to leave. There are a few hike to waterfalls you can visit just google it and you'll have a couple dozzen to choose from. Lanikai Beach on Oahu was very nice. Unless there is a specific tour you want to take don't sign up for anything. Don't go on the Pearl Harbor tour on the last day of your trip it's a very sad event in our nation's history. Kind of like reliving 9-11. It's important to go there but it was a real downer in our last day there. My post is full of "do nots" we had a BLAST when we were there just trying ti keep you from a few pot holes. Have fun take pictures!

19-Dec-20
So wife and I have been to Hawaii four times over the years, here’s my 2 cents.

Oahu, the most populated and has a big city feel. The beaches are nice and the Pearl Harbor Memorial is a must see. We did go to the Polynesian cultural center which was nice but expensive, I believe it’s closed right now for Covid. Our least favorite island.

Kauai, beautiful island, Waimea canyon, and Na Pali coast are must sees. Beyond that there aren’t a lot of roads so if you really want to see the rest of the island you need to take a helicopter ride. Well worth the price. Our third pick.

The big island. We like this island because it’s the biggest and it doesn’t seem as crowded because of it. Volcanoes national park is the must see here.

Maui, this is our favorite for a lot of reasons. The road to Hana, the volcano at sunrise, the beaches and the great snorkeling are just some of the attractions. But all that does come at a price in the form of lots of tourists. Still if this was my first trip and I only had seven days this is where I’d go. You could do four or five days on Maui and the rest on Kauai, because Kauai is smaller this would be doable.

If you’re a golfer there are bunches of fantastic courses on all the islands. We like the luaus. I once had a local tell me his family likes to do them because it’s a cheap way to take the whole family out to eat. You do have to do your research because some are better than others. We’ve found the independent ones are usually better than the ones at your hotel.

The bottom line is you can’t make a wrong choice, it’s a beautiful place.

19-Dec-20

Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
My wife and I really liked staying in Kihei. We got a VRBO at Hale Kai O Kihei. It was way better than I could have ever imagined. Pics don't do justice!

19-Dec-20
Thanks for the detailed post Jerrynocam.

Heat I was actually looking at vrbo’s in Kihei . Thanks

19-Dec-20
Thanks for the detailed post Jerrynocam.

Heat I was actually looking at vrbo’s in Kihei . Thanks

• Sitka Gear