BULELK1 20-Dec-20
Cheesehead Mike 20-Dec-20
WapitiBob 21-Dec-20
BULELK1 21-Dec-20
wyliecoyote 22-Dec-20
KSBOW 30-Dec-20
808bowhunter 31-Dec-20
18-Dec-20
My son and his best buddy have never killed an elk and would be thrilled with a cow or any size bull. We have 3 PPs and are open to hunting any Wyoming General unit...we do not pack in...we setup a base camp and walk from there or ride a quad to a trailhead. Any advice ? Not interested in Grizz country....his mother would kill me if I let her baby boy get hurt !!...Really..she would..

Joe

18-Dec-20
My advice would be pick a unit and go. Grizz are going to be in the western part of the state with some areas having heavier concentrations than others. Stay mobile and hunt where you find fresh sign. There are a lot of elk in WY if you know where to look.

19-Dec-20
Not trying to be a jerk, but do like the rest of us have. Look at the WY maps, do some research, pick a unit that gives you a reasonable chance to draw with 3 points, go on Google Earth to search for areas that look good and have as your "plan A", then another spot "plan B", until you have a half dozen areas picked.

The competition for "spots" is getting pretty fierce so anyone that has a decent spot is most likely not going to share much info. We've been hunting the same area since the early 90's and last year was the first year we were inundated with hunters, every day all day long.

With the WY tags going on sale in a couple weeks, you will have to be pretty quick, and like RTJ said, just pick one and go for it. Research will definitely help.

19-Dec-20
Inshart x2.

19-Dec-20
Applications being accepted in a couple weeks. No otc sales of license.

No need to be pretty quick, just get application submitted on time.

20-Dec-20
Coming from Cali might be tough to come do some Winter scouting of the lay of the land, as the snow sure makes it more open than when all the brush is grown in/up.

Maybe do a ski trip to Jackson and take short road trips from there as many of the units around JH are Gen tags.

I've got experience and knowledge of some Gen units as I've had the tag like 12 out of 14 years------->

Not all in Grizzz country either.

Good luck, Robb

20-Dec-20
In addition to not having to be quick, you also don't have to pick a unit that gives you a good chance of drawing with 3 points. If you're applying for a general tag you just have to know which units are general units.

21-Dec-20
Get something on paper, you can change up thru May 10 but you can't change draws; regular to special etc.

21-Dec-20
Ya have 54 units to hunt on the Gen Tag.

Having 3 points and going for Gen elk, I for sure would do the 'cheapie fee'--------->

Good luck, Robb

22-Dec-20
Thanks Guys...appreciate the advice !!

Joe

30-Dec-20
Was in same situation two years ago, there are some really good general units in Wyoming. Their game and fish department website is is supper helpful.

31-Dec-20
Years ago I made my first trip to Wyoming. I talked with biologists and had plan A-E! Plan A was epic so never saw the other options that year. Each time I drew a general tag I would try my next plan on the list to see new country. Have checked them all out now and killed a bull in each one! But still going into a new area this next season if we draw. Lots of good area if you do your research

• Sitka Gear