365 outdoors 27-Dec-20
NEIAbowhunter 27-Dec-20
mrelite 28-Dec-20
heydeerman 29-Dec-20
SBH 29-Dec-20
Will 29-Dec-20
trophyhill 29-Dec-20
20-Dec-20
This is hunting related because if I die from radon I can’t go hunting.

I was about to make an offer on a house. The radon inspection showed a level of 55. Very high. The owners are installing a radon mitigation system this week.

If properly installed will it nearly eliminate the problem? Has anyone here had a problem with their system or were just unable to radon level down to an acceptable level which I understand to be 4 or less?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I’ve gotten both positive and negative suggestions from friends. I really love the property but nothing is worth risking your health. I need to know that I’ll be able to eliminate the problem FOR SURE.

20-Dec-20
Most radon companies will guarantee their solution

You should be fine

20-Dec-20
Make sure the subslab sump(s) cover the floor area. Ask your installer if they perform subslab depressurization tests to insure the system has influence with negative pressure readings. You should have at least neg 2-3 pascals. A lot of systems influence will be dependent on subslab soil types. Sand = good, clays = bad. If your basement is unfinished or don’t care if pvc is visible the price of adding another sump won’t be much more $. Ask questions before and during install to ensure it is installed correctly.

20-Dec-20
I’d just get some new Kuiu duds and wear them all the time, while in the house. If it works on grizzlies, an elemental gas should be no match for it...

20-Dec-20
Why didn’t I think of that! That’s why I come to Bowsite. There’s some funny stuff on here but at the endif the day it’s pretty much a gathering of geniuses. Like belonging to a Mensa club. Do those run true to size or a bit small?

20-Dec-20
I had to install a radon mitigation system in a house to sell it. Cost was not real high, about $1500 15 years ago. I don’t remember the radon numbers but they dropped into the acceptable level, quickly. Really all the mitigation system does is create a negative air pressure under the slab or basement floor to stop the radon gas from seeping into the living spaces of the home.

20-Dec-20
My understanding is the mitigation has to work in order to sell. Tests will have to be done after mitigation. That will indicate if what they did will be enough, or whether the slab will have to have more penetrations. We are scheduled in Feb. to have our house mitigated. Three different tests over about 15 years were all pretty consistent; between about 8.5 and 9.5 in the basement shop. The one test we did on the main floor was just below 4. We were never very concerned, so we haven't addressed it yet. But eventually we will want to sell, so we decided to finally get it done.

20-Dec-20
Last two houses we bought were above 4. We made sale contingent upon getting below 4, i.e. required the seller to pay for installation of the mitigation system, $1500. Last house was 61, with the system is < 2. Central WI = radon hotbed.

20-Dec-20
Maybe JP will chime in when he gets back from his scout trip for his upcoming rutting mule deer hunt. He has recently been dealing with that issue and can probably give some advice or true life experience in dealing with that.

20-Dec-20
In underground uranium mines before the risks were fully understood....1950s and ‘60s timeframe, miners that did not smoke had 2X the risk of developing lung cancer vs the general population. If they smoked and worked in an underground uranium mine it was like 700X normal risk.

Good ventilation systems can control the radon in a mine or in your basement.

21-Dec-20
In 1996 we built a house, that was before radon was a "common thing" to check, it was never brought up. In 2019 we sold it and it failed the radon test immensely. So not only did we have to install a system to mitigate, but we lived there, and raised 2 kids there, for 20 years.

The sales agreement said we would put in a mitigation system, didn't involve a re-test or anything. I asked our agent "why does that make sense?" and his answer was typical for a real estate agent: IF they don't think of asking for a re=test, then it's not part of the deal.

He also told us that most mitigation systems come with a guarentee. But that wasn't my problem. He did point out that now that it's on the record, he had to disclose it to any other buyers if this deal fell through

21-Dec-20
Open the windows!

21-Dec-20
I would personally walk away from it. Not worth it, especially if you're raising kids.

21-Dec-20
You shouldn’t have a problem. Every system I’ve seen installed brings it down to acceptable levels

27-Dec-20
4 0r 50 whats?? PicoCurie, REM??

Most mitigation is via ventilating the foundation or substrate with system designed for that, plus moniting on a routine basis to see if its working.

27-Dec-20
pCi/L

27-Dec-20
If you like the house , make an offer that includes a clause that the house must pass an inspection which includes radon level.

27-Dec-20
I live near you. Had same problem. Installed a system 10 years ago. Still below 4. No issues and fan doesnt bother us. I bought a meter and check it every year at least once. Meter was plug in type off of amazon $100 or so. Seems accurate compared to other types of mail in tests i have done.

27-Dec-20
You won't have any issues if the radon system is installed correctly. When we do cement work for new basements we always put in sump pits with radon lids. I'd just get it tested again. Radon is simple to get rid of and generally not super expensive to correct. If my understanding is correct, because houses are generally shut tighter in winter, the radon levels are higher in winter and make the best time to test. If you like it, buy it.

28-Dec-20
My issue with radon is way too much to type. In short, I know is that the gas comes in at will every time a low pressure system sweeps through the area and leaves when high pressure returns. I am also pretty sure that many of these certified mitigators don't know anything past being certified. I am also not sold that the gas is actually an issue unless you have huge numbers

29-Dec-20
There is an industry standard that is controlled by the industry selling the mitigation systems. The OSHA standard is much higher than the industry standard. You have been breathing radon your whole life. It’s everywhere. There is more money driven myth than fact when it comes to radon.

29-Dec-20
The last two posts are spot on in my opinion. I'm a builder and we have to have them installed on almost every home we build. Mostly we get 5-10 readings.... they have to be under 4 so we just have it installed as part of the bid. It's a joke. Another regulation from our government to add cost. Any system you have installed is guaranteed if you use a reputable company. My kids could install them, it's not hard. The best part is your breathing that same radon anytime you're outside!

My parents sold the home I grew up in about 10 years ago.....it was built in the 50s. Of course current regulations forced a radon test. Apparently I lived in a basement for 18 years with a radon reading of over 25. Lions and tigers and bears oh my! :)

I do have an extra eyeball growing off the side of my head...maybe that's where it came from?

In all seriousness you'll need it installed for when you sell so might as well get the current seller to handle it like you are doing. Should be all good. Congrats on the purchase.

29-Dec-20
So, before finishing our basement a few years ago, we did a test. We came in at like 3.5 or so on multiple tests, so opted to do it for peace of mind (our son is a cancer survivor, so we wanted to reduce secondary risks, and Radon is a substantial risk). It worked and the level was below 1 if I recall - it's been a few years, so I may be a little off.

That said, for about a thousand bucks it was a good peace of mind investment that's required zero work since installation.

29-Dec-20
It’s a lot easier to install these systems during construction rather than 30 years after you’ve lived in the home I’m sure.

• Sitka Gear