krieger 29-Dec-20
Treeline 29-Dec-20
t-roy 29-Dec-20
Novembermadman 29-Dec-20
Novembermadman 29-Dec-20
Duke 29-Dec-20
lewis 30-Dec-20
23-Dec-20
I have a 3ac clover food plot that gets pounded by deer. I have three trail cams covering the plot & every time I pull the SD cards, I'll have numerous pictures of coyotes coming & going. I tried calling at night but they do not respond. Any ideas as to how to get rid of these things. I'm concerned the 2021 fawn crop is going to get decimated ...

23-Dec-20
Trap them

23-Dec-20
get rid of the deer,, the coyotes will leave

23-Dec-20
I'm far better at trapping them than calling them. Have you trapped before, there is a little bit of a learning curve. I've seen rookies strike out and get discouraged after a couple of weeks. A trap shy yote can be pretty smart. Scent control is important.

23-Dec-20
Snares and traps. Check your local regs. Those commies in Wisconsin didn't allow snares last I checked, buts its been a while.

23-Dec-20
#2 coilspring with 4 springs at a dirthole set.

23-Dec-20
Parcel- In Wisconsin thier called dry land cable restraints. What a joke. We can use them from certain dates. Thier really effective in cattail marshes

23-Dec-20
I trap around 40 each year off properties I hunt. My go to trap is mb550. Watch a couple good YouTube videos and you'll figure it out

23-Dec-20
As others have stated, trapping is the most effective, and by far. In many states one can trap them year round. Predator control is essential in most areas. Good luck.

23-Dec-20
I live inMichigan. There is no closed season & no bag limit for coyotes. I think I need a fur harvester licenses to trap. For a rookie, is it easer to trap via a leg trap on a snare? Appears I need to do some research.

I've never trapped before

23-Dec-20
Trapperman.com is a good resource.

23-Dec-20
I think snares are quicker/easier, but it really helps to have sloughs or CRP or some other vegetation where their trails are clearly defined.

In more wide open terrain, you might have to set leg holds on a dirt hole or some other baited set where you can attract them to the spot you set.

23-Dec-20
Raccoons, possums and skunks will all visit your dirt hole and flat sets. Sometimes they need a little control too.

23-Dec-20
We had/have coyote problems. I found a good reputable trapper. He comes every year trapping. We have a good road system on our place for him to get around, about 3 or 4 miles. He gets coyote, fox, fisher and bobcats. He uses a combination of legs traps and snares. He hits it in November for 8 or 9 days and then again in January for about the same number of days.

Just find a good experienced, reputable trapper. Dont know one?? Call your local WCO., he'll know one. Ed

23-Dec-20
If snares are legal, they’ll be your best bet if you can pinch ‘em down to get them through them. Foot holds work too. Set both. Be patient. Keep them from freezing and you’ll get some.

23-Dec-20
For a rookie, leg hold traps are gonna be more productive. Catscratch nailed it on the scent control. If you think a deer is hard to fool, just try to fool a coyote. There are lots of good vids on YouTube about how, where, etc. but just get you a half dozen traps and get after it. Don’t give up, sometimes a trap will lay there a week and then you’ll have a coyote. Yotes hunt with their noses, so place your traps on trails or roads if your property is mostly wooded. They will trot down those trails coursing the wind until they find a smell that interests them. Don’t let it be you ! Wear rubber boots that have been descented, keep an old piece of carpet to kneel on while you’re setting the trap, wear gloves ALWAYS when handling your traps but do not wear them handling your bait or lure. Never let the pad, your gloves, or anything else you use get sweat or hand scent on them. Above all, when you commit, do it every year, right up until it gets too hot. If you trap and quit, other coyotes are always looking for a home, and that will be the place that you just made for them. I can tell you from experience that it will help your fawn crop ! Good luck !

23-Dec-20
Have fun with whatever approach you take. The enjoyment will likely be the biggest accomplishment. The amount trapping and amount of area around the core problem area that is required to have a significant effect on a healthy coyote population is daunting.

23-Dec-20
Drycreek, I haven't trapped in years, but other than making sure the traps were clean and odor free, I never worried about scent. At all.

Like you said, no blood, bait or lure smell on the trap.

Unless its a remake, then it doesn't matter because the whole catch circle stinks.

But I wore leather boots, clean cloth gloves and spit chew all over and caught lots of the stinking things.

I remember catching coyotes in November. Then seeing coyotes come through and dig that old set up through 2 feet of snow in February. They can smell better then we have the ability to comprehend, and will know you were there no matter what you do.

If you get some snow track them. Set snares in the tight spots. You need some cover. Break up outline of snare loop. If you can find where they are crawling under or going through a gap in a fence, its pretty deadly. If legal...

Set traps in the open areas where snares won't work. Get some good coyote gland lure and urine. For bait, save the contents of a deers stomach and mix with deer blood. Gross. But it works.

23-Dec-20
They’re very smart around traps, but that’s the best way to kill them in numbers. Calling is fun, but you won’t kill near as many as a good trapper.

23-Dec-20
Lots of videos on trapping on you tube. A few traps some bait amd your off to the races. Check to see what your trapping season is, otherwise maybe some night vision and a rifle. Also, look for local trappers , they are always looking for land to trap on.

23-Dec-20
Snares are the easiest way to catch about anything. If there is a stream with a log across it a snare will catch every fox, coyote and raccoon. I don't even worry about scent control and use a brand new snare with no dye. I set a pole out in the stream to hold the snare and use a piece of rerod wire to hold the snare in place. the minute a catch is made the animal goes in the water and don't last long. A whole lot of preparation and scent control is needed for leg hold traps. One of my favorites is just out in an open field you put a rock or chunk of wood. Set a couple #2 coil spring traps with the stakes driven under ground. Shorten the chains on the traps to just a few links. If they have a long chain they can lunge and break loose. You dig a hole to get the trap just under ground, put a piece of wax paper over the pan and sift dirt to just cover the trap. Any fox or coyote that spots the rock or chunk of wood will go take a leak on it and get caught. If you have coyote urine that would help but not necessary. Once you catch one it is a better set for another.

24-Dec-20
Wow Thanks for all the info.... Appears there is a learning curve thats required...... I may looking into trying to find a local trapper that is interested in setup on my land. Any suggestion as to how to find a trapper?? Teeton (Ed) above recommended contacting your local WCO. What is WCO??

24-Dec-20
I just went to Facebook and searched "Michigan trapping". Appears to be several pages and groups. I bet joining and asking a few questions would find someone local to you that would trap or even teach you how.

Edit- also did a search "Michigan coyote" and it appears there are quite a few pages/groups dedicated to yote hunting also.

24-Dec-20
Catscratch nailed it. I was going to suggest checking with the Michigan trappers association. You could reach out to one of the trappers in your area. That would be the fastest way to knock the population down some. You could also ride along and learn from them. Be careful it’s addictive and a lot of work/fun.

24-Dec-20
Thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I'll contact the Michigan Trappers association to see if one of their experienced trappers would be interested in trapping my ground.

Thanks again for all of the help... Merry Christmas

24-Dec-20
Instead of calling try baiting them in and shooting them.

24-Dec-20
WCO stands for,,, Wildlife Conservation Officer,,, aka Game Warden.

24-Dec-20
Bait pile sniping.

24-Dec-20
c5ken.......What county are you in? I also live in Michigan and can get you in touch with a conservation officer. They will give you references for a trapper. Overall the fur market is down considerable this year from the market reports I have been reading. Fortunately coyote is one of the lone bright spots. Their fur is still in demand for trim on parkas.

24-Dec-20
Not cheap but get yourself a Trijicon Hunter Mk II and a suppressor to put on your favorite varmint rifle. Then go out at night and have fun! (If that's legal in MI, of course.)

26-Dec-20
Growing up we trapped hundreds of coyotes , our go to bait my was to kill some kind of snake, doesn't matter what , I've used bull and rattlesnake. Put the snake in a 2 gal jug and fill half full of water ,drill a hole in the lid ,set in the sun and let it rot ,it works. Do not get it on you, again do not get it on you,l would be gagging pouring out

26-Dec-20
RW, back in the 70s my dad would bury fish in cans during the summer and use it on his fox line in the fall/winter.

Worst stench ever.

26-Dec-20
I live in Kansas, KDWP just passed approval for night hunting with the aid of lights. We also (my area) have an enormous coyote population. Hoping to thin them out by calling as the land owner does not allow any trapping of any type. I’ve considered asking about using live box traps (he might allow this) but don’t know if they are effective. The cost is pretty substantial as well. Any thoughts? Ty

26-Dec-20
Getting a coyote in a box trap is a real long shot. My brother traps coyotes and cats in Ks. He catches 40-60 coyotes a year in about 6 weeks. He uses leg hold traps and some times a few snares. He uses large box traps 4’x4’x6’ to catch cats. In 40 years, I know of one coyote he caught in a box trap, and it was sick and mangy, probably starving. I’ve watched him set coyote traps. He knows what he’s doing.

26-Dec-20
Mr. Buckhammer, I live in Livingston county,,,

28-Dec-20
I got so pissed off at the hunting in my area getting worse and worse every year that I finally bit the bullet (pardon the pun) and bought a thermal scope for my 22-250 and started picking the coyotes off. Last year was my first year and with my limited time off I managed to kill 16 coyotes within a one mile square area. I'm here to tell you guys, there are more coyotes around then you can imagine. The neighbor shot two more in daylight so that made 18 total. This is in Buffalo Cty, WI. Under cover of darkness the best thing i can compare them to is a rutting buck. They run around without a care in the world. I've seen them in people's yards and run right through farmyards before. Very rarely will you see them being so bold in the daylight. One other thing, the majority of these were shot without a call. They are extremely smart and I'm convinced you will not get a second chance at one that was called in and missed. They do have their favorite travel areas and after a while you figure those areas out. I basically go out for several hours or even the entire night and just walk and scan with my thermal. If you see them before they see you you have a decent chance of killing them. It's addicting, although it just extended my hunting season to year round and the fiance isn't too thrilled about that!! Haha

28-Dec-20

Novembermadman 's embedded Photo

28-Dec-20
^ What thermal scope are you using?

28-Dec-20
I have a Pulsar XP38 Trail

28-Dec-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
I shot this one at 507 yards off my knee while deer hunting. If you look closely, there are rocks in his mouth where he face planted on the access road. We've got plenty here in Kansas.

29-Dec-20
Novembermadman has it correct. Once you get a thermal and see into the secrets of the dark, you can never go back. I rate them like this...

4. The signing of the Magna Carta 3. Finding your first girlie magazine in the ditch when you are 8 yrs old. 2. Seeing your first female, buck naked after reaching breeding age. 1. The first night with your new thermal..

29-Dec-20
For sure Scoot!

Have shot coyotes with night scopes and gotta put #2 ahead of his #1!

29-Dec-20
Krieger....#1 and #2 are not interconnected, are they??

29-Dec-20
Lol... spot on Kreiger!

29-Dec-20

It never gets old!!!

29-Dec-20
Hunting them is fun, but if you are going to get serious about eliminating some you’ve got to get serious about trapping them.

30-Dec-20
We’ve taken over 50 on our place in Tennessee in the last 3 years mostly by trapping but shot some. I have not tried the thermal imaging but sounds very interesting.Good luck Lewis

• Sitka Gear