Overland 31-Dec-20
jrstegner 31-Dec-20
rooster 01-Jan-21
Panther Bone 01-Jan-21
ahawkeye 01-Jan-21
Candor 01-Jan-21
Sand man 02-Jan-21
31-Dec-20
Hello sorry to post in an odd area but this is an odd question. If you waterfowl hunt or maybe fly fish what kind of ankle gaitors do you use under your waders? I just bought a new pair of waders and am now in need of some gaiters. My ideal set would look more like the top part of a tube sock rather than the small ankle straps I'm seeing on line anyone have any suggestions? Thanks this site is an awesome resource for questions like this.

31-Dec-20
I normally just use the $5 bass pro/rogers ankle straps. This year I lost one about midway through season and just simply tucked my sweatpants into my socks. Worked the exact same, a little less comfortable but it did the trick. I'll probably eventually buy some more of the small ankle straps, but probably not for a while. What is keeping you from liking the ankle strap ones?

31-Dec-20
Seems like they would either grab as I slide my foot into the wader or be just as bulky as not having one at all. I've never needed them before but it seems I need them now with the new set I just bought. I was consideri g "wader pants" with the stirrups. But figured there'd be a cheaper route. I'm usually wearing a whool sock, long underwear and pants if any of that info helps???

31-Dec-20
They are slightly bulky, and I wish somebody would make a pair that were 50% thinner, but they do the job and you wont notice it being a big nuisance unless your sweatpants ride up over the ankle strap, which does happen. I will most likely be getting a dedicated pair of "waterfowl sweatpants" that fall right at the ankle, and then just tuck them into wool socks. Another thing you could look into are buying the "jogger" style sweatpants, which come with an elastic cuff at the bottom. Haven't tried them, but I feel like they wouldn't ride up, and theyd be way less bulky to tuck into socks.

31-Dec-20
I agree on the sweatpants. Seems like there would be a material like the old women's nylon stockings to slide your foot in then unroll as it goes up your leg keeping your pant leg where it should stay or a material like a an old style wrist/sweat band about 6 inches wide to prevent the bunching of the pant leg??? Maybe I could make a living inventing and marketing such a product ha ha!

31-Dec-20
Used to be the old cabelas bootfoot neoprene waders would come with little neoprene Velcro straps that would function the same way. I just fold my pant leg over and pull my outter sock over that.

31-Dec-20
Just wear your skinny jeans. Those things are so tight they can’t ride up ;)

I either tuck my pants into my socks or wear Sitka gradient pants. Kind of like skinny jeans but silky slick and with a stirrup. Not cheap but they are the cats meow for wader pants.

31-Dec-20
I wear wader pants - several pairs when cold. They have stirrups so they don't ride up. I'm in my waders many, many days each year.

31-Dec-20
Nite Lite chigger gaiters might be what you are looking for, although they may not fit tight enough. If you don't want to invest in wader pants you could sew some elastic stirrups on a pair of pants easy enough.

01-Jan-21
Like Overland I wear wader "liner" pants with stirrups. Mine are heavy weight fleece and plenty warm. Check Amazon, there are plenty of choices. I wear then under my hunting pants as well when it's cold enough.

01-Jan-21
I’ve nerve needed heavy weight wafer pants under 5mm neoprene. I’ve been in single digit weather with a light and mid-weight base layering, and never gotten chilly at all.

Tuck your layers in your socks.

01-Jan-21
Thank you all. I've been looking at wader pants might be the best bet.

01-Jan-21
I have never had a problem with the bulk of the little neoprene velcro straps. When I forget them I just tuck my pants into the top of my socks.

Also...if you will learn to fold your waders down you will have very little pull on your pants. Before you put your waders in your truck at the house - fold them straight down, front and back, all the way to the ground. then fold them back up and then back down so basically the waders are folded down and you put your foot straight into the boot...not fishing it through the neoprene to get to the boot.

02-Jan-21
I always put a pair of the “spandex” type long underwire on after my socks were already on. Tight enough I never had issues with my socks slipping. In my hunting boots I’ve alway got them sized to leave an air gap, not my waders, I always made sure they fit snug. This helps to prevent slippage as well...

• Sitka Gear