DL 07-Jan-21
Jaquomo 07-Jan-21
x-man 07-Jan-21
bigswivle 07-Jan-21
05-Jan-21

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

05-Jan-21
Three scumbags!

And this story will not receive the press attention an officer involved shooting does.

Brave officer to attempt to apprehend three armed men. Given today’s world, my recommendation is officers should not approach a situation like this alone unless potential harm to another human is at risk. An officer’s life is worth more than whatever animals they were killing.

05-Jan-21
From the news article.....(1) Glad the F&G officer survived and (2) I wonder why the officer didn't have back-up if he was responding to a night poaching case?

05-Jan-21
In many area there may only be one game warden in a county. If they did not respond/approach situation like this they likely rarely would. About anyone a game warden interacts with could turn out like this. Brave guys!

05-Jan-21
I think the article said the county sheriff's back up the F&G officers.

05-Jan-21
I agree, very brave! I thought any and all LE can back up any other LE, they don’t have to be from the same jurisdiction?

05-Jan-21
Hab, yes they can back up any officer from any jurisdiction. (Here in MN anyway). Many years ago you needed to request permission to "head that way" - now, you need only advise your dispatcher you are en-route to that location.

05-Jan-21
The game wardens I know as friends are solely on their own in circumstances when poaching is likely taking place. Yes, if there is a police officer available, they will go with them. But, that is rarely the case from what I know of their job. Because all law enforcement is operating on minimum budgets.

Because evidently it’s more important to budget for prison inmates to get clean clothes every day, three squares a day, plus TV, weight rooms, rec yards, etc.... then it is to budget municipality or state law enforcement agencies to be properly staffed, trained, and equipped.

You could insert a whole host of things in there besides that example. State subsidized drug rehabs, paving the same section of road 4 times in 15 years. Etc... in other words, budgeting for things and agencies that help law abiding, tax paying citizens always seems like it has little priority with elected officials compared to budgeting for a sector of society that doesn’t need it , nor deserves it.

Add that in with the reality that poaching is an instantaneous action that requires immediate response if you want to catch them in the act, you get a lot of calls where the CO is on his own. Against unknown odds and variables. But, as long as Jim bob gets his fourth chance of rehabbing in 7 years, it is never going to change. Apparently it makes most people more happy to see Jim Bob get clean long enough to betray his children again then it does for the average LE officer to go hone at night safe. SMH

05-Jan-21
WV, that’s way too much common sense for such a short post. It’s disgusting to me to know how many DWIs some people have had and they’re still driving every day. Meanwhile, other people hate on the guy whose job it is to remove these a-holes from our highways. Same goes for wardens, they have a hard job with very little thanks.

05-Jan-21
If one officer is all that is there, maybe this is pie in the sky, but get any information possible from a distance and let them go.

Laugh at me for this, but maybe standard gear should include a drone with night capabilities to record and make arrests later. I don’t expect or want an officer to risk life or safety if there is zero risk of another human being injured or killed.

Glad the officer today that will not be prosecuted came down, maybe the pendulum is starting to swing back.

07-Jan-21
A warden where I used to live was a backup for sheriffs Dept. He ended up shooting the desperado.

07-Jan-21
You just never know.. sometimes they know they are caught and accept it contritely, other times they are borderline psychopathic. I've personally never been assaulted when confronting violators, but have been threatened a number of times (once by a biker gang illegally camped in a closed area of a State Park when I responded alone) and twice have had guys tell me darkly that they know where I live, and left it at that.

But a good friend was issuing a warning to a guy whose son didn't have a fishing permit - would have been a $150 fine if he wrote a citation - and the guy attacked him from the side with a sucker punch, beat the hell out of him and had his head underwater before the son pulled the dad off. Then they both told him if he tried to press assault charges they would swear he attacked the dad, who acted in self defense.

07-Jan-21
My son has backed up the local CO a couple times and visa versa.

07-Jan-21
River ranch can be a shady place after dark. Especially on a holiday weekend

• Sitka Gear