pav 11-Jan-21
Mule Power 11-Jan-21
JL 11-Jan-21
skull 11-Jan-21
TEmbry 11-Jan-21
'Ike' 15-Jan-21
10-Jan-21

Bowboy's Link
Here's the the preference points going into the 2021 draw both resident & nonresident. Good luck everyone.

10-Jan-21
Thanks. Great news. Only 10,725 sportsmen have more points than I have

10-Jan-21
Thanks for the info, I have 10PP for mule I’m thinking about cashing in,

10-Jan-21
It's app season! Thanks for the tip.

Skull you're in for a good hunt!

10-Jan-21

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
I burned mine in 2019. I had 10 points. I started building them up again but, I will start putting in for the draw every year now. It’s my 2nd elk using points in Wyoming. I drew 10 years ago.

10-Jan-21
921 14 point non residents only bought Elk points last year, they didn't even apply.

10-Jan-21
Wapitibob. Is that number typical for non-appliers or was it influenced by covid?

10-Jan-21
Don't know, I never calculated it before. It seems high to me but 456 applied for hunts, 164 drew. Assuming the 292 that didn't draw bought a point, it means 921 never applied and only bought points.

Randy Newberg is working on a gohunt article about point only buyers that many don't consider when looking at future draw odds and that sparked my interest.

10-Jan-21
Read somewhere they did $12million in points last year. That alone is more than 41 states made on total NR tag/permit/license sales according to the FWS.

10-Jan-21
I am one of those 14 point holders that only bought a point last year and I am going to do it again this year. If I don't die before I retire, I want to have a few out of state hunts lined up that I can go on. Been bow hunting since 1978 and have never been able to take an entire hunt off due to school or work or family. When I finally draw Wyoming I am hunting the entire season.

10-Jan-21
I’ve considered that my 30-year cost for all-species (not just elk) for WY points, plus app fees and convenience fees will probably end up exceeding the cost of, say, a Canadian Dall Sheep hunt. Of course I do it completely of my own free will, but still continue to question the logic ;-). I guess I keep hoping that a bunch of other people will be smart, unlike me, and drop out. As far as elk, my son & I both have max points. Just biding our time and hunting elk elsewhere for now. Will probably burn them within the next 3-4 years.

10-Jan-21
I am sitting on 3PPs but don't feel like hunting solo this season. So unless I convince someone with 3 points as well I will probably just get another point. I think sometimes that is what happens and then you have a bunch of points and no solid plan.

10-Jan-21
I’m thinking about cashing in 8 deer points in Wyoming in region “I can’t tell you but you probably know” lol

10-Jan-21
"Randy Newberg is working on a gohunt article about point only buyers that many don't consider when looking at future draw odds and that sparked my interest."

I respect Randy Newberg a lot, but that seems like a sort of impossible thing to do.

I believe that over the next 10-15 years, that there's going to be a lot of points, including max points, that follow guys to their graves.

You can't draw every tag, but that's only part of it. There's just a lot of guys who were around when these draw systems were created between 15-30 years ago who were hunters and liked the idea of it, but have never managed the time, money, and/or ambition to put in for the hunt.

I think a lot of avid hunters take for granted how many hunters there are out there for whom hunting is an afterthought. They'll go out for a few days here and a few days there, but don't eat, sleep, and breath hunting on a daily basis. The folks that are like the latter group, do things like spend time on hunting forums because we can't get enough and join hunting clubs. And they're a minority.

The vast majority of hunters, hunt 0-3 days per year. If that's you, it doesn't matter how many points you have. 20 points for all species in 13 different states just means you like the idea of going on a bunch of hunts, but doesn't necessarily mean that you actually are willing to do what it takes to go on a bunch of hunts.

10-Jan-21
It's not impossible. OR gives out points for unsuc applications so those hunters are part of the odds report report but listed separately. If there are 400 guys in your point pool applying for hunts but 950 that bought points only and you don't look at those guys who can jump in any year, you'll be over estimating your chances to draw. At some point those on the sidelines will jump in. Where it gets difficult is a state like WY where points are a separate draw so you need to pull out the guys that applied and were unsuc from those that didn't and only bought the point.

11-Jan-21
That's why I never liked/agreed with the term Point Creep because to me it always seemed like the guys that didn't apply but got a point and then finally applied is what caused the points to draw to increase, not point creep......

Good luck, Robb

11-Jan-21
I just looked I have 12 points and plan on cashing in to do a hunt with my son and a friend in a general unit. Always planned to hunt 39 when I retired. But I would rather hunt with my son his senior year of high school. Found a ranch where my friends are getting into the bulls 6 out of 7 with a bow.

11-Jan-21
If a guy dies with his points that was his choice. Once you have 3 elk points, or whatever.... you have the option to hunt. There are people everywhere who have all these big dreams but never make them happen. So they buy points because it keeps the dream alive but that’s all.

I always assume that guy’s who are saving points in one state ate hunting every year somewhere else. But that’s not the case either. Those people aren’t wired like the folks Idyl described who can’t get enough. Like most of us who’s points are burning a hole in our pocket.

Can you imagine!!! Haha

11-Jan-21
Rob- Your correct about the creep actually not being creep. Guys jumping back in has foiled plans a couple times in Wyoming alone. And I’m guilty of bagging points. However, at times it makes no sense for people to apply with little to no odds of drawing and pissing app fees away for years when I can wait and put in when I have much better odds when I know I can draw. Stay tuned. My group of 3 is putting in with 8 point average for a unit that took 4 points to draw in 2020.

11-Jan-21
I told my son I’d buy his points until he got out of college. I’m saving mine so we can go on a great elk hunt together once he has work solidified and we can plan. Right now I have 12 and he has 8 and I anticipate it will be a few years more before we are ready. I may use all those points on general tags if I can find a spot I’m happy with thru the grapevine and then scouting it. Points to me sometimes are a guarantee I can go hunting where I want, not necessarily a key the the magic “blue chip” unit.

11-Jan-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
FWIW...I never entered the WY draw yet so I don't know when this change happened.

"Nonresident applicants will no longer have the option to apply for preference points when submitting their initial limited quota applications for elk, deer and antelope."

11-Jan-21
Couple years ago

11-Jan-21
Point collecting the new status symbol.

Oh! Ya! thats nothing “10 states, 9 species, 476 total points without regard to the point squaring feature practice in a few states.”

Phew!!! 4 states, 3 species, 533 points.

11-Jan-21
JL - "Nonresident applicants will no longer have the option to apply for preference points when submitting their initial limited quota applications for elk, deer and antelope."

Correct. Now NR's buy big game points in WY starting July 1st instead.

11-Jan-21
Yep July 1 to October 30

11-Jan-21
Yup...been buying them for the last 7 years....just haven't got to the actual draw side of it and didn't know how old that info was.

11-Jan-21
July 1 - November 2 , Mule Power, Few extra day for you to spend more money LOL

11-Jan-21
I approach points similar to Shrewski. Points to me are a way to guarantee more so when I can hunt as much as the where. I typically don’t even apply for a hunt until I am nearly certain I can draw. I put in my leave requests in October for the following calendar year, I can’t leave my fall plans up to fate waiting until June to know. I accumulate too many points in many states this way but the peace of mind to more easily map out my trips is worth the extra fees. That all being said, I won’t be continuing the points game for certain states once I burn the current ones I have.

15-Jan-21
Ponzi scheme at it's finest...Lol!

• Sitka Gear