nowheels 13-Jan-21
Burly 13-Jan-21
DanaC 13-Jan-21
Ollie 13-Jan-21
Shuteye 13-Jan-21
Screwball 13-Jan-21
LKH 13-Jan-21
11-Jan-21
Was wondering if any of you have pictures or ideas on building ground blinds from available materials. I have pop ups but we are wanting to build a couple ground blinds in certain areas. Thanks for any assistance in advance.

11-Jan-21
I make Hay bale blinds from Hog wire. 2 16ft hog panels. The tall ones. Then wrap with matting for landscaping.

11-Jan-21
I like branches, sticks, and grass. Have several spots in each area. Doesn't take much to conceal if you have a good backdrop and limit movement to the right times.

12-Jan-21

JohnMC's Link
Scroll down on that thread

12-Jan-21
I have a lot of hills where I hunt. I contemplated building a covered pit blind into the side of one of the hills.

12-Jan-21
I built one out of 2x4's and covered it with a roll of roofing felt. Fairly cheap and I just wear a black outer layer in it. I have had 8 does within 6 yards and never spooked them.

12-Jan-21
We started with folding hand saws and have graduated to small chain saws. Makes short work of building a deer or duck blind.

12-Jan-21
I’d second the chainsaw

13-Jan-21

Sand man's embedded Photo

13-Jan-21
Artificial Xmas trees. Garage sales in the spring...cheap and durable. A true ever-green.

13-Jan-21
I don’t have any pictures, but I like to use what’s available on site. Blowdowns are probably my most frequently used natural blinds, depending on the location. I killed a small buck in November from a blind in the top of a white oak that blew down in late summer. I’ve also used clumps of cedars, brush piles, hay bales and old farm equipment left along field edges.

I noticed a couple of spots late this year that deer would frequently move past within a few yards that will make great late season blinds, but will require some work to get ready. I plan to get in there this summer and build them several weeks before the season starts.

Sandman, I like the idea of artificial Christmas trees. I can think of several spots where they would come into use, particularly along fence lines with scattered cover.

13-Jan-21
I have all kinds of ground blinds that I hunt out of. Always scouting,when I find a good looking spot, just construct one out of whatever natural materials that are at hand. Blowdowns being my favorite. Then just keep mental notes of wind direction and stand location and when appropriate,plop in and hunt. Got to have close to a hundred built threw the years.

13-Jan-21
Get a copy of Fred Asbell's 'Stalking And Still Bunting". He talks about building improvised blinds. A length of 'duck blind' material and some zip ties works well.

13-Jan-21
I build a basic structure using metal fence posts and dark colored fencing wire and then cut cedar branches from nearby trees and weave them into the blind. Keep shooting and viewing ports small as I have had deer notice me in the blind even with favorable wind and sitting perfectly still.

13-Jan-21
Over the years I have built a bunch. I love hunting from the ground. I once found a place where the deer were crossing a ditch. I cut out a spot in a blow down and it was perfect. When scouting I carry a machete and can cut some branches to stick in the ground. Then I use pruners to nip out shooting places. I put a small stool in there and once had a fawn eating the leaves off the branches just inches from me.

13-Jan-21
Sweet idea: artificial trees. I just sent an email to the family thrift sale people and set a goal of 12 of them.

13-Jan-21
Out west trees and shrubs grow slowly. If every hunter on public land decided to make a ground blind from available materials the results would be devastating. Bring a small piece of camo netting.

• Sitka Gear