General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
CCOVEY 15-Jan-21
Arrow1 15-Jan-21
CCOVEY 15-Jan-21
IdyllwildArcher 15-Jan-21
GF 15-Jan-21
15-Jan-21
Been dealing with pain in the left should (right handed shooter) for years. Finally got to the point where sleeping on that shoulder wasn't an option and i was in pain about everyday. Had an MRI and X ray and looks like im having AC joint problems (osteoarthritis). Had a cortisone shot 5 weeks ago and it felt great for about 4 weeks. Its now quickly going back to being painful everyday and i cannot sleep on it again. Anyway my Ortho is suggesting a distal Clavicle Excision. He said its a quality of life thing and nothing needs to be done right away but its up to me. Recovery time for fully healed is 4-6 weeks im told (from him). Seems fast enough and now is the time before spring bear season. Im 32, in good shape, and lift weights about 4 time a week (background). Anyway, all that to ask if anyone has had it done. Did it work? When were you shooting your bow again? Any long term pain after the surgery? Any info would be great.

15-Jan-21
Had same operation about 20 years ago (about your age at the time). I am a lefty though and it was left clavicle. They went in and ground about 1cm off the bone. I actually did a rifle hunt the following week, Just don't hang your gun on that shoulder or wear a pack. I was probably at 90% after 3-4 weeks, and it really only hurt right after coming out of anesthesia. The surgeon said it would likely never bother me again and it has not. I used to lift a lot of weights, and it is possible bad form caused it, either that or bad genes. It is very common in swimmers with a lot of repetitive overhead movement, In fact as a general term they call it swimmers shoulder, though that encompasses several injuries

15-Jan-21
good to hear Arrow. Thanks for the response.

15-Jan-21
"Im 32, in good shape, and lift weights about 4 time a week (background)."

This is at least part of why your shoulder is screwed up at 32. Weight lifting, especially with a goal of putting bulk on the chest is very hard on the shoulders, especially if you don't work out your back properly/enough.

Your rehab from the surgery will be relatively quick for an orthopedic surgery. It's generally successful and people are good to go pretty quick barring preexisting rotator cuff damage or labrum damage.

15-Jan-21
Whyizzit that guys put so much effort into bulking up pecs & biceps when it’s back & tris that do the real work???

Beach muscles, I guess....

Hope you feel better soon!

• Sitka Gear