adogg437 17-Feb-21
MQQSE 17-Feb-21
adogg437 17-Feb-21
BC 17-Feb-21
yellow eye 18-Feb-21
6-GOLD 18-Feb-21
MathewsMan 18-Feb-21
05-Feb-21
I have shot a Switchback for about 16 years, I am looking to get a new bow. I feel comfortable with Mathews but open to all brands. What is everyone shooting and what do they like about them?

05-Feb-21
Triax, short, fast and bullet proof.

05-Feb-21
Just hung my switchback up and have a v3 waiting for time to set it up.

05-Feb-21
Empty Freezer, that is a shorter ATA than I am use to but,I will give it a go and see how I like it, I plan on shooting some this weekend.

05-Feb-21
Link, I have resisted getting a new bow because the ol bird shoots so well!, but it is not as quiet as it use to be.

05-Feb-21
Don't get rid of your Switchback unless you need the money. Still one of the best shooting bows I ever owned. I still have mine and use it as my backup bow.

05-Feb-21
This question gets asked LOTS. Best answer is to shoot all the brands and decide for yourself. When you have a bow or two in mind, then come back pros/cons for those bows. TODDY

05-Feb-21
Just went with a friend to the local shop. He's been shooting Mathews bows for a lot of years. He shot 3 different Hoyts plus his current Mathews over a 2 hour period at the shop for comparison. He settled on the Hoyt RX 5. Goes to show whatever feels good to you. Gotta get something new once in a while. He said he had to take a Benadryl before he went into the Hoyt shop so he didn't break out in a rash! I told the shop owner I would not touch any of the new bows because I new what would happen! Saved my money to wisely use it on a super bowl board!

05-Feb-21
I looked at some primes recently....may be my next bow

05-Feb-21
Also had a Switchback XT. Went to Bowtech Revolt. Love it

05-Feb-21
I’ve been shooting my D350 since it came out. It was slightly out of tune recently so I took my SR6 to AZ. I like the draw cycle and the way this bow holds. It has 2 settings. I keep it on the “performance” setting. It can be dialed down to a less aggressive setting where it’s easier to draw and slows it down a touch while cranked up to 70+. What a great back up bow that may become my primary at some point. Good luck in your search

05-Feb-21
Personally, i love Obsessions. My FXL is the best shooting bow I have ever owned. It beat the Triax I had, hands down

05-Feb-21
If you can find a dealer nearby at least try one of the Gearhead bows. They look different but in that difference there is a "Feel" you may like. I switched to a Gearhead Disrupter 24 after twenty plus years shooting a variety of Matthews bows. The Matthews bows were really excellent however the "Feel" of the Gearhead quickly made me a convert. Both brands, as well as many others I'm sure, will shoot well it's just a matter of trying them to see what fits you best.

05-Feb-21
It's good to hear that you are not a total fanboy and open to shoot other bows. I am very happy with the old Diamond that I am still shooting. I will try many bows when it's time to replace it. My back up bows are recurves, which are sometimes my primary bows.

05-Feb-21
I’m in the same boat myself with my SBXT being my current bow. I haven’t had the opportunity yet to shoot a V3, the closest archery shop to me in Soldotna (Alaska) doesn’t carry Mathews so I shot a few Bowtech and Prime bows... not really a fair comparison since the draw cycles and let offs are going to be noticeably improved.

I did not like the Hoyt carbon stuff due to the price and them being heavy.

I just watched Levi arrow a Dall sheep on tv and for me I don’t think I have the shooting skills to push much beyond 80 yards even with bows and equipment I know guys that shoot 120 plus yards better than I shoot at 40.

My SBXT is tuned with new strings and shoots better than when I bought it. My main reason for upgrading is solely to reduce the weight on mountain hunts after last fall stalks on Rams. Guess I will see if I get lucky and draw an Archery Dall tag, if not I’ll probably drag my SBXT along and add my rifle to my pack as well.

05-Feb-21
Adogg....I sent you a PM.

05-Feb-21
Been shooting the switchback since 05. I know today’s bow could be loads better and there will be a day when we will part ... but damn that feels awful.

06-Feb-21
Hoyt rx5. The rest are making nice bows but go with the best since it sounds like you don’t replace bows often.

06-Feb-21
Prime Nexus 4.

06-Feb-21
Bou'bound, he is looking for a new bow, not a boat anchor.

06-Feb-21
Go to a shop that carries a number of different brands and shoot as many bows as you can.

06-Feb-21
Held the Hoyt RX5 last week while my buddy was trying different ones. Felt really good and balanced. Told shop owner to get it out of my hand! Tempted me for a moment. Don't need a new bow. Have the RX1 Ultra and its awesome. My friend ordered the RX 5.

06-Feb-21
I have heard from a few different sources the RX5 is crushing it from a "if you pick one up and shoot it, you will end up buying one" perspective.

07-Feb-21
Shoot a few different bows see what you like, I've owned many different brands over the last decade, my favorite now is either bowtech or pse, I haven't tried the new elites, they look great too

07-Feb-21
If I were looking for a new bow, I definately would check out PSE and Elite. The Pse with the evolve cam system very hard to beat. Very fast and very smooth, check them out.

07-Feb-21
I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Hoyt ventum 33

08-Feb-21
Or, you could go trad. Tons of fun and for many the challenge boosts "ordinary" hunts into something more satisfying. :^)

09-Feb-21
RX5

10-Feb-21
Simply hard to beat Carbon Hoyt bows. People love to hate them, but they are a great hunting bow.

10-Feb-21
I would suggest going to a bow shop or shops and shoot different brands, then you make a personal decision which feels most comfortable in your hands and mind. Nothing beats properly fitted equipment and confidence in your equipment.

17-Feb-21
I was able to shoot the Hoyt RX5 carbon, Mathews VXR 31.5, V3 27, V3 31and Prime black. I was most comfortable with the V3 31I liked the draw cycle and bow handle the most. So I went with the V3 31

17-Feb-21
I just picked up my V3 31 today. Maybe I should have shot a bunch more but I liked it as soon as I shot it.

17-Feb-21
Same for me It reminded me of my switchback, So I would shoot a few arrows from a different bow and then shoot the V3 31 against all the other bows to make sure it was the best fit for me.

17-Feb-21
I'm looking at the Bowtech Solution SS. Suppose to be easy on the old shoulders.

18-Feb-21
Yep it is time for a new compound. I have been looking and watching threads on bowsite. I am left eyed and right handed, shoot lefty. It is hard to find lefties too shoot. Had my eye on the mathews VXR in a shop got my hands on both lengths and was going to walk out with 1. Shop told me a PSE lefty is coming in and the draw is better than on the VXR. Closer look at the VXR's and the strings were over twisted by alot so that ended that. Bowtech SS is on my list and the Hoyt ventum But I have had several Hoyt bows and just want to change it up. The search is fun The shooting great with the recurve now and my last compound was bought to be a back up maybe add a new recurve to the list, so many bows so little time....

18-Feb-21
Nexius 4

18-Feb-21

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I started reminiscing about killing my respectable muley with my 54# wing (recurve) at 7 or 8 yards and I went over my 2006 SBXT and other than the weight I figured I’d be able to use it for a while more and dump the new bow funds towards doing a Dall sheep and grizzly hunt this fall with my son that is graduating from college.

• Sitka Gear