Charlie Rehor 10-Feb-21
milnrick 10-Feb-21
milnrick 10-Feb-21
Gunny 10-Feb-21
Habitat 10-Feb-21
Gunny 10-Feb-21
milnrick 10-Feb-21
09-Feb-21
Retired from the Marine Corps in 04. Among other things I was awarded 10% disability for each shoulder and had surgery on the left one before I retired.

Fast forward to this past July, I was having shoulder pain so I slowed down lifting weights to almost nothing. Was playing frisbee with my daughter and when I jumped and reach up to catch one, Had terrible pain in my right shoulder. Pain increased so I stopped working out, month later tearing down barn I had similar incident and felt like my shoulder was ripped out. no doctor because I knew something was wrong and was not going to screw up bow season.

Bear season was right around the corner. I didn't practice at all with the bow and shot my bear with a rifle, I did however kill a doe 5 days later with my bow. Hurt like hell, but got it done. more hunting stories but fast forward to today.

I'm scheduled for surgery March 8th to repair partial torn rotator cuff, full tear in labrum. He will also repair bicep tendon and take out a bone spur, There are also some cysts in the labrum. may have some more issues, but should have a full recovery.

I have first season turkey (April 21st), don't know what I'll use, but should be good for bow season.

Been reading for years how everybody else has had to cope with it, and now it's my turn. Have had several different surgeries and know the importance of PT. Can't wait for those torture experts get a hold of me.

Any ideas in prepping the house before surgery? I'm going to change the shower head out with one that has a hose. Right handed and that's the shoulder getting done.

09-Feb-21
Sometimes surgeons will turn loose of part of the bicep without telling the patient. It will give you a "popeye", be sure to ask before surgery. It will reduce your strength about 10% from what I am told. I have had 2 surgeries on EACH shoulder (rotator cuffs). Open surgeries not arthroscopic, both Drs. said they could see better and recovery was about similar time. Still shooting a recurve, never missed a season, had 2 done in '94 then had both done again in '12. Skreeding mud (concrete), sheetrock, concrete forms, underground mining, shooting very heavy recurves all my life took their toll, now dealing with arthritis. Life is good anyway!! Wouldn't change a minute. Good luck! ...Mike

09-Feb-21
Must be a Marine thing. Sounds exactly like the damage I had repaired in ‘13. Take it slow and do the PT, don’t over do it. Wiping your butt with left hand takes some practice. Good luck brother.

09-Feb-21
Can't help you but thank you for your service.

09-Feb-21
Surgeon told me he was going to release the bicep tendon and reattach somewhere else to avoid the popeye. Says it will heal faster that way also. Told me he will also do minimal damage to my tattoo. Can't wait to shoot pain free.

09-Feb-21
They’ll probably do a nerve block to send you home. When that wears off, you’ll discover the meaning of pain. Removing that spur, messing with bone, is painful.

09-Feb-21
I would also like to thank you for your service. I can't completely sympathize with you as I "only" had rotator cuff repair. My RN wife kept me on schedule with range of motion exercises. Followed PT instructions. It all sucked, but surgery in March and shooting my bow by August made it worthwhile. Sounds like you have been living in pain so recovery might not be so bad. Best of luck to you.

09-Feb-21
Based on what you said is the damage you have no other choice than surgery so you'll have to embrace the suck.

One at home recommendation is to make sure you have an Iceman* (cooler that you fill with ice/water that circulates the ice water to a pad that wraps your shoulder). The little machine is worth it's weight in gold. Thank me later.

09-Feb-21
You may want to go back and and talk to your VFW or DAV rep about those service-connected shoulders. Sooner rather than later. I would think a quality recliner or electric bed would be handy to help you find a comfortable resting position as you go thru the recovery. You could have some long nights if you can't find a comfortable position to lay down. You can find an inexpensive electric hospital bed on Craigslist to use and then re-sell it when your recovery is done. Good luck on the surgeries. They don't sound fun.

09-Feb-21
Reclining chair to sleep in, ice machine wrap for shoulder, PT, then bought 50 lb. bow...all good now!

09-Feb-21
I got out in '71. I had rotator surgery in 2017. Had to shoot left handed for one season (either that or not hunt) but I was successful. PT may kick you ass, but it's still not as bad as Parris Island! Semper Fi.

09-Feb-21
Never had shoulder surgery but separated my strong side shoulder pretty badly once. While you are doing the plumbing work on the new shower head, install a bidet.

10-Feb-21
Bidet's are great but he still has his other hand to wipe with?

10-Feb-21
"Bidet's are great but he still has his other hand to wipe with?"

How many times have you wiped your @$$ with your off hand? Based on your response, I have to guess never.

10-Feb-21
X2 on the left hand wiping LOL also had same side done - bought a new comfy recliner with an electric up and down switch. since I slept in it for a month it was nice to have. Get done asap - should be ok for fall. Good luck

10-Feb-21
IceMan*, new recliner. Two good ideas. I was just thinking about a new one. I have a big man recliner and think I will shop for a new one as this one has about seen its better days.

10-Feb-21
Good advice above. After the nerve block wore off the pain was brutal for a few days then for three weeks the only short sleep I got was in a recliner with ice on my shoulder. It’s a step back but you will move forward. Good luck.

PS: A year after the rotator repair I had a hip replaced which was easy peasy compared to the shoulder.

10-Feb-21
Gunny

My wife, Lady Bowhunter, had a similar shoulder ailment in her right (draw arm) and had surgery to repair/reattach the bicep tendon, repair a torn rotator and remove a bunch of calcium deposits (similar to your cysts). The initial surgery was in late 2016, therapy had her shooting her bow in 90 days. She bear and turkey hunted 2017.

The calcium came back and the pins used in tendon had come loose and required a second surgery in summer of 17. The Ortho removed the calcium as well as the pins. Followed the PT regimen and was good-to-go.

She has noticed "popping" sensation that's actually audible when she first draws her bow (50# Prime). It happens once per session, and always the first arrow, so she's now drawing her bow at the start of each hunt.

The Dr said the calcium and shoulder injury were not related to her bow or plinking with her .308, and we don't know what the cause was, we're glad, however, that its behind her.

10-Feb-21
I had my right shoulder repaired (rebuilt) twice back in the early and mid 70's while on active duty.

Hardest things for me post-surgery was shaving, buttoning shirts and going to the bathroom. You'll figure that all out pretty quick..

You'll be shooting sooner than you think. Start at a low poundage and work your way up.

Hope you have a spendy recovery.

10-Feb-21
I had a surgery on my left shoulder a year before I retired from active duty. I was back to work in a sling two days later. Obviously on light duty. They removed a ridge of bone spurs, released a tendon, and cleaned out frayed tissues. During PT I developed "Froze Shoulder" and had to go back under to get it all broke loose ( that hurt worse than the surgery).

I asked how long I should take off work, thinking a couple of days, and they said about two-three weeks! I now work from a desk, so do I really need two weeks off? Also working from home. 2-3 weeks!?

10-Feb-21
I had a scapulara muscle reattached and that was no movement for 8 weeks and that was far worse than the surgery.I could send you my bent rod that you fasten a corn cob on so you don't have to use your left hand.Do your PT and you won't have issues shooting after.Usually a rotator cuff surgery is these little biddy cuts but don't know about yours.My surgery was a 8 inch slice and my daughter had the labrum repair from softball when she was 18.She won't ever throw a softball again but she can shoot a bow no problem.It sometime limits the over hand function

10-Feb-21
Surgeon told me it will be four separate incisions. The fourth is because of the bicep tendon repair.

Bent rod? I may have to engineer something like that. Was thinking about rigging up an old bench grinder with a paint roller.

10-Feb-21
Gunny

Give yourself 2 weeks off, even if you work from a desk. Your first inclination will be to use a keyboard while you're in your sling- I made that mistake years ago thinking I could use a typewriter and experienced a bunch of discomfort from continued tendon flexing.

Millie made the same basic mistake thinking she could text and use her iPad with her right hand - flexing hurt the shoulder tendons. She quickly adapted and started using the left hand.

Follow PT directions...

• Sitka Gear