WV Mountaineer 19-Feb-21
FORESTBOWS 19-Feb-21
BULELK1 20-Feb-21
Shiloh 20-Feb-21
ahawkeye 20-Feb-21
WV Mountaineer 20-Feb-21
HUNT MAN 20-Feb-21
17-Feb-21
This is for you guys that like to cook wild game, fish, fowl or big game.

Have you ever wondered if the wild game meal you just prepared, that special way, cooked and then eaten, you and your family were the only persons on earth, that night, to be eating that exact special meal on that very night?

Tonight was that night for Tricia and I. Wild Mallard duck breast, butterflied in half, each half lightly dusted in flour and season salt, sautéed in butter and Veg oil, then covered with a Port wine- currant jelly sauce, cooked med. Served with wild rice and crispy Brussel sprouts. I almost licked my plate clean. I really doubt if anyone else on the Plant was eating this very same meal, this night.

How about you?

17-Feb-21
I had synthetic chicken, it went moooo,

17-Feb-21
Never really thought of it like that. My train of thought has always been everyone eating what I was that night, didn’t cook it as well as I did.

17-Feb-21
Paul, That sounds delicious! I hadn't thought about it, but as hunters we probably have that opportunity more than most!

17-Feb-21
Mine was as follows, but 3 days ago and still eating leftovers.

Venison hind quarter cut straight out of the cooler after hanging for 3 weeks. Cubed entire quarter in small chunks. Browned meat and whole large onion After meat browned added carrots and then covered with water and turned heat down. Added potato cubes about halfway to done Thicken with corn starch and season with Worcester, salt and pepper. Never wondered if anyone else was eating the same, but I bet plenty would wish they could!!!

17-Feb-21
My Wife and I are always saying "can't beat this, at any restaurant" .

Nothing better, than home-cooked wild game!

17-Feb-21

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I love having a romantic dinner with my wife, wine, but nothing else can beat cooking your special toughest animal on your wish list on a fire with a stick.

18-Feb-21
Scott’s eating Stone sheep! Lucky fella.

18-Feb-21
I took out some Oryx backstrap to thaw and cook later today.

Good luck, Robb

18-Feb-21

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Dinner sounds good Paul. I use a cherry-balsamic reduction on my elk steaks that sounds similar to your port/currant sauce. Okay, I didn't catch these and very likely someone else was having a similar dinner but like elkmtngear stated it's not as good as ours! Wild caught Argentina red jumbo shrimp in a beurre blanc sauce with capers. Served over a bed of angel hair pasta and Caesar salad with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

18-Feb-21
Nope, but now I probably will.

18-Feb-21
Paul, your meal sounds delicious. I had never thought about being the only one to be eating a meal of wild game at a particular moment but now I probably will. Very cool perspective.

My mind wanders often when I'm hunting to thoughts of; "I wonder when the last time anyone was here in this exact spot hunting, if ever?" Where I live and do most of my hunting in PA (right behind my house) has a pretty neat history of Native Americans so I think about that a good bit and feel a connection when I'm carrying my bow.

18-Feb-21
That would be a lot better with sweet tea Russ!!

18-Feb-21
Elk brazioles fir dinner tonight. Lots of work so it’s been awhile and very much looking forward to them!

18-Feb-21
Sorry Paul, just boring old Elk burger tacos last night. Cilantro and red peppers helped.

18-Feb-21
Paul that is exactly what I had last night! Please tell me you aren’t cooking bald eagle on the grill tonight also.

18-Feb-21
Sounds great Paul. Every week my wife and I comment about the special wild game meals we have. Had a cut of marinated venny cooked to medium rare perfection on the traeger grill. Black bear and pheasant have been especially tasty this year.

18-Feb-21
And it all goes well and fantastic,.........,until you bite down hard on that #2 steel shot.

18-Feb-21

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
Yes sir I dine on mallard duck frequently.

18-Feb-21
Mule! Staying with Pauls theme....I wonder how many non Italians on the site know what a "braciole" is?? LOL. I was just telling my wife we need to make elk braciole soon! Ever make Spedini using venison? Like crack.

18-Feb-21
And I thought someone was gonna mention Ash Wednesday...lol. Had fish last night, but some venison shepards pie tonight...kids favorite.

18-Feb-21
cord62, I almost spit out my coffee!

18-Feb-21

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
Me and my youngest enjoy waterfowl as well. Two man mallard limit and some bonus greenwings.

18-Feb-21
Lmao Cord n wv...

Thats some deep thinkin paul. I like it. Us hunters are a blessed bunch.... U guys r makin me hungry and im not sure what the plans for dinner are, but it aint gonna be fancy enough

18-Feb-21
You talk of biting shot, well I have ate many game birds taken with shotguns. Steel and Lead shot. I have bit into a few lead shots, but was always careful when I knew steel was used and ate accordingly. Well, I bit into a venison chop from a deer I shot with a bow and bit down on something that chipped my tooth. A frickin T shot steel pellet? Evidently someone took a crack at this buck from there vehicle or something with a shotgun loaded with T-shot. That was a surprise.

18-Feb-21
Any time we eat Bobcat I am pretty certain we are the only ones in the world that night eating it, let alone the way we are eating it. Maybe not, but sure feels that way.

bobcat is one our family favorites. Also when I make my signature dish of cottontail for Christmas Dinner we are in very rare company if there are any at all.

18-Feb-21
Mallards are tough to beat. Ditto on the #2 steel shot with next-day visit to the dentist... don't ask me how I know.

Dove & squab slow cooked in mushroom gravy over mashed potatoes are also a family favorite.

18-Feb-21
Not sure how it can get much harder than steel, but I can assure you that tungsten #9's will take a part of your tooth down the pipe with them!! Makes my mouth hurt thinking about it!

18-Feb-21
WYOelker, I’d love to hear those recipes you mentioned.

18-Feb-21
I have done pretty much "all" the cooking in our house the last 20 years. EVERY meal is one of a kind & not found in a resturant.. Yesterday was Rib Eye's cooked to each ones desire, My mashed potatoes, with skins & sweet corn my daughter prepared from her garden last summer. Breakfast a couple days ago was pepper gravy with wild hog sausage & GREAT chit on the shingle (military way for toast covered in sausage gravy). Wild biggame, I love to cook it on the grill when possible.. No shortage of "how to prepare" at this house.

19-Feb-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Got 'em getting some flavor over night in the bowl and spices/Virgin Olive oil.

I think it was Nick (midwest) that gave us the idea of the tenderizer over the old school pound mallet style tenderizer.

It worked great.

More snow coming today so my home will smell great as I cook these up!

Good luck, Robb

19-Feb-21
I wonder if the people lined up at the Chick Fil A drive thru ever wonder that!

19-Feb-21
Venison hot Italian sausage with finely chopped onion, peppers, olives, extra fennel seed & feta cheese added to the mix before stuffing. Sous vide at 151 degrees for an hour & a half then seared in cast iron skillet to finish. Served with sliced caramelized peppers & onions.

All of the dishes on this post sound delicious & just one of the elements as too why we hunt. As stated......"you can't get this in a restaurant"!

19-Feb-21
Yesterday for lunch it was a Mt Lion sausage sandwich topped with bread & butter pickles and mayonnaise. I'm guessing that I was solo on that one too ;-)

19-Feb-21
Nope, every duck I ever prepared I took one bite, tossed it, and ordered Dominos! Me no like duck:(

My wife's granny made elk wellington once that just melted in your mouth and her grandpa said "I wonder what the poor people are eating tonight?". Pretty funny statement considering his financial status..

19-Feb-21
No

19-Feb-21

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
I'm not much of a gourmet type wild game prepper. But we love it marinated in Italian dressing, wrapped in bacon and grilled. Doesn't last long at my house.

19-Feb-21

Dirtman's embedded Photo
Dirtman's embedded Photo
Cottontail Cacciatore from last night!

19-Feb-21
I've wondered it often, Paul.

Made a venison, pheasant and coyote meat chili one time. If that didn't make it unique enough, I lived in Indiana at the time and didn't put beans in it.

Against my wishes, a guy I knew killed a big Northern Diamondback water snake. One of my life axioms is, "If it's made of meat, it's good to eat." So I cut into manageable pieces and cooked it up with some olive oil, onions, garlic and a red wine reduction. It was also filled with egg sacks, or embryo sacks, or whatever the correct terminology. They give live birth and these items looked like eggs, so I cooked them up as well. Pretty much tasted like eggs. There was enough of each for my wife, sister-in-law, a couple neighbors and me. Everyone seemed to like it. Actually the egg/egg-like parts tasted like eggs. And I was 100% positive nobody was eating that exact meal besides us that night.

19-Feb-21
Guys

Thanks forc starting this thread.

Millie and I were just talking about making braciola from some WT backstrap with what my family called Sunday Gravy.

Linguine, venison/boar sausage and backstrap braciola... cant wait for Sunday!

19-Feb-21
You win Hackbow and I'm not the least bit envious!

19-Feb-21
Oh boy, bacon wraps!!! Thems tasty.

19-Feb-21
We had bacon wrapped turkey tonight if that counts.

19-Feb-21

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
Tenderloin
Tenderloin
My favorite. Deer heart
My favorite. Deer heart
Shoot, let’s turn this thread into a love fest of yumminess.

Some Turkey nuggets and collard greens, deer meat wraps with fresh shrimp, tenderloin, and deer heart.

19-Feb-21

Homemade veggie soup with ground deer meat. Yummy!
Homemade veggie soup with ground deer meat. Yummy!
Not wild game but, it sure goes good with it!!!!!! Pickled cauliflower with habenero peppers. Smack your lips
Not wild game but, it sure goes good with it!!!!!! Pickled cauliflower with habenero peppers. Smack your lips
Fried catfish and crappie
Fried catfish and crappie

19-Feb-21

FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo

20-Feb-21
Sure are a lot of good eats being featured!

Maybe we all could get together and do one of those Home Delivery Meals of Wild Game to eat! They seem to be advertised everywhere but nothing for Wild Game.

Fun thread Paul

Good luck, Robb

20-Feb-21
Bet you paid a pretty penny for those bugs to get them to WV!!

20-Feb-21
All this stuff looks great! As far as Paul's OP, I often think of how you can't buy food this good in restaurants. I've never been to a high end restaurant but they'd have a hard time beating my grilled deer loins mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables.

20-Feb-21
Shiloh, I went Gulf Stream fishing off the coast of NC. Picked them up on the way off the island. Nothing we buy out of markets compares to fresh shrimp. That’s for sure.

20-Feb-21

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Tomahawk deer steak..

• Sitka Gear