RW 27-Feb-21
The last savage 27-Feb-21
rattles33 28-Feb-21
DL 28-Feb-21
nowheels 28-Feb-21
nowheels 28-Feb-21
APauls 28-Feb-21
26-Feb-21
I was watching Rusty Wallace telling a story about Dale Sr. He was at Dale’s place and he brought out a new bow to show Rusty. It was a few days before they were to leave for Daytona. They were out a ways from behind Dale’s shop. Dale wanted to show rRusty how fast the new bow shot. So Dale set up something to shoot at on the side of the shop. He drew and let the arrow fly. Rusty said the arrow disappeared into the wall. Dale said OH ####!! He went running into the shop to find oil running from the car. The arrow had gone into his Daytona car skewering the oil cooler. Story reminded me of what a kid would do.

27-Feb-21
I remember many years ago reading a story about a couple of gun writers who arrived at a ranch and thought they would just double check their scopes’ zeros before the hunt began, so they were instructed by one of the hands to tack up their targets on the side of an old unused barn…

Later, their host mentioned that he was very glad that their scopes had not shifted and that they had only needed one shot apiece to confirm the zero.

Because now he only had to patch TWO sets of holes through the side of the brand new Cadillac he had bought for his wife and had hidden in that old barn...

I guess they all got lucky in that they hadn’t shot through the engine block...

27-Feb-21
My late Dad told a story about his one and only experience with archery. He bought a recurve in the mid seventies. Took it out just before dark and shot an arrow at the side of the chicken coop. Pinned a chicken to the far wall. Sold the bow to our neighbor.

Never knew if it was a true story but it was good one.

27-Feb-21
My brother in law was running a trap line when a fox crossed a pipe line and he fired two 22 rounds at dusk. The next day he found two holes in the passenger side door of his Chevy Impala. Trajectory, car placement had to be perfect as he was close to half mile from the car.

27-Feb-21
As a dumb ass 20 year old,i was always the first to arrive on the framing site at daylight. My buddy pulls in, im looking at my new compound, he says, how fast is that thing? Oh its a rocket i proclaimed. Do you think you can shoot through that porto john toilet? No problem.!!!! So i blasted a field tip right through the center of the door! He laughed ,,,says,,i hope no one is in there!! I was terrified to go up and open the door. Homeless people used it constantly at all hours... thank god. It was empty....

27-Feb-21
Shot a coon in the barnyard as a kid and watched a flotation tire on a wagon go flat. A coon will not stop a Stinger.

27-Feb-21
Since we are "telling on ourselves. Flattened a new tire on my truck with a two blade Eskimo. Arrow went through the target, skipped off the drive way, & stuck in the side wall an inch below the rim. Truck was 30 yards passed the target. Stuck a field point in the neighbor's garage one too. She pulled up as I was breaking the arrow off.

27-Feb-21
I went and picked up my dad four years ago for a weekend hunting trip. We carried everything to my truck to load up. I had to set my longbow up on the tool box.

We got the truck loaded with everything but his longbow. I was busy packing mine when he walks up and asks me if I could hit a Leaf laying in his pasture about 25 yards out. I said yep, nocked a blunt up and pinwheeled it out of the truck bed.

My angle was different and I had a blunt. He pulls a field topped arrow out of his quiver. I told him not to shoot it as it would ricochet. He didn’t listen. His arrow skipped, flew about 70 yards and stuck through the fender on a blazer he had setting out at his barn.

Funny stuff.

27-Feb-21
haha....some good stories!

27-Feb-21
Broadhead tuning from 60yds. Arrow tipped with slick trick went just over target and center punched the cable feed box for the neighborhood. Couldn’t pull the arrow out so I simply unscrewed the arrow, and checked my tv’s. To my surprise all seemed well and I believed I just killed the box and mixed the goodies. A few days later I came home to find an entire new cable box installed. Wonder what the tech thought when he troubleshot and found a four blade buried inside the cables.

27-Feb-21
sounds like its because of you guys that I'm not allowed to site in my bow in my backyard lol

27-Feb-21
Well, let’s see... I’ve shot an old iPhone before while trying to video my traditional bow arrow flight. That was costly. It was the last shot of three groups of six arrows too. Centered!

Then another time I went through a very beat up 3D target and into the wood panel of my shed. No problem, but this time it was a bit tougher to pull out. Finally, after numerous tugs, it broke free. Now... fast forward a few months and I was out changing the oil in my truck. I put the plastic catch pan under it, pulled the drain plug, then climbed out from under the truck to let it drain. When I came back out I could see a stream of oil going down my driveway. WTF?! After further investigation, that last shot that went into my shed, had also pierced a hole in my oil drain pan about halfway up. What a dumb dumb.

27-Feb-21
Hey Rick any chance you were able to salvage the video?

27-Feb-21

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Nope, never could recover the video. Would’ve been cool to see.

27-Feb-21
Rick, I did the same thing with a digital camera. I too was recording incoming flight of my arrow from my trad bow. I thought it’d be cool. It is if you don’t hit the camera.

27-Feb-21

27-Feb-21
Years ago I bought a new video camera to try my hand at some outdoor type filming. I was at a buddies place and saw a woodchuck about 60 yards out. I had my .44 mag with me and set up the camera next to where I was shooting from to video the shot. After the shot (that I missed) the speaker wouldn't work. Took $180 to fix after the blast from the revolver (between the forcing cone to the barrel) concussion blew out the speaker.

27-Feb-21
Over 30 years ago, a buddy and I had both purchased new bows. He, I, and our wives rented a townhouse in Breckenridge for a weekend of skiing. We decided to bring our new bows to do some target practice in the evenings after skiing.

The townhouse had an alley running behind it, with a high embankment on the other side, so we placed our target in the alley and began to shoot from the rear deck on the townhome. At one point, a Subaru turned down the alley just as I came to full draw. As I attempted to let down, my finger hit the trigger on my release, and I sent an arrow directly into the Subaru's rear tire.

Our initial instinct was to run inside and hide, but I knew that would cause the owner of the Subaru to call the police, and I would surely be charged. So, I went back outside, confessed to what had happened, and told the owner I would do whatever was necessary to make it right, if he wouldn't get the police involved. Which he thankfully agreed to.

So, I put his spare tire on for him, and we exchanged information. The next day, I had to drive all the way back to Denver to purchase an identical tire and have it mounted on the rim. Then I drove back to the guy's house in Breckenridge and swapped the spare tire for the new one.

That was an expensive lessen about the dangers of shooting a bow within city limits. And I thanked God that it didn't turn out worse.

Matt

27-Feb-21
College roommates and I thought it would be a good idea to shoot in the rental house we had. Longest shot was from the back of a bedroom, through the door, through the living room, through the kitchen, and to the target sitting in front of the oven. First shot zipped right through the bullseye and into the oven door. That was the last shot (indoors).

27-Feb-21
Dale Sr. wanted to go elk hunting. A friend of mine and world record holder in 3D took him elk hunting and called in a nice elk for Dale. He said Dale was a really nice guy.

27-Feb-21
I walked into what was at the time really the only note worthy archery shop in the Houston area, this shop actually designed and manufactured their own line of hunting and target bows. I looked behind the counter and there hanging on the wall was a new hunting bow, they actually offered one with re curved limbs and that's what was hanging up, I believed they called it the "44 Mag". I said "cool someone is picking up their new bow" the shop owner grabbed it and handed it to me and said, "yea look who's name is on it"..... The bow read, Dale Earnhardt.

I always thought how cool, I got to draw DE's bow before he did. I even think he hunted with it on a couple of episodes of Realtree's Monster Bucks.

27-Feb-21
I could write a book about the stupid stuff I've done with bows,guns, and explosives, but I better wait till the statute of limitations runs out. If my poor mother knew of all the holes in the house that I grew up in she would probably tan my hide still. No one was maimed in this one, that I know of anyway. A friend of mine had an old upright piano that he wanted to get rid of, so we took it to my shooting pit,old silage pit, put 15 lbs of tannarite in pvc tube,backed up about a 150 yds and my son shot it with a 6.5 ,Oh my gosh it shot one of the end caps 50 yds up and 50 yds towards us , the little felt hammers were falling from the sky. That was several years ago and anytime we go shoot you can still find them.

27-Feb-21
It’s a wonder males ever survive youth. We had an eastern Oregon historian come speak at the ranch where hunt in Oregon. He said check out pioneer cemeteries sometime like the one down the road from us. He said you will find an exceptionally nice headstone every once in a while among common headstones. It will usually be from a young male. Typically he’s found that there had been several young fellas out doing stupid stuff when one of them got killed. The other young men would feel so bad or guilty that they would pitch in and buy him a nice headstone. So we checked out the cemetery and sure enough there was one there of a 20 year old. I forget what they were doing. There was also a headstone of a 12 year old. “Killed By Indians”.

27-Feb-21
My son's friend was sighting in his shotgun with slugs before the firearm deer season. When he arrived at his range, he discovered he forgot to bring the sled to hold the firearm steady.

No problem, I'll just lean across the pickup truck bed, sure enough a quick glance through the scope showed this was a good rest.

The only problem was the bore/muzzle was way below the line of sight of the scope and the first shot went through the top of the box putting a 12 ga sized hole in his new truck.

27-Feb-21
I made a new recurve for an elk hunt ten years ago out of green mountain camo action wood. Nice looking bow but I didn't get a shot on the elk hunt. Got home and between catching up on chores before heading off on the weekend for Wisconson's bow season I was shooting a few arrows at my deer target behind the garage. Laid the bow in the grass and went to pull the arrows. Then to the garden and decided to cut the grass. First pass around on the orange tractor I heard a loud noise and realized I just ran over the bow. Wrecked the limbs and gouged the riser. Made new limbs and now the bow is named after the tractor......Simplicty.

27-Feb-21
As a younger man I used to shoot a 98 pound Golden Eagle compound bow. Read an article that the best way to really determine if the bow was quiet during your draw was to turn out the lights and just concentrate on what your hear without distraction.

Because I wanted to get the full effect of 'arrow squeak' on the rest; I loaded the 2219 arrow and pulled it to full draw in the back bedroom. I shot with a release aid then and I guess once I got the 750 grain arrow back and was holding 98 pounds; I got confused and hit the trigger. It went through the bedroom mirror, the bedroom wall, through the outer bathroom wall and came to rest above the toilet in the far side medicine cabinet...sticking in a large container of cotton balls.

My wife comes in looks at the mirror, then walks into the bathroom and saw the arrow sticking in the medicine cabinet and says 'its good I wasn't on the toilet!". That's about all she ever said other than to recommend doing that stuff outside.

I had something far worse happen once that turned out fine' but I'd rather just forget.

27-Feb-21
I went hog hunting in January with my best friend, killed a good one, my friends little brother killed the side mirror on his pickup with a 7mm , said cross hair was on hog , I still can't figure out how he did it. I'm thinking alcohol might have been in the mix kinda scary.

27-Feb-21
Id rather be killed by Indians that hit and killed by a jetta in Baltimore........

28-Feb-21
Broadhead tuning from 60yds. Arrow tipped with slick trick went just over target and center punched the cable feed box for the neighborhood. Couldn’t pull the arrow out so I simply unscrewed the arrow, and checked my tv’s. To my surprise all seemed well and I believed I just killed the box and mixed the goodies. A few days later I came home to find an entire new cable box installed. Wonder what the tech thought when he troubleshot and found a four blade buried inside the cables.

28-Feb-21
I hope no women read these.

28-Feb-21
rock50, a coworker of mine did that same thing with his .308.

It was an old beater truck, so he chose not to repair it but the exit hole was about 3 feet behind the driver’s door, so he was reminded of his mental lapse every time he drove it.

28-Feb-21
I skipped a Snuffer tipped arrow off the top of a target several years back. A second or so later I heard a loud “thunk” and went searching for the arrow. I finally found it 30 plus yards beyond the target stuck into the side of a dog box that my lab would ride in during the cooler months. Fortunately, the dog wasn’t in it!

28-Feb-21
Took my FIL target shooting. Set up a chair beside the tailgate figured that’s a nice height. First shot from the 7Rem mag concussion blast took out my tail light. Smart

• Sitka Gear