GF 02-Mar-21
Scooby-doo 03-Mar-21
Tradnut 05-Mar-21
MichaelArnette 05-Mar-21
Paul@thefort 06-Mar-21
DanaC 06-Mar-21
DanaC 06-Mar-21
01-Mar-21
Of those that have used a bow/or gun attached decoy (turkey, deer, elk, pronghorn,etc,) have you had any close/negative encounters of being mistaken for the real animal/bird by another bow or gun hunter, hunting that same species?? Just, a NO or a YES

The reason I am asking this question is, this subject of attaching a decoy to a bow/gun is an issue being presented to the Colorado CPW Commission by a Commission member. The issue paper shows that there has been no negative encounters but believes the Safety of the hunter might be a issue and wants to prevent any future accidents.

The alternative are,

1. Ban the use of decoys attached to bow /gun

2. ban statewide

3. ban only on public land

3. hunter must wear Hunter Orange hat.

4 Status Quo. NO regulation

01-Mar-21
I'm ok with some laws that protect others from something stupid I might do. Not a fan of laws that protect me from my own stupidity. Not that a bow mounted decoy is stupid but the general idea of protecting me from myself doesn't sit well. The ability to risk our own safety, money, reputation, time, etc., is essential to accomplishing things.

01-Mar-21
does getting blown into the next county on a windy day constitute a risk situation?

01-Mar-21
Hey, I like the idea, let the stupids sort themselves out, Darwinian style. Some go to jail for manslaughter, some go to the grave. Win-win situation.

01-Mar-21
Joking aside, you could probably work that on 1000 private acres, it would scare me to death hereabouts.

01-Mar-21
no

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
No regulation.

01-Mar-21
no

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
No,

01-Mar-21
NO

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
Are the Colorado Commissioners all California transplants ? Sure sounds like something California liberals would come up with.

01-Mar-21
No. If a compromise has to be reached, the orange tape like the ones on the Ultimate Predator decoy would be acceptable. What good is the hat when you are hiding behind a decoy?

01-Mar-21
NO.

Then lets ban tree stands - look at how many injuries from that.

As what has been posted MANY times - more likely to get killed driving a vehicle!

Government - "lets put another law on the books."

01-Mar-21
Medical marijuana at its best !!

01-Mar-21
no

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
I know 3 hunters that have been shot by another hunter during turkey season one lost an eye I certainly would not do it on public land to each his I just hate to see the government getting involved Good luck Lewis

01-Mar-21
No People get shot just wearing camo. People get shot wearing hunter orange too.

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
Nope, used them on public and private with no issues.

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
Paul, do you have the proposed paper? I can't find it on the Commission website. Great example of ignorance-driven policy.

So it will be fine to hold a decoy out in front, or hide behind one, or to wear my deer and elk hats (and others with Be The Decoy suits) so long as Velcro isn't involved? They want to outlaw Velcro?

No issues with me with any danger from any decoying, worn, bow attached, or any other way. I know one guy who had his Montana elk decoy stalked by the same guy and his wife two days in a row, but they didn't shoot.

01-Mar-21
NO!

01-Mar-21
No, but a coyote did mistake me for a pronghorn once while using a decoy l made from an antelope cape (not attached to bow though).

01-Mar-21
I'd try it stalking pronghorn, with a bow, but never a gun

01-Mar-21
No.

01-Mar-21
No regulation

01-Mar-21
Seatbelts is my choice just can be expensivel

01-Mar-21
NO!!..

This is Stupid, a Stupid Post and Stupid idea!! Be responsible for yourself!!! Be safe, be cautious, but you can't outlaw stupid!

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
No, but only tried it once or twice on private property.

01-Mar-21
No.

01-Mar-21
No...as long as the decoy isn't made of corn

01-Mar-21
If i were to use one, I would be OK with it if it were safety orange on my side.

No way in rifle season, though....

01-Mar-21
GF, the only firearm decoy I know of is the turkey full strut tail that attaches to the barrel.

01-Mar-21
No

Lewis, were they using a bow mounted decoy?

01-Mar-21
No

01-Mar-21
No, but talked to a guy at a public shoot once that got drilled by a charging antelope he didn't see . Stated if the decoy wasn't hard plastic would have gotten more than the few stitches he ended up with,

02-Mar-21
No

02-Mar-21
"...you can't outlaw stupid!"

It's been tried, but the truly stupid always feel they're above the law.

02-Mar-21
So your stupid because you use a bow mounted decoy ? Thanks for your stupid opinion !! In Montana they won't let you use a crossbow in Turkey gun season but I follow that stupid law ! A shotgun is ok but a crossbow is unsafe too funny !! Montana officials couldn't even explain why just that it is . Seriously !! I know this is a crossbow statement but I ran into this beacuse I wanted to kill one with my compound, shotgun and crossbow stupid me.

02-Mar-21
@Paul - I would want “my” side of the deke to be safety orange no matter WHAT the season.

I am not sure I would say that that’s what the law should be, but if I were going to use one, that would be my preference.

I lived in Wyoming back when you were allowed to drink while you were driving as long as you weren’t drunk.... and I have just enough libertarian tendencies to think that that makes pretty good sense.... but sadly, those libertarian sensibilities often run up against a lack of common sense....

02-Mar-21
GF, I understand. Any hunter has the OPTON to wear hunter orange IF they feel it is necessary while using such a decoy. One can surely spray paint the back side of the decoy, with Hunter Orange paint, if they feel the need. Just like bow hunters during the Colorado elk season, have the "option" to wear Hunter Orange during the overlap of ML rifle season. The other option is just do not use one. Having a Colorado regulation that prevents their use services no purpose, except as a "feel good" purpose for the author.

I want to thank you all for participating in this poll. my best, Paul

02-Mar-21
“ Having a Colorado regulation that prevents their use services no purpose, except as a ‘feel good’ purpose for the author.”

Unless they think that banning decoys will decrease the harvest total… In which case it’s something of a Wolf in Elk’s clothing.....

03-Mar-21
No, use at your own risk!! Shawn

05-Mar-21
No

05-Mar-21
I’d say make people wear blaze orange. Especially with the muzzie season. There was a kid killed a few years back during the muzzie season if I recall

06-Mar-21
The young bow hunter from Colorado was hunting elk with his dad. An out of state ML rifle hunter, shot and killed the kid. The Minnesota ML hunters stated he " did a sound shot" at what he thought was an animal, under low light situation. No decoy involved. If one is a bow hunter during the ML season, one has the option to were hunter orange if one feels the need. I do sometimes apply a hunter orange pack cover to my back pack during the ML season. Sometimes a hunter orange hat.

06-Mar-21
Paul, I *hate* that 'sound shot' BS. MaNy years ago me and a buddy took a young kid out on his first deer hunt, during gun season. He';d been listening to his a*** buddies and mentioned that 'sound shot' thing like it was a good idea. I straightened him out in a hurry. "You have a license to hunt antlered deer, not 'sounds.' What if that 'sound' is me taking a dump behind the bush? You might kill me, or worse yet, wound me. I shoot back."

The kid turned out ok ;-)

06-Mar-21
Rules here are orange during gun seasons. During bow season, it's also bird season, so if you're on state property where they stock pheasants, an orange hat is mandatory. I hunt across the street from a stocked area, so I keep an orange hat in the truck. Needed it last year when I helped a buddy track a deer that crossed the street.

• Sitka Gear